Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm excited but I'm definitely waiting for the 1.0 release this time as I did way too much of the original and was p burned out by the time the full release came around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Buck Wildman posted:

I'm excited but I'm definitely waiting for the 1.0 release this time as I did way too much of the original and was p burned out by the time the full release came around

i didnt play Hades in EA and I kinda regret it since im curious how the game was back then compared to now

excited to jump in day one on Hades 2, may even do the thing where you delete your save data when 1.0 drops

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i didnt play Hades in EA and I kinda regret it since im curious how the game was back then compared to now

excited to jump in day one on Hades 2, may even do the thing where you delete your save data when 1.0 drops

i did and hades pretty much emerged fully formed as far as the basic gameplay goes but then they added an ending and more poo poo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hades sprung forth fully formed from greg kassavan's nutsack, like athena sprung from zeus in full armor

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Al! posted:

i did and hades pretty much emerged fully formed as far as the basic gameplay goes but then they added an ending and more poo poo

ive played so much Hades that even minor differences in balance and mechanics would be interesting to me just to see what changed. Also want to have a chance to get incredibly broken builds and glitches before they get patched out

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

it was p much a fully formed product outside of additional content, exactly what EA should be used for. there was even unique dialogue for stuff like the fact that there was no ending so he just died after a completed run anyway. it just would've been nice to see it all from the beginning fully realized

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Buck Wildman posted:

exact same. I put in my 9 consecutive wins to see the ending and that was that. 95% of my time was basically in EA so I’m waiting this time

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

it was pretty much functionally the same except with a few less gods, a few less mirror and alt-mirror upgrades (tho tbh I prefer OG mirror upgrades more) and no ending. but it was easier to break the game over your knee. shrapnel/bomb gun and chaos shield used to super godlike but they nerfed chaos shield hard so it wasn’t just spam a zillion mini shields and instawin but that used to be my favorite build in EA

Athena shield dash used to even bigger GOAT if you can believe it. automatic win, though still auto win in 1.0

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i thonk dead cells is better than hades, but it didnt make as much of a splash around here. its also so skill based that even the most op build will gently caress up if you relax too much

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

docbeard posted:

As for what's next...

Fallout (or Wasteland) are definitely on the brain for obvious reasons, and I'm feeling like the OG version of either has the most appeal right now. Wasteland is the first CRPG I ever beat (though not the first one I ever played) so I'm leaning that way.

I've never actually played thru OG wasteland without beelining to the junk clan camp to get early automatics, I should try and play it with more of the intended curve sometime.

Regarde Aduck posted:

So horny you poo poo...

Gonna be honest, never been there.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

i thonk dead cells is better than hades, but it didnt make as much of a splash around here. its also so skill based that even the most op build will gently caress up if you relax too much

I played too much DC during EA to enjoy 1.0. also it was too skill based whereas hades is a lot of ez wins just on good boobs

e: loving autocorrect, but I’ll leave it because it’s funny boons apparently isn’t a word

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

I played too much DC during EA to enjoy 1.0. also it was too skill based whereas hades is a lot of ez wins just on good boobs

preserving this typo in amber

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i enjoyed watching Hades take shape. it was really good from the start. let's see if they can do it again.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i beat hades once and never played it again but i will support da devs

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the biggest problem with dead cells is theres a middle phase of just grinding out poo poo to slowly hit your unlockables. i think they balanced that poorly so you need to put in hundreds of hours just to get enough souls to unlock everything. that said "everything" is dozens of very unique weapons, items, and mutations

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Regarde Aduck posted:

So horny you poo poo on your own magnum opus

Not sure if impressed or saddened... Both?

yoko taro regularly shits on his own magnum opus for fun

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i think if anyone is allowed to say neir automata is mid, its yoko taro

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

the biggest problem with dead cells is theres a middle phase of just grinding out poo poo to slowly hit your unlockables. i think they balanced that poorly so you need to put in hundreds of hours just to get enough souls to unlock everything. that said "everything" is dozens of very unique weapons, items, and mutations

maybe they changed it but one thing I hated was unlocking a bad weapon/item that now clogs up the pool, so the best way to play was to only unlock ones that were good/fun to use. really needed like a toggle to turn them off if you hate them after unlocking.

