Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

New exciting change as of tonight which is tiny but annoying, opening videos from youtube into a new tab with middle click no longer works when clicking on the video thumbnail, it now requires you to do it on the title. It's probably a firefox exclusive issue, because google goes out of their way to sabotage firefox, a 70 market share is not enough; it's also much higher than 70 if you consider that most remaining alternatives are chromium-derived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Steam's UI updated today. I was using a skin, Steam Compact, but not only does the new UI break the skin, it doesn't support skins at all. Everything is gigantic now; I have to assume the new interface is meant to be legible on the Steam Deck. But I don't have a deck with a three inch screen, I have a whole-rear end monitor, I don't need buttons the size of Fischer Price toy icons.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Das Boo posted:

Also YT keeps recommending me toxic right-wing takes on things I like. I literally can't block them all.

In keeping with the thread, this is intentional. At some point, certain topics pick up associations - for example, sometimes I watch videos about gaming, and youtube seems to have created the link that people who like games also tend to like alt right poo poo. "Hey, now that you're done watching that age of empires video, maybe you'd like something about hitler, eh? ehhh??" No, stop that.

But it's well-known that it's intentional to promote inflammatory content, not just on youtube but all social media. The point isn't to make people happy or to make the world a better place, it's to keep you watching and clicking. The like and dislike buttons do exactly the same thing; they don't care how much you liked a video, they care that you were engaged enough to click a button after you watched something.

And inflammatory videos/posts do that. It keeps people in the rage loop for to the detriment of both the individual and society. This helps literally no one except the shareholders of the company, but it's become the norm on every single relevant media company today.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

KariOhki posted:

Bolded the Firefox part cause as a Chrome user, it's not exclusive to loving over Firefox :(

In that case, lol, lmao, why did they break their own website like this.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Denim Dude posted:

It's been doing it for me for like 2 weeks and and i just hosed up and did it again but it opened how it used to. Please verify.

Just tried it on my desktop where it now opens upon clicking the video thumbnail, and on my laptop, where it does not. There should be no difference between the two but one works and the other does not.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

i know these exist in discord right now, a ton of small communities / special interests have moved there

it will surely also be ruined one day, but seems to be the place to hangout, shitpost, or share information for communities that range from a few dozen to few hundred people

The ruination is coming fast. All of discord's recently maligned policy changes are in preparation for doing an IPO. It was decent in spite of itself and its owner for a while, but it's not going to last.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Riot Bimbo posted:

Give me a bit, my phone truly sucks rear end, but it sounded loving stupid and unbelievable to me. It may be DARPA? Either way the foundations of reddit actually are within the american MIC. I'll find the information when i have my desktop back, assuming i remember and care enough to. The person initially claiming it was some goon in some thread i dont remember? But iirc it stands to scrutiny

If you find it, I too would like to see; because I remember reading that the founders of reddit had MIC/alphabet agency ties but I can't remember where I read it and have been unable to track that down for years, and I'm never sure if it's a rumor or a fever dream.

This stuff isn't totally out of scope though - the hugely popular twitter account Archillect which basically just posts neat images turned out to be an alphabet project. Once again I lack the link, but I did see a reliable source on this one years ago, it came out in a FOIA document. What they get out of running a twitter account that basically just posts moodboard photos I can't fathom, but they do it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

i know these exist in discord right now, a ton of small communities / special interests have moved there

it will surely also be ruined one day, but seems to be the place to hangout, shitpost, or share information for communities that range from a few dozen to few hundred people

Speaking of the impending ruination, Discord released this post today about the way they're suggesting everyone starts to monetize their communities: https://discord.com/blog/server-subscriptions-updates-media-channels-tier-templates-and-more

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Don't tell anyone but I found that if you rip a sheet in half it's usually still enough, if dryer sheets are your kinda thing.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

ikanreed posted:

I can't tell if this thread exists because things are actually shittier or we're all getting old and nostalgia blind.

I do grapple with this internally a lot. I've read a lot of old text; the ancient greeks have texts that echo basically the exact sentiment of this thread (the wine was better when I was young!!) though sometimes the context differs (very few people itt complaining about ~the kids~ which is refreshing at least - every society to leave a historical record leaves a record of them complaining about how kids now suck). And to some degree, I think it's true! We're getting loving old, and this thread is a testament to our encroaching senility.

