Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Youtube's content ID algorithm got more aggressive. I'm noticing videos where the background music gets cut out with a really bad filter which makes any voiceover sound super muffled. I thought it was my headphones dying at first.

ah ok this helps explain things. i was rewatching an old youtube series and i kept getting sections where the audio would suddenly get really low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Extra row of tits posted:

Maybe it’s just my local barber but..

Booking a haircut.

I can’t walk into my local barber, I’ll be turned away even if they are empty. I have to book online:

Using their app.
Which often circles endlessly (enter your details, now log in, enter your details, now log in)
Which makes you choose the hair cut you want ( if you don’t know or it’s not one of the specific options your screwed)
Now you need to enter an email address, and phone number, and credit card.

Yeah cool, I’ll just give you my details for your lovely glitchy app, I’m sure it won’t be hacked in about ten minutes.

I went to a restaurant with my wife awhile back and the hostess told us they don't accept walk ins and you have to have a reservation. The place was only like a quarter full, but we were like ok whatever and started to leave. The hostess then goes "hey wait you don't have to leave, you can download our app and make a reservation and then I can seat you."

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Windows 98 posted:

Google image search through chrome can absolutely lick my ball sack in 2023. I used to be able to track down exactly what I was looking for: a source. Now if I use the context menu to "Search image with google" it brings up Google Lens. A piece of poo poo that takes up the entire right side of my screen. It never gives me a real source for anything. If I took a picture of Ben Affleck and ran it through Google Lens it would snipe what shirt he was wearing and show me a bunch of ads to buy it. It's so loving annoying. I just want to know where the image was originally sourced from you chucklefucks.

"Yes! I finally found the image I was looking for. Oh wait it's a loving Pintrist link, nevermind."

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

teen witch posted:

Spotify has a new side panel when you click the arrow near album art and why can it just be a larger image of the album art like before??? How is this an improvement???

I hate this so much. I keep Spotify open on my vertical monitor and that garbage panel takes up almost half the space and none of the information on it is useful.

Spotify is a pretty great example of a thing that worked perfectly fine and then steadily got worse every time new features were added by some useless exec trying to justify their job.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Armacham posted:

My wife and her family love to watch live sports. They repeat the same 6 commercials over and over again all day. I have to leave the room or the house to do something else after about 20 minutes.

Also nhl just did this last year lol
https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-fans-are-already-fed-up-with-the-new-digital-board-ads-153359581.html

Yeah same, haven't had cable in over 5 years but I still watch the NBA and the NFL so those are the only times I watch TV commercials, and my loving god they are so bad. The worst is when you see an ad in week 1 that's kinda cute and funny, but by week 10 when you're seeing it for the 5000th time it's like hearing nails on a chalkboard.

Also re: putting an ad blocker on your router, I can't do this because I have fiber and my provider puts a hard coded certificate on their routers to encrypt/decrypt the data. So that means I have to rent the router from them instead of using my own, and of course I can't access any of the settings to install anything or even change the DNS. Putting 3rd party firmware on it would cut off my internet traffic.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Spotify just started playing random songs that aren't on my playlist. Why the gently caress would they do this????? Do they not understand what the loving point of a playlist is????????

I turned off what seemed to be the setting doing this (Autoplay similar content) and it's still happening.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yep that was it, thanks for the tip. I guess I was supposed to notice the little star they added to the shuffle icon?? Still can't understand what this was for when the whole point of a playlist is you pick the songs you want to hear.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Hammerite posted:

step 1. Turn off your computer

Weird, normally people tell me to turn my monitor on when I start complaining about how terrible everything is.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I keep hearing that dentist chains like Sage are awful and constantly try to upsell you.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Medicare for All was gonna include dental and vision for everyone in the country.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Chromecasts are a perfect example for this thread. The first one I got worked perfectly when I bought it. Then it steadily got worse with each update to the point where it was crashing every time I tried to use it.

Then I got a TV with a Chromecast built in and it somehow was even worse.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I always wonder how much of this is due to UX teams going from being a vital part of every tech company to being seen as a completely useless money sink that you should lay off to boost those profits.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Speaking of cheap smart TVs, I turned mine on the other day and got this:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I volunteered at a cat shelter for awhile and so many people just have consumer brain when it comes to pets. Like in their mind they aren't adopting a companion, they are purchasing a product that is supposed to make them happy and if it doesn't they will return it and say it was defective.

