Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tarezax posted:

I've been working at clearing the challenges and I'm finally down to just Jokerless

I'm with you there after clearing Golden Needle yesterday.

I'm on ios so I don't have the update yet, but I love this game enough that I'm going for Completionist++ eventually. I've already gotten golden stickers on some jokers I was really dreading, from the tier list here (which I found pretty accurate pre-patch, although I'd definitely rearrange a few things) I think I have 13/35 of the D tier ones already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V1KQlcwy2M

Personally, I'd say:
Move Up: Baseball Card, Hologram, Burglar, Even Steven, Blue Joker, Green Joker

Drop down: the non-pair/flush ones like The Trio, Scholar, DNA, Acrobat, Mystic Summit, Ancient Joker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Eschatos posted:

So what's the strat with anaglyph besides double negatives? Doin pretty well but feel like just waiting for those might be suboptimal.

It might have been orange stake but one of my easiest Anaglyph clears was getting Bootstraps and using my big stockpile of double tags on the money doubling one

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Relyssa posted:

Pretty sure they only get added when you beat the final boss blind. Endless won't give you any stickers.

This is correct, it's a snapshot when you clear ante 8.

If you clear it on a Mr. Bones save, all of the other jokers in hand will get the gold sticker but Mr. Bones won't.

(Actually on the tier list thing I'd move up Mr. Bones to like, B because if you get him in the 8th blind he's pretty much an auto-win, skip to the boss and he's -1 joker slot to clear with 25% of the chips)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Leon Sumbitches posted:

So I finally beat the gold stakes with the checkered deck. I'm sick of flushes, but it seems like such low hanging fruit.

Any advice for the next deck/build type I should try? I still have about 11 jokers to unlock.

At least pre-patch, I've found Ghost Deck easiest and the most fun to clear with and Plasma Deck easiest to play, since you really just want to stack chip jokers.

My order was Checkered, Plasma, Erratic, Green, Yellow, Ghost, Blue, Zodiac, Anaglyph, Red, Nebula, Abandoned, Magic, Painted, and Black.

(Orange stake on black was worse than gold stake on any other deck to me)

Phenotype posted:

If I have two jokers and one of them is eternal, and I use one of those spectral cards that gives one joker a bonus and kills all your other jokers, does that always end up with your eternal joker getting the bonus, or is there a 50% chance that your other joker gets the bonus and the kill effect bounces harmlessly off the eternal joker?

Per my understanding it'd be a 50/50 for spectral cards like Ankh, but Madness will always ignore your eternal jokers and eat one if it can

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

The worst thing with Green Joker is when you get one early and The Hook is your ante 1 boss. The cards it discards at the end of the turn count as a -1. If you get it late with Stuntman though you can just play the full 5 cards and ignore it, which feels nice.

Relyssa posted:

I only ever take green joker if I'm positive I won't need to discard. It hardly ever gets to scale for me because I need those discards. If I have Burglar though, all bets are off. DNA is incredible though, and you'd be a fool to drop it down.

This is specifically thinking about gold stake and I've rarely gotten a DNA while I've been strong enough to effectively play a hand down - I wish I've had it when I've had a Stuntman or another set-up for a high card build already cooking, maybe seeing it pop off once would change it.

Green Joker kicks rear end when you get it early with a consistent build, I'm keeping a spreadsheet with my cards as of clearing and it's been a part of 4/24 of my gold stake clears. That's only behind Stuntman (11), Vampire/Supernova (8), Square Joker/Blackboard (6), and Hologram (5).

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

No Wave posted:

Wow ty for keeping track of jokers used thats gonna be super interesting by the end. Not surprised to see stuntman that high he's the king.

I knew it'd drive me insane to not have an idea of what order I got the gold stickers in, plus I'm listing them in a rough order of "made the run" to "made no impact but I could sneak a negative Seance into this build" for each run.

So far the weirdest clear I've had was this one with the Zodiac deck, I had to sell Astronomer for Verdant Leaf and Hallucination is just in there because I was holding two Judgments to roll for jokers I didn't have the sticker on

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

(Actually on the tier list thing I'd move up Mr. Bones to like, B because if you get him in the 8th blind he's pretty much an auto-win, skip to the boss and he's -1 joker slot to clear with 25% of the chips)

On that note, big ups for Mr. Bones getting me my Rough Gem golden sticker in exactly this way lol

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Lived the dream with a negative tag, along with Bull which was a legit part of the build I got to sneak in useless copies of Jolly Joker, Drunkard, Zany Joker, and Shoot the Moon

If only ios had the update they'd have all been free and I could have cashed in the last few without potentially shutting down Bull, oh well

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

MJeff posted:

So, with all the challenges done, there's not much left to do, so I knocked out two achievements today, play a flush with five wild cards. This one was a little annoying, because one of the more consistent ways to add a wild card to your deck is to use Death on a card that's already wild and use The Fool to duplicate the tarot card you last used. So, long story short, Four of a Kind trumps Flush. :v:

When I was trying for this one (I did it with erratic deck on white stake) I was duplicating a bunch of wild cards with DNA and before I got 5 in hand I picked up a Midas Mask/Pareidolia combo and inadvertently wiped wild card off of a bunch of them like a dummy.

