Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Darke GBF posted:

I can see why the dev wouldn't want to do that, but at the same time, I'm just going to reroll until I get a halfway decent set of tags at higher stakes anyway, so why torture me?
For the most part you'll do better on higher stakes if you play the first ante and get a peak at an extra set of jokers. I think a lot of people underrate the opportunity cost of missing a shop. You snag something pivotal like a green joker, supernova, or ride the bus and it can significantly boost your odds of winning a run, particularly on purple and above.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

black stake loving sucks!!!

Black stake is probably my favorite stake. Of all the difficulty increases not only is the general penalty of eternal jokers not too big of a deal, (you don't need 5 good jokers to beat most runs so it really isn't the end of the world if you settle on one that's a little weak to get through early antes), but it can actually enable strong builds.

For ex: I was working on purple stake ghost deck and rolled a madness early on so I polychromed it up and just took whatever eternal jokers were good enough. Madness won't destroy eternal jokers, but it still grows every round.

Sac dagger has somewhat similar synergy in that it can't destroy eternal jokers, it won't grow though.

I think black is my fav stake because the difficulty feels just right. I've gotten a couple orange clears and a gold clear and while I'm getting better at the high stake mechanics I feel like it's overall a bit too punishing and you're kind of forced to go for samey low variance builds. If I ever get around to clearing gold on all decks I imagine black is probably where I'll sit just for casual runs. Purple is pretty fun too but I wish the point hike came before the discard penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Speaking of wee joker discussion earlier:

786 flat chips on ante 8 is lol, card sharp was kind of a wasted slot cause I was just going 5 of a kind 2's by the end and it's not super reliable to play that twice in a row. Originally I was expecting to just double up on 3 of a kinds but I got so many planet x's it was like why not.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

overeager overeater posted:

With Flush at level 6, I could get ~200k point hands consistently, even without the Blackboard bonus. I also got lucky with the boss - after one hand I had the shuffling figured out, put the jokers back in the original order, and handily beat it. Unfortunately I didn't make it past ante 10, though :(

I think this might be the only deck I bother going past Black Stakes on, the Orange Stakes booster prices alone makes some strategies (and jokers) just not viable at all
I've done it on eratic and abandoned so far and have orange on ghost. I tthink ghost will be moderately easy, just slam like a polychrome green joker or something early. I just hit orange on yellow and that one feels p consistent too with the 10 starting money to already be collecting interest on. Looking at the options remaining I think in no particular order black, nebula, and red are the ones I look the least forward to trying on.

Ironically I cleared black white chip on my first try right after unlocking it but I think particularly once the ante ramps it's gonna be really tough to get off the ground.

Eratic seemed like the easiest climb of all the ones I've done, it basically has all the strengths of abandoned but doesn't struggle so hard at high stakes because the starting hands you can make on ante 1/2 are relatively weak and that costs you a lot of money.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Phenotype posted:

What does a high card deck look like? It feels like the only things I can really go for are flushes and four-of-a-kinds. I had a decent straight deck that got past rank 8, but it feels a lot harder to get a straight than a flush, and it feels really restrictive in that I don't want to turn every card into an ace or get extra cards that throw off the proportion of ranks. How does high card work, when even the scaling on it seems to be pretty crap.

It's just the wisdom of score with your jokers, not with your hand. My first gold stakes win was with pairs but the jokers here basically explain what you'd be doing with high card. Bull and Square are scaling in chips every round and don't care what I play. Bus and Nebula scale mult with number of hands played. In this case I was using The Duo so I was playing pair + junk every round but this would have worked just as well with say card sharp and just tossing down high card + garbage. You can see in this screenshot pair was level 1 and it was still scoring 80k chips with when the cards themselves couldn't even score.

I will note however that this can be a pretty boring way to play. It's pretty consistent on the highest stakes and the advice you'll generally get for "how do I beat this deck on that stake" but the strategy is really just picking up early scaling jokers and throwing lazy hands down for 20 rounds.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

That Dang Dad posted:

Currently banging my head against Orange Stake. I have Yellow (extra money), Checkered (Hearts/Spades only), and Blue (extra hand) leveled up to Orange and Plasma (chip/mult balances) is on its way.

I think I have maybe... 100 failed attempts at Orange? My closest was a nailbiter on Ante 8 where I got hosed by a boss blind.

What is your strategy for Orange/Gold stake runs? Obviously it's "Get your build running fast!" but I'm curious what your personal routine is. Like for me, I'm riding Checkered pretty hard and I reload until I get a $0 Shop Tag or Double Arcana Deck tags since that gets me jokers and cash fast and I can always reliably beat the Boss Blind on Ante 1 in two hands if not one.