But the ancient greeks and everyone between then and now were also not facing an impending biosphere collapse and its associated baggage. Are we special? Does this mean there is merit to our gripes? I like to think so, but then, hasn't everyone always felt like they are special?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You know, as opposed to touching grass.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah Bandcamp is alright, and I haven't noticed it getting shittier for no good reason even after Epic/Tencent bought it. I don't stream from it, don't use the app, but it pays the vast majority of the money to the author, lets authors give poo poo away for free, lets you download poo poo in whatever format you want. Using it to build a local music collection, I have no issues with it. If you want to stream from it, well, the web interface works okay but I don't really use the app or anything like that, and couldn't tell you about discovery.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Tonight, a new option appeared on the settings for youtube videos when changing the video quality - 1080p *premium.* Needs a premium subscription to function, of course. Video quality is getting paygated on the site, which I am sure will only lead to good things.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

VikingofRock posted:

Whenever YouTube wants to try out some way of enshittifying things, they A/B test it, rolling it out to a small number of their users first. Then YouTube will see how those users' metrics vary from everyone else's metrics, and tune the new "feature" so that it's as aggressive as possible without too many people dropping the platform.

Now, to me, that seems like YouTube is setting themselves up by tuning everything to the exact point where all of their users hate them and are ready to jump ship as soon as a real competitor comes along, but what do I know, I'm not an MBA

Contrary to the other poster, I suspect that while many mid-level managers are unaware of the state of things, there are people with a good overview of the whole company. They know that everyone hates what they are doing. But what is anyone going to do about it? Setting up a company to rival youtube would take billions of dollars for an uncertain reward; we see that platforms like Mixer and Facebook gaming are attempting the same in trying to compete with Twitch and are doing little but wasting incredible amounts of money for their parent companies. The video market in particular is hard to break into not just for infrastructural reasons but also because things like youtube's content filtering, while much-loathed, is a difficult and expensive thing to do and is set up to comply with US & EU regulations. Google/Alphabet lobbied specifically in favor of the laws that require it to implement difficult, expensive things like youtube kids & content strikes because they know that while it's a hit to their bottom line to set it up, it makes it impossible for any competitor to ever enter the field without spending incredible sums of money developing similar systems.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

ChatGPT, in my personal experience, has gotten quite a bit shittier in the past few months. It’s like the responses are forced to the reading level of the 5% dumbest Bing users, and only common knowledge information is allowed. I can’t find a good way to fix it.

This got me thinking, AI is going to be way shittier than any of us imagined, a dull mush of corporate-approved personalities operating at the level of a call-center script, nearly useless except when unleashed in their full power by VC on yet-unshittified enterprises, constrained to the minimum level of capability except when hyperfucking the unmonetized pieces of the world.

In a way it would be pretty similar to the rise and fall of the internet. At first, a Wild West built on miracle technology with the potential to change the world, but quickly gobbled up by late-stage capitalism and reduced to a homogenous paste of least-denominator consumption nuggets and user tracking.

I’ll have a spicy chicken and a small chili

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbIk7-JPB2c

This video is long, you can watch it or not; but the tl;dr is that one of the guys who was responsible for implementing GPT into Bing talks at length about his experiences. He thinks it's close to a general intelligence; I disagree, but it's relevant here because he also talks about how every time a new constraint is added to the system so you can't ask it to say slurs or how to make bombs or write a script to spam emails it gets dumber and the quality of the answers is worse. It's long but I found it interesting.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Brother Tadger posted:

Wild that we got a whole antitrust crusade because of loving Internet Explorer yet everyone’s asleep at the wheel re vertical integration cloud storage , MS store front, etc.

