Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

steinrokkan posted:

No, it's what the internet actually is

if you took away the internet people would have to go back to watching tv or reading magazines on the shitter to get their self inflicted advertising enema

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i don’t think we’ve reached the level of automation where everyone who would want to live a comfy lazy life could. menial labor and exploitation are too fundamental to our consumption economy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No Bill, don't let Hank take advantage of you like that.

narrow urethra

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've never had a real salisbury steak before, but it is probably my go to for frozen dinners.

I love 'em.

mmmmmmm that coagulated brown slime standing in for gravy and its subtle irradiated plastic flavour

mwah

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Isn’t something like this the reason the FBI went after Aaron Swartz til he killed himself? Why is it suddenly ok because a company did it

because america is for the companies not for the little guy. its theirs. they took it over.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

credburn posted:

Everyone has read A Canticle for Liebowitz.

this sounds wrong but ive also read a canticle for liebowitz so what do i know

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i find new music by checking the events pages for the local venues, going to any show with spiky words on the poster and buying the cds of whichever bands kicked the most rear end

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
theres also like, way more completely dogshit music being "released" than ever. those bedroom recording secret genius amateurs are vastly outnumbered by the mediocre masses taking advantage of the low entry barrier. any dipshit can loop.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Salt Fish posted:

I was just checking out pictures of a light-up drone display, and I know this is me just being old, but gently caress drones. What a loving stupid waste of electricity and circuit boards. I know you can say the same thing about fireworks or whatever, but I don't know I hate them. We're so obviously past the point of sustainability and the world is dying and some nerd is jerking off at the idea of building a fleet of ten thousands drones to paint star wars murals in the sky just gently caress off with this come on please.

i think of all the things you could strap to them and all the places they could fly and im glad no domestic terrorists have the same ideas!

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Nvidia Shield + Plex + dumb TV is still the way to go for me. I use Smart Tube to bypass YouTube ads (including sponsored bullshit and dumb intros/outros) and just torrent a shitload of new media once a month or so. It's pretty great.

basically me but i’ve been noticing the shield getting slightly shittier over time. it used to work perfectly but now it occasionally gets the computer ghosts and fucks up for no good reason. and i torrent old poo poo instead.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
ups store wanted to charge me $3.33 to print a return label. amazon wants to charge me $1 to mail it to me. just gonna print it at work for free instead.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
no QR code option anymore

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
the nba jersey designs themselves have gone down the toilet too, especially the alts/city editions. no good design is ever brought back because collectors market false scarcity bs and most of the new designs are corny poo poo aimed at kids.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

wash bucket posted:

Work will never make you happy but some jobs contribute to your misery more than others.

work a job that contributes to others misery more than your own

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

What size is that? Because in Orlando I can spend less than that for a pizza the size of a human child:

Guess there's still one thing okay about this place.

yeah that pricing reflects a florida education’s understanding of geometry. 10 inches wider, that should be like $10 more, right? what do you mean its over twice as much pizza??

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
they should make deep dish pizzas in different depths

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i havent bought a hotpocket in a decade but if i did i would airfry it

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Everything is a facebook group or discord server and I loving hate it so much. I was trying to find out how to do something on a fairly complicated piece of music gear and, you know, did a search online. There's a subreddit for this device, great! The mods shut it down, deleted all the posts and moved to discord. Why. Whhhhhyyyyyyyy. I dont want to join your secret clubhouse just to find out how to adjust input gain on individual parameters you dicks.

should be a megathread instead

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i want my food hot and fresh out the kitchen like that r k*lly song

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Outrail posted:

I think we've handed too much power to capital and short of black death 30% mortality type event we won't have the will to fight back and they'll keep twisting the screws until we have whatever comes after cyberpunk dystopia. The matrix maybe, but with ads.

so…. potential upside to possible impending ww3? nah who am i kidding, it is accelerationist folly to think global catastrophe will do anything but further entrench the ruling class. it would make me feel better if i knew about any concerted efforts to get humanity back on a less suicidal path instead of slowly coasting into the abyss

just tired of everything getting shittier man

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
bros in arms before hoes in arms

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Cactus Ghost posted:

printed script was a mistake. arabic did it right. just coming up with a movable-type (and later, electronic) script that imitates cursive instead of making up an entirely new kind of script just for the printing press and then making everyone learn to write that hosed up printing press way for no reason

understanding media: the extensions of man by marshall mcluhan should be required reading for…. well, everybody. it is, of course, far too late to instill media literacy in those that have failed to acquire regular literacy but if you can read, you should read that

boy it sure is fun having my cynical misanthropy vindicated at every turn, the sensation of smug satisfaction definitely outweighs the constant oppressive miasma of this modern hellworld and i am not at all loving depressed hahaha