After that though, I run a pretty sloppy shop. +10 Mult for a Flush? I have a flush deck, how can I lose! A chance for 2x for scoring with an ever-changing suit? Sure, it'll be Hearts and Spades eventually! I am not fishing for a particular build because I have such inconsistent luck even with a strong build. I mainly try to grow Flush hand values and I focus my Tarots on doubling money, getting jokers, and Death or Strength to manipulate card values. But I know I ignore a lot of possibilities.

I keep seeing you folks with decks full of Steel 8s or all Kings, no clue how you're managing that but it looks wild.
Check my post right above this one. It's not particularly flashy but if you get scaling mult (green joker, ride the bus, supernova) and reasonable chip gen (square joker, castle, banner, stuntman) early it's basically a free win. For this reason I usually don't skip, because seeing one extra shop after the first small blind is invaluable in getting a build started. From there you just play as many hands as you can per round and hope to eventually pick up some x mult like card sharp, black board, hologram. You might still end up eating poo poo to an awkwardly placed wall, or violet vessel, but overall it's a consistent approach that shouldn't take too many restarts to find something.

Other meme options is picking up an early madness and then slamming any eternals you get. I got a gold stake on erratic this weekend with shop 1 madness and it was a free ride.

The having 20 steal cards and mime with blueprint and brainstorm builds usually don't really come together on gold cause your economy is often in shambles due to a mixture of scaling pack prices, inability to consistently play big hands due to -hand size to reap leftover bonuses etc. It's not impossible but it is substantially harder to be consistently cracking tarot packs to shape your deck into something like that. If your goal is to go for e point hands in endless mode it's better to play on lower stakes so you have more time and resources to shape your deck.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 2, 2024

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Relyssa posted:

For purple and up I hold R until I get foil or holo tag just to guarantee something generically usable in a shop. I'll consider the $15 after boss blind tag but only if I'm getting sick of tag shopping. I don't buy the advice to always play out the first small blind because unless you're playing a deck that can guarantee one-shotting it you don't get enough cash for it to be worth it. Way too often that first shop is either full of duds or has one usable but too expensive joker. No thank you.

P much all the jokers that can clinch a run early are common or uncommon so you should be able to afford them even if you have to play 2 hands on the small blind. Getting good jokers early is invaluable at higher tiers so the "free" reroll of just seeing a shop is huge to give up.

It's also entirely possible to eat dirt on the boss or even the big blind with -1 hand size and -1 discard, I think people who are already restarting a lot underestimate how often a single/double skip just results in them not clearing ante 1 because they're hitting restart anyways.

This guy is incredibly good at the game and he can summarize it better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4YAHDuRUcQ, don't need to watch the whole vid he starts it with a short discussion of using skips in general.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

That Dang Dad posted:

Unfortunately, I bought a glitched version of the game that NEVER GIVES ME SMEARED ON A CHECKERED DECK WHEN I WANT IT raaaaaaahhh!!

wait why would you want smeared on a checkered deck, it basically starts smeared.

e: I guess double dipping on spade/club or heart/diamond based jokers but that still doesn't really seem worth the joker slot.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 3, 2024

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Sockser posted:

Maybe I’m naive in thinking this, but glass should primarily be used for removing cards from your deck, not boosting scores
It's both really, but 3 bucks to remove one card after you've played it 3 times is pretty mediocre.

Keeping a judgement in hand can be a notable boost to get barely over a tough boss blind too.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Deathslinger posted:

I think I’ve found an exploit, in the PS4 version at least.

If you open a card pack in the store - let’s say an Arcana pack for example - once you pick a card from that pack, before the card-selection animation has finished, press the Options button and cut back to the main menu, and then choose to continue your game. It will bring you back to the “pick a card from this pack” selection screen, and allow you to potentially pick a different card.

What does this mean in practice? If you, for instance, buy an Arcana pack, choose a Wheel of Fortune card and get Noped, you can use this exploit (before the Nope! animation has ended) to revisit that Arcana pack and choose a different tarot card.

I’ve only tried this on PS4 but it has a 100% success rate. Has anyone else on any other platform encountered this exploit?
I believe the wheels are part of the generated seed RNG so if you undo getting one with an exploit like this it’ll just nope the next one instead, so at that rate you might as well never get wheel and don’t need to use such an exploit in the first place.

Which to be fair, I seldom take the wheel unless the rest of the pack is useless (bunch of suit conversions to a suit I’m not looking for probably easiest example), or unless it shows up in the shop and I’m so rich it doesn’t matter.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Gangringo posted:

Anaglyph is the deck I've taken the furthest. I'm kind of burned out on trying to beat orange stake. Is there any consensus on the best deck to play at high stakes?