it kinda sucked to unlock something only to find out it was bad

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

maybe they changed it but one thing I hated was unlocking a bad weapon/item that now clogs up the pool, so the best way to play was to only unlock ones that were good/fun to use. really needed like a toggle to turn them off if you hate them after unlocking.

this was the best part of Isaac, getting 90% of the way through an OP run and then accidentally picking up Soy Milk and just RUINING IT

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I've never actually played thru OG wasteland without beelining to the junk clan camp to get early automatics, I should try and play it with more of the intended curve sometime.

Gonna be honest, never been there.

I never played OG Wasteland but got the remaster. It looks interesting but I have no clue how to play.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the best roguelike-with-unlocks is balatro

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
The best parts about any of the Nier or Drakengard games was never, ever the actual gameplay so. So Stellar Blade being better than Nier Automata at being an actual game is not hard to imagine.

Al! posted:

has a fan made game remake ever actually succeeded? i think there was a chrono trigger one that was pretty far along that got dmca'd
"Another Metroid 2 Remake" came out and widely distributed before Nintendo could nuke it. I think some people even prefer it to the official 3DS Metroid 2 remake.

Xaris posted:

This is why I hate unlock systems that add unlocks to a pool. Maybe its since been fixed, but Returnal is way, way easier if you only unlock the Hollowseeker and its upgrades so you don't clutter up the weapon pool with crap weapons (or even decent weapons that you didn't unlock any upgrades for. The game has, or at least used to have, problems with janky "the rich get richer" risk vs. reward balancing.)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm not unrealistic in my expectations but I bet even Goggins would enjoy a game of Bomberman or Road Rash

All great actors have an affinity for Burger Time

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

i think they eventually got down to a "you design your run" model with achievements disabled but getting a high level lovely weapon and making it work is part of the challenge imo

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Buck Wildman posted:

didn't the morrowind in skyrim complete? I'm hardly tapped into such things so idk

No, but it's seeing steady progress.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I try to avoid ea games. And also early access games. Wakka wakka

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

MonsieurChoc posted:

I never played OG Wasteland but got the remaster. It looks interesting but I have no clue how to play.

Try to max out IQ on most of your characters, skill points are provided by IQ and late game weapons need high IQ make at least one good at brawling, spread out medical skills, make sure everyone can swim, don't put any points in combat shooting or bureaucracy, save often.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://x.com/rad_dude124/status/1779769740128321758

Double postin' to show off this great clip. Now I wanna play Fallout 2 again

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

video games will be in museums soon and outlawed

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lpzie posted:

we will finally be free :unsmith:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

back on my bull poo poo

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

back on my bull poo poo

you should be nice and release him

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lpzie posted:

The Strong Museum of Play has a videogame hall of fame. Oregon Trail was inducted in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QbjlHeoLdc

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

https://x.com/rad_dude124/status/1779769740128321758

Double postin' to show off this great clip. Now I wanna play Fallout 2 again

LOL

Kinda sounds like John DiMaggio

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

The Strong Museum of Play has a videogame hall of fame. Oregon Trail was inducted in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QbjlHeoLdc

My librarian friend tried hard to get their official archivist job but sadly was looked over

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

TontoCorazon posted:

LOL

Kinda sounds like John DiMaggio

Not too far off - he in fact replaced a John DiMaggio role in the newest season of Futurama but it's apparently Kevin Michael Richardson

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i've played every fallout game

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

My librarian friend tried hard to get their official archivist job but sadly was looked over

Same, I wanted to be 3rd shift security guard so bad, would have been just like Night At The Museum

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i've played every fallout game

but have you played every mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitcher Witcher
Jan 13, 2020

Very hyped for Keanu the shadowhog. Coincidentally i have been playing shadow the hedgehog and I can't stand anymore of it. It sucks. The bizarre tone was endearing for a while but the levels suck, the missions suck and the gameplay sucks. I could see run n gunning being fun if it was fast and smooth but nothing in this game is. I got what meager shadow backstory there was out of it. Maria was killed by troops