Really glad to get the gold sticker for Madness, that was the one that I might have been dreading the most because it's not like you can hide it and you need an eternal build around it.

Of the ones I don't have yet, there are twelve that I have zero stickers with on any level: Mad Joker, Clever Joker, Loyalty Card, Delayed Gratification, Egg, Vagabond, Reserved Parking, Ancient Joker, The Idol, Matador, Hit the Road, and The Order.

Vagabond I buy whenever I can early, I just haven't had the space to take him to the end. The others, ehhh

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Tarezax posted:

I've reset multiple runs because I forgot to put the cards in the proper order for the Death tarot card

This happened to me yesterday minus the reset. As soon as I get comfortable, I gently caress it up within like a day

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

So why is it that there's Hack for 2-5, Sixth Sense, 8 Ball, Cloud 9, Hit the Road, Shoot the Moon, Baron and Scholar, but there's no card that buffs a 7? A joker giving sevens free "super-lucky" status when scored (which can stack with actual lucky card) would be my vote.

Because 7 8 9

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

No Wave posted:

Idk why there's so much confusion when it comes to obelisk. For that challenge play pair until ante 6 then switch to high card+any two pairs or three of a kinds you luck into. Obelisk will be 4xing you by the end.

This is exactly what I did for my gold sticker Obelisk run, although I forget if it was ante 6 or ante 5 that I pivoted. Get a big lead on pairs, then play anything but a high card/pair > high card and you're set:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

was finally able to beat orange deck after trying for like a week - was lucky enough to get Madness in an early ante, then perm versions of Greedy, Gluttonous, and Erosion. was a really nice synergy to feed Erosion by selectively deleting spades & hearts with Hangman tarots, mass deleting batches of cards with the Immolate spectral, and whittle down the deck so I was always +multing on diamonds and clubs

during this run of trying to beat orange, I rolled so many god drat Sixth Sense jokers it became my most hated joker by far. is there any good strat for Sixth Sense or is mostly just a gently caress you with a consolation that you can get a few spectals out of it

If you’re strong enough to take it (especially in a high card build) generally one proc makes it worth it imo, but that’s a big conditional especially if you have to sell out of something to pick it up

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Eschatos posted:

Curious what the optimal take is for vouchers. It does seem like the double tarot/planet ones are actually bad in a long game, but will they just keep showing up in the shop potentially if I don't buy em?

Double tarot is great at higher stakes (in my iOS expensive packs version, idk about patched) and double planets are rear end

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

I actually really like Certificate just because it's a +1 to your hand size for the first hand, which I've found useful if playing for pairs/three of a kind. It's terrible if you're looking for hands that benefit from deck thinning, but it certainly has it's place (especially paired with the jokers that scale by you adding cards to your deck).

Spare Trousers/Negative Satellite/Lucky Cat/Certificate/Hologram/Baseball Card was one of the most fun runs I've had

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Papes posted:

No i usually don’t even play past ante 8 unless i luck into something interesting

Yeah, I'm going for gold stickers and usually scrap a run after clearing ante 8 unless it's got something really interesting going on.

E:

Current jokers I have no stickers on period: Mad Joker, Loyalty Card, Egg, Vagabond (the only one of these I like), Reserved Parking, Ancient Joker, The Idol, Matador, and Hit the Road.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Is there any sense of when the patch will be live for iOS and stuff? I’m at enough gold stickers that the update should legitimately be huge for collecting the rest

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Is attempting to downgrade the deck to two suits and aiming for flush/straights/full houses a viable tactic to get through the standard decks? All the scientific notation stuff looks rad but I figure I need to power through and unlock some more stuff if I'm just starting out.

By just starting out I mean I already beat the standard difficulty through to the green deck and have somehow lost fifteen hours in a week to this fucken game

I generally played flush builds when I was starting, but when you've got more xMult and higher chip cards available I've found it's a lot easier to make high card, pair, and two pair decks work. I always played flush builds with checkered decks, but otherwise unless you have like The Tribe I'd avoid it

Jordan7hm posted:

Balatro is on iOS?

I'm playing on Steam on a macbook, that's what I meant.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Well that was infuriating. I had 2/7 jokers that tanked me if the boss selected them on the first hand and three that tanked me if the boss selected them on the second through fourth, and it went 4/4.

