Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Killingyouguy! posted:

Typing indicators and read receipts are good actually :colbert:

If they worked they would be. Unfortunately this means none are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Trying to schedule a haircut, why do I need to have a login? Why do you want me to download an app? Why, when I call, am I redirected to someone who apparently doesn't even know which place I called? Why is everything so goddamn awful?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Woot went massively downhill about a decade ago now. I think meh.com is still okay?

E: yes meh.com is alive and well and selling power banks as God intended. They were created by the old woot folks.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

TotalLossBrain posted:

Is geocities doing ok guys?

We sent Geocities to live on a farm upstate with all the other free web hosts, where it has plenty of room to run and play and embed low-bitrate Evanescence midis into every page. Geocities is doing fine.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Unless something has massively changed in the past 5 or so years you have to go well above $500 per unit to get a fingerprint scanner that cannot be fooled by tapelifting someone else's prints. They're the epitome of security theater unless you spend an absolute butt-ton on them.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Prepared food and delivery aren't intrinsically bad, we just live in a world where almost every prepared food option is terrible and delivery is run by huge, exploitative corporations. Absent massive profits, delivery should be cheaper, faster, and healthier then what you could make at home as a single individual.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cerekk posted:

Hence why it's basically impossible to lose money running a restaurant

Unless you're absolutely spectacularly bad at running a kitchen, food is not where unprofitable restaurants lose their money.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

AARD VARKMAN posted:

There's literally only one I can actually think of, and it's as minor a victory as they come in this thread...

I've got another, but it might be old.

Chicken sandwich chain PDQ got rid of their zucchini fries early on in the pandemic. Easily the best thing on the menu and they just disappeared. Well now they're back. Can't say for sure that I've been to PDQ at all in the last two years or so, but when I went last weekend they had 'em on the menu like normal.

Nature is healing.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Okay but what's a webasto?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

cat botherer posted:

Those ads are very successful at getting me to go to other gas stations.

You can just jam your keys in the speaker. Just try not to jam them through the speaker because then you can hear them again. The goal is right up against the speaker.

If you find a gas station that somehow prevents access to the speaker, the answer is domestic terrorism.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

MrQwerty posted:

There is a tabletop convection oven tied into a subscription meal prep service that scans QRs to get cook times and temps lol

I saw an ad for it a month or two ago

Sounds like the Juicero all over again. Techbros will be the death of us all.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Salt Fish posted:

Wegmans is what snooty east coasters think a great grocery store looks like but they've never been to horrocks.

You just fuckin' made that up, don't lie.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Mobile OSes suck way, way more than desktop OSes, but they're nefarious because they hide it and most people don't know. Both Android and iOS, for example, make it impossible to software disable Bluetooth. Turning Bluetooth off disables normal user-facing Bluetooth functionality, but any software on your phone with certain permissions (varies by OS but sadly it's usually Location) can see the nearby Bluetooth devices AND be detected by nearby Bluetooth beacons while Bluetooth is ostensibly "off".

There is no consumer benefit to this. There is zero argument for things to work this way that doesn't start and end at "gently caress you, consumer!". It can be and is used to track you down to the inch every loving day, and it's not even close to to worst they do. Motherfuckers need to go against the wall over it, I'm sick of how absolutely complacent people are about enshittification.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
God I hate saying this but we need QCS back.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

yeah, sure, that would be a much better place to question the Palestinian Genocide

If it's between having QCS and allowing mods to go around raising hackles about the word "Zionist" unchecked then my vote is QCS ten thousand times out of ten.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

doctorfrog posted:

So, I say now: practice doing without cheap, good, ad-free content now. Because absolutely none of it is worth enduring a single ad for, much less the nonsense to come.

Absolutely absurd that you think cheap ad-free content will ever go away. It won't. We're just entering another period where yo ho ho is better than streaming. That's the thing, piracy is the omnipresent baseline that the services must defeat to exist, and piracy is at an all time low because legal streaming has been so easy and good in the recent past.

Give it a little time and piracy will be easier than ever, and the legal streaming companies will once again be forced to provide value in order to eat. Remember, piracy got us streaming in the first place. Piracy will fix this.

Yo ho ho, motherfuckers.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

Man the “ai” slop into mass culture is really horrific and depressing lol

Now consider how fuckin cool it's gonna be when everybody's grandparents have a 24/7 assault of AI scammers.

Future's great.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Thread's a reading club now, nothing we can do about it:

Remember to download the PDF unless you plan on reading in a single session, no reason to murder the kind folks' bandwidth.

