Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bouillon Rube posted:

Houston Chronicle

I know lovely AI generated ads have been a thing for a minute but I’m just now starting to see them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

lmao

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I bought a french door refrigerator from Best Buy about a year ago, and today I still get promotional emails from them about french door refrigerators. As if I would not only be in the market for another french door refrigerator in less than a year, but if I were in the market again I would somehow be willing to buy another one from the people who sold me a poo poo french door refrigerator that crapped out after a year.

It was explained to me that large appliance purchases are usually near impossible to predict from a marketing standpoint. However, when people do buy a large appliance a certain percentage of them won't like it and will be looking to return and replace it with something else. So that segment of people unhappy with their first purchase are who they're trying to market to.

Or maybe that's just a really clever after-the-fact explanation for their brain dead algorithm.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
That is a very pale "dog". Headline checks out.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Bouillon Rube posted:

Who the gently caress does this poo poo benefit? Does Hyundai want their products marketed as a hosed up Kronenburg Mini Coupe?

I would drive the poo poo out of that Cronenmobile and I am furious that it only exists as an AI-generated image. Apparently the real Hyundai Venue is a lovely SUV or something.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We didn't have enough ads, so here have some ads for products that don't even exist.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What is the actual point of those ads though? They make me feel insane just seeing them. Clearly they only attract people with mental illness or dementia. Do they take you to a page that just says "enter your credit card information here:" or is it a bait and switch for a worthless product or service?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What is the actual point of those ads though? They make me feel insane just seeing them. Clearly they only attract people with mental illness or dementia. Do they take you to a page that just says "enter your credit card information here:" or is it a bait and switch for a worthless product or service?

Every few years a bunch of articles pop up about how online ads don’t actually do much for sales. No idea if it’s true or not but maybe they get clicked by bots, babies, and demented old people and that’s enough to satisfy the idiots writing checks.

You’d think they’d catch on but grifting big business in various ways is a pretty big business and just off the top of my head I can think of various grifts that have gone on for decades.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

wash bucket posted:

It was explained to me that large appliance purchases are usually near impossible to predict from a marketing standpoint. However, when people do buy a large appliance a certain percentage of them won't like it and will be looking to return and replace it with something else. So that segment of people unhappy with their first purchase are who they're trying to market to.

Or maybe that's just a really clever after-the-fact explanation for their brain dead algorithm.

That makes infinitely more sense than the assumption that I collect french-door refrigerators. But it doesn't entirely absolve the seller of responsibility for having sold me a presumed-defunct appliance. If I bought a fridge from Best Buy and it crapped out after a year, I sure as poo poo would not buy a fridge from Best Buy ever again.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bouillon Rube posted:

Who the gently caress does this poo poo benefit? Does Hyundai want their products marketed as a hosed up Kronenburg Mini Coupe?

Speaking of ads which are blatantly using generative AI to make hosed up cars, have another ad, this time for the Fallout tv show that is coming out apparently:

It's the sorta poo poo that looks fine at a very quick glance but the more you look at it the more is wrong with it; though the cars with two front ends are pretty easy to see. I sortaaa get it when normal ads go for generation with no oversight on the AI but come the gently caress on, this is an ad for what is in theory a creative work with a large budget that probably has concept art, promotional stills, etc. Is a generative image with three legged people, gibberish letters, and palm tree streetlights the best you can do?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Nothing Bethesda has ever made could be considered creative work any more than a toaster is.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Serious_Cyclone posted:

That makes infinitely more sense than the assumption that I collect french-door refrigerators. But it doesn't entirely absolve the seller of responsibility for having sold me a presumed-defunct appliance. If I bought a fridge from Best Buy and it crapped out after a year, I sure as poo poo would not buy a fridge from Best Buy ever again.

Most people would blame the manufacturer in that case; not Best Buy.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Triikan posted:

Nothing Bethesda has ever made could be considered creative work any more than a toaster is.

Well good news, this is being made by amazon or a subcontractor since it's a tv show and bethesda doesn't make those.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

aniviron posted:

Well good news, this is being made by amazon or a subcontractor since it's a tv show and bethesda doesn't make those.

Monkey's paw strikes again

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I had no idea they were making that show and now I’m excited for a dumb fun show

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Silo is a better Fallout TV show than Amazon's Fallout will ever be, mark my words.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

wash bucket posted:

Most people would blame the manufacturer in that case; not Best Buy.

I'd blame both, the former for building the poo poo and the latter for selling it.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

The little menu in Gmail to switch between accounts changed and every time a perfectly serviceable function changes I am simply waiting to see what's wrong because we live in hell

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

aniviron posted:

Speaking of ads which are blatantly using generative AI to make hosed up cars, have another ad, this time for the Fallout tv show that is coming out apparently:

It's the sorta poo poo that looks fine at a very quick glance but the more you look at it the more is wrong with it; though the cars with two front ends are pretty easy to see. I sortaaa get it when normal ads go for generation with no oversight on the AI but come the gently caress on, this is an ad for what is in theory a creative work with a large budget that probably has concept art, promotional stills, etc. Is a generative image with three legged people, gibberish letters, and palm tree streetlights the best you can do?

What’s sad is that I think the output could be really interesting if it were intentional - utilizing kitsch art that, as you look at it, you feel more and more uneasy, and start finding more and more wrong about it, seems like it would pair perfectly with the post-apocalypse meets-midcentury-modern vibe.

