Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Just use a monitor.

Hah, and they laughed and laughed.

Smart monitors are now a thing you have to watch out for.

Look on Samsung’s works, ye mighty, and despair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

So it has all this poo poo but as far as I can tell it still doesn't have a speaker lol

Hah, I just went and checked the specs on that:

A ringing endorsement of its audio fidelity, I’m sure.

The reviews on Samsung’s own site include negative comments about the sound.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
The last time I used Discord was in the days leading up to Jeffrey’s purchase of SA when folks were spinning tons of them up to abandon ship, and gently caress that is an awful app.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Jelly posted:

I don't know if you mean content or utility but I've had it for like 72 hours or something and I'm already pretty unimpressed with it. My biggest draw was Lower Decks but I'll probably blast through most of the newer Star Trek content like Picard and New Worlds and then cancel it unless people tell me there's some other must watch stuff.

Star Trek is the only thing worthwhile on Paramount+ and even that they’re loving up by selling off chunks of it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

run on sentience posted:

What drives me most insane about it, is that you can browse through books on the app, but they don't include a loving link to the book online. They expect you to add what you want to a wish list from the app, go to the site and navigate to wherever in the terribly user-unfriendly menu the wish list is, then click the link to the book from there to go to the page where you can buy it. Just give me a loving link directly from the app. It would be trivial to add this.

:ssh: That’s the same greed coming through. App Store policies commonly say that you can’t link out to the web to make a purchase, so you end up with insane poo poo like “We know it’s inconvenient, but you have to sign up on the web!” in apps.

Incidentally, the only thing that didn’t go Apple’s way in Epic v. Apple was that the court found that such policies weren’t kosher, so if Tim Sweeney ever decides to stop fighting for the right to force Apple to let him hook a credit card reader up to a slot machine for children and they all stop trying to overturn the verdict, you might get your link!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I mean, Post ITT every time you notice Adobe got shittier for no good reason is practically a thread unto itself.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I’ve never had a problem with Apple Music, other than it not having a “jump ship from Spotify” feature (at the time, maybe it does now?).

Admittedly, I wasn’t a power-Spotify user either, and lived on the free ad tier - when their ads got to be too excruciating to stand (there was one for SolarCity, I think, that had some ASMR-y hacking/coughing/sneezing, I seem to recall), I just went over to Apple Music since I already pay them for tons of poo poo anyway.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

skooma512 posted:

Chili's and Red Robin do. I luckily have never eaten at an Applebee's

For what it’s worth, I’ve never had them force me to use the tablets - you can order drinks and appetizers on them if you want before your server gets there, but it’s not required. I don’t think you can even order entrees and such on there.

I actually really like being able to run my card on them myself when I’m done, but I’m also the sort of person who will seek out self-checkout at the grocery store, so YMMV.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I think part of it too is that stuff is largely disposable now and is used that way, so folks are likely donating/throwing away things rather than trying to get the last dollar out of them.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

You Are A Elf posted:

Milk containers suck poo poo now. The old gallon jugs had a piece of the cap scored with a pull tab so you just very easily pulled the scored piece of cap off and BOOM, your milk is ready to be enjoyed. I hate that little thing under the cap now that’s supposed to peel off the tamper-proof membrane, but 9 times out of 10 just rips right off and you have to stab the membrane and peel it off with your fingers. I have a pretty strong grip and even I have trouble removing that drat thing. I can’t imagine how much harder it must be for elderly people with arthritis and the like.

It’s not just milk, either, but orange juice, tea, and anything else that comes in a one gallon jug.

Sounds like you need the Milk Master 2000.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Peggy Edson posted:

Cell coverage. I used to have a cell tower with Verizon and T-Mobile on the water tower behind my house. I noticed my cell service went to poo poo in my house and found that at some point in the last 2 years, those towers were removed and now the nearest tower is like two miles away. Why the gently caress would they take it down? It's a residential area with thousands of people. AT&T has no towers anywhere in the area at all and the Verizon and T-Mobile towers are on the same water tower 2 miles away, which makes switching carriers completely pointless. Is it even worth trying?

