Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Compare your lives to mine and kill yourselves.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/titanic-submarine-missing-rescue-mission-underway-newfoundland-canada/

I may be an rear end in a top hat but this seems so ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

RIP to the billionaire, he was one of the good ones

After reading his wiki he just seems like a guy that wanted his name on a bunch of unnecessary expeditions. I mean he moved a few cheetahs once but I feel like a billionaire could be doing more for the world.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

I'm all for the kraken theory but do they like cold water? Maybe a giant sea spider...

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

pfft i can move some cheetahs my uncle has a ford focus estate i could borrow, could have them moved in a jiffy

I hope it's not leather

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Nowher posted:

Even if they are still alive, I think they are pretty much hosed.

Watched a BBC news clip and they said that rescue subs cannot go that deep and even if they could, the hatches do not match.

Prob bought the hatch off Amazon when they got the video game controller.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Elon should get in another sub to go rescue them

Only if he's in it

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Karma Comedian posted:

The ocean claiming rich people is not the course I was expecting this season to take.

A welcomed plot twist

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
They hit L2 when they meant to hit R2

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
At least there's a nice futon cushion to sit on

Death By SnuSnu fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 20, 2023

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

Has anyone contacted Billy Zane yet? I feel like he can muster up some sort of survival plan.

Nooo, it’s not because he was in Titanic, I just really think Billy Zane could get the job done.

A real man makes his own luck.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

This could have been solved by just not having a loving recovery platform it needs to dock with and just giving the thing it's own way to surface

Pfft silly logical person

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

LostCosmonaut posted:

To be fair on the controller thing the US Navy uses 360 controllers on their subs; https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/navy-xbox-controllers-attack-submarines/

If it works and it's cheaper than some 5 billion dollar controller built by raytheon in 49 states I'm all for it.

They're using them to control the periscope not drive the entire sub.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

biznatchio posted:

No way they drowned. If there was *any* way for water to get into the sub, it'd be coming in with enough pressure to cause a rapid unplanned disassembly of the sub and kill them instantly.

But don't forget the wildcard option: freezing to death. It's highly doubtful they were equipped with compressed O2 in significant excess of the duration of their planned excursion; but if by some chance they did bring enough air, they certainly don't have enough electrical power to keep heat running to hold back the chill of the 2°C water they're immersed in for very long. And once the power goes out, a metal tube is going to get cold very quickly.

Saalkin posted:

If they didn't die instantly and are instead slowly running our if air, you think they're sucking and loving the hell out of each other?

Let's create some heat baby!

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Commander Jebus posted:

Assuming they have lithium hydroxide curtains in their survival gear, they will run out of oxygen long before they freeze (the curtains use a chemical process to effectively convert CO2 to heat, and are standard sub survival stores)

That may be a big assumption. So far they have yet to show that they researched or followed any standards for operating a submarine.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Blow posted:

Can a mod change the thread title to Submersible on expedition to Titanic missing please?

My bad 🫤

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Let's say they do have some ballast situation going on. I feel like they would have issues from ascending too quickly because I doubt it would have any way to slow it down. So if they don't die from an implosion, lack of oxygen, or freezing to death they would definitely die from the bends.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

ELTON JOHN posted:

would like to take a moment to remind everyone that over 300 pakistani migrants died when their boat capsized off the coast of greece last week

i wonder which incident is getting more airtime

I have heard of this a few times but I didn't find it nearly as funny or ironic as an idiot billionaire in a poo poo submersible drowning next to the Titanic.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

stealie72 posted:

They're in a pressure vessel, they won't get the bends.

Ah ok. I wasn't quite sure how that worked

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Blow posted:

Most excellent thread title change.

:hfive:

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I heard that the sub has no seats and a single toilet.

Like why. I'd think these fucks would insist on a toilet and bidet each.

A bidet?? That's way too expensive! We're trying to make money here!

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm also not the kind of person who would put themselves into that sort of idiotic situation so maybe that's preferable to him.

