Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Fansy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
glamorous titanic ghosts sneering at the newcomer's little can

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

David wife beater Pogue helped lay the trap

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Groversub is ruining my workday.

I read about discarded fishing "ghost nets" that can be several miles long, spending their decades entangling all sorts of marine life. I don't know about fishing in that area, but the nets apparently travel thousands of miles in currents. Perhaps they've hitched a ride.

Fansy fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 20, 2023

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
you have every right to party you sweet failson

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Britain’s Ministry of Defense, which hosts NATO’s multinational submarine rescue capability, said it was monitoring the search. British officials say that the depth of water in the search area greatly exceeds that in which the NATO Submarine Rescue System — which is based in Scotland — can safely operate, but that its team is available to offer expertise and guidance.

Sorry we can't make the trip, how about a zoom meeting?

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Commander Jebus posted:

Also a cylindrical design for a submersible that goes that deep is a terrible decision and there is a reason why all other deep diving submersibles are spheres. It works for military subs because they are much shallower vessels comparatively.

Here's what a cool looking non grover version looks like:

https://tritonsubs.com/subs/gullwing/?dc=pro

drat that's cool. I need to watch Blue Planet II again.

James Cameron warned him,

nytimes posted:

Leaders in the submersible vehicle industry sent a letter to OceanGate’s chief executive, Stockton Rush, in 2018 warning that “the current ‘experimental’ approach” of the company could result in problems, “from minor to catastrophic.” The letter was obtained by The New York Times and confirmed by one of the signatories. It was not immediately clear whether Oceangate had responded.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have so much more respect for Triton subs after this.

I don't know why you'd cheap out on groversub's toilet window when full 360 view exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkfTSlTnaBQ

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The cost of the search has undoubtedly eclipsed whatever was spent on groversub

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

So in 100ish years is there going to be a Titanic squeal based off this?

Nobody glamorous on board. Best they can hope for is a comedy.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
NYT posted the industry letter to Stockton,

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/marine-technology-society-committee-2018-letter-to-ocean-gate/eddb63615a7b3764/full.pdf

quote:

March27, 2018
Oceangate Inc
1205 CraftsmanWay, Suite 112
Everett, WA 98201

Dear Stockton ,
This letter is sent on behalf of our industry members who have collectively expressed unanimous
concern regarding the development of TITAN and the planned Titanic Expedition. Our apprehension is
that the current experimental approach adopted by Oceangate could result in negative outcomes
(from minor to catastrophic) that would have serious consequences for everyone in the industry.

The MUV industry has earned itself an enviable safety track record over the past 40 years . This is partly
due to the diligent engineering discipline and professional approach exercised by members of the
industry , but also due to the collective observation of ( and adherence to ) a variety of safety standards .
This reputation is solid because it was hard won over many years of diligence application and has
resulted in a safe and successful record of operation . Our members are all aware of how important and
precious this standing is and deeply concerned that a single negative event could undo this.

Your marketing material advertises that the TITAN design will meet or exceed the DNV-GL safety
standards, yet it does not appear that Oceangate has the intention of following DNV- GL class rules. Your
representation is, at minimum, misleading to the public and breaches an industry- wide professional
code of conduct we all endeavor to uphold.

We do all agree that a performance - based testing program for design verification is a recognized and
valid approach to new technologies . However , we recommend that at a minimum you institute a
prototype testing program that is reviewed and witnessed by DNV -GL (or ABS ). While this may demand
additional time and expense , it is our unanimous view that this validation process by a third -party is a
critical component in the safeguards that protect all submersible occupants.

Together we are all beneficiaries of the excellent safety record of MUV operations over the years; but
each one of us is also a steward with a responsibility to sustain this achievement. We would be grateful
if you could confirm that Oceangate can see the future benefit of its investment in adhering to our
industry accepted safety guidelines and protocols for ultimate success and that of the MUV community.

Sincerely yours,

They didn't include the signatories, but name a few in the article

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/06/20/us/titanic-missing-submarine

Fansy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 20, 2023

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

I think he was just so obsessed with the Titanic that he'd risk death to see it.

He had to have known about the whole Marine Technology Society thought this sub was a crock of poo poo. He's written articles for the MTS journal! He's probably in the MTS.

lmao RMS Titanic Inc, the company that Nargeolet works for, is part of the same company that does the "BODIES!" exhibition -- ie the chinese knock-off of Body Worlds that is probably using executed criminals and black-market sources. And they've been playing games with bankruptcy to sell off Titanic artifacts.

The dude is willing to work for a scum business just to keep doing Titanic dives.

Nargeolet's in a small space with extremely wealthy clients, and he's the director of the giftshop.

Fansy fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 21, 2023

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
He's making the most of his 15 minutes https://twitter.com/audioguy182/status/1671338603803475968

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm not gonna laugh about the 19yo but this is a billionaire's kid paying for their stupidity. usually it's every child in the world paying for billionaire stupidity.

