Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Have you considered consulting an audiologist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Outrail posted:

Does anyone have a better example of enshitification completely tanking a golden goose? I keep coming back to Microsoft murdering Skype.

It's already been mentioned multiple times but it bears repeating: Game of Thrones.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

euphronius posted:

Did Reddit finally nuke its readable layouts

I can’t seem to request desktop layout anymore

old.reddit.com still works, thankfully.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

bought some bagels over the holidays and the hole size was ridiculous lol. it was difficult to cut through them properly cause thye'd just fall apart due to lack of structure. id say they clawed back probably 1/2 the weight of a bagel from the middle. crazy

Or maybe you finally got a proper Montreal-style bagel for the first time in your life. Embrace it.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

:psyduck:

So what happens if your neighbor cancels their subscription? Does Leaf Guard come out and take the gutters off the house?

I choose to believe this is actually just run-of-the-mill predatory financing. Subscription is just another word for "pay a bit every month", and it further obfuscate the 27.5% terrible APR. So not paying would actually be defaulting on a loan in that case.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 11, 2024

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

redshirt posted:

Yeah I'm subscription sensitive these days, so it is more of a loan. I guess the difference would be: Finance charges, and a loan has an end date, whereas a subscription is theoretically forever.

Can't really blame you. An 11 (!) year loan on gutters might as well be a subscription.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Most (all?) of the issues I have with Teams come from its interactions with Window's absolutely psychotic handling of audio peripherals.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Beastie posted:

IT just made it so that I need to enter the digits off an RSA token to log into the work computer.

The computer that stays here at the plant.

Oh and I still need to add my password. Just why!?

One of the most important job of the RSA token is to ensure there's an actual meat-based entity in front of the computer. This is far from unreasonable.

There are some fancier auth token hardware that are meant to just stay in a usb port and be booped manually when needed, because the main point is to prevent remote access from working altogether.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 12, 2024

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

I.e. the correct way to do things

Part of the correct way to do it. It's one of those belts and suspenders situation.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

StackExchange is the absolute ideal platform for this. If someone could somehow manage to make that work well without having to gameify it to hell and back that is.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

redshirt posted:

lol looks like HP is taking the next logical step, and turning printing itself into a subscription service.

HP stands high on my list of a company whose products I used to trust implicitly, and then over the years, have now come to the point where I don't trust anything they do and will go out of my way to avoid their products.

I don't think there's any corporation that has as large of a canyon separating the quality of their consumer vs industrial offerings as HP.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Fly-by-night door to door contractors have always been lovely, but the ones peddling this year's racket of choice in my area: attic insulation, have been unusually obnoxious, numerous and persistent.

I get that having to deal with this is just part of the deal of living in a house, but holy poo poo, tone down the sale pressure a notch. Last dude was practically climbing upstairs and asking me where the attic access was before I even had a chance to tell him to gently caress off.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 30, 2024

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Lucky Greedo posted:

Talk more about this please, I'm in school for CS right now and grew up writing HTML and I Do Not understand why industry has adopted these gigantic piles of middleware to accomplish really quite simple tasks. Security issue? Some kind of pyramid scheme? I mean I hate JS too but do we really need to live like this

The industry has never actually used HTML/CSS/VanillaJS directly at scale because it has always failed at two key aspects: Reusable components and dynamic content. However, that used to all be hidden away server-side. The bloat was always there, it has just been moved to the user's browser.

The modern middleware stacks (React/Vue/Angular/etc...) are actually way easier for developers to use than the old PHP/Ruby/ASP approach if only because at least there is now only a single programming language to deal with, and you can share code between the site itself and the program that builds it. Server-side infrastructure is also basically trivial now. On the flip-side, the machinery that handles reusability and dynamic stuff are now exposed to users.

A lot of the bloat also comes from a ton of backwards-compatibility junk that the modern frameworks include to make sure sites still work on as many browsers as possible. If you don't care about that, stuff like pReact will give you an equivalent stack for about 3Kb.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 15, 2024

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

wash bucket posted:

Did they ever get rid of the crypto currency poo poo?

Not only did they not, the android version will sometimes push crypto-related ads as notifications. Or at least, it did to me last time I checked it out. (I wanted a ad-blocking chrome-based browser on my phone to chromecast some stuff)

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

As a bit of a PSA, if you ever watch a show/movie and catch yourself thinking "That music/sound effects are drowning the dialogue, wtf", then it's more often than not because a 5/7.1 mix is being played as-is on a stereo setup.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

thathonkey posted:

it's probably both

It's a minor tragedy that the rise of objectively superior induction heaters means that we have to ditch aluminum cookware, which are effectively enshitification-proof. They are far from the best, but at least they are reliably consistent.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

wash bucket posted:

Most of the Xbox 360 era PC ports are getting shakey.

Yeah, it was an... Interesting... time to be a game dev.

Even putting aside the alinenness of the PS3, getting the most of the console still often required a mountain of crafty tricks and very careful resource management. But, at the same time, the available resources were on the teetering edge of being too much for that type of development to stay stable.

E.g. The PS2 had 32mb of ram. That's pretty straightforward to manually account for. The Xbox360 has 512mb, and multiple cpu cores. You still wanted to use every last drop of it, but it was getting really tough to keep everything nicely accounted for, especially with games getting more complex on top of it all.

I feel bad for modernization and port teams having that code thrown at them without context.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 8, 2024

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Those Siennas were safe, could carry anything and anyone, could tow stuff, had decentish gas mileage, rode smoothly, and could easily make 200000 miles with basic routine maintenance. The pinnacle of automotive design.

Those OG Siennas were just boring AF versions of the Previa. :colbert:

E: I know they are completely different under the hood, I just mean as far as their place in the market is concerned.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

Sometimes, tap-to-pay works. Sometimes when I try to tap-to-pay, I get a message telling me to swipe or insert the card. How is it even possible to have a card with a chip with a tap-to-pay success rate of neither 0% nor 100%? :psyduck:

A common mistake a lot of people do is press the card against the reader in a way that slightly bends it.

The card's antenna is around the periphery of the card, and that bending will damage it over time, which messes with the signal unpredictably.