E: oh poo poo this is actually really good, thanks for the recommendation

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 29, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

Is Google on the take from toll road operators or something? Whenever I use google maps now it will try to direct me to a faster route that it doesn't mention is a toll road so I can pay $5 to save 2 minutes. I have to pick up my phone while I'm driving and press a prompt on the screen to make it stay on the route I told it I wanted. I was driving about 600 miles on Friday and it kept telling me it had found a faster route and trying to redirect me onto a toll road that, when looking at the screen, it claimed was actually 30 minutes slower.

Holy poo poo this yes, I was on my way back from my parents' house for the holidays and Google kept trying to redirect me onto toll roads. Absolutely loving obnoxious.

Is there an alternative? I liked Waze until Google bought it, now it's just Maps reskinned.

E: here in Florida everyone has also fallen for the Express Lanes on the Interstate scam, too. That's a scam. The only thing installing Express Lanes does is financially incentivize never actually fixing the road or any viable alternatives, since they would decrease the money they make from the express lanes. Orlando is the second city I've lived in that's pulled this poo poo, it's baffling that people are this stupid.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 30, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

edit: sorry, no more gun chat. Updated with enshitified socks

I've been buying the same socks from Uniqlo for years because they're great for the price and I re-up every 6 months or so. The sock on the right is from July/August the one on the right is from a couple weeks back.

Also, please enjoy my chicken drumsticks

Okay but on the right from the perspective of the wearer or the camera?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

they're the official whites supremacist shoe

They're not, we don't let white supremacists claim things just because they say they did and by failing to understand this and repeating their assertion you're part of the problem.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

if new balances are as important to you as single digit math, then sure. just wear the new balances, or don't, but holy poo poo don't get on people who don't wanna deal with that, that they're not putting in the effort to 'normalize' poo poo so it doesn't get 'taken' by the white supremacists or whatever

like goddamn no, if someone is just like 'i don't want to look like a white suprmacist' bc that's their association, let them be and you can just wear your new balancese

The only people trying to normalize anything in this thread are a bunch of conflict-averse shitlib cowards desperately trying to normalize letting white supremacists 'take' things because they're too stupid to understand how that works. If you let lovely people 'claim' things willy nilly it lets them pretend their support is more widespread than it is, and that makes you no better than anyone else who turns a blind eye to this bullshit, regardless of what you pretend to believe.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Bouillon Rube posted:

My Mazda has remote start through the app but it shuts off the engine as soon as you open the door. I’m sire there is some safety reason for this but I can’t figure it out for the life of me

It's to sell starters.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Setting up a new Windows 11 machine for my aunt. Brand new, fresh out of the box, 11 spends about 15 minutes on updates before allowing the user access. Seems strange, with 10 it was more like a solid half hour unless you installed from a fresh ISO but maybe they're streamlining updates during the initial setup, who knows?

Haha nope, the computer boots to desktop a full 3 months out of date and requires an additional 30 minutes of manually-initiated updates to get to the current version. It doesn't even bother to mention this, no, if I hadn't been here my aunt (who has had multiple serious malware infections in the recent past and isn't ducking smart enough to tell her box is rocked) would just be multiple critical-flagged updates out of date for God knows how long. Literally had to boot the computer, open Windows Update, manually check for updates (because it lies like every Microsoft product does and says "up to date!" even though it's not and it's literally never checked) and then manually install them three times in a row.

This is emblematic of why I'm leaving IT, and it pisses me off to no end that I bet on the wrong horse in loving high school and it's costing me an entire career twenty years later. gently caress.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

Why's it the wrong horse?

I too bet on this horse and I'm not exactly happy with the results either.

Honestly everything about the industry sucks and I'm watching it all get worse. Certs are right back to being the joke they were in the late oughts, but this time we have to recertify annually *and* learn to the test since half the information is out of date by the time a test is published due to the patching cadence MS has adopted. That plus all the paper tigers in the industry means you never really get to fill your titled role, so you can't meaningfully plan a career. This makes applying and interviewing for positions a shitshow, since you don't often have the skills or competencies that your title path implies due to never being allowed to actually work your titles.

On top of that Windows 11 is a piece of poo poo, so we're back to a divided environment where any given group might be running 10 and Server 19 or 11 and Server 22 or some bastard hybrid of the four. Feels like I'm back in 2012 keeping 7 and 2008R2 alive in an 8/2012 world. That was a poo poo show and fragmented the industry for half a decade, this is the exact same and is predictably fragmenting the industry again and Microsoft simply does not care. We're not getting our stability and reliability back, we're gonna deal with quarterly feature updates we can barely control 'til they find a somehow worse patch model to migrate to. I had more and better version control managing student iPads in an education environment than I do now with a loving fleet of desktops, it's pathetic.

