Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure these trips cost in the 6 figure range. I don't have a ton of sympathy for people that rich.

However they are possibly going to die in one of the more mentally terrible ways. In the dark, slowly running out of oxygen with no chance of escape. It's only slightly better than being buried alive in a casket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

biznatchio posted:

The more likely scenario is that the hull of the sub was compromised and they died instantly as it violently imploded under the intense water pressure.

I don't know about that. It sounds from the bits I've watched, the part they actually put resources into was making it structurally sound and able to withstand pressure. The entire rest of the submersible seems to be super macgyvered up so something like an electrical failure taking basically the entire craft offline or the ballast tanks being hosed up and making surfacing impossible seems just as likely as a catastrophic failure of the pressure vessel.

I dunno if they'll ever find this thing though.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 20, 2023

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
How is this supposed to surface after it sinks normally? It kinda sounds like it can't surface on it's own and relies on that platform thing so if you lose thrust, or possible even if you just lose one thruster, you're SOL. Don't most submersibles like have some kind of ballast tanks to blow or weights to detach so they can surface quickly?

Having a separate platform thing you need to dock to feels like a very unnecessary thing that creates an extra fail point in the whole process.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
My dumb theory:

They got to the correct depth fine and started scootin around the titanic as planned.
The electrical system failed, leaving them without propulsion, communication, and lights.
Because of the above they could not dock with the recovery platform thing and are kinda just stuck at the bottom of the ocean.

This could have been solved by just not having a loving recovery platform it needs to dock with and just giving the thing it's own way to surface, ideally any control of this is either directly mechanical or has some kind of redundant back up power, because not being able to surface is bad.

Even if it turns out that the pressure vessel failed, having a separate platform the vessel needs in order to surface is the dumbest poo poo ever.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Okay, yesterday I posted how I didn't know if the sub had its own way of surfacing without the platform thing. First it didn't look like it really had any kind of ballast tanks it could blow with pressurized air. It had some kind of tank on the outside, but that looked too small for this purpose. Second, and more relevantly, they had ballast weights on the outside, which can often be released to allow them to surface, but these were like resting on fixed hooks and the skids on the bottom of the sub. I thought there was no chance these were intended to be removed for deballasting because it would involve the crew desperately rocking the sub around trying to get them off, which seems deeply stupid.

It turns out they did the deeply stupid thing lol.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Death By SnuSnu posted:

Let's say they do have some ballast situation going on. I feel like they would have issues from ascending too quickly because I doubt it would have any way to slow it down. So if they don't die from an implosion, lack of oxygen, or freezing to death they would definitely die from the bends.

Since you arent directly exposed to the ocean pressure, the bends wouldn't be a problem I don't think.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 20, 2023

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Commander Jebus posted:

Even if by some miracle they manage to find the submersible intact on the ocean floor, good luck trying to recover it from there.

Also finding a bottomed out submersible of that size is very difficult even with modern side scanning sonars.

Yeah, basically their best scenario at this point is they were instantly killed when the pressure vessel failed. Every other scenario is a nightmare.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

DickParasite posted:

I assume the billionaire killed the others on board the second things started going wrong so I figure 96 hours of air for 5 people is, what, 480 hours for one dude?

At the very least we can assume everyone else murdered the CEO as soon as they were stuck, so like an extra 20ish hours.

Bad Purchase posted:

however, the rescue efforts should focus on the survivable scenarios, which would be that they surfaced without working comms or that they are stuck / very slowly ascending at some intermediate depth where a rescue could perhaps be attempted.

Oh yeah, the deeply stupid "Deballast by rocking the boat around" thing could easily have left them like halfway to the surface.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Bad Purchase posted:

is the toilet actually bolted down, or is it one of those portable ones for van campers that you can just move anywhere? maybe making GBS threads by the window isn't the only option.