It's amazing how easy the game feels now going back to white stake to try to unlock some of the more esoteric jokers.
I dunno if there's a consensus per se but orange and gold only took me like 2-3 tries each on eratic because it's super common to roll a couple clusters of 6-8 cards and just build a straight forward 3+ of a kind (or full house) deck even with the limited handsize of gold. Of course you have to beat an orange first to get there.

My first gold clear was on abandoned because that's a very common recommendation in the "deck tier list" sort of discussion, but tbh I feel like the strengths of abandoned (starting with less cards so it's easier to go for specialty hands) mostly falls apart on orange because it gets too expensive to consistently chase tarot cards/planet packs to play powerful high scoring hands, and completely falls apart on gold when you have reduced handsize. You can get there with a strong run, but I ultimately ended up resorting to a scaling pair build which is just joker dependent and would legit work on any deck so it felt like the strength of abandoned was pointless.

I'd say ghost is probably the easiest of the quicker to unlock decks to take to take to gold because if you hit even one scaling chip or mult joker early on (madness, green, supernova, ride the bus, square, castle, etc) you just polychrome it and you're off to the races with a high card or pair build. I just beat gold on it today and I got an early supernova, then mid ante 2 cracked a spectral pack with an ankh and the run was a free win at that point. Being able to pick up spectral cards to hold onto and play when you need also makes the deck surprisingly consistent, like you get an immolate in the shop and rather than staring at a 60% chance you burn cards you want to keep you just wait until you get an unlucky draw, thin your deck and get 20 gold at the same time. Similarly stuff that dupes cards, or makes cards makes them in your hand so you can use them to scrape past a tough blind early by slamming a 4 of a kind or something when your deck normally wouldn't support it.

e: I've heard good things about yellow deck too and I agree the climb to orange stake was p easy but I haven't tried it yet so I can't really comment.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 3, 2024

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Got my first E hand, haven't really been shooting for them but I was just climbing on blue deck for my next gold and stumbled across a midgame polychrome 2 and hack so I shot for it. Couple jokers could have taken it to the next level (ended up with 6 slots due to voucher). And I legit never saw a glass tarot for the rest of the game but can't complain.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

lol even just a screenshot looks crazy

lmao

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

quiggy posted:

I finally unlocked erratic and oh no my probability heuristics

I've said it before but I'll say it again, if anyone was having a problem with the high stakes erratic is gonna be your breath of fresh air. Orange and gold aren't really as hard as people make them out to be, but the solution to their puzzle is just really boring. You don't have the resources to tune your deck or the handsize to go for fun hands so just play out ante 1/2 till you hit reasonable scaling mult/chip jokers and slam simple hands and cruise. Erratic starts with a pretuned deck and you can play gimmicky nonsense even on gold stake, it's so fun and can end up utilizing jokers that are basically never worth taking.

On my climb I had a black stakes run where I hit an early constellation and took an eternal 8 ball, with a deck that was stuffed full of 8's from erratic. I ended up hitting about x8 mult on constellation and scoring million point hands on ante 8 for an easy win. I think 8 ball is arguably one of the worst jokers in the entire game but erratic made it viable and that's what makes the deck so fun.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Eschatos posted:

Alright teach me the secret to getting past ante 12. So far 300 mil has been impossible for even my best deck, though I've managed a 65 mil hand once. What do I need to be doing besides stacking as much xmult as I can get.

It's possible to do it by stacking xmult, you can have a really high leveled up hand like flush 5 and well scaled xmult jokers like constellation, steel joker, holo joker, or campfire with something that dupes it like brainstorm or bluepriunt among some more bland x3/x4 options, the more polychromes the merrier. I broke through ante 12 with a billion point hand this way when I first started playing. Throw in a couple glass cards on the boss and you'll get there.

The "easier" way to do it is with retriggers that provide mult. So duping a bunch of steel kings with mime and/or baron. Or forcing your entire deck to be one card via tarot manipulation and using the idol + hack or sock n busin. Even steel queens + mime and shoot the moon will get you there, though it won't scale as high as the previous two.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Eschatos posted:

Thought I was onto it with this run, but choked at ~10 mil. Not sure how I hosed up. Am I supposed to just go high-card for steel synergy? And yeah baron would have been better than the queen mult one but that still seemed solid.

Yeah at that point you should have just been playing highcard. It'd probably be nice if one of your jokers was for chips though.