One loving guy tried to haggle with us on the adoption fee. When we told him it's a mandatory fee and not a purchase price he told us he was gonna take his business to another shelter.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Cowslips Warren posted:

bring back the loving dollar menu. if a cheeseburger is loving $3 you may as well just make it yourself.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Related to all this, I hate how every moment of tension has to be undercut by the comedy relief character getting a quip in. God forbid the audience experience a negative emotion for more than 5 seconds without someone jumping in to go "well THAT just happened!" or "awwwwkward."

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Mad Hamish posted:

I feel like within the last five years people have just lost all their personal awareness. Nowadays there's always some slow-walking jackass in the middle of the goddamned sidewalk moving at a snail's pace, people walking out of businesses and not looking to see if someone's in the way of the door, folks blocking an entire aisle of the grocery store with a shopping cart while they look for their cans, it's just infuriating.

I started doing my grocery shopping very early in the morning when the store is empty and it has been such a huge improvement to my life.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

doctorfrog posted:

2: Hm, let me read this interesting passage, but first, where the hell can my mouse go that doesn't result in something popping up in front of the text I'm trying to read?

This one in particular drives me insane. "Let me just check the scores of todays games real quick, oh wait my mouse touched something in the menu bar and now a giant menu is now blocking the entire page. Ok I'll just move my mouse away, oh great that just opened more menus, and one of them has a video playing in it somehow."

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I’m sure it’s been mentioned many many times but everyone is being subtly programmed via social media to be reflexively horrible to each other and it’s enshittifying and corrupting pretty much all human communication

I saw a video the other day where these two people got into a dispute over a parking space, but instead of like directly arguing with one another they each got their phone out and started recording while narrating why they were in the right. They were 5 feet apart from one another each going "so there I was just minding my own business when this rear end in a top hat comes out of nowhere..."

We're a country of 330 million main characters.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

shazbot posted:

I’m the dev manager for a very large corporation and our CEO is demanding that everyone make our mobile app our number 1 priority. So all the different business units are cramming our website full of GET OUR APP banners, nags, deep links, etc. Then if you do for some reason get our app (which offers no additional functionality than our website) they are cramming that full of notifications. Notifications such as “if they stop driving for 5 minutes, ask if they need help”

Just extremely anti-user garbage that makes me ashamed of my job.

Sorry

Sure we may have enshittified our entire society but at least we can all sleep well at night knowing that those sweet sweet KPIs were hit.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

buc-ee's doesn't have fans it has evangelists

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Gunshow Poophole posted:

cat food gets shittier constantly. I feed my cats Wellness and they've changed recipe twice in as many years, once to the point that my cats refused to eat it which is very bad for cats :(

and it's just for the normal reason which is needing to post higher profits every quarter

ugh, and it is ungodly expensive to get the good food. one of my cats is on a prescription food and the prices are just insane.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

All the gas stations around here require prepayment now except none of them bother to fix their screens so it’s a huge mess of barely legible text beeping at you

I got gas last week and after I paid but before the pump would start it asked if I wanted to join Mobil rewards and the only options it gave me were "Yes" and "More Info".

Luckily I noticed one of the buttons was worn down so I hit that and it turned out to be "No".

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Just simply do your shopping at your local mom and pop stores, which carry good quality products made in America by union labor.

No I haven't left my house or read the news in the last 30 years, why do you ask?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I hate the loving Netflix button on my remote so much. Accidentally hitting that thing not only interrupts whatever you're watching but it takes 7 button presses to exit out of that goddamn app.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

my biggest google maps annoyance is that the touch input to rotate the map (a thing i almost never want to do) is nearly the same as the touch input to zoom the map (a thing i almost always want to do).

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

yup, it's a one way ratchet that never ends. no matter how hard you enshittified your products in order to hit your numbers this year you gotta do it even harder next year.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

GolfHole posted:

fun fact marketing is all made up and the points dont matter

the supplement industry is particularly bad. you can make pretty much any claim you want so long as you say the magic words "this statement has not been evaluated by the FDA blah blah blah"

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Dip Viscous posted:

I just bought a box of the same brand and size trash bags I've been buying for 15 years and now they're ~10% smaller so they won't fit around the top of my kitchen trash can.

I just got a new box of lawn bags and they are now paper thin. I still had some bags from the last box (same exact brand) and I would say the new ones are maybe 1/3 as thick.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

redshirt posted:

"Lawn bags"?..... for leaves?

I was kinda confused by this at first but I think I know what you mean - those paper bags people fill up with leaves and put at the curb, right?