Power move is making GBS threads in the middle of the tube

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

I don't even think it's a real toilet, it's a box with a toilet seat-shaped thing on top

Which is really funny because it means if someone shits in it, you can't even look out the window anymore without your face being like a foot away from a literal bowl of poo poo.

quick edit: Also I ordered a meatball sub today in honor of the groversub

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
"obsecenely safe! Obsecenely safe!" I continue to insist as the pressure of the ocean depths crush me into something smaller than a corn cob.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

What happens when the window fails? It comes rocketing in followed but crushing amounts of water?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Plucky Brit posted:

Carbon fibre hull. loving hell.

People have already made the point of between 0 and 1 atmospheres of pressure (:argh:). Cyclical stress from each dive will make defects more and more likely, and given general standards I doubt they've got any inspection regime. I'm now far more convinced that the submarine imploded.

... Not that it's going to be much better if they're on the surface; submarines are not designed for surface stability, so it's going to be hellish for those inside even in the most calm seas. Given the stress they're under, I doubt that 40 hours is accurate.

No transponder, no automatic ballast detachment, no internal release mechanism, no wired controls. This is great fodder for engineering safety lectures.

I originally thought that failure other than the pressure vessel was more likely because of how much the CEO crowed about how they spent so much money and resources on just that part. Since then, not only have I learned that they did that in stupid ways, but they did SO many things wrong that we likely will have no idea what caused it unless we find the sub.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Why did they go with carbon fiber for the pressure vessel? Cost? Weight? Did Elon do it for his space ships?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Dark Off posted:

so that active hull alarm thingy only alarmed milliseconds before the collapse.
just search for the oceangate v david lochridge for source.

Lol so their last millisecond of consciousness was "Beep?"

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Just use fishing line, it’s crazy strong.

How strong is fiberoptic cable? I can find REALLY long ones on amazon.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

So if the 'banging every 30 minutes' was them, how could have sonar picked that up? What? Tapping on the inside walls somehow is picked up in the ocean by underwater drone??

Maybe them doing the really stupid "Rock the sub to knock the ballast off" procedure and taking ~30 minute breaks because that poo poo probably tires you out.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Hazo posted:

"enterprise software developer focused on post-sale channel management and financial reporting" is some impressive :techno: bullshit

I'm pretty sure the majority of development jobs out there are like "guy who writes the program that shuffles poo poo from Program A into Program B" and "Guy who writes the thing that makes the spreadsheet nobody reads". Which is what I'd assume seeing that title.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The canadians aren't being specific enough. It's not banging. It's "banging" every thirty minutes. They know they are hosed so they are trying to make the best of it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

The Juicero was a staggeringly and flawlessly over-engineered product, they wish they were in a Juicero.

Yeah I remember some YouTuber taking it apart and being like "There's no way this thing costs less to make than the $400 they charge." because every single component was so top of the line and over engineered, which is a complete waste for a loving juice press.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

smoobles posted:

they would have dropped the ballast (which can be done with or without power)

You've made the fatal mistake of thinking they can easily drop the ballast like a normal sub. To drop the ballast in this terrible sub they needed to get the sub to rock around until the weights fell off. It wasn't like just pull a lever and drop the big weight, it was move around and hope enough small weights fall off and they'd had problems with it before.

Hell, in normal operation this thing wasn't even supposed to surface on its own, it was supposed to dock with the platform thing for the last 100m or so, probably because their method to deballast the sub was SO bad.

There's literally so many things wrong with this sub that we actually have no idea what happened.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Me to my wife: They found debris from the sub so I probably imploded and turned everyone to pulp.

My wife: GOOD

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
It's really amazing how much of society came together on this one. Everyone I know seems to have been following it and all of them were basically like "lol the billionaires are either goo or trapped in the dark filling the vessel with poop and pee".

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

i am a moron posted:

I’ve never watched it but that’s because I know Jim Cameron movies are terrible

Give me titanic but with like as much as the Jack and Rose plot cut out as possible. I wonder if anyone has done that.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

slinkimalinki posted:

Marinara trench lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Google Jeb Bush posted:

also a teen and an insane French old guy

The teen is the only person I feel bad for.

The old guy is in his 70's and while I'm sure he was planning on living longer, going out doing something wildly stupid in your late 70s and making world news over it is not bad way to go out.