Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

its like one of 600 games like it tho and others have more IP rights to play with

I mean all of them but dbd have double digit player counts, so its not like there's much real competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I couldn't release the button softly as a child so every time i held someone up for their dogtags in mgs2 i had to aim to the side of their head and shoot the wall afterwards.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
why is the thread title this

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
there's a boss with an attack called "spirits within" so i'm glad square were having fun with this one

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Xaris posted:

also to add, a lot of aging gamers are in denial about how much gaming time they actually have. a lot want to rekindle and relive their college dorm or high school days playing games into the wee hours but babbies, wifey, work, housing, errands, care-taking, etc poo poo basically eliminates it enitirely. but buying video games gives them hope that it might still happen

actually millenials solved this already by not getting married, having kids, or owning homes.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Remnant 2 is cool but you know what would be cool? Last Remnant 2?

second question mark definitely merited.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

drat horror queefs posted:

Haven't played remnant 2 yet but the dialogue for remnant 1 wasn't very good either.

The story was kinda interesting in broad strokes, and the gameplay was shockingly good (IMHO, the best non-fromsoft souls game I've played), but I skipped a lot of the cutscenes and character interactions

Does remnant's gameplay work better in coop? I played the first one back when it came out and refunded it after beating the first boss, I'm always shocked by the praise I see since I thought it was one of the worst soulslikes I've played.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

my friend is trying to explain some korean gamer drama to me and i dont understand anything except that incels stormed a dev studio and forced them to fire a woman they didnt like but all the proper names are like odyssey of generic thing and i coundnt follow him

a woman tweeted once like eight years ago and every gamer in korea rose up to put a stop to it

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

genericnick posted:

I knew a bunch of people who went from Korea to Japan because the work culture was more chill. OK, two.

Pictured: typical Korean office life:

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Al! posted:

it really is like 150 gigs lmao

it's like 10 hrs. for me to download from steam, american internet was not made for the ridiculous sizes of modern games.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Honestly after playing a ton of Divinity and Pillars over the last couple of years, going back to the ADnD system in Baldur's gate feels boring as poo poo. All the classes are pulling from the same bag of skills and spells with a few unique ones for the class that make a lot of them seem more samey. I'm playing a druid and it just feels like a mashup of a cleric and wizard with some spice on top, where when I play a druid in Pillars it comes with a full suite of unique druid skills and spells to differentiate it from the other classes.

Adapting the spell and rest system to a video game where you are getting into constant fights also feels clunky as hell, and tossing up a camp every 50 feet up the road is kind of ridiculous.

DnD is a bad system and always has been, it just has enough cultural purchase that occasionally people will go to great lengths to make good video games out of it.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Who is the most italian Nintendo character? :colbert:

Meowth is a proud Italian american.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Jon posted:

5e is like a soda machine that at best you can mix a couple of flavors manually but pathfinder is like one of those soda machines where you can mix hundreds of flavors on the fly by design

WotR character building was utterly impenetrable and broken, but also way more fun than it is in BG3. Taking the Legend path and just trying to get your head around what new tiers of bullshit you can do with 40 levels was great.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

it;'s cool when one of your characters catch on fire and the game bugs out so they just never stop being on fire and you watch them burning to death in the background of a cutscene. easy to see why bg3 got so many 10/10s

realistic, martial classes would struggle with this every day of their life

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
man, JK simmons really sleepwalks his way through every line in BG3. he's done a lot of voicework before too, doesn't even have the usual excuse of film actors to be bad in games. maybe he just hates belgians?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Augus posted:

sounds like lovely direction

its just him though, even npcs with one line have better reads.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Also, got to act 3 of BG3 and Gale just left for no reason, leaving me with literally 3 party members. I'll have to use hirelings if anyone else leaves.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

punished milkman posted:

i had a weird bug with gale where after i gave him his 2nd item to sate his magic lust, he took off all of his clothing??

this is making me think i should swap in the dickhead vampire

I killed the druids in the first act, which is why will and the demon chick left, but gale had no problem with that. Then I respecced to paladin and haven't done anything evil since but at the end of act 2 gale (who had almost max approval) gave me a speech about how he couldn't take all the blood on his hands and just left with no dialogue or skill check to convince him otherwise.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

RandolphCarter posted:

I broke my oath of vengeance so I could eat some hair and become more charismatic

why did that break your oath, did you have a blood vendetta against the hair

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

wait, starfield is procgen poo poo? i thought it was like a bunch of little hand crafted regions you'd land in lol

I've been playing daggerfall unity lately, glad to see that experience will transfer directly to starfield.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Al! posted:

the boondocks is great, but i'd never trust goons to discuss it

I mean, they can't be more racist about it than the people who made the post-McGruder season.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, he's a Sad Dad, not a bombastic villain pouring his heart into the plan.