You’ve already been infected by the 5G, so they need to move those antennas to more conservative areas to transmit the woke mind virus.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Arson Daily posted:

Those dumb fuckin Dyson combo faucet/dryer thingys that airports are putting in their restrooms. They don't loving work right and when you combine it with the stupid soap dispenser you have to wave your hand under I just walk right out and use hand sanitizer. WTF faucets and soap pumps and normal rear end paper towel dispensers are a solved problem idk why we need electricity and sensors and "engineering" just so I can wash my loving hands.

I suspect that trying to integrate all of that into the sink is an attempt to limit/reallocate cleaning costs - no puddles of soap to wipe up, no paper towels littered everywhere.

If people didn’t become feral animals whenever they traveled (speaking of things that seem to have got shittier for no good reason), airports probably wouldn’t pursue it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
My Costco has self-checkout, and it’s usually faster than the normal lines and works fine. But I rarely run into issues with self-checkout and prefer it. :shrug:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I stopped going to a dentist for years, despite having “coverage,” because of the stress about what nominal, normal, preventative things the insurance company would deny coverage for and leave me with a giant bill. Or the bullshit upsells - had one dentist offer to give me a deal if I did “everything that day” like I was buying a loving used car from Crazy Larry’s Haus of Wheelz or something.

My wife found a local dentist who’s great though - I don’t know how she submits the claims, but I’ve had to pay almost nothing.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Well, they’ve got some stones, just capitalizing and hyphenating the words of the thing they’re making you do to make it a “program.”

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

wash bucket posted:

If we lived in a bizarro timeline where someone didn't think of the discs-by-mail model until 2023 they would be burning custom discs with commercials in them and the skip/ff feature disabled.

I don’t know how common it is anymore given the state of the rental market, but by the end-days of Blockbuster movie rental stores, studios were actively producing “rental” discs that were often just the film and a closed caption track, and maybe subtitles/dubs for a second language.

Realistically, this was probably fine - if you’re just renting a movie, chances are you don’t care too much about all the other stuff they’d pack onto retail discs. But it just always kind of blew my mind that the market had reached the point where such discs even made economic sense.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Those were Flexplay DVDs - once they turn black, they’re unplayable coasters.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

MrQwerty posted:

Lol Flexplay and the original DIVX, DVD rental solutions so bad that the former was described in a test market as, "not the kind of product our customers are looking for," and the latter killed Circuit City dead.

Hahahah, I had forgotten about DIVX, which is even worse than Flexplay since it required a special DVD player and a dialup connection for authentication.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

steinrokkan posted:

I feel like there's also some sort of pressure to label films as comedy under flimsiest pretenses because the audiences are unable to handle anything that might be serious, so there's a desperate need to convince them "it's not all gloomy and boring, there are some laughs too!"

I remember our family renting “Stepmom” from the comedy section of our video store. The box called it “entertaining” and “hilarious” and “funny.” At worst, you think “OK, maybe some light 90s family heartstring tugging.” Like, look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNUu1d7i26g

In reality it’s a drama about a terminally ill mother coming to terms with the woman who will ultimately raise her children. Kudos to the marketing team to hiding the twist, I guess.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

aniviron posted:

Speaking of ads which are blatantly using generative AI to make hosed up cars, have another ad, this time for the Fallout tv show that is coming out apparently:

It's the sorta poo poo that looks fine at a very quick glance but the more you look at it the more is wrong with it; though the cars with two front ends are pretty easy to see. I sortaaa get it when normal ads go for generation with no oversight on the AI but come the gently caress on, this is an ad for what is in theory a creative work with a large budget that probably has concept art, promotional stills, etc. Is a generative image with three legged people, gibberish letters, and palm tree streetlights the best you can do?

