Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

feverish and oversexed posted:

everyones exhausted

except the capitalists

It’s this. People only have so much time/bandwidth, so it’s gotten to the point where it’s like haslows hierarchy of needs; the poo poo beyond mere subsistence gets pushed to the side because we’re barely keeping our heads above water as it is. Meanwhile, capitalists have all the time/money in the world to hire a platoon of people with fancy degrees to actively make the world a worse place (who themselves feel beholden to their paycheck for one reason or another). For example, it’s honestly made me very disenchanted with the whole legal profession (which is itself something that has gotten way shittier over the last decade or so)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Southern Cassowary posted:

this is like every annoyance i have with google maps solved, you convinced me to try apple maps

:same:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Finally: are some TV streaming devices that have more ads inserted than others? My friend has a Roku and I swear the YouTube app on it has more commercials than the YouTube app on other devices. It's so frequent that it's almost unwatchable and I don't understand why ads just can't be at the beginning of a video only.

I think that the number of ads that play are partially determined by the uploader, so it may depend on the specific content you are watching on youtube, as well

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Grocery stores. Publix is still good, though

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

bossy lady posted:

I hope the UI is a lovely version of a create a character menu in something like saints row

Having also experienced this bullshit more and more recently, it’s typically “buzz cut; haircut; haircut w/ shears” or something equally ambiguous but each falls in a range between 20 and 60 dollars so I usually book the cheapest option and then negotiate w/cash when I actually get in the chair

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

You Are A Elf posted:

Yard sales (garage sales, tag sales, or whatever you prefer) seem to have all but disappeared for good in my area. I think the Covid lockdown had a huge part in their demise, and now people probably don’t want to set up shop outside their home where strangers can walk about freely on their property and touch stuff. I also think scumbag resellers had a part in it like they’ve ruined thrift stores by buying up all the decent stuff to make a profit while leaving behind the literal junk no one wants, and what homeowner wants to go through disposing of unsellable garbage?

I bought so much great stuff at yard sales over the decades, and it’s sad to see no more cardboard boxes with neon poster board addresses scrawled badly on them :(

Yard sales and rummage sales have basically been on a decline since Craigslist and Facebook marketplace took off. Any of the really good stuff gets sold off piecemeal pre-sale, or it gives people unrealistic expectations about what their stuff is worth so they want to try and sell you a lovely pot planter for $10

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Buce posted:

just reading about one drive makes me seethe

Wild that we got a whole antitrust crusade because of loving Internet Explorer yet everyone’s asleep at the wheel re vertical integration cloud storage , MS store front, etc.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Regulatory capture affects most facets of the us executive unfortunately

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Yea, but what do you wipe the excess water off with? Ain’t keeping no butt towel next to my toilet.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Dog training is about training you, as the owner, to be consistent; you have to do the correct steps every time, not just some times. Also, if your dog isn’t tired, it’s going to find ways to annoy you.

Same as that previous poster; when people ask me why my dog is so well behaved, I just say that I take them for several 30 minute walks a day (at least once in the morning and once in the early evening) and that I try to focus more on what I want the dog to be doing in a given scenario and less on what I don’t want it to be doing (I.e., redirection). These people then just look at me like I’ve got a screw loose and then give me “reasons” why they can’t be expected to do anything other than just put their dog in their tiny backyard alone for several hours while they work/play on the computer.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

I worked on a board for a couple years that had a SMD USB-C port, and the physical design of the USB-C SMD part is the weakest link in the hardware of the standard. It's so tiny, so complex, very hard to work on/fix, and leaves a lot of room to break pins or traces with minor flex.

I had to replace my new Lenovo laptop recently because the usb-c charging port was damaged somehow (power surge, flexing,etc); unfortunately, the damaged port was on the motherboard rather than a sister/daughter board and I have no technical proficiency, so to repair/replace the motherboard would have cost (labor/parts) about the same as simply buying an all new computer. Honestly, I only really use my comp as a word processor/email machine and I do harbor serious concerns regarding tech pollution, so I try not to replace my laptop/electronics more often than absolutely necessary (kept my predecessor laptop for approximately a decade), so that really chapped me

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Honestly, if you’re going to talk loud into your cellphone anyways, I say let me hear the other side of the conversation so I can at least have some context. I don’t want no “if it wasn’t for my horse, I wouldn’t have spent that semester in college” poo poo rattling around in my head from the freezer aisle

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

StormDrain posted:

Goddamn dude. How do you feel about a friend telling you a story? Or a professor giving a lecture?

