Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

i remember being happy and having hope for the future and now im sad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

windows 8 existing is funny

the other well known bazoopers like vista and me were just lovely versions of windows but more or less the same thing so i'm sure some amount of people used them and didn't mind them too much

did anyone on earth like windows 8?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Khanstant posted:

I'm starting to wonder if it's a genetic taste thing, like how black coffee tastes like chocolate, how a grapefruit could be edible, or cilantro tasting like soap to some people but not others. I assume artificial sweeteners are the same thing, because the disgusting chemical tastes that come with them are not something anyone would choose to ingest on purpose, let alone consider at all comfortable to sugar. Salt has more in common with the flavour of sugar and sweetness than loving aspartame/stevia/etc

Idk if the formulas are different now or it’s just a getting older thing when I was a kid any diet soda might as well have been piss for how unwilling I was to drink it, now I think it often tastes better than sugar

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

ishikabibble posted:

tbf that's more 'goons are contrarian assholes' than anything indicative of widespread social trends

It's actually kind of hilarious. You can almost use goons as a social barometer when it comes to widespread trends by just assuming the opposite of however goons react to things. We're living in the age of 'weird internet poisoned horny poo poo' being so far into the cultural zeitgeist, major international corporations are making ads out of them.

Like it really feels like only a matter of time before we start seeing 'vore' used as a verb in ads. I hear it said as a joke often enough in otherwise 'normal' places plenty.

i feel like you're describing 4chan more than SA

the continuum imo is like

1 on the scale, total contrarian rear end in a top hat, being 4chan, to 10 on the scale, hiveminded trendy npc, being reddit

SA would be somewhere in the middle of that

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I was at a gas station recently….Valero maybe? Not sure. They literally ONLY had self checkout. There was no way to have a person ring you up.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I used to be able to eat whatever I want without getting fat and now I’m fat :smith:

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

wash bucket posted:

Oh god that gave me flashbacks. When I was a kid my dad used to listen to the oldies station non stop whenever he was driving. We lived way out in the middle of nowhere so every trip to the store took forever. Just years and years of the some old songs.

Decades later I got a job in a manufacturing plant and one of the guys nearby had a shop radio that he kept tuned to an oldies station and it was THE! EXACT! SAME! SONGS! AGAIN! Once I'd put some time in I talked to the guy and explained "I'm sorry, I just cannot stand that station. Can you tune it to literally anything else?" He didn't really care and just switched it to some sports station which probably saved my career and mental health.

Well they’re not making new oldies are they

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

SA owns

its the only forum thats stayed consistently pretty good over my whole online life

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

i retract my previous statement, you do not "gotta hand it" to lowtax under any circumstances

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Wait, so let’s say you open it and grab a soda. Do you automatically get charged the price of the soda PLUS an extra 50 as it assumes you stored your own poo poo in there?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

PJOmega posted:

No. They're typically weight sensors. Otherwise it's inventoried at time of cleaning. If things are moved around housekeeping will mark it as used rather than rummage around to try and figure out what is where if it takes more than a couple of seconds.

Also if they are dealing with your stuff in there it's a hassle, ranging from "ugh" to "ewww." They really don't want to deal with your leftover beef stew that you let drip all over poo poo. Also if it's weight triggered they want to discourage people playing Indiana Jones and thinking they're being clever by putting a rock in the place of liquor.

Of all the awful things in the world happening now, the thread losing their mind over hotel mini safes is very late 80s, if not earlier. They're outrageously expensive, have always been outrageously expensive, and 99% of the time if you tell the front desk you need a fridge "for medication" they'll send one up for no charge beyond tipping the guy for carting it up.

And I say at least 80s because those were forbidden territory when traveling with family as a young kid.

They're predatory and awful and exist to take advantage of children, drunks, or business travelers and their expense reports. But they're hardly something new.

Thank you! I appreciate the info

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Why are like 95% of online ads now related to treatments etc for having a small dick?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Beartaco posted:

I keep getting ads for this dating app that leans so heavily on the incel marketing.