The two negative jokers were essentially worthless, score came from mime/shoot the moon for mult, wee joker was around +1k chips (I had started the run by going mostly 2 five of a kinds), and then blackboard and steel joker was another x12 or so at the end. For reference solo queen was around 1.5 billion points so even without the black board and steel it'd be ~100 mill and strong enough to clear ante 12.

Queens is not the best approach for this though, baron is much stronger I just happened to have an erattic deck with a lot of queens and 2's and hit polychrome shoot somewhere in the run. As you can see it crashed immediately on ante 13, but if beating 12 is your only goal it's not a terrible option.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 6, 2024

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

pumpinglemma posted:

I finally got the 5-card hand unlock after specifically farming for it on white stake/ghost deck and getting a run going with a seance. And yes, that did mean having to build around repeated straight flushes with a reduced hand size. Bonus points for having to end it with ectoplasm instead of stuntman so I could only get the unlock by permanently dropping my hand size to 5 and killing the run, followed up by the manacle boss for one extra "gently caress you". That unlock can eat my entire rear end.

I got that unlock entirely by accident lol. It was a high stake run where I had a stuntman and I was like "well I don't really care about handsize anyways so no reason not to buy ecto".

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

SirFozzie posted:

Update will have a change to Mad Joker (triggers off two pair instead of four of a kind), and gold stake/legendary seeds.

https://www.reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1bxyafj/new_balance_patch_leaks_from_localthunk_for_101/

Perhaps the worlds smallest gripe but considering "contains a pair or 3 of a kind" jokers trigger off bigger hands like full house or four of a kind I think pants (and now these jokers) should trigger off 4 or 5 of a kind because there are litterally two pairs in the hands.

Joke grievances aside I'm mostly interested in what the future plans for orange/gold stake are, according to a couple high level players that seem to regularly talk with local thunk p much everyone agrees orange+ stake sucks the fun out of the game and pigeonholes you into simple hand scaling builds. It sounds like there are plans to change this but I'm curious what they'd look like.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 7, 2024

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

pumpinglemma posted:

Might be square joker? It’s trash when you get it, but if you spend the entire game crippling your economy to level it up with two pairs, it will remain trash because four chips per hand is nothing. Might also be red card, which is a $5 joker that does absolutely nothing unless you’re willing to throw a vast amount of money down the toilet. Golden ticket, lucky cat and the assorted stone jokers all seem super-niche as well.

Like, at least with matador there are rare situations where you can see at the moment it’s in the store that holding onto it until the boss is going to be worth $20 or so, and in those situations I would buy it if I had a slot free. I’m trying to think of a situation where I’d ever buy square card or red card and outside of immediately destroying them with campfire or ceremonial dagger I can’t.

Square joker is one of the best high stakes jokers there is. If you start a run and get an early mult scaling joker and square joker it's p much a run winner and one of the more consistent ways to clear orange/gold stake.

Red card can also be decently strong but orange stake does do a number on it. The main thing is it's hypothetically getting 6x mult a round which you're not typically going to be doing on stuff like ride the bus/green/supernova unless you have additional support like robber so if you happen to already have a reasonable set of jokers it can be worth burning all your money to scale it. I think I have an orange stake win on it.

Rosalie_A posted:

Showman. Every other joker is, at worst, neutral (well, okay, besides Madness but Madness is good). Showman makes your tarot and celestial packs worse just for the outside shot at a second copy of a really good joker. Unless there's something I'm missing, of course, but Showman is the only joker that even if it was free and Negative I would probably not take it.

Showman is p much there to enable broken builds, being able to buy 2 or 3x of a good joker is important for the runs that go super deep into endless scoring bajillion point hands. But I agree in normal play it doesn't feel good to pick it up.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

MJeff posted:

Lot of decent changes, particularly to the Stakes. I like buffing the tags too, makes early skips a lot more of a competitive option. Glad there was some common sense adjustments like Swashbuckler and Blue Seal too. Adding the value of Bootstraps to the Joker so I don't gotta just guess it is appreciated, thanks. :lol: Like the buff to Saturn. Not banning Crimson Heart on Golden Needle makes me big mad.

Nerfing the Sinful Jokers seems absolutely insane to me. They were already very mid Jokers and now they're even worse.
No idea why Banner is getting nerfed. That also seems extremely unnecessary.
The Midas-Vampire combo got loving slapped hard. Wow. That is a lot less strong now.
Yorick rework is interesting. Every 23 cards instead of every 23 discards, which some decks can do in a single round, but, it's only adding x1 instead of getting x5 all at once. So Yorick will kick in sooner, but be weaker, but be able to scale past its old self eventually. As somebody who was frustrated by constantly getting Yorick too late to get his effect active, I don't think this fixes that problem, but I think it makes Yorick a more interesting Joker overall, so, net positive, probably.
Gros Michel.....that kinda makes it worse? Because when you pick up Gros Michel, you pick it up wanting it to get destroyed, right? So I guess this is a buff to Gros Michel, but it's kind of a very subtle nerf to Cavendish.
Don't really get the nerfs to Steel Joker and Campfire at all. Those were pretty fair as is.
Making Burnt Joker a rare is preeeeeeeeeetty hosed up. Burnt Joker is already pretty hard to use, making it harder to find and taking away Trading Card synergy from it is kinda hosed up.

