Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Big Lots stores.

There was a time that going to them was a drat adventure and you didn't know what you could find. Strange regional food products, refurb goods, discontinued products, etc.

Like Big Lots used to actually sell full-fledged computers and laptops.

Now you go in there and it's all the same as other discount places or mainstream retailers. There's not that same sense of finding something uniquely special outside of some of their food and furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Aftermarket car stereos.

I kind of get 'why', because mostly the OEM one has all sorts of things built into it and normal radios aren't going to be easy replacements.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
College course articulation.

LIsten, if this isn't going to actually count at all towards my degree, don't tease me with, "We accepted all your credit, as gen eds. I know your first choice school accepted them all as major requirements for this program... Seems like the only thing they didn't accept was you. Sorry, bad joke... Anyway, so, you know, you get to take them over, how cool is that?!"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Those built in zip locs are awful, just get a bunch of these

There are two similar products I highly recommend.
https://www.amazon.com/Clip-n-Seal-Bag-Clips-Color-Pack/dp/B017L27NW2
They come in multiple variety of size and color.

Another are similar and called banana seals.

Kind of pricey, but mine have lasted a long time and they're extremely durable.

If you buy the long ones you can slice them down into a few smaller custom sizes. Just make sure to leave an extra inch on the inner rod to make removing easier.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

Start looking for a new job asap. No joke, coffee machine stock issues is high up on the list of red flags that a tech company is about to die

About 25 years ago there was a streaming radio station named Talkspot. Literally like just week or so before the company shut down one of the hosts of a show was commenting about how they'd raised the prices on all the vending machines in the snack room.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
USB cables.

Bought a really cheap USB meter a few years ago and learned how bad a lot of my cables actually are.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Dollar General stores. We've had tons of them built in our area over the last few decades and no matter how nice or new they are, the moment they've been open a few years the interiors looks like completely wrecks and overpacked with stuff.

I can't quite figure it out as other discount stores tend to do a bit here and there with looking nice (Big Lots, Dollar Tree, Five Below, etc.) in their own ways.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Yahoo News seems really clickbaity these days. Also, it feels like that and some of the non-Yahoo recommended article things are repeating several of the same articles with different titles at the same time or repeating them several times over months and even years.

But, hey, it's probably driing engagement and making them some sort of money.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Local broadcast TV.

20 some years ago you could turn on local TV programming and you'd have some decent variety in late night/weekend content to make it a bit worth keeping an eye on.

Today, even with all the subchannels on antenna, it all feels far more bland in selection.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Speakers in every single media device. Not so much the quality, but this is how it goes down:

0-9: Can't hear a thing. On a loudness scale of 1-10, its a 1.1.
10: Volume shoots up very high and loud as hell and wakes up the whole house. Loudness scale of 1-10, it's jumped to an 8.
16-30: Goes up to about a 9.
31-100: It just goes up a tiiiiiiny little bit in volume for each increment until at max.

I don't know what is wrong with the digital volume scaling on stuff that it feels like there's an unusual curve on volume changes compared to the volume levels.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Is it just me or do Dollar General stores all get worse and worse looking in almost instantanous short order?

I'm now convinced the reason they build so many is because it's easier than trying to fix up the one half a mile away to not look like a cluttered mess.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Navigating college websites feels like it's gotten shittier in the last decade or two. My guess is that they hiding a lot of once-open content behind university portals that require a login to access.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

professors used to write their own homepages in html (by hand or with frontpage) and put course information there. I think they have to put all that stuff on a CMS now. there probably isn't even infra anymore for a professor to host their own page without jumping through hoops.

it sucks how back in the day there were things like frontpage and flash that people could use to make stuff without coding very much. now you gotta write markdown or learn react or hand-code animations using css and js.

I'm guessing a lot of teachers would probably also fall back on just having a link to a PDF or a .DOC, too. I think a few times the links to such things were literally just .TXT files.

Semi-related: Wasn't it far more common (not universal, just more common) for IPs to give users their own small space for setting up their own webpages? I'm sure that there's a number of alternatives in just about every way you can imagine, but i can't recall the last time that such a feature was listed or included.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
We have some grocery stores that are the blend of: Human cashier and another set of conveyor belts AFTER the cash register that everything gets set on and you have to walk to the end and start bagging yourself, and you'd better be done before the next person's stuff starts coming through.