To add insult to injury, I had to roll out of Verdant Leaf because Perkeo was the sticker I needed and Vagabond/Hack were both eternal, and then I got the negative Greedy joker that would have been an easy pass through it at the last shop.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Down to 14 gold stickers to get Completionist++:

- Pareidolia*
- Business Card*
- To Do List
- Midas Mask*
- Juggler
- Stone Joker*
- Ancient Joker
- Seltzer
- Glass Joker
- The Trio
- The Family
- The Tribe*
- Chicot
- Perkeo*

Starred ones I've taken to ante 8 on gold stake before, or in the case of Pareidolia I had to sell out of a negative copy because of The Mark on ante 5 of what would go on to be a successful run.

The Family might be my pick for worst gold stake joker pre-patch, I don't know if I've had a single run where I wanted to go for a four of a kind build

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Just a beautiful start to Jokerless

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I straight up annihilated Double or Nothing with a sick Erosion/Magic Card/Burnt Joker setup when I beat it

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I have never believed in any manner of supernatural boon as much as I have the power of complaining. I swear every time I play Ascension with my friend, once he starts moaning and groaning, the Red Sea parts for him and grants whatever card synergy he needs to whoop me.

In that case, I haven't found Chicot on a gold stake run since taking him killed my Joker Stencil build and I'm feeling pretty certain if the patch doesn't come to Mac soon I'm going to be grinding for his rear end for double digit hours before getting Completionist++

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Hitting a nasty wall at t minus 7 gold joker stickers to go (got in a run on my lunch break) - I had both reroll vouchers and was doing it aggressively and didn't see any of the craplords I still need the entire run (Midas Mask, Stone Joker, Ancient Joker, Glass Joker, The Tribe, Chicot, Perkeo)

Can't wait until the patch hits and that's not an issue. I wonder if you'll still need a stone/glass card in your deck to see them even if they're the only regular jokers you don't have gold stickers for

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

No Wave posted:

You've won gold stake 40 times WITHOUT hitting mask+vampire? Thats insane.

68 clears on gold! 15 of them had a vampire, and my very first one had two Vampires with an Invisible Joker.

I've gotten Midas Mask and Pareidolia without Vampire before in a run that really hurt because I couldn't find any mult. Midas Mask I've definitely played the most rounds with of those cards, it was just before I was working on the stickers and I'd sell out of it when I gave up on a Vampire and saw a different sizable upgrade.

Kuros posted:

Stone does need a stone card in your deck to show up and Glass needs a broken glass card to show up.

Oh, I didn't realize you had to have a broken glass card, I thought you just needed a glass card. That makes sense though

Ghost deck's been my workhorse, but I might switch over to Zodiac just to get early Glass/Stone cards for those two.

Checkered for The Tribe/Ancient Joker was a bust, I got The Tribe and it still made way more sense to play a high card build with the rest of what I had.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm keeping count of my soul spectral and I'm at 4 chicot and 1 Yorick which tbf could be worse BC perkeo seems almost as bad as chicot

Perkeo is absolutely busted, I've personally just seen him on one gold stake where I was griefed by Crimson Heart

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

So I guess you're just looking for a key tarot card? Duping planets seems ok but a bit weak unless you also had the upgraded telescope voucher? I dunno I'm still struggling with gold stake.

You can also get like a Death every round, or a Steel Card every round, or a Strength every round to get everything to Fibonacci numbers or something

Zodiac deck was the way to go for Stone Joker, what a squeaker after a sick square/green start

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Speaking of Fibonacci I'm curious why people rate it. I get pretty good value out of it early game especially if I'm trying to juice the bus or the joker that adds mult for number of times the hand has been played but when you talk about using a duped strength to get ranks to Fibonacci I don't really get it. Is this in a scenario where you've used the spectral that makes all the cards into one rank? Plus chips and a small amount of mult doesn't seem super strong even in a pair or two pair end game build to me.

Fibonacci to me is like low A high B tier. Okay, but you don’t want to commit to it unless poo poo lines up really good

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Man, Glass Joker and glass cards in general do not want to show up. Zodiac worked for Stone Joker, but I think I'm going back to ghost deck and trying to get early spectral packs for early enhanced cards/glass

MJeff posted:

Post-change Square Joker takes 18 procs to start being better than pre-change Square Joker. At 4 hands per blind, that's really not very long.

Runner takes 6 procs, which............pretty sure it's still garbage, I dunno.

The main problem is that almost every time I've picked up a Runner it's because I have zero chip cards for the base 20. New Runner I probably don't touch unless I have an early Short Cut.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Down to the final 5! Ancient Joker and The Tribe are such dead weight, I tried the Checkered Deck thing and didn't realize that Ancient Joker can roll suits you don't have. Even on the flush deck, I found myself trying to hide The Tribe in a Baseball Card comp

For the legendaries my thought is go Anaglyph and cash in on spectral tags, that's got to be the most bites at the apple

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

No Wave posted:

You've won gold stake 40 times WITHOUT hitting mask+vampire? Thats insane.

