Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

AARD VARKMAN posted:

all the major food delivery apps spent a few years competing to have better UI/features than eachother and the last few years systematically removing those features and making their search less useful

:hai: this is like 10+ years ago now, but Amazon did the same thing, probably for the same reason - scammers complained. I quit (cold turkey :imunfunny:) delivery apps 2+ years ago, but I noticed that a lot of :airquote: restaurants :airquote: were just some random business address. Yes I'm aware of ghost kitchens and marketing ghouls creating competing lines from the same store, but it seems more like the 21st century version of the hotel-pizza-flyer scam. That scam is still running hot and heavy near major resorts, I stayed in a hotel near Sea World 6ish months ago and there was a big :lol: warning in the lobby about ordering food from adverts slid under the door. Ofc there were still a ton of adverts and I still saw people getting 'Little Tonys' delivered. :laffo: 20 bux for chicken wings!

ElectricSheep posted:

not tech related but I swear Pizza Hut used to taste better like, when you went to their actual sit down joints

I know my sense of taste changes but I just had some decent pizza last night and I was like drat this is like what Pizza Hut used to taste like. not great but decent

:tinfoil: IMO a lot of major suppliers are purposefully using cheaper ingredients as a way to kick up profits. Junk food that I used to think was sorta OK tasting (ofc its literal poison) now tastes like worse. Chipotle and Panera quality took a loving nosedive over the pandemic and never returned, especially Panera. I've had better salads from a display fridge in an airport :barf:

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

GolfHole posted:

ALL food is worse now. EVERY supplier is using the lovely stuff.

:hmmyes: I moved halfway through the pandemic and I thought that the local grocery store just had lovely produce, but it seems like everywhere has lovely produce. Also Vons steaks went from p. decent to super greasy. :shrug: Frikken pandemic has made me effectively stop eating beef.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

With hold music, yeah there's a Tom Scott video on that, but basically first off all the audio on the phones are badly compressed specifically to retain voice, which screws over music which has far more range, but often now the music is getting compressed in the corporate communication systems at multiple points each time turning more and more garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2A8q3XIhu0&t=100s

Higher voice compression algorithms don't even use voice, they use a series of tones to approximate voice. If you're on a corporate phone network and you call an extension thats outside your office, your voice stream will be up & downsampled at least twice :byoscience:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I'm shopping for a specific kind of used car, which even a few years ago was relatively straightforward, but recently has become excruciating. Regular Google sends me down a hell of adwords and bullshit listings from years ago. Car specific sites like Autotrader are saturated with "sponsored listings" which have literally nothing to do with what I'm looking for. Free sites like Craigslist are out-and-out-liars - the most recent annoyance is scummy used car lots listing good vehicles for good prices, and in the fine print saying that price is the down payment. Who the gently caress are they fooling with an 8k down payment on a 22k vehicle? Simple sorts by things like "less than 100k miles" and "less than 20k dollars" are worthless, because (again) scummy used car lots list the cars by the payment price and not the sale price. Some real shitheels list the vehicle with the mileage off the new engine. Then there's the general internet fuckery of listing cars on the internet that they dont have possession of, photoshopped pics on listings, trying to pass a salvage title off as clean, etc.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Buce posted:

I had a black and white sears television in my bedroom until the year 2000. loved that little guy.

:hfive: I too had a little 10” black and white sears TV. Apocryphally my parents bought when my dad was stationed in Germany and it survived their shipping container falling in the harbor when they moved back to the states. I can’t begin to fathom any modern TV surviving any of that

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I deleted my Facebook account a few years ago and never looked back, but with of the enshittification of online marketplace sites, I was sorta forced to recreate a Facebook account so I can browse Facebook Marketplace. If you're trying to buy an inexpensive used car, there really isnt anything better than loving Facebook.

Although to be clear, Facebook Marketplace has been enshittified as well - generally speaking, I seem to hit some random number of searches where I can no longer sort by lowest price. Once I hit that number, sorting by lowest price brings back 1-2 bullshit 0 dollar items with nothing to do with anything - for example searching for "high top van" brings back tons of vehicles in the Suggested search, lowest price first bring back two ads for people giving away kids shoes.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I have a Smart TV, but I have used a collective 60ish hours on it within the last 3 years - Exactly long enough to watch Dune once, and beat GoW Ragnarok.