What’s sad is that I think the output could be really interesting if it were intentional - utilizing kitsch art that, as you look at it, you feel more and more uneasy, and start finding more and more wrong about it, seems like it would pair perfectly with the post-apocalypse meets-midcentury-modern vibe.

But you and I know drat well that they just tasked some intern with slamming something into a text box in :15 and this is the result.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

credburn posted:

To be fair, the background of the main menu is supposed to be Bakersfield, which maybe because of hardware limitations couldn't really be depicted well in-game in Fallout 1.

Which in-game looked like this

Both of ‘em look like Bakersfield to me. :rimshot:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

CalamityKate posted:

Someone's fuckin OKR is attached to the new signups metric this half. Depending on how much traffic the site gets, even a handful of people being confused enough to set up new accounts may mean some line on a dashboard goes up slightly instead of staying flat.

It’s probably more for the “Dumb poo poo your work does” thread, but we introduced OKRs as part of Eng planning this year at work and it’s been a loving shitshow. If it gives the managers enough to do that they don’t get antsy and claw back WFH I guess it’s fine, but teams are now forced to invest a huge amount of time to create, wordsmith, and track the drat things.

The biggest part of the problem is that managers seemed to be able to come up with plenty of O’s, but didn’t bother to figure out the KRs, so now we have to go through and backfill all that so that all the green blocks in a spreadsheet stay green.

It’s really great to spend 40 minutes in a team meeting trying to define a metric for something that is currently untracked and is entirely dependent on how other teams operate.

IMO, OKRs were always a lovely make-work bandaid, so I suppose they haven’t gotten worse.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Internet Old One posted:

I’m always puzzled by these sorts of loosy goosy controls. By the time you’re arguing with me about sending you a screenshot it’s hit the effort level for me to make a forgery and it’s actually probably easier to do that than provide an authentic document anyhow.

“Yeah, I have a 1540 credit score, I got a 780 on math and a 760 on English. Didn’t even take the PFICO.“

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

You Are A Elf posted:

Just saw on the news McDonald’s is gonna phase out the self-serve soda fountains for “hygiene concerns” and staff will fill customers’s cups for them.

Lol it’s because people request a cup for water and then blatantly get 30 free refills of Coke with it and don’t try to hide it.

I’m honestly somewhat surprised that fast food restaurants didn’t use COVID as an opportunity to phase out dine-in altogether - it seems like an oddly expensive and time-consuming enterprise at this point compared to “just take your bag of garbage and go.”

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
The only correct solution to this problem is to not listen to podcasts.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Verdugo posted:

Apparently android apps can add to the context menu which sucks. Installed outlook for my stupid work email and now they put search with bing in there. Only way to get rid of it is to uninstall the app. gently caress bing.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah I ran into this bullshit a few days ago. Even worse, I had the Microsoft office app as well as outlook, so I had to go to the three dots for copy, total garbage. It should be an android setting you can configure, why they let an app commandeer basic menus is beyond me.

Hey look, it’s the future Tim Sweeney wants for iOS in his pursuit of tying credit cards to slot machines targeted to children.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

credburn posted:

Dominoes advertising sure has poo poo the bed lately.

1990s: Our pizza is delicious!
2000s: Sorry, our pizza was actually trash but we're trying harder
2010s: We just suck at pizza so we're trying some other things
2020s: lol we fuckin suck at everything We hired Nathan For You to run our business.

Fixed.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

DrBouvenstein posted:

FYI, Patreon just released an update and, surprise, it's poo poo!

And the logo is butt:

I can’t think of a single time the “our brand will absorb any identity like it’s Kirby” bullshit ever loving worked, and it’s just a sign that nobody will tell their designers or brand consultants “no,” and that nobody knows what their corporate identity actually is.