Every role I've had in the last 8 years has been a lie. Most recently I was Technical/QA Lead but my actual job duties were mostly training a high-turnover help desk. I'm sick of all my jobs being traps. I'm sick of recruiters who lie on my behalf so I can frustrate interviewers. I'm sick of not being able to do a single drat part of my titled role for ever a few hours a week. I'm sick of doing 8-10 hours of work outside work every week just so the titles on my resume reflect things I can actually do. I believed in 2012 and got through the bullshit then, but now we're all back in it but worse. Now the only thing I believe is that the industry is a scam built on lies.

I'm leaving for industrial automation where the certifications are for hardware rather than software and diagnostics are done with a multimeter. The pay is better, the unions exist, and the tech has been essentially unchanged since the 60s. I wish anyone who's staying on this sinking ship the very best, but my time has come.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

What size is that? Because in Orlando I can spend less than that for a pizza the size of a human child:

Guess there's still one thing okay about this place.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
That makes the 56 cents punchline slightly less funny but improves both the bucket of garlic butter and dead dad ones dramatically

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

deep dish peat moss posted:

I got my new bluetooth earbuds today and... you need a loving samsung app to pair them to your phone. You can't just pair them as a goddamn bluetooth device lmao what the gently caress. And the app doesn't work unless you give it access to your location services

They do sound real good tho

Wait you installed the app anyway? Do you realize that if people like you didn't do that then companies would stop doing poo poo like this? Fuckin' hell.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

redshirt posted:

I thought the US MLS was doing pretty well? Everytime I watched (3-4 times over last year) the stadiums were full and people seemed into it.

It's small potatoes compared to the big 4 sports, but it's vibrant IMO.

Here in Orlando we have Orlando City Soccer and they seem to do okay, full stadiums, lots of people and all that. I don't go myself very often and tickets are pretty cheap or free from the radio, but people wear the merch and go nuts over it so I guess that's nice. It definitely makes money, at least here.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Forums are actually *extremely* good at solving this problem and it's insane that they are all but extinct.

Two things here. First, forums require financial upkeep for hosting and moderation, two things absolutely nobody wants to shell out for. SA exists because we've gamified the system so that twelve perma'd users' reregs and a smattering of otherwise banned reregs pay these costs. That's lightning in a bottle most cannot capture.

Second, any forums owned by an IP holder will necessarily be heavily censored and periodically culled. Every company is actively engaged in making their products worse so they can profit more and upsell things that they previously included, and a long-standing forum would be evidence of that. Discord and Facebook are inoffensive here because they're so difficult to search that it may as well be impossible.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

Was this whole food delivery trend that sprung up yet another thing where free VC money made it effective but now the chickens are coming home to roost? I feel like 15 years ago the idea of getting any food other than pizza or few others delivered to your door was vanishingly rare.

No, it's more that they exploited the independent contractor loopholes in a massive way for a very long time and now the chickens are coming home to roost. The model is still viable and it's likely that it will never truly die, but the current players are all doomed because the VCs they rely on for money got addicted to growth, so they made extremely bad and risky financial decisions like creating their own ghost kitchens, offering relay-order services (where the business doesn't know they're on the app, which results in much worse service for everyone involved) and loving up the independent contractor thing so bad that half the country is either currently legislating them out of existence or already have.

You know, just the usual mask-off nightmare capitalist bullshit.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Philthy posted:

Been using it like that for the past 7 years. Zero issues. I can't speak to your own network connections, though.

"Works on my machine"

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

And I bet if you looked at the books of all the asphalt/concrete companies and private contractor road crews, they almost all to a T took pandemic monies ostensibly to "keep staff" but still layed them all off and pocketed the savings, and yet still got their loans forgiven.

In Florida we also did the double whammy of cracking down on undocumented immigrants specifically at Florida Department Of Transportation worksites. Turns out nobody else wants those jobs, and now there's nobody to do them at all.

So fuckin' cool having a governor run your state as an extension of his failed presidential campaign.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Philthy posted:

Cybersec is actually hiring on experience, not education. Most of IT has shifted from education because it can't keep up. They are looking for experience, and often times they will take completely unrelated IT people to fill those roles for the warm bodies. If anyone is a part of, or follows the major IT research companies they will all tell you to look for the experience and don't even consider the education. People graduating today are already 4-5 years behind.