My desktop monitor is wayyyyy loving bigger than the TV we had throughout my childhood. Its bigger than the TV I had through college, and its nearly as big as the TV I had in my 30s. :filez: are obviously easier to play natively on a PC, and SmartTvs are still very loving stupid w/r/t streaming and transcoding video files, so I just gave up :shrug:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

SlimGoodbody posted:

I was permabanned from Twitter a month ago for being too funny towards a fascist, and noticed today that I can't follow a link to a tweet using a mobile browser anymore. It just takes me to a landing page that tells me to make an account, which I can't do.

😀👍

Yeah I think Twitter decided to force everyone to log in to view tweets.

Its actually sorta amazing, watching the two biggest :airquote: social networks :airquote: collapse in real time.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Head Bee Guy posted:

I haven’t looked at it since i made the horrifying discovery. All the clips are very fem coded. ALL the products are pastel pink or beige

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

I used to be heavily addicted to Amazon shopping, but after Marc 2020 when the prices all exploded I quit that poo poo and now use it exclusively as a cheap auto parts store. I went into the Amazon app to go look for what you're talking about, and my :airquote: Discovery :airquote: feed is entirely cheap off-road LED lights and pink/rose gold/beige 'car accessories'

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Jelly posted:

As a lifetime chronic sales-shopper, sales at grocery stores are becoming way more predatory and difficult to take advantage of.

One of the main offenders is the "you have to buy 5" of the things to get the discount. This has always existed but now it's like half of the available sales. Not super realistic for a single person household.

The other one is requiring an app and "scanning" coupons to add to your card. This doesn't even work on my phone. Like my phone can scan QR codes (I've eaten at restaurants that require it) but it doesn't work for these. I asked an associate about it and they're just like "just take pictures and show the cashier and have them adjust it" and I'm like I'm not going to annoy the gently caress out of the cashier, they didn't ask for this either.

So in addition to the general inflation of goods, stores are taking heavy steps to make any kind of savings a huge pain in the rear end.

My local grocery store has taken to repricing everything for holiday weekends. I'll admit I live in a bougie/touristy place, but its a loving Vons charging seven dollars for a jar of jam.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BigHead posted:

The preference exists on mobile, but even if you toggle the preference on mobile it doesn't even apply your selection to PC (or anywhere else you listen to it, like a smart TV).

Still better than Pandora, though, gently caress that place. I was an original Pandora subscriber from when they were new and the only game in town. I spent over a decade perfectly curating several stations. Then they enshittified their algorithm. Want to listen to 80s hair metal sometimes, chill out with lowfi hip hop at other times, and play some Stick Figure while you cook dinner? Too bad, here are some some Imagine Dragons and Taylor Swift songs crammed into every piano concerto and Mongolian throat singing station you have.

:haibrower:

IMO Pandora was the first online service to poo poo itself up to uselessness. It got to the point where it insisted on playing Modest Mouse in every single one of my playlists, even all instrumental electronica stations I had curated for years and years.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Yeah literally all the local alternative rock radio stations were bought out - one by ClearChannel, one being sold to another mid-sized conglomerate and the other basically buying itself into a tiny radio commune thing. They all suck now - the tiny radio commune doesnt have any money for licensing, so they play weird 80s b-sides all the time and say its part of their heritage or whatever, the mid sized radio station has very generic DJs who obviously are not live/from here and they play a lot of pop, and the big ClearChannel station stopped playing pink floyd.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Captain Hotbutt posted:

The traffic around my city has gotten shittier.

10 years ago, visiting some family was about a 3, 3.5 hour drive. Now it's 4 hours minimum, and the deadlock always happens in the same spot.

Traffic hit peak awesome at the start of COVID, and its been in a death spiral since then. It seems like drivers are resigned to sit in gridlock now.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Thesaurus posted:

Super easy returns is definitely one of their few remaining positive traits

skooma512 posted:

I'm sure that's next on the chopping block.