Like most internet slap fights, Reductionism will surely be helpful to this discussion

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

AARD VARKMAN posted:

can anyone recommend a good weather widget for Android, I've had AccuWeather forever and it kind of seems like a piece of poo poo more than usual recently

Wunderground

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I read that all in Andy Rooney’s voice

E.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

withak posted:

When I got my Safeway club card their system was down so they just handed me the card without taking any personal info, it ruled.

Whenever I encounter one of these free discount programs (Safeway, raley’s, vons, etc. I just wait until they’ve rung everything up and then say “hey, can I sign up for an account, but just fill out the info later but get the discount now?” They either swipe their own card or just give me the card without making me sign up, etc. just to keep the line moving

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Okay, i’ll just go to a local store for my very specific thing and- oops, the stores stopped carrying this one weird purchase, because people don’t buy mattress garters or a four-outlet spigot adapter or a bottle of more than ten prilosec in person anymore

I was going to solve my problem by going to the place that society has incentivized us to go to for our specific and uncommon purchases but forums poster modal auxiliary thinks there is ethical consumption under capitalism

The hit dog hollers

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Outrail posted:

Yeah, I think that's what I was trying to get at. You're not the only one. It's hard to articulate without sounding like a luddite or regressive boomer but it's there. Kind of like 'its sucking the magic and wonder out of everything' at a really low boring level.

Kurt Vonnegut wrote about these and similar concepts in his first published novel, Player Piano. I’d highly recommend

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

:rolleyes:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

withak posted:

You absolutely got knockoff oral-b toothbrush heads.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

Make Blurnsball happen. Spice it up a little, MLB

Two words: Gun Circle

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

some Top Cat coin-on-a-string poo poo

Lol that SA’s demographic is old enough to remember coin-op machines, let alone Top Cat

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I found that an air fryer that can only be used on a timer (the Costco special) is great for the late night drunk munchies, and if you pass out you won't burn your poo poo down.

#alcoholichacks

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

The man’s diagnosed with COPD and basically dying but it’s really important to him that the doctors think he’s taking care of himself I guess

As has been stated multiple times, it’s not the doctors he’s worried about, but his insurers.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

My car doesn’t have this, but my dad’s enormous F-150 (or something) does and it freaks me out. I’ll stop at a light and not even notice the engine shut off until it buckles and groans as I put my foot on the pedal to go.

I get that it’s to cut down on emissions and save fuel, but maybe in lieu of that you could just buy a smaller vehicle?

Have you spoken with your dad about his small dick energy?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

gg everybody but can we wrap up”how I learned typing” chat plz

I feel like riding a bicycle in urban settings is something that has gotten significantly worse over the last few years. Drivers seem way more aggressive/vindictive since the pandemic, if they’re even looking at the road instead of their phone. And nobody checks their corners anymore cause Google maps said to turn right so why even look. And god forbid you tell someone that you commute by bike; they can’t wait to tell you about that one time somebody on a bike didn’t even stop at the stop sign (so why should they have to either :smug: ) or about how somebody they knew one time got hit/killed while riding a bike, etc. car culture loving suuuuuuucks

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Fine, we can talk about beans in chili if you’re so drat adamant about it

E. And tipping culture is OUT OF CONTROL!

E2. And yes, I bought the beans via self checkout :unsmigghh:

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 10, 2024

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

The fast drivers blaze past me, I get home five minutes later than before, but a lot happier. Slow lane + speed limit is the way to go sometimes.

I used to be a super speeder on the interstate, but then I learned to stick to my aunt’s “60-65 in the far right lane” strategy and, honestly, yea, it’s a lot more relaxing

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Cerekk posted:

It would be incredibly simple to make it free and easy to get an ID

lol we got a brain genius here folks

E. Jfc this guy . Has you thought about instituting a poll tax or poll test yet, too?

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 14, 2024

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Just fyi that’s exactly how it works in the US with regard to polling place registration. It’s just the method of poll registration is voluntary (generally you sign up for your local polling station when you change your mailing address with the postal office or renew your drivers license/ID)

E. Beat

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

rtings.com has been good to me so far, fyi

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Recess = an hour in “the yard”

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

In all my experiences the more a landlord tells you they're a "good one" they are actually a slumlord

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Pedants are getting worse, that’s for sure

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

moist banana bread posted:

Go click around that website on waybackmachine and tell me it has not always been a steaming pile of dogshit.

I’m more of a moviepoopshoot.com kind of guy, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

One time I was 9 and I was walking around on a blazing Summer day and really really hot and dehydrated so I knocked on some random person's door and asked for a glass of water and they went and got me one and I drank it and gave them the glass back thanked them walked away and nothing horrible happened.

“This tea tastes kind of like bitter almonds… and those stuffed animals are quite realistic…”