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
might be a little late to overthrow the cultural and economic hegemony of the anglosphere but best of luck

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

The Moon Monster posted:

This is my new favorite boomer job hunting advice. Have you tried just walking into MIT, looking Noam Chomsky in the eye and firmly shaking his hand?

not too firmly or it might disintegrate. he may have in fact died while i was typing this post

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Well actually if you just hoard the :files: you don't really need to care about the streaming service. Just dump it all in that NAS and go Smaug

yeah but plex does a real good job right now of letting me watch that poo poo on my television and my telephone and together with my friends in other countries, automatically handling all the metadata and whatnot to satisfy my organization obsessions so im gonna be genuinely disappointed when it inevitably gets shittier for the very specific reason of chasing profitability

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
work is sending me to vegas for a conference next month, tell me more about all the parks full of natural beauty and wonder within driving distance and please dont tell me theyve been shitted up too

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

If you are gonna go to any, go to Zion. Idk if it’s been shitted up

thats the one i heard HAD been shitted up in that its so popular that you need reservations now but goddamn i do wanna go

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
just made a vending machine completely reboot by performing the wholly unforeseeable interaction of typing in the 3 digit item number on the touch screen

software is all such complete poo poo and i trust nothing to work correctly

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
what if we gave joe biden a gun and let him loose

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

teen witch posted:

Have you looked at the planet

that there amoc isnt lookin too fresh these days. eurogoons should probably buy some blankies

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
the industrial revolution and its consequences etc etc

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
in chrome if you have a page like say for example the somethingawful forums open and you open new tabs from it with middle click then switch to them or other tabs or go take a poo poo or whatever and then go back to the first tab and open more links the same way, the new tabs will open to the immediate right of the first tab like god intended

if you do the same in firefox on the other hand, the tab will appear to the right for half a second before getting moved to the end of the group of tabs opened from that tab. there are some about:config settings to have different but even worse behavior and i wish it just did it like chrome does. might switch to another chromium based browser especially if mozilla farts up ff with ai

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

as far as i can tell it doesnt work, exact same behavior

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

thathonkey posted:

ph scale except for wokeness

based

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
everyone is an internet addicted weirdo now instead of the outsider minority of weirdo nerds. it was never a good thing to be, but there were enough people not yet infected with the brainworms so they could subsidize our worthless neet consumption. but its too drat profitable for rent seeking tech companies to get everyone hooked up to the digital heroin.

it aint called eternal september for nothing. no end in sight

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Large Testicles posted:

those cooked chickens are (at least now) like the smallest possible chickens you can get and the store still probably loses money on them because they expect you to fill your cart up with overpriced poo poo while you're there

i need a list of all this loss leader food, this will aid in my quest to bankrupt kroger. sneaking grapes is proving too slow

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

thathonkey posted:

all of my win 10 and 11 pcs rebooted overnight so they can get whatever the latest poo poo ms have shoveled into the os. woke up to cries of "the plex isnt working!" cause for some reason it retriggered part of the initial setup (which helpfully includes offers for more ms products) and couldnt autoboot through

i guess i need to turn off auto updates

ive tried the 10 different ways they tell you to stop win10 from automatically rebooting to install updates and none of them seem to reliably work, outside of using the pause updates feature every couple months to delay the inevitable like a much slower version of the computer from :lost:

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Outrail posted:

Why the gently caress is my basic operating system giving me news anyway? That's like a TV blasting adverts at you while you're using it as a monitor.

first day in our corporate propaganda saturated cyberpunk dystopia?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

filmcynic posted:

I can't find the tweet, but someone pointed out that the footage in the new Crow trailer (and presumably the film, too) seems to have been entirely composed with TikTok viewing/reposting in mind. Everything's just crammed into the center of the frame.

attention has degraded to the point where the audience no longer can perceive the entire frame. all that stuff outside the center is just the blurred pillarboxing

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
lost in the supermarket - the clash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZw23sWlyG0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Lewis and Clark had an air rifle they took on their expedition and used the fact that they could kill without smoke or fire as proof that they were awesome

i learned this earlier this week from the audiobook of undaunted courage by stephen ambrose i am listening to in the libby app and i wanted to renew my loan for it today but it says it needs to reverify my library card and the the verification server isnt working so time to :filez: i guess