:tinfoil: I've noticed lately on amazon returns that it lists the price as 0.00 dollars, even for returns to the Amazon Hub. While it may be a legacy in their awful interface from charging for return shipping, I kinda think otherwise

PhazonLink posted:

i havent gotten burn by amazon yet, but their drop ship problem also makes me extremely against using them for order food or other stuff used for body stuff.

its a real Catch 22 with them, because they utterly destroyed all the smaller competitive retail sites. Even a lot of the not-very-small companies are just setting up their own Amazon storefronts instead of messing around with their own website / distribution.

but any name brand consumer good is almost certainly counterfeit - cosmetics, soaps, shampoos, any article of clothing on the site, any domestic good (I bought a :airquote: wool :airquote: blanket and it reeked of gasoline so badly that you could get a whiff through the packaging.) To further the Catch 22 - Amazons pipeline of Alibaba trash at regular prices has utterly hosed the secondhand market. Trying to find anything authentic, like say a wool blanket, is impossible. A lot of times people dont even know what they're selling is fake.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MS Teams is such a staggering piece of poo poo that is being pushed through solely because of Microsofts complete monopoly on the office workspace. Its good for MS right now, but its going to have the opposite effect because everyone hates teams SO MUCH

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

Cloud storage is so unintuitive that any benefit it may have is vastly outweighed by the confusion it causes

People understood local saves and emailing a file. This cloud nonsense is opaque. When it works, which it does not all of the time

but cloud storage still works right sometimes, as compared to Sharepoint which I have literally never seen work correctly

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The problem here is that no one is actually making office communication software worth a drat. The 'best' version of this is arguably Slack, which *just* figured out that maybe more then one window is a pretty cool feature. It's still dogshit.

Every electron app without exception is a steaming pile of poo poo.

:hai: WebRTC should've ripped the doors open on collaboration software, because it had always been held that the mic & camera were the hardest parts, but as it turns out nobody has any idea what a good communication client would look like. Some brainiac figured out that everyone lives in email anyway, so they cribbed the interface (actually for Slack, which MS 100% stole) and made it chat-object focused instead of email focused. It should work, because humans have been using letter style communication for thousands of years, but it somehow doesnt.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

My work literally took away our landlines and made us use teams for calls

Landline telephones are probably one of the most success technologies ever

There has been like 50 emails this year about how people should not use work phones now to dial 911 lol

:hai: this is what I :airquote: do :airquote: professionally (migrate phone systems to the cloud) and there's a lot of really interesting stupid groupthink on how office collaboration should work. Middle management has decided that nobody talks on the phone and everyone chats now. Also there is a very big groupthink to push services to the cloud to cut costs, but I can say confidently that moving your phone system to the cloud is usually more expensive than the on-premise solution they've been using for years. RE: 911, there's a bunch of recent federal laws passed saying that anyone should be able to walk up to any phone and dial 911, and the operator should be able to resolve that phone call to a physical location with X amount of feet. Combine these things together, plus the general shittiness of MS Teams with hardware devices, and middle management across the board is being pushed to pull handsets from desks entirely.

which is a real motherfucker, because after auditing a shitload of Business Unit Leader types across numerous business/industries, people need their phones, and they need them to work.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
one of the BU leaders I interviewed was a scientist managing a team of scientists at a manufacturing company. Their office phone had worked when everyone was sent home for COVID. Seemingly the telecom department was going to provision a remote phone/client for them, and instead just deleted the entire line and then stopped responding to the BU leader. Since the BU leader still needed to speak with the outside world & didnt want to give out their personal cell to vendors and poo poo, they created a free Zoom account, and then would create a half hour meeting with two participants, and then would force the conference platform to dial outbound to whomever she wanted to call. They worked that way for months :stare:

Executives see IT as a cost center, nothing more. They truly and honestly dont care how the peons work as long as the work gets done. Which is a double :lol::lmao: with the entirely-articifial RTO mandate poo poo

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

skooma512 posted:

Hey let’s make multiuser PCs untenable by clogging up everyone’s profile with 1Gb to 4Gb of service worker cache just for an IM program that runs in a loving web browswer

This is the part that kills me. There is no MS Teams :airquote: Client :airquote: its just a very lovely web page using WebRTC for the mic and camera. MS Teams is actually a very lovely, very advanced company intranet site with semi-working Sharepoint links circa 2012.

skooma512 posted:

Makes sense. Apple wants features and updates to put in IOS every year, Google notoriously doesn’t give a gently caress about products after release and eventually just sunsets them or lets them stagnate.