But you and I know drat well that they just tasked some intern with slamming something into a text box in :15 and this is the result.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If you want to see basically Fallout IRL the movie, Albert Pyuns “Radioactive Dreams” is worth a watch and then some. It is the inspiration for a few things in Wasteland as well.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

aniviron posted:

It's kind of annoying, too, because in the Fallout universe, there are canonical cars driven during the time just before the war, and they didn't look like that.

They looked like these:

edit: though I'm not sure how much classic Fallout is even lore anymore :\

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Isentropy posted:

Just got a new router from Rogers Communications in Canada and holy poo poo they moved all the basic network settings* into a loving app? An app? For your own home router?!?

*port forwarding, and changing the ACTUAL WIFI PASSWORD

And I just saw that episode of IASIP today too

fun fact: you can only port forward to a device if that app sees it
it does not see all of them

it's great

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

credburn posted:

It's kind of annoying, too, because in the Fallout universe, there are canonical cars driven during the time just before the war, and they didn't look like that.

They looked like these:

this is because that image is ai generated, the ai doesnt' know the aesthetic it just knows 1950s.

Bethesda bad

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i hate ai/clickbait nonsense ads with such passion, it's probably one of the very few things i'd commit murder over

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

SRQ posted:

fun fact: you can only port forward to a device if that app sees it
it does not see all of them

it's great

I'd suggest changing your computer's ip temporarily to set up the forward, but watch it do something "smart" like track if a mac address changes its ip

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

credburn posted:

They looked like these:

its not really. bethesda cranked the 50s cosplay up to 11 and also made it so everywhere on earth is a perma waste. f1 and 2 laid down the basic lore but ultimately aren't the blueprint any more

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

aniviron posted:

with the creative strike, there is a non-zero chance that the people working on this think thats what LA looks like

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

its not really. bethesda cranked the 50s cosplay up to 11 and also made it so everywhere on earth is a perma waste. f1 and 2 laid down the basic lore but ultimately aren't the blueprint any more

I like to remind people that the first settlement you see in Fallout 1, the literal stage setting, is mud-brick. Not garbage, but a primitive agrarian commune.
Bethesda never played 1 or 2.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

I'd suggest changing your computer's ip temporarily to set up the forward, but watch it do something "smart" like track if a mac address changes its ip

Never had luck. The reason I wanted to was to join a hosted retro game thingy from an actual period system. Unfortunately Rogers said no and also gently caress you.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SRQ posted:

I like to remind people that the first settlement you see in Fallout 1, the literal stage setting, is mud-brick. Not garbage, but a primitive agrarian commune.

Shady sands did seem to be the exception though. There were a bunch of people living in shacks, made from junk and abandoned houses in towns and cities.

Honestly Shady Sands had there poo poo together far more than most. Does make some sense that they were the ones that ended up expanding so much.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Shady sands did seem to be the exception though. There were a bunch of people living in shacks, made from junk and abandoned houses in towns and cities.

Honestly Shady Sands had there poo poo together far more than most. Does make some sense that they were the ones that ended up expanding so much.

Even the community in LA was kinda-clean.

Fallout 2 expands on these ideas. Vault City is a modern city, Shady Sands has expanded into a psuedo-state, and even the farming towns and Redding look like actual places people live in and not a pile of garbage.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

SRQ posted:

To be fair, the background of the main menu is supposed to be Bakersfield, which maybe because of hardware limitations couldn't really be depicted well in-game in Fallout 1.

Which in-game looked like this

I definitely prefer the barren-desert, mud-brick, and junktown aesthetic of classic Fallout to the ruins of cities and over-saturation of 50s kitsch like in Fallout 4.

credburn fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 31, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

SRQ posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 were video games, Fallout 3+ are an "IP". One set of games had visuals designed to make sense in their own context, the other to be a toyetic and easily reproducible aesthetic signature.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i think it's universally agreed that fallouts 1,2 and NV are the good ones and the others are only as good as the modding community around them.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
John Fallout asks: "okay it wouldn't be practical but what if the V-22 was also a big bug."

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 were video games, Fallout 3+ are an "IP". One set of games had visuals designed to make sense in their own context, the other to be a toyetic and easily reproducible aesthetic signature.

If there were other fallout games with the same graphics and tech as F1 and F2 I would 100% buy the hell out of them

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

If there were other fallout games with the same graphics and tech as F1 and F2 I would 100% buy the hell out of them

Fallout: Tactics comes close.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fallout 1, 2, 4, New Vegas, Brotherhood of Steel, and that Mobile Game all are bad games because I never finished them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Barudak posted:

Fallout 1, 2, 4, New Vegas, Brotherhood of Steel, and that Mobile Game all are bad games because I never finished them.

They never actually bothered putting in an end to any of them because they knew you wouldn't. They all just exit to dos prompt shortly after they knew you'd stop.

Even the mobile game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

credburn posted:

To be fair, the background of the main menu is supposed to be Bakersfield, which maybe because of hardware limitations couldn't really be depicted well in-game in Fallout 1.

Which in-game looked like this

I definitely prefer the barren-desert, mud-brick, and junktown aesthetic of classic Fallout to the ruins of cities and over-saturation of 50s kitsch like in Fallout 4.

that's just how Bakersfield looks