He doesn't sound sad though, he sounds like simmons was six glasses of wine deep and ten feet from his mic.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

The Chad Jihad posted:

Running out of steam in the starfield, not feeling any juice, just feeling dull. Picked up a companion in a story quest set inside a cave identical to one I'd already cleared inside a base identical to one I'd already cleared. Space is just an inconvenience. Idk, might shelve it and wait for horny mods. To chuckle at, of course

lol

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

They had to remove everything everyone hated. It is supposed to come out in February now lol

$60 for a harley quinn model viewer seems steep but I guess they know their audience

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

weight effects how fast the robot falls

that pronouns guy video but its galileo being pissed about armored core

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Fall damage for gymnastics is killing me because I started with a boost pack and now it’s a force of habit. I have taken 0 in the time I’ve been working on gymnastics.

e: wrt mission reactivity, after you clear the mech factory and find out Ron Hope is the Big Bad, you can’t even talk to the Marshall or Emma about it, despite having a slate with evidence, having talked to them about that character earlier in the questline, etc.

It would be reasonable if they could shout you down or something “do you know who this is?!” “the Board of Governors will be all over my rear end if you try to go through with this”, presenting you with the classic cop movie thing of going rogue, but… nothing.

You can basically never take any action in a quest other than go to the next blue marker, best to just adjust to that reality now.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Have people been able to mod quests in Skyrim and Fallout to add more reactivity? I have no idea how modifying Bethesda games works.

Game mods are for quality of life additions and weird sex stuff for perverts. There's never any meaningful content added through mods in bethesda games, other than Nehrim/Enderal which were total conversions that took years.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Xaris posted:

I don’t really know what embracers game plan was besides sucking up infinite free money from the money spigot under ZIRP, buy assets with 0%, leverage those and buy more and so on, for ??????. passive income off assets??

the death of ZIRP seems like they have no plans left so I expect a bunch of fire sales and big write offs

you just described the plan. the fact that the plan didn't extend past the current quarter didn't matter to the people making it because they weren't the ones who would lose their jobs when embracer shuttered their studios.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

an educated, accomplished, and driven woman with high standards is understandably a deal breaker for most gamers

she's not educated or accomplished she's just space british. i don't think anyone in constellation but the ceo have jobs

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Cuttlefush posted:

his post was very stupid though. f117 would be a terrible attacker to put in the game because it's not going to do any radar stealth poo poo (i dont think any sim does). it'd just be a really lovely plane. shittier than real life even

it's 2023 brother, really lovely military hardware is the way of the future. they should find some way to put in that us navy ship whose ammo never got manufactured in the game

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
drat rebirth looks sick, can't believe it didn't take squeenix eight years to make. That trailer reminded me of that recent crimson desert trailer, except that I actually believe this one represents a real game that exists.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Xaris posted:

I didn't include Remnant games because imo they're more like RNG instanced co-op arena-lite rooting-tootin-lootin schlooter games (or whatever the latest Games buzzword is de jour). like really they're fun for co-op schlooting than an actual soulsy game and actually kinda boring in single-player.

but ok I guess there are a couple more than i thought. i completely agree they're hard to do well but I also don't exactly feel it's been a trend that's been heavily bandwagoned? certainly some have tried and flopped landing face first into the sewer but it's really minute compared to the 100+ games that come out every day.

there's a guy on youtube who makes videos showing off indie/midbudget soulslikes. he does 5-15 games each video. it is currently a 21 video series.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

it's actually because they have grudges against the jocks/chads and don't want to acknowledge that brawn can have value

its this. someone with abs shoved Gary Gygax in a locker in 1954 and society is still feeling the repercussions.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Al! posted:

man the crucifixion quest goes a lot more quickly if you just kill everyone

that's what I did the first time i played that quest, I reloaded because it seemed oddly abrupt even for a cyberpunk gig and I thought i'd bugged it by letting the brother get killed.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

konami delenda est

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

Blue Eyes White Nation

lmao

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

drat, that sucks. Night in the Woods owned, really captured what it feels like to be from a town in the middle of america that has nothing going for it anymore.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Buck Wildman posted:

I played troubleshooters and it was a lot of fun, really in depth character customization like it sounds you're looking for. the plot is auto-translated nonsense so don't do it for that reason but it's some nice meaty tactics and I got a lotta time out of it

they've improved the translation, its now merely dry and stilted instead of borderline-incomprehensible. Troubleshooters owns.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

what did this mean?

seems pretty straightforward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

Blood West got its 1.0 release, any good? Worth $20?

I've played it both during EA and after release. I like a lot about the game but I honestly can't recommend it. During the first map there's a lot of cool items and abilities that seem like they'll enable a lot of different playstyles, the problem is you get to the second map (I think of three total? I fell off during the second) and the difficulty increase destroys most of them. Basically every enemy kills you in two or three hit, and there's no dodge or guard or other form of skill-based mitigation for this, and the second map has massive numbers of enemies. The only viable way to proceed is to focus on stealth, and the stealth gameplay is barebones and boring as hell.

Like there's a berserker tree that heals you 2-3 hp with every melee hit you do, and abilities that boost melee speed or damage, but enemies do 40+ damage per hit in melee and need 2 or 3 hits to kill if you're getting headshots. Ranged isn't in much better of a position because every gun has super slow rate of fire and terrible recoil. So you're left crouchwalking around and stabbing braindead enemies in the back and I got bored of that pretty quick.