For the joker nerfs my guess is with the nerf to score requirements they tried to balance by making some of the early scoring jokers weaker alongside so it makes everything feel more consistent. My first thought when I saw those chip reductions were that things were going to be too easy but I think some of the nerfs balance it out.

Not sure if I agree with them (I think you got a lot of good points) but it's hard to tell until I feel it out in practice. It seems kind of odd they didn't touch the scaling jokers though cause with the chip reduction requirements and a lot of stuff getting sort of nerfed around them it's just gonna make already strong picks like green joker stronger.

e: of course I play this on switch so I won't see any of these changes for an eternity, sigh.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Arzaac posted:

oh holy poo poo I wasn't expecting the buffs to tags but they're super welcome. skipping is frequently a bad idea so I don't mind the buff to it
I think it really highlights how weak skips were, a lot of people swore by them but that the dev who has access to game stats and who talks a lot with the community of really good players looked at them and just gave them sizeable buffs across the board ($25 bucks over 15 when that was a popular one is probably one of the peak examples) tells you that they were in a rough spot.

It just never seems obvious because if you're restarting a bunch you're probably gonna tune out all the times skipping aggressively killed your run in the cradle.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

I think something people forget about the sinful jokers is it wasn’t just 20 mult on a flush is was mult applied during hand scoring phase which is the strongest kind of flat mult. Even if you were playing a not flush hand that had 2 or so of suit in there with a glass/polychrome in hand and/or steels backing them up they were far better than most of the scoring but non scaling common jokers.

Though that they buffed smiley face at the same time is kind of a head scratcher, if anything I’d say it’s a bigger offender.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 8, 2024

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

new changes definitely make gold stake easier and more fun. after banging my head against gold for days i beat it second try with the new buffs.

feel
You’ve been robbed of a real win. All that effort lost like tears in the rain.

Not really though gold stake wasn’t really that hard it just narrowed the pool of possible strategies if you wanted to beat it consistently.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Nooooo half the point of high stakes is to teach people to stop playing flush builds we can’t let them keep getting away with it

Congrats tho first orange and gold are very satisfying even if incredibly frustrating

Quantum of Phallus posted:

We need this patch on switch asap

I really want to try the new blue seal in particular. I had a small fondness for them and 8 ball despite being total garbage so I'm glad to see it get buffed. TBH I sort of wish 8 ball worked the same way rather than tarrot generation, if it had 2+ 8's give you a planet card (like old 8 ball) but of the hand played (or perhaps of most played hand/highest level planet). Tarrot generation is really cool don't get me wrong there's just a lot of stuff that already does it, not much planetary interaction.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 9, 2024

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

apophenium posted:

Lmao I burned myself out trying gold stake over and over, took some time off, came back to it today and got it on my first try. Didn't get a photo but I was playing checkered deck and got green joker on the first shop. Rode that for a bit, scaling it and saving up money. Got blue joker to help me through a bit more. Then I got an eternal vagabond and the tarot mult scaling joker. Made enough money to reroll a bit and bam, holographic stunt man! That was feeling pretty good but I desperately needed a mult multiplier. And then... God bless you campfire, right on ante 8 small blind. With vagabond I was able to scale it up to x5 before the boss, which went down to a single high card.

I think I'm gonna steer clear of gold stake until the patch. But that felt pretty good. And very lucky.

The specific stuff you got that run is a bit lucky, but you don't really need it. If you got green joker early on and blue joker you have a lot of breathing room to find what you need to clear the run and those are both common. Holo stuntman is nice but it's just fine without holo and it's only uncommon. Campfire cleared it but even gold ante 8 is doable without xmult, you can use some psuedo xmult like something duping your green.

Orange/gold stake (or really any difficulty) is solved entirely by just going a high card/pair build that has some combo of early gaming scaling green/ride the bus/supernova/pants/square with whatever works and it'll happen within half a dozen runs or so. You get burnt by trying to go for harder hands because the penalties to deck manipulation (orange) and handsize (gold) are too stringent without a p exceptionally lucky run (or using erratic deck). That you were on checkered deck sort of indicates you were going for the beginner trap of flushes which will certainly be hard to win with on high stakes but it really isn't difficult at all to just play ante's 1/2 until you hit two common jokers and get a free win. Don't skip, don't try to be flashy, look for early scaling alongside some consistent flat scoring and transition into whatever gives you more points later while still playing simple hands and you'll win.