Google maps can sorta go gently caress itself. I ran into a (vaguely) life-threatening bug with their dumb app once - I was driving back over the Grapevine last summer and there was a fire so they closed 5. The traffic reroute went out Lancaster and other godawful places, where there isn't very good cell phone coverage. I had Google maps of the entire area saved to my phone. What happened
- Google maps with cell reception understood the fire closures and wanted to send me on the proscribed route, but there was shitloads of traffic as a four lane freeway was forced down one lane of traffic on side streets.
- Google maps, again with cell reception, kept offering shortcut routes up through the random hills around the Grapevine. I dont know that area at all, but I was in my truck so I figured I could always drive across fire roads or whatever if need be.

I turn off from the main traffic and head up the mountain. The loving instant Google maps loses reception, it immediately forgets the route and tries to send me back to the fire-closed freeway WITHOUT ANY NOTIFICATION WHATSOEVER I ended up driving around in an insane circle for the better part of two hours while Google maps flickered between reception and no reception. I didn't realize at first and I obviously didn't know the area, I just kept driving and would look down and see the route went right back to Highway 5, and at first I thought that maybe they got the fire under control? Then my phone would get any sort of reception and it would send me right back. The instant it either got/lost signal, it would just jump to the other route and there was nothing I could do about it. I think it was something to do with Carplay and google maps, but eventually I gave up and took the normal route and had to tell the phone to stfu while it kept pinging me for an hour to turn around :argh:

Fwiw I tried Apple Maps and it wanted me to go out to San Bernadino :dafuq:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I actually used to like Panera every now and then and their food quality has gone up over the years, but these days a half sandwich, half salad and a drink will end up over $20. I stopped going.

:same: I feel like their food quality plateaued about two years ago and has been declining (like eveywhere else). I ate at Panera once a few months ago and the salad was airport-grade at best, plus it was a solid 20 for the :airquote: Panera :airquote: lunch - salad, drink, cookie.

EDIT

for content, and in the same vein - Chipotle. They're all poo poo now. Everything is stale, the portions are pathetic, and its really expensive for what it is now. Also I feel like their chicken is 100x greasier, although maybe related to my Panera quality complaints, I once heard that Panera and Chipotle source their chicken together, and Panera gets the white meat and Chipotle gets the dark?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:pusheen:

ahgahahahahahahahahahahaha

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

GolfHole posted:

Hmm maybe it's easier to just get rid of February.

No the trick is to add a month, like Kodak did

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Plan R posted:

I was clearing out some old stuff and found a receipt from Jack in the Box.

It was for a medium spicy chicken sandwich with fries and a coke.

Total = 6.97

Date -> 2003

:hai: the exploding prices of fast food made me finally quit that junk. Nineteen motherfucking dollars for a double western bacon cheeseburger with a chocolate shake the size of a sippy cup. Also had the privilege of being told to park while the workers inside struggled with a 1 person order at 3:15 in the afternoon :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

ryde posted:

The original sin was allowing browsers to become environments for hosting JavaScript applications instead of insisting that they remain a way of viewing linked documents and maybe sending a payload of data to a server via a button+post.

ehhhhhhhhhhhh using the browser as a hardware abstraction layer for poo poo like WebRTC instead of using ten disparate installed clients (each with their own need for support) is really cool and good

capitalism is obsessed with showing moving pictures on every shiny surface possible so most web browsers are wasted on dumb poo poo

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Violet_Sky posted:

Lol LinkedIn loving blows now. Half the job offers are crypto/other scams.

:haibrower:

I get daily messages from randos saying "i am very impressed with your job history, would you be interested in franchise opportunities?"

What the gently caress does one have to do with the other, and why in the everloving gently caress would I be looking for franchise opportunities from LinkedIn.

Also I'd say that around 90% of the job opportunities on LinkedIn are bullshit. I've spoken with three different internal recruiters/hiring managers for companies about senior pre-sales positions, only to have them bait and switch to a tech position doing installation for 75% of the listed pay. Ofc they're still going to expect you to work with customers and support sales people, they're just desperately trying to overtalent positions because of :airquote: the market :airquote:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
My lovely tiny credit union's website has joined the club. They added 2FA, but it wont remember the browser. They added 2FA to their app at the same time, and neither will it remember you, the Apple automagic of the 6 digit code being autofilled doesn't work. Once inside, they changed the layout of the website to make it like Mint or whatever, but its just a checking and savings account. There's two different fields where its repeating the same poo poo. Finally, they refuse access from a privacy VPN Overnight their website went from being relatively decent to completely useless, which now means their entire service is useless to me, and I'll be switching credit unions.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's directing you to the side of the school with less traffic

