Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

KORNOLOGY posted:

what in the name of Jesus is "female surplus"?
# of women there are more than men in that age range, you can tell this by using your eyes.

Weird phrasing, granted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

KORNOLOGY posted:

female :airquote: surplus
There's a "male surplus" too, what's your point? If you assume the population should be 1:1 what word would you use for outliers?

Look up "female surplus" or "male surplua" it's in pretty common use for demographic studies where it's a factor

stringless has issued a correction as of 06:35 on Jul 12, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

cmerepaul posted:

my guess is that insulation protects you from extreme cold and also extreme heat.
Also sunburn

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Took a second. That's a lol from me

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

shackleford posted:

quote:

The first three Yugo vehicles, painted red, white, and blue, were introduced to the U.S. public at the Los Angeles Auto Show in May 1984. The car was promoted with a ten-year/100,000-mile warranty, free maintenance, and a price of only $4,500.
an inflation adjusted price of $13,304

wish i could be a boomer piece of poo poo and treat a $13K asset that comes with "free maintenance" as disposable

now to take a big sip of water and look up the median house price at the time the yugo was introduced

Fake news.

The Yugo was clearly introduced in Q2 1984

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

That is 70 loving dollars a day on doordash.

And only $18 total to White Castle

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

lmao he's just vaguely recalling the bit from Skyfall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yI1hjITn8Q

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The Demilich posted:

Sure bookburning may be detrimental to society at large, but some of those books being lit up are by Ayn Rand, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,
The only book I ever deliberately burned was a copy of Atlas Shrugged I found at a party at a communal house, with the permission of the probable owner of the book.

Only one person complained about what was about to happen, and they stopped when I showed them the cover. (They showed up late, I'd already made clear what book was going into the firepit)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Some cowboy boots just do that, it's a style choice. You can tell he's wearing cowboy boots from the printing below his knee.

"Why is the governor of Florida wearing cowboy boots?" is a silly question in 2023.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Well yeah, he's still wearing lifts

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

not even a culture ai could make my posts good.
At least they'd have gravitas. Maybe.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

FFT posted:

Some cowboy boots just do that, it's a style choice. You can tell he's wearing cowboy boots from the printing below his knee.

"Why is the governor of Florida wearing cowboy boots?" is a silly question in 2023.
Update: I think I found the boots, which have up to a 3.1"/78mm lift

For the low, low price of $690

Also, they're zippered.

stringless has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Oct 8, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Been rewatching SG-1 again as I got my gf into it, in Season 6 they do a recap episode as they bring other countries into the fold due to their military power to face the potential threat of Anubis and reveal the Prometheus and etc

Russia (already part of it)
China (sensible)
France
Britain

lmao

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Pitch posted:

I don't know how they were planning on fighting the aliens, but I think that's a list of the countries that had long-range nuclear missiles at the time.
That tracks, but nukes had already been demonstrated as ineffective against the Goa'uld unless you got through their shielding somehow. Still, getting a nuke on-board was how they won in the movie, so sure.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Leandros posted:

Check out the SG1 thread in GBS btw!
this is violence

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Speleothing posted:

E.T. 2: Brute obviously revolves around mid-50s Elliot (played by the same actor, pay any amount to get him back)
He just played the eldest brother in The Fall of the House of Usher.

i.e.;

change my name posted:

Sorry, this will only work if Mike Flanagan gets the rights

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Return to Oz is an example of one of those whacked out sequel novels actually being made into a movie.
Neverending Story 2 as well, while we're at it.

/e: okay, not technically based on a sequel novel, but still a pretty fuckin' weird sequel based on the latter half of the original novel

stringless has issued a correction as of 13:06 on Dec 27, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

say you're a libertarian without saying you're a libertarian or mentioning age of consent laws
"I deliberately only buy weed from white people"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Nichael posted:

Nancy has seemingly always been secretly good.
Mostly since Olivia James took over in 2018, and the original Bushmiller era.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Nancy is a spin-off of Fritzy Ritz

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Also its view of Central Park says the camera's pointing NE (with the NE quarter of it or so missing), but its view of 1WT says it's pointing SW

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Bald Stalin posted:

That must be so much more incredibly dangerous my god
Well, yeah, it's a two-ton V12 with 690 horsepower that'll do a quarter mile in 10.7 seconds and can supposedly do 200 mph

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

it does look pretty nice tbh

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

does it come in automatic
An 8-speed automatic! only.

pretty sure that's what the dial in the center is for, because that's just what they do now

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

i say swears online posted:

my first car was $1800 and i got it up to 145 which is faster than any human should be driving so i don't see the draw
it's not about what you can do, it's about what you could do. y'know, the implication

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

coldbrew is "anti-accelerationist"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Buck Wildman posted:

the Commonwealth
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, one assumes.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I dunno about "Spanish Black" but the meaning is probably something similar to "black/dark comedy" in the sense of "legendary but not for all audiences" as opposed to a reference to skin color.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

Counterpoint: hardly anyone sells bright purple or lime green cars
dunno how that's a counterpoint but i did see a relatively new car with the classic purple-green pearlescent paint not long ago.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Paladinus posted:

That's just a different pour, relax.

All four are valid.
Bullshit, only the second one is valid. The first one isn't a full glass by any measure, and the third and fourth are perverse. If you want to get the weirdass Euro pour that's mostly head, that's not the glass to pour it in!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Is that a direct quote from the book or did someone do a just absolutely garbage job of copying it?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It's like how the taunting Frenchman pronounced "knights" with a hard K

Zzzzzzzzzionist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

America is also 400 million people spread over most of a continent. I'm pretty sure you can find a couple examples of anything if you look hard enough
Most of Canada isn't really habitable, but it's about 3.8 million square miles just like the USA and makes 4.6 million square miles when combined with Mexico

fact check on "most of a continent": mostly false