IT degrees have always been years behind for as long as there have been IT degrees. IT is moving away from degree-holders because they expect to be paid like degree holders, not some other stupid reason you made up. This is the same reason they are taking candidates with irrelevant experience, people with relevant experience expect to be paid for it. Modern IT jobs do not pay. Especially infosec, and doubly especially entry level infosec.

Before I left the industry I applied to over 700 positions both inside and outside my areas of expertise. A single digit percentage even responded, and without fail, those that did were offering below living wage for wherever they expected me to live. I even got offered a few remote contracts that dynamically scaled their pay to basically poverty+20% in any state of my choosing. This has been the experience of every other job seeker in the field I've spoken to over the last two years.

It's weird to watch you basically stan an industry you clearly do not understand. Please stop. I left for industrial automation and literally doubled my pay with no relevant experience.

E: I missed a page here but I'm reassured to see even more people who have had my experience. As someone who has had severe impostor syndrome (back in the early 10s before it was cool) I was setting very bad deja vu applying to jobs for 6-8 hours a day for weeks straight with no response. Feels loving bad, man.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 31, 2024

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cerekk posted:

Indeed.com shows dozens of open postings advertising $200+ on the high end in Chicago, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus and Detroit, and high 100s in Indianapolis, Des Moines, St. Louis, and Omaha.

A job posting's listed pay grade does not indicate that anyone will ever be paid that amount for doing that job, if said job even exists at all.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Cerekk posted:

Well one guy posted that he knows people getting paid that, and then another guy posted an anecdote that he personally had a hard time finding a job, so I think I'll go with the holistic body of evidence and the all time low unemployment rate rather than the bitter musings of some randos that for all we know are unqualified for the positions they're applying for.

Truly, humanity's ability to ignore evidence directly in front of it and just decide to keep believing whatever they want is astounding.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Modal Auxiliary posted:

So do we just not do redtext avatars anymore or what?

I'm having a bad weekend so any redtext I buy would be a realmad.txt and have the opposite of the intended effect, but if you have some good ideas or want to worship something in the thread I'll send you a gift cert to do it, just lmk.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

There's an even older SiriusXM lifetime sub that has was sold by XM that includes a lifetime subscription and access to all XM separately paid channels, but because SiriusXM is emphatically not XM (and is in fact just Sirius) that sub no longer includes separately paid content. My friend has that sub and has since XM started offering it, though to be fair that was like twenty fuckin years ago and only like $120 so I think she got her value out of it.

E: her sub still works on her newish radio in her Jeep and I can't imagine she paid a transfer fee to do it so :shrug:

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 3, 2024

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
As for planned obsolescence (I mean plastic parts what ought be metal) some of the controller boards I use have changed their box designs so they have proprietary snap-in plastic standoffs rather than the metal standoffs that have been an industry standard since the 60s. The plastic standoffs are cantilevered, and these boards and boxes are installed on industrial machinery so vibration happens and the plastic cantilevers break.

I have old versions of these in the field with metal standoffs that have been in operation since 1996 with nothing but fuse replacements, and now I'm servicing 10 month old units where all 4 standoffs are snapped and need replaced and the boards are moving freely as a result. Just last week we had to replace a board that shorted against the box door for exactly this reason. It's bullshit, and each standoff is $15 (rather than $0.10 for the metal standoffs). It's pathetic money grubbing at its finest.

wash bucket posted:

I was blown away when I found out these were a thing. One of my coworkers was building a house with sealed LED fixtures in their vaulted ceiling. They absolutely could not be convinced that would be a problem one day.

Honestly the best solution to this in my opinion is shallow cans with lips and snap-in LED adapters. Cans last forever, we'll be making LED adapters for them long, long after the sun burns out.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

Isn't Etsy just a bunch of low effort dropshippers these days?

It's not, but their algorithm is very sensitive about what it likes and doesn't like, and in my experience legitimate sellers are likely to be delisted or listed farther down than illegitimate resellers who are usually managed by someone who is aware of or actively manipulating the algo.

I had this issue a few years back where someone I worked with was selling hand-cast pendants but a mass manufacturer on Alibaba had copied some of their designs and resellers were getting listed much, much higher than her original designs, even when explicitly searching her product names. The "fix" we found was to take all new pictures for her items because resellers were stealing her pictures (even for the Alibaba listing) and that results in her being ranked lower. She now takes new product pictures every 6mos and it seems to fix it? But why would a legitimate seller do that? Seems backwards.