Fansy fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 21, 2023

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They've acclimated to the stench and lie mostly in silence. Their communication is a slow exchange of notes which sometimes threatens their careful, controlled breathing. Movement and speech are rationed, save for the deliberate, rhythmic banging one member is permitted to make every half hour, and despaired curses at Stockton.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It took a year to find the imploded ARA San Juan (S-42), a 44 person military sub that was 3k ft under.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
well time to get ready for bed in my large room full of fresh air, see you all in 8 hours

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If the glue came off the end caps they could get out and swim up to safety

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

idiot CEO: "try to regulate deez ive got a gold fringed flag bitch lmao"

chuds: "I sleep"

idiot CEO: "more young people (to pay less). Fewer 50 year old white men plz"

chuds: "GO WOKE YOU DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Now we need some shitlibs to accept this framing and defend his exemplary and heroic hiring practices, and the culture war is complete.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If it weren't for all the unnecessary safety regulation, they'd have been saved by now.

quote:

Exclusive: Life-saving equipment for Titanic sub search caught in red tape, Explorers Club says

Efforts by the Explorers Club to send potentially life-saving technology to locate and retrieve the missing Titan submersible have been delayed by the U.S. Coast Guard since Monday, according to exclusive information provided to National Geographic.

National Geographic can also reveal that at least one remotely operated vehicle (ROV) was destroyed during the search for the submersible.

Explorers Club president Richard Garriott de Cayeux says that offers from club leadership to deliver working-class ROVs from deep-water firm Magellan to the search since Monday have been tied up in a bureaucratic snafu.

Two crew members onboard the missing submersible, Hamish Harding and Paul-Henri Nargeolet, are Explorers Club members.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/titan-submersible-rescue-delay-explorers-club

Fansy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 22, 2023

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Ok, so, rescue aside. (Lol)
How long, REALISTICALLY, would it be fair to assume it will take to locate.... anything related to the sub. Be it intact, or just pieces?

It took a bit over a year to find a 200+ foot long military sub that held 40+ people (ARA San Juan). It was made from steel and 3k feet under. Debris were strewn for 86,000 sq ft.

Titan is the size of a smart car, 12k feet under, and made of a carbon fiber which shatters.

My guess is never.

edit: lol guess I'm wrong

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
don't make this tourist craft a spectacle, have some respect for the dead

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yes it's been made and you can see it in Blue Planet II, the deep ocean episode.

The only reason billionaires were on the pringles can was to save some money.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I'm now confident Cameron was a signatory on the MTS letter to Rush

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

lmao the replies, shitheads are really latching onto the "they died because the CEO was TOO WOKE to hire 50 year old white guys!!1!11!!" narrative aren't they?

Gotta skip past bluechecks to read any human replies

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

What were the final moments of the sub people? Now that we know how they died, do we know if they might have seen it happening or was it more likely instantaneous?

There were apparently experimental hull stability warning systems built in, so they might have had a bit of a warning in the form of a light or a beep, but a fired employee said it wouldn't give any actionable amount of time, and nothing was communicated before all contact immediately stopped. From reading this thread it doesn't sound like a slow collapse at that depth is possible.

Fansy fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 22, 2023

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lmao

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MylonasMakis/status/1671931460616437768

Barack Obama posted:

You think about what’s happening this week. there’s a potential tragedy unfolding with a submarine that is getting, you know, minute to minute coverage, all around the world. And it’s understandable because we all want and pray for those folks to be rescued. But the fact that’s got more attention than 700 people who sank is –- that’s an untenable situation.

Starting to think liberals are out of touch

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sophy Wackles posted:

Turns out the Navy knew this thing imploded days ago (just hours after the titan set off) from some acoustic detection system.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-navy-detected-titan-sub-implosion-days-ago-6844cb12

So did James Cameron,

quote:

Filmmaker and underwater enthusiast James Cameron has told Reuters in a Zoom interview that his sources reported hearing a “loud bang” on Sunday, similar to the US Navy’s report that it heard an underwater “anomaly” near the wreck of the Titanic on Sunday.
Cameron said he knew the Titan submersible was lost from the start, suspecting it imploded at the time the Titan’s support vessel lost communications one hour and 45 minutes into the mission. “We got confirmation within an hour that there had been a loud bang at the same time that the sub comms were lost. A loud bang on the hydrophone. Loss of transponder. Loss of comms. I knew what happened. The sub imploded,” Cameron said. He added that he told colleagues in an email on Monday, “We’ve lost some friends,” and, “It’s on the bottom in pieces right now.” The five who died mark the first deep-sea fatalities for the industry, Cameron said.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08c081c5bb6835

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

That mega thread earlier about all the safety features in the Deepsea Challnger was pretty impressive

https://twitter.com/alwaystheself/status/1671980973754294285?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA