Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
gently caress self-checkout.

Pay your employees.

:corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok?

Then hire more employees, and pay them too!

Self-checkout is 100% a cost cutting measure. That's the entire reason they exist.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
sorry, I need to raise the prices because people are stealing more by using self checkout

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MrQwerty posted:

personally, I care more that I have to drive to a store 10 miles away from my house in order to buy stuff like toothpaste, shampoo and body wash without it being a giant loving 40 minute production involving multiple attendants and keys, than I do about a self-checkout

No idea what this means but you can be upset about more than one thing that stores are doing at the same time.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I prefer self checkout except for the very rare times where I have a loaded shopping cart. For those instances, yes, there should always be a few traditional lanes open. Otherwise, meh. Did people bitch this much when gas stations became self-serve?

Well I usually do have a loaded shopping cart, as do many, many people. The self-checkout started as 10 items or less. Then they removed that. Then more and more popped up and they removed more and more cashier lanes. Now they have self-checkouts with belts so you can do your 50+ items and have your items go down one lane so you can spend a few minutes loading your bags afterwards while another person can move a divider and have their items go down the other lane so they cane spend a few minutes loading their bags.

Doing your own gas is loving simple. Insert card, take out card, put gas in car, leave. Full service gas stations are essentially gone. I knew OR and NJ have their laws where someone has to pump your gas, but is it even full service? Do they check your tires and fluids and everything? People just want to get in and out and not have to tip someone for doing such a simple task. A gas station attendant can't do a whole lot to a modern car filled with computers and software so the job naturally died out.

Self checkout you have to enter item codes for produce, weigh everything, pack your own bags, it takes much much longer than a trained professional who knows the codes by memory and a bagger who knows food safety (which can be annoying but it's a thing). Even if I use a self-checkout for a single item, there's a 50-50 shot that when I scan the item put it on the counter it'll say there's an unexpected item and I have to wait for someone to come over and unlock it. Also if I buy booze I need a person anyway because you need approval for alcohol by an employee.

I'm glad you love it and it's convenient for your personal situation, but it's 100% about cutting costs and taking jobs. And now they're bitching much more about shrink because people are stealing more. Then places like Target develop pretty draconic security measures including a whole lot of lobbying law enforcement to really gently caress people over who steal anything.

I'll yell at this loving cloud all day!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Killingyouguy! posted:

They should automate away as many jobs as possible, I seriously doubt being a cashier is a fulfilling way to spend your limited hours on earth

Self checkout isn't automated. You, in fact, are doing all of the work.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MrQwerty posted:

where are you shopping

Grocery stores.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

deep dish peat moss posted:

I love self checkout because I hate interacting with people

Armacham posted:

Same, I wish more places had the conveyor belts though

100% expected goon response so I'll have to allow it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mawarannahr posted:

it's also very annoying that most of the time the "bagging area" is maybe slightly larger than a sheet of letter size paper, so you have to jenga your purchase and do multiple transaction/bagging cycles to avoid toppling.

Yeah that sucks too.

And lately a lot of them have the "Skip Bagging" button that pops up when you scan to apparently solve that problem but it's really finicky. If you scan and set it on the counter and hit the skip bagging, then you obviously get an error and it locks up and someone has to fix it. Sometimes I'll scan something, then try to hit the skip button but it switches to Finish and Pay too quickly so then I have to go back and hope it doesn't give me an error. I'm sure theft went up with the skip bagging button as well.

The self scanning areas always have a single person working full-time to unfuck the machines whenever they gently caress up which is essentially constantly from what I've seen.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cerekk posted:

we should be celebrating the elimination of menial labor jobs

boo hoo, there's no longer an underclass getting paid minimum wage to serve me at the grocery store

We should be paying a living wage for menial labor jobs.

As I said, self checkout is not automated. They just fired one person to make you do the exact work that they would have done and gotten paid for it.

quote:

I bet you're one of the people whining on nextdoor about the lazy garbage collectors that don't get out of their trucks anymore, too

:jerkbag:

I'm beginning to think you're a moron.

It'd be more like an unmanned garbage truck comes each week and each person has to personally throw their garbage into the back of the truck and use the levers to compress it themselves.

edit: oh, and sometimes if you throw in the wrong garbage/recycling the system locks and someone has to come by and scan their card to make the truck work again

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 3, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Expecting patrons to return carts instead of paying someone to do so is also a cost cutting measure, yet somehow that's become some sorta weird metaphor for morality, with people sharing that Shopping Craft Theory meme

You return the carts to the cart corrals which workers still go out and have to collect. You don't have to bring them all the way back to the store (most of the time). The moral part is people just pushing their cart away and leaving it as a hazard to everyone else in the parking lot.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah that's why I said "most of the time."

Aldi here doesn't have a cart corral but the parking lot is small and if you leave your cart then you lose your quarter required to access the cart in the first place. That's the only place I've ever seen that though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got Nord a while back. My internet got shut off and I called and asked why and they said it was due to torrenting. I checked my spam folder and all of the messages from Spectrum about it went right there for some odd reason. I haven't heard anything since I got Nord. It's cheap.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Rochallor posted:

Can't seem to find a source but I recall from back in the day that media companies were able to sue torrenters for huge amounts of money based on the premise that they were seeding pirated material to hundreds or thousands of people. So it's not that direct downloads are legal, it's that they could only sue you for $15 or whatever the cost of the DVD is and that's a complete waste of time.

I remember way back in the day some ISPs wanted to ban all torrenting but some big companies like Blizzard used torrents to distribute WoW or something like that and the ISPs couldn't do it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Random Stranger posted:

If I didn't sign up for a marketing e-mail and they started sending them to me anyways, then it's spam and should be blocked and the sender should be blocked until they stop doing that. It is not my responsibility to opt-out of poo poo that I never opted into. And there are a lot of big companies who just automatically sign you up for garbage without informed consent. So flag them, block them, and get them blocked until they stop doing this.

Yeah this is an issue. I signed up for a 5k a few years ago and got put on their mailing list. I opted out of theirs after a while but naturally they gave my info to tons of other running organizations so I'm still getting them and opting out from time to time.

edit: that's just one example of many

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

but last I heard the edge of tomorrow sequel is cancelled again, but you could read the manga it's based on to get closure if you like.

I am not a big tom cruise fan but I like that one a lot somehow.

Can't do it without Bill Paxton. :smith:

https://i.imgur.com/S2zZuXV.mp4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

doctorfrog posted:

I'm kinda sick of big ol' companies just changing the things I have to interface with every day, without notification, without consulting me, without giving me options, and (as with Google) leaving it to me to discover and speculate on what the drat change actually was.

Microsoft pioneered this approach, Google perfected it.

Thunderbird just did this. A new update a month or two ago changed all of the font and it's all closer together and it makes it much harder to read anything. No idea who came up with that idea.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

credburn posted:

When my roommate joined the Army in 2005 he said somethingawful was one of the websites banned from his work computer and the reason listed was "tasteless"

Fun fact: VA hospitals allow it on their computers! At least in the psych ward.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jaguars! posted:

My local doctors had something like this happen. When the long time physicians retired they sold it to a regional group that must suck because the turnover is constant. The last four visits were all different docs, so I just kind of gave up. Their still send me emails every few months with their latest changes, even all the ones I saw have gone.

This is happening constantly here too. Local dentists, doctors, and optometrists.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just use discord as a chatroom. 99.5% of the time on PC. I'm unaware of all of these features or why I need them.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

shazbot posted:

I have been bagging my own groceries since I was 16 and got a job as a bag boy. I know what I’m doing, it’s just easier. It’s not the labor that bothered me. It’s the Bzzt upc not complete. Bzzt unknown item in the bagging error. Bzzt too many upcs detected. Things like Is this a normal size or large artichoke? Oh no you’ve taken too many things off the bagging/weigh table to make more room to bag stuff. Clearly there are two sides here. Side A has tried it, lolled, and posted about it in this thread. Side B lols because they think the goons are too lazy to do their own bagging!

I don’t know who side B is or what they are astroturfing but self checkout is a goddamn scam.

Related, for the past 5 years or so our Fry’s (Kroger) had hired those with learning disabilities. To do menial (bagging and cart return) duties. My wife was a sped teacher and always enjoyed talking to one of these people in particular who also made it priority to bag our items (even though I would have preferred to do it myself).

Fry’s let her go so a lovely robot can make you do her job. She never should have had a job (UBI/disability) but nevertheless

This is really puzzling me as well. Especially for goons.

If I have 5 items and no alcohol I'll use a self-checkout if I think it will be faster, but that's almost never the case. I go grocery shopping once every week or two. That tiny counter will not hold all of my groceries and I'll have to be fighting the system with the skip bagging button and I will almost assuredly get an error. Each item I scan increases the chances of it loving up.

I get that a lot of the side B goons are European but their entire grocery shopping culture is not like the US where every grocery store is Costco sized and mom's fill up a full-sized cart to the brim to get all of the poo poo for their family on a set schedule. A lot of Euro people grocery shop loving daily where they can just walk down the street to a tiny market and grab their poo poo in one bag and go. Or enough to take working public transport.

That's not how it works in my area of the US. I'd like to stress "my area" because the US is loving huge and every place is different. If I lived in NYC my grocery shopping experience would be far different than here in the midwest. I can't walk in -30F weather to the local Italian/German/Mexican/Indian etc market to get everything I need for two weeks. I drive a few miles to the warehouse sized store with a few feet of a shelf labeled "International Foods" and get my poo poo.

The whole "you're just too lazy to bag your own groceries" argument is pretty loving stupid and disingenuous.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 10, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Kit Walker posted:

The Asda near where I used to live in the UK had self-checkouts with maaaaaassive bagging areas. Certainly big enough to fit an entire cart on them. And they ended up getting rid of about 10 lanes to replace them with 30 more of these machines. I was visiting there around last Christmas and it was wild to see something like 50 people all checking their stuff out at once while another 100 were waiting their turn and getting through pretty quickly. At the very least it was working out more efficiently than the original 20 lanes would've been going

That'd at least be more helpful. About 95% of the ones I've seen at all grocery stores here are this:

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Try using one of these monstrosities when you can't bend/twist at the waist, it's a hoot. Also I recently watched a dude in a wheelchair struggle to move all his poo poo from the right side to the left because each platform is a totally different height for some reason.

lol gently caress you I'm not scanning 30 items on that. I did mention earlier though that one store near me has one or two self checkouts with a conveyor belt but that's the most expensive place around.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I watched a neat program on grocery stores a few months ago. I think it was a History Channel the-people-that-built-America type thing. When general stores started off, people would go in and hand their list to the grocer and they'd go in the back and pick everything out for them. The customer had very little to no choice of brands. They got whatever the store owner had. It was revolutionary, apparently, to have all of the products out on shelves so that the customer could actually pick and choose what product they wanted with a larger selection of brands.

I don't remember most of the program but it was interesting. Shifting the workload onto the customer to pick their own groceries out was initially to give the customer more power and choice and it created mass competition from brands. That's generally good for capitalism. Self-checkout does not give anything to the customer besides inconvenience. You may say, "well it's so much faster because their are no lanes open!" Yeah. Exactly. The grocery store artificially created that problem. If they were properly staffed and paid then that wouldn't be an issue but you know... the other side of capitalism... :shrug:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

is pepsi ok posted:

I used to get this big resealable bag of frozen fruit for smoothies, except the glue attaching the ziploc to the bag was somehow weaker than the ziploc itself. So whenever I went to open a new bag I would just rip the ziploc right off the side of the packaging and now I can't reseal it anymore.

This happens to me all the time now. I have to be super careful every time I open a resealable bag.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Gotta get a thumbnail in there to crack the seal and then it might go ok.

I have a severe nail biting issue so I never have any. :(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

GolfHole posted:

fingerprint scanners are great cause fingerprints transfer to a lot of things well like silly putty or a strip of conducting tape or even sometimes just a hot dog.

oh ya time theft is a crime blah blah blah.

One of the, if not the most widespread corporate crime in America is wage theft.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Biplane posted:

Not only corporate crime, but all crime.

Hmm, looks like you're correct from the skimming I'm doing. Wage theft seems to be the number one form of theft in the United States.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The only time I almost reliably had fingernails was maybe just a year or so when I was prescribed klonopin every day.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I hate the apps

I hate having an app for loving everything. Or an account for everything. McDonald's is pretty expensive now but goons will be like "yeah just use the app and you get free poo poo sometimes." No. All of those fast food apps are just data harvesting devices. gently caress you.

I went to the grocery store last week and got some cheaper not-behind-the-deli lunch meat. I haven't ever purchased Smithfield ham before but the day after I got it, and ever since, I started getting facebook ads for Smithfield meats.