"Are you sick of ATTRACTIVE PEOPLE getting all the ladies while the DECENT MEN are dumped? Download our piece of poo poo software instead!"

gently caress offfff.

lmao

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

DoctorTristan posted:

Gloomhaven on Steam just got an ‘update’ to add console support (not done by the original developer) and they broke everything and enshittened all the textures down to potato quality

gloomhaven owns

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I really like sheetz

stewarts is also good

e: I gotta say though, the dr. Pepper chicken….what the CHRIST is that poo poo. nasty

pencilhands fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 2, 2023

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Woolie Wool posted:

Frankly the people who think that infinite entertainment for :10bux: a month is remotely sustainable remind me of this:

The whole entertainment and tech industries are built on hyper-exploitation of artists, the Global South, and the natural world and a society that needs 8 hours of "media" per person per day to distract them from the fact nobody has a social life anymore is a garbage hellhole that cannot collapse fast enough.

nerds are actually the bad guys

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Vampire Panties posted:

I was 45 minutes late to a vet appointment to get some non-critical vaccines (lepto & canine influenza) and they wanted to charge a twelve dollar "urgent care" fee while the lobby was empty.

not to go full rant mode, but I have literally spent THOUSANDS of dollars with that vet. THOUSANDS. I told them that was totally ridiculous, there was no way I was paying a fee for being 45 minutes late, and got up and walked out. I got a really urgent message from the manager saying "oh we're so sorry, we value your business :words:" but the damage was done

Random rear end fees being enforced by low level employees has enshittified everywhere.

Its amazing that Apple could literally dictate the end-user experience for smartphone users, but they just can't get out of their own way w/r/t deprecating existing functionality to chase the next golden widget. I switched over to Apple products about five years ago because I was tired of Samsung's crappy build quality, but having my phone/watch/tablet interface change without notice (sometimes wildly) is a complete deal breaker for me.

real PED enshittification - the Fitbit Ionic was a terrible smart watch but a fantastic fitness tracker. Then Google bought them and.... :shrug:

are you really arguing that you werent in the wrong for being nearly an hour late to something

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

drat pencilhands lands another one. now post a stupid af take to balance it out lmfoa

I’ve never posted anything stupid in my life.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

I beg to differ, you just did in another thread

No I didn’t

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Except im nothing like a broken clock. Im right all the time. Like an atomic clock or the clock on a cell phone.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Vampire Panties posted:

loving :lol: at the pedantry on this loving site :jerkbag: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I could've written a novel. I could have started with the parking lot was also empty, and that the vet is a converted 2bd house. I could have added the :airquote: lobby :airquote: is a living room from which you can see 80% of the clinic. I could have talked about the multi-year relationship I've had with them or the various issues and treatment plans we've worked through with my dog, or why specifically I was late, or how I wasn't sure that leptospirosis or canine influenza were necessarily important vaccines to get (neither are required by any government agency, boarding house, or grooming service). I could provide pictures from the loving Google reviews, or receipts, or emails.

but apparently y'all are super cool with a business you've known and trusted charging you a random fee, and expect everyone to be perfect 100% of the time, and :goonsay: I'm a Karen for not being a doormat, so I guess gently caress me right? :birdthunk:

jfc talk about enshittification

please go into as much detail as possible and provide the pictures of your receipts etc

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Alot of old movies I watch don’t seem to exist on any other streaming service though and im too lazy to pirate stuff so I like it

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I bought something on amazon yesterday for $250 and I just looked at the same item today and it was now discounted to $200. What the gently caress?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

skooma512 posted:

Was just in Vegas over the weekend.

I can't really understand how people vacation there and come out less stressed than they arrived. It's like a giant airport mall with the monetization of a gacha game, and that's without even considering the gambling at all. Everytime I found something fun, they raised the price and forced me to leave. Playing craps, winning some and losing some, having fun but lol time to raise the minimum bet so you have 30 minutes to pay more or gently caress off. We were at a strip club, and despite the fact they we were paying for stuff, it wasn't enough and one of the girls kicked out my friends while mid-dance because she wasn't personally getting any money.

