Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Game is like crack. Although on PS5 my save got corrupted yesterday, so I lost something like two losing and a winning run, somehow and took a big hit on unlocks. Oh well! Luckily it’s so easy to JUST KEEP POSTING POKERING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I think I’ve lost 3 or 4 runs now solely on the basis of picking a flush or straight and hitting triangle instead of square

:Edit: discard should require a combo button press like Triangle + R1 for idiots like me

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

FPyat posted:

I feel that the legendary jokers are cursed. Guaranteed loss, taking them.

I dunno I found my first one (x5 mult when you’ve discarded 23 times) just now and on a two pair deck I absolutely demolished the whole run. 600k coins on the first turn of the last boss lol

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Am I right in that there is no real way to modify the deck with standard cards (non holo/etc) to benefit a strategy focused on straights? Like for flushes you can change suits, remove/add cards, etc. I had a run where I got a good lineup of straight based jokers and couldn't really see a reason to buy standard packs or tarots.

I guess if you could reduce your deck to just 5 cards, that would be something.

I guess rather than limiting it all the way to 5 you could try to remove 3 of each numbered card? Would also be extremely difficult

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

is it ba-LA-tro or BAL-a-tro

According to my google searches when I first saw the game mentioned it's Balotoro, or Blatora

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

What am i loving up here. I have shortcut that generates straights with gaps of one. But it won't register a straight here? I need 5 in the straight I guess?

You'd need five cards in this case, or the joker that allows you to do a flush or straight with 4.

I've beaten it now with the abandoned and ghost deck - ghost deck in particular is great fun. For some reason I cannot get anything going with the first red deck, and the black deck may as well be a lose instantly button

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

What's awesome about that joker which took me a minute to realize is you can have more than one gap.

Ie 2 4 6 8 10 is a straight

wait what

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Good god the grind to even completing the white stake of the black deck is miserable

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Can u make my black deck do that

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Tbh I was surprised the game wasn’t 18+ as I assumed ratings boards would have already just said “oh poker means gambling”

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

So for PS5 goons just to reiterate to people

You can use the right stick as a mouse cursor
When you’ve selected a card you can use the left stick as the mouse cursor

Also
You can and should arrange the order of cards that are being counted

You can rearrange the cards in your hand (as in if you have bonus or steel cards that proc while not played the order they appear in your hand is important too)

You can rearrange the order of jokers

(You can in some cases if you’re fast enough rearrange the jokers while the cards are being counted, though I haven’t found a good use case for this)

You can use tarot cards to peek face down cards when they activate

You can sort hand rank and suit to attempt to divine what face down cards are too

Post sponsored by the “I can’t beat the black deck” gang

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Love when the ante 8 boss is that one disables jokers. Went for 40k a play to like 3k

BALATRO :kingsley::kingsley:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm not sure I entirely understand skipping because it seems dumb and why would I ever do it

I guess it might be good if I don't need to build up a joker effect and there's no reward on the blind due to the level of stakes?

Your first skip is $5 per skip, the second skip is initial booster packs and cards are free. So you skip the 1st small and big blind, and then when you beat the boss blind you've got like $20 and everything in that shop is free.

Is what would happen if you weren't annihilated by the boss blind after getting a low flush and a two pair.

But also on a serious note, the boss blind is sometimes bigger than the small blind that comes after it, so you know your cards are already strong enough to beat the small blind so you may as well skip for the tag anyway.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Bought this on mac and has ruined my life again, but it was nice to steamroll the first game after the tutorial

Pro-tip, if you are getting this on mac you need upgrade to Sonoma

Expert pro-tip, if you're using an external monitor upgrading to Sonoma will absolutely gently caress up all the colour and resolution settings and it'll be difficult if not (in most cases)impossible to get back to normal, and this hasn't been fixed lol

Master pro-tip, don't get a Mac

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

just had a black deck run die on me in the last round of ante 8 because my CAVENDISH DIED

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Absolutely amazing, completely brain dead run with these jokers

Abstract Joker for some initial mult, two pair for more, then blueprint next to the hologram joker. Started out doing two pairs really easily by adding copies whenever I saw a card pack, then when the burnt joker came along I just rocketed high card to the moon

Got me to ante 11 but I just missed the boss by a few thousand points

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Playing on my M1 Max MBP with an external monitor through dock and absolutely didn’t have this experience. Worked flawlessly.

The product blurb says the M1 Max MBP is designed for Pros which my 10 year old piece of poo poo is definitely not designed for

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

On a vaguely related note I’d never even hear of Northernlion before Balatro came out and then the day it’s released he’s featured several times on my YouTube Home Screen (as in I log in and it’s saying look at these six videos of his). It’s good tho, guy just has a pure talent for straight up talking

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Balatro has the Mei seal of approval.

Where did you get my cat from

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

People talking about characters and lore but I do wish the game had a bit more personality. I forgot jimbo existed after the tutorial. It’d be nice if the boss blinds had some jimbo-esque different douchebags slagging you off with each hand

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Done my fifth run on the anaglyph deck up to ante 10 waiting for a tag to double your money tag to get the $400 achievement and it STILL hasn't turned up! I got bored on one and gave myself like 7 negative jokers tho, and immediately lost

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Game managed to turbo gently caress my PS5 in a way no other game has before - just froze after playing a hand, but the music was playing as normal and still connected to the Pulse headset. Couldn’t access the home menu and the PS5 wouldn’t turn off even holding down the power button :magemage: had to fully unplug it to get it working again. Very odd

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Wait, you can add negative Joker cards even if you are at the Joker limit? :psyduck: I always assumed you had to sell a Joker first to make room for any new Joker, even if they are negative.

