Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The whole loving planet is like a degree hotter than when I was born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
On the subject of computer janitor complaints, Microsoft used to be so good about having good documentation of their .net API.

Nowadays if you go to some UI control class, it'll be like, here's a method list, gently caress you if you want to know what they actually do.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Nah, it's actually illegal to put more than 50% air in a product labeled ice cream, which is why frozen dairy dessert is a thing.

"Premium ice cream" is required to be even denser than that.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I can't tell if this thread exists because things are actually shittier or we're all getting old and nostalgia blind.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Payndz posted:

UK trains, god drat. I'm going to London this week and am staying overnight.

Old way: go to station, buy return ticket for specified dates, get on the next train to arrive.
New way: buy tickets in advance through (deliberately?) confusing website, end up with four single tickets for a two-way journey for some bizarre reason even though it's the same train, must go on that exact train and not an earlier or later one, get email saying one of the trains won't be running so I need to change my ticket, get contradictory information about whether I can or can't swap trains/get a refund. Also it costs almost as much to go one way as it used to for a return even with the cheapest possible deal. :argh:

Meanwhile, when I lived in Italy a few years ago, it went: go to station, buy return ticket, get on the next train. And it cost about a quarter of what it does in the UK to go the same distance.

Ah 40 years of Tories and new labor, what can't you destroy.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
So far my smart tv has been ad free, but the fact that it self updates means one day it will definitely turn to poo poo

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Defenistrator posted:

Youtube Music got an update and now I pay $10 a month to get echo chambered to music being advertised to me vs legitimate music discovery.

Maybe that will teach you a lesson about ever giving money to a tech company

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Recruiters for job openings all seem five times as sketchy as they used to when I last applied for a job.

"Hello I am Deepak Chopra* representing (unintelligible) Tech Services, can I please have your date of birth and social security number for our systems so I can submit you to mystery client"

*Yes this recruiter was actually named Deepak Chopra, i'm not doing an ironic racism

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
And the company name is so consistently unintelligible with these calls, I feel like it's a goddamn conspiracy.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
And of course it's been pointed out that that's the point. They don't cut perks to save money, that cut perks to get people to leave without severance

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Have we talked about furniture itt yet?

I know a lot of the problem here is over logging and general forest destruction, but your choices for a bookshelf are a cheap $150 piece of poo poo that bends into a u shape as soon as you put books on it, or a $2000 piece of poo poo that is painted to look like real wood.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I was at a gas station that recently moved to self checkout, and you no longer scan things. You just drop it all on a table and some ai camera thing guesses the products with like 70% accuracy.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The "environmentally friendly" paper straws restaurants use are lined with so much plastic to keep them from getting soggy, I bet they actually increase the amount of plastic being dumped into the environment.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Outrail posted:

That's not wax? Seriously?

It used to be wax. It doesn't have the texture of wax in the one I just used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

anonumos posted:

Vestigial environmentalism.

It's the original definition of "virtue signaling" before the conservatives grabbed that term. A corporate entity attempting to attain a brand of something positive, through entirely token efforts and a lot of marketing.

You should, as a general rule, assume everything marketed as environmentally friendly is worse for the environment.