Not that wild. There has been a very deliberate dismantling & defanging of the FTC going on since the 80s but accelerating in the last two decades. Have an interesting read on the matter, if you want. Or, if you don't want, here's an excerpt:

quote:

Since the 1990s, 31 out of 41 top FTC officials – both GOP appointed and appointees backed by corporate Dems – "worked directly for a company that has business before the agency":

https://www.citizen.org/article/ftc-big-tech-revolving-door-problem-report/

The majority of FTC and DoJ antitrust lawyers who served between 2014-21 left government service and went straight to work for a Big Law firm, serving the companies they'd regulated just a few months before:

https://therevolvingdoorproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/The-Revolving-Door-In-Federal-Antitrust-Enforcement.pdf

Take Deborah Feinstein, formerly the head of the FTC's Bureau of Competition, now a partner at Arnold & Porter, where she's represented General Electric, NBCUniversal, Unilever, and Pepsi and a whole medicine chest's worth of pharma giants before her former subordinates at the FTC. Michael Moiseyev who was assistant manager of FTC Competition is now in charge of mergers at Weil Gotshal & Manges, working for Microsoft, Meta, and Eli Lilly.

There's a whole bunch more, but Dayen reserves special notice for Andrew Smith, Trump's FTC Consumer Protection boss. Before he was put on the public payroll, Smith represented 120 clients that had business before the Commission, including "nearly every major bank in America, drug industry lobbyist PhRMA, Uber, Equifax, Amazon, Facebook, Verizon, and a variety of payday lenders":

https://www.citizen.org/sites/default/files/andrew_smith_foia_appeal_response_11_30.pdf

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'm just jealous of your water amount. I'm out in the middle of nowhere, where cost of living is low, and it's 150-200/quarter. Of course, about 30-40 of it is water usage, the rest is fixed fees.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Sentient Data posted:

Microsoft bob would take off like wildfire if they gave someone passionate about it full control, the world is ready for strong skeumorphic design again

The world wasn't ready for Microsoft Bob, which was perfect in all possible ways.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

First it's the fingerprint coffee machine next it will be the anus print toilets.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I use an extension that turns shorts into normal videos. Can't fix the content, but the player can be turned back to normal. When shorts first came out you could edit the url to get it back to the normal player, and this extension just redirects you to the URL that isn't on a short player. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-shorts-block/ Available on chrome too.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Denim Dude posted:

one of my first recommendations now is a literal gutfield clip. how dare you be so nonchalant. this is hosed up!

edit: i've been watching poo poo i actually like at 2x speed just so the algorithm can figure me out but it's not working and nothing is sticking. i just saw ben shapiros smug face

I assume that's a joke but it reminds me of a ~hack~ I saw recently for youtube. See, even if you watch at 2x speed, youtube only counts the realtime minutes you spend watching a video to determine your "engagement" i.e. what fraction of the video it thinks you watched. So if you upload your video in double speed and tell your viewers to slow it to .5x, the algorithm thinks everyone loves the video so much they all watched it twice.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Extra row of tits posted:

Let’s all take a minute to appreciate how things are now, because after the next election it’s all gonna suck for years.

Starting to sound like the climate change thread in here.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Those hand dryers also sound like a loving jet engine and freak out my kid to the point where it's hard to find a public toilet he'll use. And they don't even work as well as the actual warm slow ones did for decades before all being replaced. I don't need a fuckin ram air turbine to dry my hands by spraying all the water off them onto my shoes and the floor with 8000 pounds of thrust. I can shake it onto the floor myself if that's what we're supposed to do now

Can't seem to pull it up now, but I once read a CDC report which outlined the way that the high pressure dryers perfectly aerosolize and spread any remaining debris through the room. Eugh.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There is absolutely no way the automated scanning checkout AI is programmed to err on the user's side, like, ever.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Jelly posted:

I have never been to a grocery store where they give a gently caress about me in my entire life, where do you live

I have lived in both huge cities and rural bumfuck, and will confirm that in rural stores, even huge chains like walmart, it's fairly common for the staff at checkout to make earnest smalltalk, and even recognize/remember me and ask about things that we talked about last time. Only ever had this happen in the city when I was working late and would always shop at 2am, so the overnight staff got to know who I was because I was one of like ten people they saw.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This is something I'm unironically curious about - will we see this happen? Will the millennial generation get weird and conservative about social policy and the 'kids these days', especially around sexuality et al?

I dunno. tbd on that I guess, but I'd like to think we'd trend to be at least a little less prudish.