And through it all, they're cutting corners and trying to give you the bare minimum for the max price. Got charged 60 dollar cover each to go into a club that only had 1 of 3 floors in operation and the DJ loving sucked. Our room at the hotel didn't even have blinds so the lights of the city and the sun kept us up. Buffets all closed at 3pm with no dinner service, and this was in multiple places, no explanation given. The Super Bowl's in town, you don't matter.

It's like through it all the message was: You're spending money, but it isn't enough, you need to give us more, so cater to us or get the gently caress out of our face. You're here to serve us and if you step out of line the hundreds of cameras will spawn dozens of heavily armed men to deal with you. There's no give to anything, you will pay high prices and we will give you as little as we possibly can. It was my bachelor party, nobody gave a gently caress, not even one little token to that effect. I assume this is not the case for bachelorette groups.

We're swinging through again for the honeymoon, and I'm trying to get that part of the trip cancelled now because I found the city so stifling and aggressive and stressful. She assures me it'll be better because I'll have her with me, but I really don't want to support a place that's like "we'll treat you ok, if you're a woman, because we can monetize your presence" and everyone else is on "you need to make it worth it to us to tolerate your presence".

nice incel rhetoric at the end there bro

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

credburn posted:

I don't know if it's all CostCos, but -- I haven't been in one in a decade, but I got a membership recently -- what happened to the BULK? That's the entire point of CostCo. The person who sold me the membership was talking about how they're only like 20% bulk now, as if that's a good thing? Wandering around CostCo now, it's just like being in a huge department store with the same limited selection but now in normal portions and containers, and the entire place reeks of hotdogs. Why did I get a fuckin membership? This place sucks.

:goonsay:

Lmfao of course a loving goon walks down the aisles at costco looking at the 10 lb bags of potato chips and 5 gallon jugs of ranch dressing thinking “wtf?? this is barely a single serving size!!”

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

the only ones I like are the pink 0 calorie monsters or the sugar free red bulls

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

thathonkey posted:

theres only 1 good energy drink and you can brew it yourself at home :colbert:

cum?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

cybercuck

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

Sounds like an L for the manager but a W for the team members

this

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

DeepThought posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_(web_browser)

surf is a minimalist web browser developed by suckless.org. The user interface does not include any graphical control elements; it is controlled via keyboard shortcuts or external tools, which may manipulate its behavior by setting its window's properties.
Most configuration of surf is performed by editing its configuration header file in its source code, and then (re)compiling it. Some settings can be changed without recompiling, via command-line arguments or hotkeys.[2][4]

nerds are so tiresome

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I do think people are missing how insanely cheap it is to fly right now. I personally think the ultra low cost carriers like Spirit rule unless you’re a big baby who absolutely needs to be served water you couldn’t have possibly brought yourself

They’re fine with me for the most part but once I flew frontier and with like 1.5 hours to go in the flight one of the attendants came out and started pitching their credit card over the speaker system and talked until the flight ended and I was trying to sleep the whole time and I gotta say that loving sucked

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I buy the most expensive option on purpose. Its good to have a high paying job

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

TrashMammal posted:

if you have pencilhands cash, consider staging at a nice restaurant or two. you’ll learn a lot about how to eat well and how to respect workers and poor people

I used to be a waiter so I always tip heavy :)

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Zero VGS posted:

See that's the reason supermarkets are getting shittier and turning into Whole Foods clones. You're encouraging them buying garbage like asparagus water and impossible patties. Paying more for organic is an IQ check. Next you're gonna tell me you don't go to Market Basket.

market basket is my favorite grocery store. i wouldnt shop anywhere else if they opened one in western mass. alas....

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

ArmedZombie posted:

life hack: don't eat meat

but i like meat

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

redgubbinz posted:

Sorry, I had come by a few hours earlier, they hadn't had the chance to restock yet

what are your farts like?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

super toots

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

every day i thank God that i was not born in canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

who in the hell is buying fast food these days? I’m a lazy fatass and I don’t even bother anymore