Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm still playing Zelda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I got my first party member in TotK. It's the bird kid. It's cool that Zelda party members are helpful now instead of being basically big rocks you have to carry around like in OoT or big rocks with very specific use cases where they're helpful like in Wind Waker.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Love a good roof

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

there are too many games now

there should only be around 15 imo

*twitter chud voice* under communism there would only be 15 games

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

selfie of myself standing in Gamestop in front of shelves and shelves of only one game: this is what it's like under communism

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

You turn it on and it goes yea high, how does it know when to stop?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Finished Wind Temple in TotK last night btw, it was badass

It was on the scale of BotW dungeons rather than classic Zelda ones but the leadup to it where you're flying around the sky islands in the blizzard probably counted as part of the dungeon too, and the concept (fleet of ghost ships floating inside a giant storm cloud with a flying ice serpent imprisoned within) was metal as gently caress

Probably gonna go check out the Hylian corner of the map now so I can visit those towns before I start hunting for another temple

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gotta say I really appreciate how this is the first Zelda game that actually does something interesting with Zelda's character (besides possibly Wind Waker)

like, it actually appears to be giving her a legend :eyepop:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh, I also like that it brought back masks

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

is it only ps5?

Yup

Methinks shan't etc etc etc

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

Only for now, it comes out on everything else in a few months

That's cool, I thought it was next year

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Baby napped on me for two straight hours of Zelda today while still getting to feel like I was doing important parenting work, love to see it

So hard keeping this baby calm, I almost can't find all these bubbulfrogs

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

the first 6 months of parental leave fatherhood is the most productive gaming time you will ever have and then boom they can crawl off the baby pillow one day and its over

Switch and Steam Deck combo has been a lifesaver for me this time around. Dunno what I would have done if I had a baby in the pre-Switch days. Fire Emblem replay?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Antonymous posted:

ps5 is $400 with a controller, used even less. I can sit on my couch and use my existing TV

What is the value of a PC that can run those games

I guess if you pirate stuff you can offset costs plus there's almost every game ever made on PC

Get a Steam Deck and you can hack it and take it on the bus and play it while rocking your infant son to sleep

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also where's the $400 figure from, I'm still seeing $500

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's true. The Switch feels tiny and frail after my oafish hands got used to the Deck

The Deck thread recommended a grip for Switch usage post-Deck but I haven't felt the need to like spend money over it or anything

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Antonymous posted:

can the steamdeck go on my TV for 4 player games

edit: can other controllers connect to it if so?

Yes and yes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Steam Deck is basically a copy of the Switch's form factor with better specs and a different (better) ecosystem (and, again, super hackable as it just runs Linux). It's a beefy boi but I have taken it traveling and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It's a good machine op

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Antonymous posted:

steam deck battery life 1.5-2 hours
Switch battery life 4.5-9 hours

that's what google said though I think for switch 4 hours is probably the max with any 3d game

Not sure what the person who measured this was doing on their Deck. I tried emulating Xenoblade 3 on it and it was chugging and whirring and gasping for breath and it lasted about that long; typical usage would be better

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

Pro move is to take a road trip and have the SO do most of the driving while you plug that Deck into a power inverter and game battery-free

I had a Sega Nomad as a kid and that motherfucker could chew through a pack of 6 AAs in like half an hour but it had a good long car adapter cord so I was all good

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

I've got two: a ZMI PowerPack 20000 and a Ravpower Turbo+. both are decently small and come with nice pouches that I just plunk into my backpack and can hold several hours of charge for quite awhile. just one's enough for most circumstances but I bring both if I'm on a super long flight or something

Looks like the ZMI costs literally twice as much as the Ravpower (or Anker) equivalents. What's its advantage?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

smarxist posted:

what was the battery life on the Sega Nomad then like 180 seconds?

Basically

It came with an external battery pack because they literally could not fit enough batteries to make it usable inside the thing's chassis. I think they knew playing it plugged in was pretty much the only viable option

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CaptainBeefart posted:

Yep. Also Gunstar Heroes.

Genesis Aladdin was also way better than SNES Aladdin, and Genesis Earthworm Jim had a whole-rear end level in it they literally couldn't fit on the SNES cart

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

smarxist posted:

oh man remember Super Gameboy? that was a loving rad little addon

they even started including super gameboy color palettes in GB games and poo poo, and sometimes little easter eggs

This thing owned and I could only ever play it at other kids' houses

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As an RPG fan who went from Genesis to N64 I was so starved for RPGs that I tried Beyond Oasis and Quest 64 and I really really wanted them to be good

I ended up just buying a used SNES and a bunch of its games at funcoland

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

The switch is bad. Nintendo is bad. All of you are bad

I am having a wonderful time playing Zelda :)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Blame Pyrrhus posted:

Also, the GBA is still the superior portable gaming experience. When I flew all over the country for work (as in, flying between states 4 days a week every week for 2 years) I ended up playing through all of the great 1st party ports and various castlevanias for the first time in over a decade and the battery on that thing would last days of lengthy planerides.

Seriously that thing must've requires like 0 power to operate cause even the OG battery would last for days. How in the hell?

One time my GBA battery ran out while I was saving my game in FFTA :negative:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

I hope nintendo re-releases another classic Nintendo game for $70!!!

Square-Enix would never

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

olives black posted:

are final fantasy x-2 or 12 worth playing

FFX2 is dumb as poo poo but fun and FF12 hits its stride eventually but it's been like 15 years since I played either game

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

videogames are for children so they're right

The one thing kids and boomers agree on

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If an Armored Core and a Metal Gear got in a fight, who would win

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A Nomai and a Zonai, same question

e: hell, throw Foreman Domai in there too, why not

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

honestly saying to keep it under 40 bucks is pretty permissive if you're only getting indie or mid-level games (or games that are a few years old)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Most games I buy these days are indie titles and if I can I wait for a good deal. Now that I finally have my dream emulator setup I've been emulating a lot anyway (see: me talking about Dark Cloud 2 to nobody in particular for like two months)

Mr Hootington posted:

I paid $70 for the new final fantasy. Haven't been disappointed by the game yet.👍

Same with Zelda :)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

People who think zelda: TotK has a deep and interesting story are saying final fantasy 16's story is bad.

That's right

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm just glad to see Hoot and Augus agreeing on something

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ben Nerevarine posted:

FFXVI owns but these are some of the lowest effort sidequests I’ve ever seen

FFXV's sidequests were bad enough that I stopped doing them and beelined the plot quests

and I fuckin love sidequests

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

*takes notes PYFishly*

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Al! posted:

nichael i just wanted the rest of the forums to see that post lol, sorry if anyone gets weird about it

They absolutely will lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My hot take is that I support Microsoft's forced updates because if you don't do poo poo like that people just won't update ever and then I'm stuck working on a website that has to still support IE8 in like 2018