Intelligence and logic is not a requirement to be a billionaire. See: Elon Musk

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

This is ridiculously hilarious

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

May favourite part of all of this has been finding out they crank the tunes to drown out the sound of folks taking a dump on the submarine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-65953941

For those billionaires with shy bladders

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Oceangate CEO Rush also said during the interview, "You know, at some point, safety just is pure waste. I mean, if you just want to be safe, don’t get out of bed."

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

DONKEY SALAMI posted:

Billionaire thought he was buying a VIP pass for the fanciest ride in the amusement park. Turns out it was a VIP pass for the county fair.

Hey don't insult the county fair! Pretty sure carny rides are safer than this carbon fiber coffin.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Fansy posted:

The cost of the search has undoubtedly eclipsed whatever was spent on groversub

I'm pretty sure you get a bill for $10k+ for one helicopter to rescue you in the US. They better take it out of his estate.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

What I don't get is why someone would go down to a sunk boat in the middle of nowhere when there's a ton of perfectly good WW2 warships off the coasts of islands in the Pacific to check out instead. Go down, look around, spend the rest of your time at the local resort. Even Hawaii has the Arizona memorial for maximum patriotism.

Well they're British and even though we were Allies during WW2 the Pacific was a little outside their wheelhouse. Plus IIRC they asked us to help multiple times before Hawaii got bombed. I feel like they would be like "This is the memorial of when these fuckers FINALLY decided to help us not get obliterated by Nazis."

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

From the cold war thread.

That article makes it sound like the US doesn't really give a poo poo. And that kinda makes me happy.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

William Bear posted:

I think some goon made this yesterday.

https://countingdownto.com/?c=4831670

21 hours and 23 minutes left!

Nice

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Groversub posted:

The vast majority of marine (and aviation) accidents are a result of operator error, not mechanical failure. As a result, simply focusing on classing the vessel does not address the operational risks. Maintaining high-level operational safety requires constant, committed effort and a focused corporate culture – two things that OceanGate takes very seriously and that are not assessed during classification.

Apparently they could only maintain a constant, committed effort for 1 hr and 45 mins.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Also big shout-out to Hamish, who by all available info seems to be the only good billionaire. Respect

There are no good billionaires. It's not possible to hoard that amount of wealth by being good.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

:thermidor:

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Nenonen posted:

You could be just an incredibly lucky idiot though.

Assuming we're talking about the spawn of billionaires, they still just continue the legacy of atrocities that got them that amount of money in the first place.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

skooma512 posted:

But I thought you were obligated to rescue people in distress at sea?

Like yeah they can’t pay and are brown but I don’t think that’s the letter of the law.

Yes.

https://onboard.sosmediterranee.org/knowledge-base/regulation-33/
"The master of a ship at sea which is in a position to be able to provide assistance on receiving information from any source that persons are in distress at sea, is bound to proceed with all speed to their assistance, if possible informing them or the search and rescue service that the ship is doing so. This obligation to provide assistance applies regardless of the nationality or status of such persons or the circumstances in which they are found."

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

I should clarify my post. All available info says he's very LIKELY already a good billionaire. It might be another 20 hours or so until we can for certain know he's the only good billionaire.

Ah understood! Apologies. Reading can be hard sometimes. :respek:

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Gullous posted:

Carbon fiber's failure modes depend on the layup method. If the carbon was laid up in a criss-cross-apple-sauce pattern it can be quite strong.

:lol:

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
I just want to thank everyone for making this thread a Titan! This is the first time I've posted a thread and I never expected a gold mine. Gonna ride this poo poo tube all the way to the bottom! :grin:

Also, they're goo.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
I'm not an experienced gambler but does this say $111k has been bet on them being found or not?

https://polymarket.com/event/will-the-missing-submarine-be-found-by-june-23

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Ulio posted:

There is still hope godammit, I want to believe something like the plot of Lost happened.

So they're all dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Oh c'mon! Wiki says they initiated a MASSIVE search and rescue operation.