How did I not know this until now???? :aaaaa:

But that’s the point of the negative joker?

Oth I do think adding a negative joker that says +1 joker slot makes initially think it should add an extra slot. E.g you have 5/5 jokers, pick up a negative, you should be at 6/7 instead of 6/6. I mean the way it works makes sense I just think it’s worded a bit oddly

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

No, I mean like if your Joker count is already at 5/5 that you'd have to sell one to get down to 4/5 before being able to add/fit in the negative Joker to make it 5/6 and have the negative trait kick in rather than immediately adding it to a 5/5 set to make 6/6. That was my assumption, anyways.

e: I finally found the Perkeo legendary card. How can I take advantage of its gimmick?

Oooh I see yeah that also makes sense. Honestly a negative should just say 'ignores joker limit'

Have also just found out after a few grinds that the Zodiac deck's three starting vouchers do not count towards the ROI trophy, and someone on the internet led me to believe otherwise.

At the very least I got a really cool run going of:
The joker that gives +4 for spades
Then the Castle Joker which gains +3 Chips per discarded card from a random Suit
Then Bootstraps
THEN Smeared Joker
Then Baseball dude

It just meant that every club was also a spade, which meant I had an easy flush deck going, but that I could also discard any heart or diamonds for chips on the castle, and if the castle was targeting clubs OR spades I could discard either of them depending on which gave a better chance for a flush.

I had something like +400 chips by the end

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Fuckin finally got the nest egg achievement, what a run. Just barely beat that last hand too. At one point I thought I'd hit another wall where the game would simply not offer me a money tag, but I saw a $5 for each blind skipped and said gently caress it - that netted me over $200 I used to fund the deck until I was left with 60. Thought I might use that to get the voucher achievement but lol:

I also did 25 re-rolls after that and no negative jokers :(

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 26, 2024

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Also the PS5 version got an update yesterday if anyone's wondering. I presume it stops that boss blind putting you at level 0 for hands

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That update came out a few weeks ago

Not for PS5 I don't think - it was stuck because of translation or something. I got down to flush 0 just three days ago on the PS5

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I’ve been trying my hand at just unlocking stuntman by going for steel/red mark cards but I am just not getting lucky enough. Can’t believe some people were using that card on the first fuckin day of release

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

fuckin finnnaally got stuntman

Played a uh 3 of spades to get over a billion. Used a combination of burnt joker to get high card up to level 22, then DNA, which I then replaced with steel joker. I did not know Sock and Buskin does not work on King's left in hand and not played. Ooops. At the moment it's not doing anything until I can copy more kings

:edit: Seed is QPVDEB6W - I think this one could go all the way to one of those silly 20+ antes, but I died on the boss of Ante 12 to the Mark lol. Couldn't order my King's properly and didn't know what were Jacks or Queens

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 2, 2024

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Just tried the beta mode and decided to do a brain dead purple stake run and absolutely coasted till Ante 8 until I got hit by a boss blind I wasn't prepared for (and didn't even look at it till I was there). Didn't skip or upgrade a single hand either

Game seems a fair bit easier - getting spectral packs left and right. Of course I'm going off a single run, I might be totally wrong

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Yo in Orange stake these perishable jokers are really really annoying because they seem to be like 90% of the cards I'm getting. Waaaay higher than eternal or just normal stock

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Relyssa posted:

perishable jokers are 30% to show up in the same way that wheel of fortune is 25% chance to trigger

:airquote: "30" "Percent" the same as "25" "Percent" :airquote:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Gold stake done on my third try lets fuckin gooooo - it was also one of the easiest runs in general because of some ferociously lucky jokers very early on:

2 discards, a throwaway hand, and then four queens, the first with a mult and red seal. I was expecting to be banging my head against the wall for this for days

oh wow and my first ever e score directly after with a five of a kind queens

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Never mind I was totally fine and one shot the final boss despite never really settling on a serious strat beyond feeding cards to the vampire lol

First win but there's unlocks tied to beating it with each deck apparently so I get to try some other strats

Feeding the vampire with Midas is one of them known strats. But the new update has nerfed it significantly

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

All the trophies down!

except completion + and ++ gently caress that

:edit: last trophy was the 80 cards in deck - weirdly difficult to get going. I tried a lot with the ghost pack hoping for cryptids and the other dump some random cards but it wouldn't pop off. In the end, certificate of authenticity in the second shop is what did it

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I think generally the Balatro learning curve focus goes
planet cards,
+ mult,
X mult,
chips are useful actually,
all flushes,
planet card high card build,
broken red seal tarot insanity

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Start Golden Needle challenge: Slam pick DNA as my first joker

Fail

Start Jokerless challenge: Slam pick buffoon pack in first shop

:negative:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Cruelty down, just Golden Needle and Jokerless left ahahaHAHAHAHA aaaaaaaahhh

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Finally got to Ante 8 with golden Needle - had a deck that was just scraping by with Acrobat, and with Onyx Agate and Walkie talkie.

Then last blind is Violet Vessel lol.

BUT WAIT, in the very last shop I got throwback for 2.75x mult and got two more glass cards together. Got my club flush with the only two glass cards in the deck on the last discard and beat it by 3000 points. Thank gently caress that one is over. Now just Jokerless uuurgh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

MJeff posted:

Just to be clear what deck is recommended for gold stake now that the patch is out, Ghost or Yellow

Yellow owns but I think consistency wise checkered is still probably winning out, but actually because it’s easier to get flush five, rather than just flushed