Fuuuuuuckkkk..... youuuuuuuuu........

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

A Strange Aeon posted:

Why does anybody use Doordash or Uber Eats or Lyft Carbs or whatever? Even if it's convenient to have food delivered, it seems like it costs way more and the quality is often questionable.

Yep. I've used Doordash or something twice during the pandemic yeah, just too expensive. If a place uses a service like that for delivery, I just don't order from them.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

It’s literally the only way to order delivery from 99% of the restaurants in my area

Yeah a whole lot of places here too.

So in my situation, I just rarely get delivery anymore. :shrug:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
edit: ^^^ my ex-wife's family was like that. They'd get takeout just about every single night. Probably during the day too. They were rich of course. Her dad was a corporate pilot. I, quite literally, had to teach her how to boil water. I know what you're thinking, "no loving way anyone could be that incompetent." You are wrong my friend.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Every time I think about food delivery apps I remember a Reddit post from 4-5 years ago where someone tallied up their orders at the end of the year and realized they spent $16,000 in food deliveries for one year

:stare:

That's more than I spend on food period.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 13, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

PhazonLink posted:

i mean did they burn the water?

there's internet posts of cooking stupidity that are amazingly low.

She just didn't know how. I stared at her blankly for a while and said to put water in the pot and apply high heat and wait until it boils. But I don't know if she understood what boiling was.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cactus Ghost posted:

gently caress thats more than i spend on rent

Double my mortgage lol.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I hardly ever eat fast food, and holy poo poo is the experience just loving awful now. About a month ago, I was going to visit my dad, and he asked me to pick up an order at Taco Bell for him. He had already ordered and paid online and set a pick up time in the store. I ended up waiting 40 minutes in the lobby for some tacos because as it turns out, the fast food priority list for orders is 1) drive through (because this is the metric that the store's performance is based on almost exclusively), 2) curbside orders (for DoorDash), 3) walk in orders, then 4) pick up orders.

I'm not sure it's possible to get your food in under 15 minutes because you're either going into a very long drive through line or you're rolling the dice on whether your online order will get processed at all.

Combined with the weird game you have to play with pricing (everything is too expensive and you can only order certain items via the restaurant's app or get coupons via signing up for text promotions), I'm at a loss for why anyone does this on a regular basis. I can order a colossal burger and fries from a local place for less, and I can just call in the order and pick it up when it's supposed to be ready.

Yep. I'm pretty fed up with fast food. The entire reason I'd get it when I was younger is because it was cheap. Now the quality is down, despite everyone saying they're making it better, and the prices are way up. I can get a Big Mac combo for $12 or whatever or get an Italian beef sandwich with fries at my local bar for $10.

I tried to look up whatever the Big Mac combo cost near me via the McDonald's website but was presented with this in which I have to download their app or use the other delivery services to just to view their prices.

gently caress you!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Quote-Unquote posted:

Which leads me to the other thing that got shittier: no premade/fast food that says 'hot' or 'spicy' on it is hot or spicy anymore. A bit like sour candy. Did we all collectively just get too desensitised to spice/sour stuff and that's why it sucks now, or is it actually worse? Thankfully there are still decent hot sauces that aren't the gimmicky "rear end blaster 5000" kind of bullshit that actually taste of something as well as having a bit of heat, but it sucks I can't just take something off the supermarket shelf, heat it up and have something that has a bit of a kick to it.

It is very very much the exact opposite. At least in the US.

Good luck getting anything spicier than black pepper 50 years ago. Now you can get a single spicy chip at a gas station and die.

I, thankfully, attribute immigration to it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

edit: it's supposed to say "I made them" not "I'm" but I can't find a better one and she is quite sloppy so I'm leaving it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've never had a real salisbury steak before, but it is probably my go to for frozen dinners.

I love 'em.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

wash bucket posted:

Here, have some more content.

I'm running my 2014 Subaru Forester into the ground. I've had it 10 years now and it's still excellent. I truly dread in the future when I need a new car having to talk to a salesperson about seat warmer monthly subscriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

Not sure if this is the same article, but the whole thing is pretty crazy.

https://www.versobooks.com/blogs/news/4385-failing-to-plan-how-ayn-rand-destroyed-sears

That is batshit insane.