The answer seems to be no, weirdly enough. Millennials are getting more liberal with age, if the few surveys on the matter I have seen are accurate. Probably going to turn old and crusty at some point, but buck the trend of Xers & Boomers going hard right.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

CaptainCrunch posted:

Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co, the vultures that bought Toys R Us, saddled it with the debt of its own purchase and drove it out of existence are purchasing Simon & Schuster publishing.

:negative:

For the unfamiliar: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/07/toys-r-us-bankruptcy-private-equity/561758/

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Well goons, you're not going totally demented or wearing rose tinted glasses about insects, some studies peg the loss of insect biomass in the last 30 years as about 75%. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_in_insect_populations There's wiggle room as to how much decline there is, but ultimately it's a loving lot. Most people don't care because bugs are gross, but they are kind of important for the planet.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

At least Wikia is lovely enough that there is usually an alternative fan wiki which is better 99% of the time that is run by the kind of passionate people who are driven away by Wikia's lovely policies. Harder to find though, given Wikia's absurd SEO.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Black Noise posted:

Update and Restart & Update and Shutdown mean the same thing. What a country :psyduck:

Really love not having control over when updates happen. Logged into the work computer yesterday which is a gigantic piece of poo poo that barely runs the software it needs at the best of times. Everything stutters, can't use it. Oh yeah, first time it's been turned on since the Tuesday windows update, it's going to take 50% cpu for a half hour to update. If I had control of it, I'd tell it to run during the hourlong meeting later in the day but noooo, windows knows better than me what's best for the computer I'm using.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Get a bidet.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

armpit_enjoyer posted:

A friend hooked me up with Windows 10 LTSC back in the day and I keep using it even though you're "not supposed" to use it as a daily driver OS for whatever reason. It's Windows 10 with all of the ads stripped out, alongisde things like the Microsoft Store and Cortana. Until 2021 it didn't even come with Edge. The only downside I've encountered thus far is that you can't install Whatsapp on it anymore, because that requires Microsoft Store.

I hope that by the time Windows 10 LTSC stops being a thing (this version will be supported until at least 2026), they'll either release a similarly stripped down version of Windows 11 or they somehow release Photoshop for Linux, because that and games are the big reason why I'm still on Windows (and Steam is making great strides wrt gaming on Windows)

I am seconding LTSC as being great. I snagged a copy a while back and it's got all the things you would want out of windows (runs programs, fully functional, gets security updates) and none of the things you don't like about windows (spyware, updates that break everything for no reason, bloated bundled programs). The reason you're not supposed to use it for your daily computer is that a mass adoption of LTSC would destroy microsoft's business model, but they can't not offer it because the alternative would be the billions of computers that are marginally viable running windows for things like point of sale terminals would switch to linux, because they can't run a full 10 install.

While LTSC branches do become obsolete over time, the good news is that they always release a new LTSC client prior to that happening. There is no current LTSC client for 11, but that's because a 10 client came out shortly before 11 launched, and it's a few years between new clients. Next one will be 11.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I use postimage https://postimages.org/ seems to work fine.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Sentient Data posted:

There wasn't a price tag, so that means it was free! :stat:

See, this is why I have always felt I am entitled to the aldi carts. I paid for it at the beginning of the trip, and rather than take my quarter back I leave the coin with them and take the cart home. I paid for it, it's mine.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bouillon Rube posted:

Who the gently caress does this poo poo benefit? Does Hyundai want their products marketed as a hosed up Kronenburg Mini Coupe?

Speaking of ads which are blatantly using generative AI to make hosed up cars, have another ad, this time for the Fallout tv show that is coming out apparently:

It's the sorta poo poo that looks fine at a very quick glance but the more you look at it the more is wrong with it; though the cars with two front ends are pretty easy to see. I sortaaa get it when normal ads go for generation with no oversight on the AI but come the gently caress on, this is an ad for what is in theory a creative work with a large budget that probably has concept art, promotional stills, etc. Is a generative image with three legged people, gibberish letters, and palm tree streetlights the best you can do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Triikan posted:

Nothing Bethesda has ever made could be considered creative work any more than a toaster is.

Well good news, this is being made by amazon or a subcontractor since it's a tv show and bethesda doesn't make those.