I live in the tropics so we don't really get leaves like that. I'm talking about those big black trash bags that you fill with yard waste like twigs and bush trimmings. Anything remotely hard pokes right through these lovely new bags I got.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Jelly posted:

Like dude, you can get a cheeseburger from Dick's for the same price as a McDonalds cheeseburger. That is insane.

There's this amazing little Mexican place by me where I can get authentic, freshly prepared food for literally the same price as the Taco Bell that's in the same plaza. Easy loving choice.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

For like 10 years the US clothing store/product line "Express" (maybe now it's called Men's Express, or they split the men/women's section?) was my go to "affordable but decent quality work clothes and suits" store. Like every pair of slacks, button-up shirt, and suit jacket came from there since 2012. You could get clearance stuff for like 50% a lot because it was "out of fashion", and I used to buy several pairs of good quality slacks for like $50 each and they'd last years. They also regularly had "slim fit" versions of shirts which fit my narrow frame perfectly.

The last two pairs of pants I bought there lasted about 5 months before the lining on the inside just shredded apart and the hems at the bottom started unraveling. I got two nice dressy short-sleeve summer shirts from them in April and one of them promptly just lost a button and the other started having the fabric at the base of the shirt just crumple up. And those shirts were like $60 each.

gently caress them, I may finally just make the move to getting a tailored outfit for my important work clothes.

I once had a business professor back in the mid 2000s who previously worked negotiating with retailers on behalf of manufacturers. He told us a story about an underwear manufacturer he represented that desperately wanted to get into Wal-Mart and were willing to sign an exclusive contract with them to make that happen.

But that's when the screws started turning. Every year Wal-Mart would insist on lower and lower prices per unit, and since Wal-Mart was their only buyer they had no choice but to comply. First the manufacturer did layoffs to compensate, then they moved their production to China, and when they could no longer cut labor costs they started cutting down on the thread count of the underwear until they turned into paper thin pieces of poo poo that would fall apart in a few months.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Outrail posted:

How much does a not al theatre experience cost these days? Like $30/pp if you get a popcorn and drink?

I have two theaters by me that do $6 first run movies all day. I take my dad there every once in awhile and we're always the only ones in there.

For the life of me I can't figure out how they stay open.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I once had a coworker who tried to fight a ticket he got from a speed camera on the grounds that the law stated that citations had to come from an officer and he lost in court :shrug:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Beastie posted:

Packaging.

Holy poo poo yes, especially the part about glue being so loving weak.

I used to get this big resealable bag of frozen fruit for smoothies, except the glue attaching the ziploc to the bag was somehow weaker than the ziploc itself. So whenever I went to open a new bag I would just rip the ziploc right off the side of the packaging and now I can't reseal it anymore.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

We're using this new project management software at work. If you want to change the status of a task you just click a button to move it to the next status, except every time you do it opens a loving popup directly over the button to inform you that you just clicked the button.

So when I want to complete a task I have to click the button, wait for the "You just moved this task to In Progress!" popup to disappear, click the button, wait for the "You just moved this task to Under Review!" popup to disappear, click the button, wait for the "You just moved this task to Customer Review!" popup to disappear.....

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

euphronius posted:

It’s crazy how paying someone 15$ an hour or whatever ruins their margins

There's a Wawa that was built near me that still hasn't opened despite having been completed several months ago because they can't find enough people to work there.

There's a bunch of signs posted out front advertising that they pay $15/hr. That number hasn't changed in the 3-4 months it has sat empty since it was completed. You'd think they would bump that number up until they get enough people to open the store so they can, you know, actually make some loving money but then again I'm not a big brain MBA.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

Maybe instead of pretending phone calls are ever the correct solution we could make the systems that aren't phone calls less poo poo. We have a state ubereats/grubhub etc. alternative that I'm convinced is just somebody calling the restaurant.

Yeah it's this. Whenever a company doesn't want to deal with you or doesn't want you to do something they force you to call because they know they can turn that into a huge pain in the rear end designed to make you give up (i swear if I have to listen to another automated voice tell me to listen carefully to the options as they have recently changed....)

It should be straight up illegal for a company to force you to call to cancel a service. Literally everything with a recurring payment should be required to have a one step cancellation button on their site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

redshirt posted:

Am I just old that I will always default to pickup? If I'm in a city and it's a 20 minute walk, I'm walking.

That sounds more like a living in a walkable city thing than an old thing. The closest restaurant to me is 10 miles away.