I only hope there’s a Pepsi-esque slide deck to leak that uses the golden ratio to explain how the Patreon logo is “aesthetic geometry” and corresponds to the Earth’s magnetic fields

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 5, 2023

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Black Noise posted:

Fishbowl is getting LinkedIn level discourse. "What are your companies thoughts on the Isrea..." :staredog:

But maybe this is me noticing it was always garbage.

I never signed up, but used to get spam emails to my company email address that showed recent posts or whatever to try to get me to sign up. I bowed out and memory holed it once it got to “my company is forcing me to be vaccinated.”

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Dip Viscous posted:

I've been buying bacon again after taking a break from it for a few years and none of the three brands I've tried have cleanly cut slices anymore. It looks normal in the package, but attempting to take some out results in it pulling apart into a stringy mess of shredded meat. The resulting tiny bits of cooked bacon still work for sandwiches, but WTF.

I’ve found the Costco Kirkland bacon is the best in this regard. Otherwise, agreed - it just seems so fatty lately that I don’t know that you can even get clean slices.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

DrBouvenstein posted:

Either way, I can't begin to fathom why it's like this. A company initially built on how good it's web-search was has email searching worse than Outlook 98?

I think what people forget about Google’s rise to ubiquity wasn’t that their products were particularly great, it’s just that everyone else’s were so loving awful.

IMO, a lot of their products (like Gmail) are coasting on inertia at this point.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I mean, no matter what, Tom Nook gets paid.

When it all comes down to it, computers are an insanely good deal when compared to people cost. Even if your employee “needed” a $3500 MacBook or something, that’s still like $3/day amortized over the life of the machine - it literally costs my employer more for me to come into the office.

The “extra” $50 for a Windows license or whatever washes out pretty quickly, and that’s only if the business is operating at a place where they’re big enough for “enterprise” but not so big that they could negotiate no-os or Linux installs.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

mawarannahr posted:

I can't add a new home address on PayPal using Firefox -- i get a "Something went wrong! Try again later" error from PayPal. It works in Edge.

Sounds like a “developers only tested in Chrome” error to me.

I swear, as an industry, we learned nothing from IE6.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

wash bucket posted:

My dad was convinced automatic car washes with brushes would scratch your paint over time. That's one of the things he drilled into my brain stem from a young age. I have no idea if it's true or not but I wouldn't dare find out.

It’s fairly common advice amongst the Tesla set. Not due to any fault in the car washes, but because Tesla’s paint job is so finicky that your only options to avoid damage are hand washing or touchless.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

withak posted:

I think that was literally the first feature on iPhone 1.

It was literally how Steve Jobs envisioned third-party apps would work on the iPhone - everyone would write web apps that would just be pinned to the home screen. He had to be talked into the App Store.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
It’s companies chasing that pandemic captive-audience high and poorly dealing with the fact that they’re just not getting that back - that’s why it’s happening fairly consistently across the industry.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

withak posted:

Send an IT ticket demanding that it be disabled.

Watch, they’ll just disable search entirely for everyone, but in a way that it just leaves a broken text box in everyone’s task bar.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Pulse/Ivanti/WhateverTheFuckTheyCallThemselvesToday VPN on its own is a garbage fire. I don’t think it ever got shittier, it was just poo poo to begin with.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

GolfHole posted:

but eschewing good apps just because of app fatigue is problematic. we need centralized medical records.

I went to a John Muir ER lately, and then the next time I went to my Sutter PCP, they were able to pull up all the records from John Muir and it was just great. I think they’re even able to get at my records from Providence back in Oregon. I think it’s because they’re all on the Epic records platform, but it feels very much like The Way It Should Work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

redshirt posted:

The Pandemic took some shots at the Hotel Breakfast.

It took a while for anything not 100% pre packaged to come back, but when it did, strangely, potatoes have disappeared. I have not seen them at any hotel since before 2020, and they used to be a default staple. Did potatoes become super expensive?

The waffle stations have slowly returned in most places..

I’ve seen cubed seasoned potatoes at a few. They’ve only been at the higher end of hotels with continental breakfast offerings though.