It's exceptionally boring and I'm glad the dev is changing it but it's not a particularly hard problem to solve either. I think the main issue from a design perspective was that the early game conditioned people to go for certain things and ripped it away later. It really is that dead simple though, I was grinding up the yellow deck last weekend and here was my orange stake run. No foil, no polychrome, no rares, there is one negative but it was from a spectral pack because handsize was irrelevant. I played highcard and did nothing for 8 antes.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Eschatos posted:

Wondering if I also should have blueprinted mimic instead of baron, not sure how order of operations works out with that kind of thing.

You had it right, basically you want to balance the retriggers and the buffs you get from them. Blueprint baron + steel means 1.5x 3 times per trigger and red chip, mime, and the base trigger mean each of those cards triggers 3 times giving you 9 of the 1.5 x per king.

If you moved blueprint to Mime they’d trigger 4 times total but with only two 1.5x per trigger so you’d end up with 8 of the 1.5x per king.

If you hypothetically had another blueprint (or brainstorm or whatever) it wouldn’t matter which you put the new one on cause it’d be 4 and 3 or 3 and 4, and if you had two more you’d want one on each to get 4 and 4.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

I feel like the effect should be “cards don’t score unless you play 5 cards” rather than hand. There’s a p common precedent for that with other disabling jokers, outside of the eye/mouth, and I think it would just be more fun. It’s not a particular difficult boss, honestly I’m usually happy to see it, but that it’s existence means I can’t ecto below a 5 card hand unless I have the reroll voucher is kind of an unnecessary buzzkill.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Zamujasa posted:

doesn't the "no repeat hand types" boss work the same way? the hand just doesn't get scored at all in that case either
That’s why I said outside the eye/mouth. The thing with those tho, is there are ways to play around them even when they’re active. Whereas if you walk into the psychic with a 4 or less card hand it’s simply over.

The psychic is still far and away easier. I’d say the eye is probably one of the more challenging boss blinds in the game, and the mouth notoriously gets people not paying attention by locking them into high card when they’re trying to trigger a dna or use a played hand as a means of discard.

I just think think it existing almost entirely to cockblock a very niche and not that good strategy ( even high card builds usually want a large hand size for steel etc, so it’s not really a great idea to shoot for a minimal hand size) isn’t really necessary or fun and lining it up with the face/suit disablers (you can still play the debuffed cards for scoring your hand type/jokers) would be an easy change that kept the feel of the boss while letting people play more around it if they felt like it.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Darke GBF posted:

Is it actually noticeably weaker? My issue with it the one time I had a pre-nerf Midas/Vampire run was that you would one shot every single blind up to a point, which meant you couldn't scale Vampire more than 5 times per blind anyway.

tbh I don't even really get the point of nerfing something like that. Vampire/midas is a double uncommon combo and it does what, win an ante 8 run for you? There are double common combos that do that. It's not strong enough to carry high point scores because retriggers and x-mult are king there. It's not a pvp game so I don't really get the "it's too strong" argument, if you think it's boring just don't play it kind of bingo bongo reductionism I get it but like I've seen vampire plenty of times and generally don't grab it because I'm not interested in it.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

No Wave posted:

I really dont think there are double common combos that autowin gold stake for you the way vampmask did, and if there are, TELL ME!!!

Aside from that vampire was just generally overtuned at .2 he could carry most runs very easily. The played->scored nerf is fine too cause high card is imo too strong compared to other strats.
Square and ride the bus/green joker/supernova. Or alternatively two of the latter. I mean you're right on a semantic level it doesn't guarantee a win and you'll still need some later form of joker support but if you get two of those early the run is basically a freebie.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

the holy poopacy posted:

If you get square up to 240 chips and one of the common scalers up to 60 mult then you're looking at a score of ~20k on a midrange 5 card hand. It's a great start and your odds look good but you still have a decent ways to go.

EDIT: like, throw in a Cavendish and a couple middling jokers and you will probably beat most ante 8 bosses, but it's certainly possible to do worse than that, and also Violet Vessel exists
Violet vessel can stuff high card runs it's true but I don't think I've lost any high stake run with two of those scalars within the first two ante's to any of the other bosses. You'll find something to pull it together and the lack of needing to throw early resources from an early struggle means your economy gets online earlier (and/or becomes really strong as you can afford to hold a gold generating joker for a v long time) so you'll have more shots to look for things to complete a build. I recall balatro university at some point showing his most used jokers by won runs and it was far and away those guys.