It took me almost double that, but I finally got it this morning. I eventually sold out of mask to sneak Ancient Joker in for the sticker, I'm down to just Glass Card, Chicot, and Perkeo now.

Chicot is the one I'm worried about, the other two I've had runs that hit the one boss that absolutely killed my build (no repeat hands with a Supernova/Card Sharp with Glass Joker, a Crimson Heart that hit the two things it had to hit 3/4 times with Perkeo) but I think my only gold stake Chicot run was one where I had to pick him up and he immediately killed my Joker Stencil build

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

This is exactly what I was scared of, getting Chicot with a weak build. Sly Joker's better than I gave it credit for, but a negative one being the best chip option this far in the run was brutal

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

MJeff posted:

Oh god, are you trying to do Completionist++? That's hard times, daddeh.

At 147/150! The last three are just being stinkers.

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't decide if I hate Painted Deck or Zodiac Deck more. On the one hand, you barely get to do anything with Painted Deck and jokers. On the other hand, you see a joker that can do anything at all with it, as opposed to a million pair planets

Zodiac deck with Constellation/Astronomer was more fun than anything I found with Painted Deck

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

Are people mostly playing on the beta patch? I just got my first gold stake win but it was still the -1 hand size instead of rental jokers that I see other people doing.

I also think the game's better at white stake, it seems like winning past purple stake is a pure rng fest but I hear the experimental is going to be better about it?

I just switched because I don't want to get a legendary joker I don't need, and I'd recommend doing all of the Ghost Deck unlocks before updating - all of the new lovely tags make it way harder to use the Hex effectively.

So far I've just done a few runs - Anaglyph feels way better (especially when you hit a negative tag) and Yellow feels slightly better since it's harder to get economy going.

I've been having a harder time on the new patch because it's so hard to find a non-lovely chip card. Blue Joker was good before, but it feels like with the nerfs to Square Joker/Banner and Stuntman being rarer it's like, A tier now.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Square joker with the one that lets you play flush and straight hands with just 4 seems like free chips

Four Fingers is generally dookie because that joker space could be xMult on a high card build instead

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Einwand posted:

Square joker is good because you can just play 3 garbage cards and high card or 2 & pair, and just use the excess cards as free discards.

I'm just making GBS threads on Four Fingers, Square Joker is good (although it took a big hit with the last nerf)

pumpinglemma posted:

The thing that makes it secretly good is that if you have a flush with four cards and a straight with four different cards then it counts as a five-card straight flush. It makes straight flushes consistently possible on non-checkered decks, which if you have telescope or (especially) blue chips is basically a combination of xmult and +chips considering how well they scale with planets.

I mean if you’re going for e numbers then anything except high card is bad but if you’re just trying to win I think 5-card builds are legitimately good now.

The issue's just consistency and a lack of a payoff unless you're doing planet stuff. Short Cut has led to a few fun Straight builds, but I've legitimately never had a gold stake run rely on straight flushes whatsoever.

My gold sticker with Four Fingers was a foil version going along for the ride on a good build, and my Seance one was a negative one that was just there to be sold if I got Verdant Leaf

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Checkered Deck might be the strongest in gold stake right now, getting the extra hand size back and blue seals being really strong have made flushes actually doable.

Going for that for now for the last three stickers, unfortunately the only one I saw today was a rental glass joker that I wasn't strong enough to take with Magic Deck (I still took it, I just died immediately)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Alright just gotta get a Chicot win on gold stake and then do Jokerless

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

drat, how many hours is that

I leave the game up when I'm not playing so it's not accurate but definitely too many.

I can tell you it's been 84 complete gold stake runs (75 base, 9 experimental) and I kept a big spreadsheet with the jokers on each clear so I can do a breakdown of how many times each was part of a successful run.

Of those 84 complete runs, 54 were Ghost, 9 were Anaglyph, 5 were Yellow, 3 were Checkered, 2 were Zodiac and Magic, and the other 9 were one and done.

I got at least one new sticker in 61 of the first 62 runs, and then it got tough to start finding things. Clears 76 through 82 added 0 stickers while just looking for Glass Joker, Chicot, and Perkeo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Checkered Deck might be the strongest in gold stake right now, getting the extra hand size back and blue seals being really strong have made flushes actually doable.

This is absolutely not the case, I just had two good back to back runs. Yellow is best now imo since getting your economy going is so much more important than pre-experimental update.

FPyat posted:

I still haven't figured out how people reduce their deck to one value and suit without Vagabond.

Also Perkeo is absolutely cracked for this, here's what my deck looked like on my clear with him (Odd Todd was my only chip source for a hot minute):

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 1, 2024