:smuggo: Ticket Closed.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

naem posted:

everything since has been a nightmare

I didn't have any expectations for The Flash but that entire movie would be significantly better without a word of dialogue.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

I had that !! And then my credit card lapsed Becuase of the date on the cc and they canceled the unlimited plan immediately hahah. I wonder if anyone is still grandfathered in

if they're on ATT they probably are. I'm grandfathered into a (relatively) new ATT plan that had some crazy promotion which included HBO/Max/Whatever for life. They occasionally call to :airquote: review my plan :airquote: but nothing is better.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Yeah but we got legal weed now (your mileage may vary).

Even weed is weird now.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

aniviron posted:

Speaking of ads which are blatantly using generative AI to make hosed up cars, have another ad, this time for the Fallout tv show that is coming out apparently:

It's the sorta poo poo that looks fine at a very quick glance but the more you look at it the more is wrong with it; though the cars with two front ends are pretty easy to see. I sortaaa get it when normal ads go for generation with no oversight on the AI but come the gently caress on, this is an ad for what is in theory a creative work with a large budget that probably has concept art, promotional stills, etc. Is a generative image with three legged people, gibberish letters, and palm tree streetlights the best you can do?

with the creative strike, there is a non-zero chance that the people working on this think thats what LA looks like

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

StormDrain posted:

Microwaves have an insanely widespread install base with all kinds of different wattages, features and capabilities. They write the instructions so the most people get hot food. Feel free to experiment with lower power for a longer time. The directions used to be easier but the meals were cooked poorly.

I've had a few items with clever shaped dishes that do cook better without more steps, that should be more mainstream.

Hollow out the middle of whatever you're microwaving and it will work 100x better. Even if its just inside the tray, push the food to the outside. If you arrange your burritos or corndogs in a triangle or square they will cook perfectly under 3 minutes.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Outpost22 posted:

Apparently if that other thread is anything to go by, Burning Man.

Although I'm not sure if it ever was not lovely.

Burning Man late 90s / early 00s was completely legit, according to a bunch of friends and my old landlord. Burning Man in TYOOL 2023 seems to suck though :shrug:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
What the gently caress is a WebP image, and why can't I google image search for anything and click-drag into Imgur. Getty images can go gently caress itself.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Someone should figure out a p2p image share platform. A lot of people have enough bandwidth at home that dumb image macros could be entirely decentralized.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Brain Curry posted:

Based on the random waffleimages or random imgur threads this would lead to horrifying images being hosted on everyone’s computer

Yes :getin:

honestly they could hash images across each user, so everyone seeds rando bits

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

StrangersInTheNight posted:

She doesn't post here anymore ofc, late 00s/early 10s SA ended up alienating a lot of our coolest creators. Sigh.

SA forums circa 09/10' certainly qualified as something that got a lot shittier for no good reason.

Forums are good now :unsmith:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Sears died because the VC vampires who bought it decided to do a lovely Jack Welsh impersonation and made every department compete against each other. So there was a very big incentive for an associate working in bedding to ring up your tire sale.

Thats also why, at the end, there were some departments that still looked sorta OK, and some departments were just sheets hung from the ceiling.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Armacham posted:

Sir, this is a Carl's jr. Would you like some extra big rear end fries with that?

I got a double western with crisscut fries and a chocolate shake a month or so ago, and it was over 20 dollars :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i just want somebody making a bunch of easily adjusted/converted drivetrain kits of various dimensions you and your idiot friend who has tools could stick in any dumbass car.

i want an electric leyland mini. electric saab sonett III. electric fuckin... 1978 toyota hilux long bed.

all that poo poo without having to pay some conversion specialist a year's worth of labor cost.

There's a burgeoning cottage industry of drop-in conversions for Volkswagen stuff. Ya know, if you're cool rolling around with 15kw of lithium batteries in a car without airbags or antilock brakes :stare:

redshirt posted:

What did people do before plastic? When did the majority of products at the grocery store switch over?

waxed paper and canvas bags, and I'm pretty sure plastic packaging is what enabled the invention of the modern grocery store. Buying all your foodstuff in one place is an extremely new, extremely North American thing