My point wasn't that midas/vampire wasn't stronger it's just that there's already fairly simple solutions to high stakes runs at even lower rarities. I don't have an issue with nerfing it, as I said I seldom took vampire to begin with because I think modified cards are substantially more interesting, I just wouldn't have seen a pressing need to nerf it either. Stuff like the sinful jokers makes more sense to nerf to me because I think the dev is trying to guide players away from traps like learning to be overly reliant on flushes, but some of the other stuff like vampire, vagabond, campfire, etc, seems a bit more questionable because even if we all agree they were too strong it's not really hurting anyone (and plenty of people were still struggling for successful high stakes playthroughs so maybe having some busted stuff that's easy to build around and can give people a freebie isn't a bad thing).

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think I've ever taken green joker. It always shows up way too late and even early, I discard so much that it's just never anything for me

If you get it early you never have to discard, because it'll scale fast enough the flat +mult means even playing weak hands like pairs/highcard will have enough mult to continuously blow through blinds. If your hand doesn't score enough to beat the blind, it means you play another hand and it therefor gets stronger. Combine it with something that gives simple chips like banner, blue joker, square joker, etc, (stuntman being the one everyone references but it's by no means necessary) and you can just keep playing trash every round and cruise through many ante's even on purple+ stake. You can intentionally play weak hands to use as pseudo discards to both grow the joker and search for whatever else it is you want to play if you want too.

The drawback of this is each hand you play is essentially 1 lost dollar but because you won't have to invest in as many jokers early (or can afford to keep a gold generating joker around) you'll probably be racking up interest faster than most alternatives at higher stakes.

It's not particularly interesting but it is more or less the easiest way to do high stake runs pre-new patch. With the new patch I don't think this approach will be as necessary/common because with changes to gold/orange stake you can go back to playing more difficult hands regularly and buying packs to hone your deck towards that end which is both more fun and less susceptible to large blind bosses.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Had some fun runs today on anaglyph deck, I just started playing it so only on green stake but it's been a p easy streak. I kind of assumed I would be going for the negative tag for something meme-y but instead I've had a ton of success with popping it around ante 6 for mega celestial with telescope and constellation and on mega tarot packs for some crazy deck manipulation. Last run was an easy clear with having a deck that was almost entirely king of clubs by ante 8.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Ugh I finally had a good start on the black deck that is kicking my rear end and somehow I fell over on the fourth ante

It's largely considered one of the hardest decks to play, not necessarily the worst cause an extra slot is p good but - hand size is such a rough debuff that they even took it out of the gold stake penalty.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Chadzok posted:

Just listened to the latest Eggplant podcast with Localthunk - a greeat listen but..

IF YOU'RE HOLDING A TAROT CARD THAT MEANS IT WONT APPEAR IN PACKS?? (unless you got that dupe joker)
80 hours and only just now learning this

Also won't appear in the shop. So if you have a lot of money or like the price reduction vouchers it can be a reasonable/good investment to buy lovely tarot cards while rolling or cracking packs to increase the likelyhood of one you want to see showing up.

Color Printer posted:

Okay, I was wondering about this because the fallback for tarot cards changed from Fool to Strength in the beta patch, and it's listed in the notes. But I was like, "when would that ever happen?" I suspected this had to be the case and sounds like I was right

I'm trying to think of a situation where that'd even come up. I guess if you had a perkeo and just rotated through held cards to get negatives of a bunch of the tarot (or planet) cards then cracked a mega pack but like that's something that would only come up if you were actively trying to do it and serves no function lol.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Eschatos posted:

So what's the strat with anaglyph besides double negatives? Doin pretty well but feel like just waiting for those might be suboptimal.
I posted this a bit ago but I've had p good luck on anaglyph deck just cracking the mega packs with several tags. If you wait till mid/late game (which admittedly means you're basically playing with no deck advantages during arguably the hardest part of the game, so bit of a mixed bag there) you'll probably have something that'll combo well with cracking a bunch of mega celestials or mega tarots. I did the former once with telescope and constellation joker, and the latter I've done a couple times just to make a really thinned out consistent deck of kings or w/e to play flush 5's or combo with steel/mime retriggers.

I think if you roll an orbital with a hand you're playing (or could start playing) would b p strong too, immediately jumping to 15+ in even something like 3 of a kind would probably be a free win. I could also see doing the mega standard with a holo joker too it'd just be an instant x2-3 mult bonus

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Relyssa posted:

I only ever take green joker if I'm positive I won't need to discard. It hardly ever gets to scale for me because I need those discards. If I have Burglar though, all bets are off. DNA is incredible though, and you'd be a fool to drop it down.