Anyone else old enough to remember when stores had ANOTHER conveyor system going from the inside of the store to the outside, so you'd toss your stuff into a tote and drive up alongside the conveyor to pick it up?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

redshirt posted:

No, but it sounds magical. I used to dream of pneumatic tubes like the drive thru bank. Everything just "Zwipping" through tubes.

They were something like this.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78111739@N00/1393240067

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
One of the plus sides of self-checkout that I've heard some people talk about is for more 'personal' items customers feel self-conscious having a cashier handle during checkout depending on various factors of each party involved. Hygiene products, family planning products, certain OTC meds, etc. A lot still will take cash as an option, too, so you don't even have them showing up on a credit card.

Admittedly, you're being watched by camera and your entire purchase and your face is being captured on video for years and your entire purchase history tracked via facial recognition software and :tinfoil:...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Microsoft had a pretty easy to use free GIF animator several years ago that they abandoned pretty quickly. I think they more or less even pulled it off their website and it only survived due to being hosted on others for years, from what I recall.

I'm probably wrong, but I was guessing it likely had something to do with the GIF licensing rights or something, because I vaguely remember something about such a thing a year a few years later.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I keep thinking Woot went massively downhill in the last few years when they started flooding their marketplace with questionable deals and products.

Used to go to woot every day a decade ago, now its not even once a month.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Maybe already mentioned this: Universal Remotes.

A lot of companies used to make some fairly nice universal remotes with features like IR Learning and a lot of buttons and a decent layout. Now they all kind of feel like crap and I can't find a single remote in a local store with learning features.

I kind of thought that the IR learning stuff would have been such old hat by this point that the cost of adding it would be minor.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

shirunei posted:

can't wait for the post in three years about how your lifetime subscription is no longer valid

Unrelated to this, but a few years back I still had DSL because it was what was available around here. In the very final years of it they were offering some DSL plans that were insanely high for the speed, but had a lower introductory price for the first year.

Except the lowest speed plan.

Something like a 768kbps plan for the low price of $30 a month, locked in at that price for the first 9999 months.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

redshirt posted:

lol just LOL at the concept of health care on Amazon Prime.

I'm not joking when I say the following:

I am waiting for the day that Amazon announces they've gotten accreditation to start doing online degrees. It has to be soon.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think we're missing out on the bigger picture of Amazon Education: Your credentials are only valid so long as you maintain an active subscription to an Amazon University Prime account.

It's like a student loan, but you have to pay $200 a month for the rest of your life to keep your degree from expiring. Let it lapse once and they delete all your work.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Instant lottery tickets: A $1 scratcher used to have 5 or 6 spots to scratch off, now they're down to 4. I know it doesn't matter all that much because you can just scratch off a single spot and scan it to see if you won anything, but it's just something of a strange reduction.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

~Coxy posted:

I don't see how that tracks; iPhone was released in 2007 as a niche toy for rich Mac users, the first iPhone that was truly better than any other phone was 2009, and nobody was giving their kids an equivalent device until iPads became a commodity in 2011 at the very earliest.

(arguably 2012-2013, since that's when the first generation of wide adoption would have started buying their second generation of devices, and passing down their previous devices to their kids.)

To continue this talk for a small moment longer: Around 2007-2009, before smartphones and tablets were a big deal, there were some other low-cost mobile internet options as public wifi was starting to spread.

The mid-late 00s had something of a big boom on lots of schools pushing towards renting every student a laptop. Low-cost netbooks were very popular for a while until tablets. The DS and PSP also eventually had internet browser capabilities, too. I would even suggest that given the popularity of the 3DS that it might have seen a lot of use as the 'mobile internet for kids' device before they got smartphones.

Admittedly, that's all a far cry from the widespread cellular data and touchscreens of iPhones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
A store removed their 'cost per ounce' listing from shelf tags. The tags are so full of numbers, though, it might be difficult to spot in the mix.