The trick to green joker is when you're stacking it you don't need discards because it makes playing simple hands very strong. You do have to get it early though.

I thought DNA was busted when I first started playing but I've gotten a lot more lukewarm on it now. I've found really if you have good tarot engine capacity it tends to be easier to stack your deck with all of the same card that way because stuff like death is essentially -1 card I don't want +1 card I do so you end up with a smaller decksize quicker and can guarantee you get a hand full of the same thing easier.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 13, 2024

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

orange deck is so brutal. been seeing a lot of people talk about how it's when the game became not fun for them and I totally get it. the patch is making it better but part of me wants to beat it before it's patched as a badge of honor. think I'm up to about 6-7 hours of total play time just on orange

best run so far was ante 8 with an almost all diamond deck, the straight gap joker, card sharp, and some perma common ones that were good for some +mult but it crapped out at about 200k

was able to do a lot of straight flushes but still ran out of steam, so frustrating

The issue with pre-patch orange is packs getting too expensive makes it very difficult to tune your deck with tarot cards, it's still possible to go for complicated builds like straight flushes (I recall one of my orange stakes wins I had the joker that gives you 1.5x mult per uncommon alongside 4 fingers and the straight skipper, so it was v easy to play straight flushes), but it's difficult to pull off consistently you basically have to hit a rare combo of jokers. If you're looking to do it before the patch the best bet is a much more boring approach of grabbing early scaling jokers (green/supernova/ride the bus) with some reasonable chip jokers (square/banner/blue/castle/stuntman/literally any foil card) and then try to fill in the gaps with whatever reasonable followup options (income gen, easy xmult like blackboard, ramen, sharp, acrobat). It's boring but it's p consistent, usually you'll hit something that can get off the ground every couple of runs and if you get enough pieces it turns into a win. An important thing here is to pick up the reroll voucher if possible as a late ante eye/wall can kill you, as can the violet vessel, but you have a reasonable chance of that not happening regardless and it's not impossible to get enough scaling options to get over them.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Color Printer posted:

I would have gotten Stuntman on my ton-of-Kings erratic deck win yesterday if that loving Soul card gave me Triboulet and not Canio :shepicide:

Hey if you have a ton of kings then canio turns hanged man into 2x mult!

I wish canio worked with strengths/deaths too I feel like that's always my main trouble when using him. Essentially he only works with 1 of the tarot cards, maybe glass works so I guess judgement might be good too. I know there's other methods like trading card to trigger but it does often feel p niche.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Dang y'all rock. I'm currently trying to hit the 100M hand unlock, and it's a beast. It seems hard to hit the right mix of requirements: red seal, steel, death, DNA, Baron, mime...I know it's RNG, but even with the Wisdom, execution is lacking.

You really don't need all that, that stuff is mostly for E point hands off a lucky (or very well played) run. I stumbled into the 100 million unlock in my 6th or 7th game playing. It was my first run on the ghost deck and I started with the walkie talkie, polychromed it, and just built my deck around playing 5 of a kind fours. This is not a particularly strong strategy and I didn't really know the power of retriggers and such at that point I just had a high leveled planet X, a well scaled constellation getting blueprinted as well as some other random xmult jokers and that still hit 1 billion.

The red seal steal baron mime stuff is for going to ridiculously high numbers but it's by no means necessary for any of the standard unlocks.

Aipsh posted:

I think generally the Balatro learning curve focus goes
planet cards,
+ mult,
X mult,
chips are useful actually,
all flushes,
planet card high card build,
broken red seal tarot insanity

I think it should be "not all flushes", early on you clear ante 1/2 fairly easily with flushes and a lot of beginners to the game get tricked into tunneling in on it when it's not really that good of a strategy at higher stakes (particularly the original orange/gold). "Help I'm stuck on orange/gold stake, I've been playing checkered deck...." was probably one of the most common posts about balatro on reddit after launch lol. It's the original noob trap.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Zamujasa posted:

i confirmed it myself before i posted it, creating a new profile doesn't show you the tutorial, it just drops you into a new game like normal.

Does the tutorial even really show you anything? Admittedly I think I saw a streamer play the game once before I picked it up but the mechanics are fairly self explanatory. IIRC it forces you to play specific hands during ante 1, makes you buy the basic joker first shop, and then fucks off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

MJeff posted:

Mime retriggers Baron, right?

affirmative. As well as all other hand trigger jokers like shoot the moon or free parking, though to substantially less relevant effect.