Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Good evening, Mechwarriors and observers. Mongoose pilot here, going to attempt to thread the needle to get sight of the mech in 1409, in true scout mech style.

I can get to 0417 or 0518. PTN: Do either of those hexes, 0r 0418, have LOS on 1409?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Captain Foo posted:

Sentinel

I think if I counted correctly, R9 to 0521?

Yep, looks good.

Orders sent, taking 0518 and attempting a snipe.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Theoretically, we could collectively choose to walk off the map and achieve a primary objective turn one.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

painedforever posted:

Oh, you're right!

Good start, good start.

Ummm...

Blackjack

Run up to 1222.

... that's right, right?

Can confirm.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Mongoose

It's been too long since I've had to math out movement through water. 8 walk MP, one elevation change to enter water, move through two subsequent water hexes, one elevation change to exit the water, am I missing any costs or additional factors?

Edit: Other option is the land route. If I end up in 0314 facing north, torso twisting clockwise, what melee options are available to me if any against the mech in 0414?

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 24, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Gwaihir posted:

I think the kicker with water is you can't use running mp if you're entering a water hex on your turn.

Water sucks.

I'm aware. The question is if I can steal a march on that stinger by going that way with the 8 walk MP I'm working with, or if I end up moving slowly and getting my feet wet for no tactical upside.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Ardlen posted:

If you are trying to get to 0514, it should be: 4 hexes traversed + 3 water hexes + 2 elevation changes = 9 mp.

Thanks. Which would be a +1 move mod in a vulnerable position.

Heading to 0314.

Orders submitted.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 24, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Exactly. So, plan B, block LOS from the probably-clint, be out of range of one Stinger and point blank on the other.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Mongoose

Going to double back to 0419 (Denies LOS to the medium and I think the heavy, long range for the other stinger) and see if we can't pin down the pest in our backfield.

How much damage does a Mongoose punch for?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Orders submitted. 0419, harassing the stinger in 0320.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Scintilla posted:

Oof, that Thunderbolt is bad news, especially since the pilot is 3/4. Try not to get in his LOS.

Bad news is good salvage, if we're minded to collect, and if the ammunition doesn't go off. It's a lovely, easy to maintain heavy trooper, and whilst it poses a big threat, that's mitigated by the terrain given we're almost always aces.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I knew the risk I was taking, deemed it worth taking. This turn I get to kick without risk of being kicked and with a better move mod, against the side with the damaged leg.

Orders sent to that effect, taking hex 0725.

PTN: Last turn I was accurately listed as being at heat 1, this turn I generated 18 and sunk 20. Card still shows heat 1.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

painedforever posted:

Should I go for the T-Bolt, or turn around and go for the purple thingy? Because I might have enough movement (I think) to get to 1119 and alpha-strike him.

Agreed with Scintilla. The terrain is our ally against the T-bolt, powerful as it is, it's slow and we can deny it good targets. If we can do that and take out the lighter stuff before it can support them, we can gang up on it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I'm guessing it dealt 4 damage.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
The rear breach is on me for miscounting, but I will quite happily take soloing a similar-tonnage mech and clearing our back field. :black101: So, shall we focus the T-bolt or delete the Stinger first?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Options: I can try to deny LOS to the T-bolt and use the ERLL to plink at the remaining Stinger outside its range, or join in on a T-bolt gang up.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 31, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Orders in. Claiming 0619 and making a start on the Thunderbolt.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Mongoose

Hmm. Hmm.

I can get into position to justice foot the Stinger. Move mod if I do so isn't great and is vulnerable to the T-bolt's missiles. It's a risky ploy especially in a light. But there's nothing really great on in any case. Getting a better move mod and blocking the T-bolt LOS exposes my back and limits my fire, advancing more cautiously doesn't have a significantly better defensive mod.

I'm going to go for it unless there's a great deal of concern from the audience.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Mongoose

Orders in claiming 0317, in crane stance.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
There was an incident in the first thread where a truly superb pilot ripped the cockpit out of a downed mech. Is anything similar feasible here?

Edit: That was a Massive Damage PSR caused by a Mongoose. Entirely worth it. :D

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 7, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
PTN: Can I rip off the top half of the stinger to bring it with? Or some other way of securing the pilot as prisoner? Or drag the whole mech with me?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Awesome, thank you. Do I need to stay in place or can I get a move mod up?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Orders are in.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Welp, that was an execution all right. Not planning on being the first to shoot the incoming, There's always the 'Wait, I can explain!' delaying tactic and any delay gets us further downrange.

Going for 0521 this turn.

Edit: Orders are in. Suggest weapons cold speed high for now.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 9, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just keep in mind: just because the fluff wants to make friends with the Thunderbolt hasn't removed it from the OpForce side of the force list.

Firing orders amended and in.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Ideally we want it to submit and come with. Shooting at it is a convincing distraction vis a vis the false SDLF.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Innocent_Bystander posted:

Could the Blackjack make it by jumping into the river, falling over, and being carried by the currents?

Blackjack's leg is open, the part would flood.

Mongoose

Orders in, weapons cold in recognition of the tentative truce, taking 0427 to give everyone else max room to work in.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 12, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

wedgekree posted:

In theory presuming Goonlance can retreat guess this makes this engagement a draw with a light edge for being able to inflict some kills on the pirates and disengage?

If we get the Thunderbolt pilot as isorla a captive with a certain understanding, this counts as a successful resupply run under the 'Information is ammunition' idiom.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Mongoose

Orders in. Di Di Mao.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
1326 looks like the best bet, as near as I can tell. Denying LOS to most, though Crusader 1 concerns me.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Scintilla posted:

That was a close one! Great job on escaping. It's a shame there probably won't be any salvage, but at least our forces have been preserved.

+1 pilot +1 fully mobile heavy, potentially. The best salvage walks under its own power.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If Ravager is our only current source of potential new clues, it's best to butter her up a bit. Ask her whether she'd prefer to have the Thunderbolt repaired to its current pirate spec or restored to factory, as a sign of good faith.

Exactly this.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's a rough terrain hex, so it's just movement impediment.

The locals didn't have any mines, so they installed rocks.

No surplus machine gun ammo and percussion caps?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah that's a loving royal 1Gb. Fakes shouldn't have those, right?

Isn't the heat dissipation a bit low for a 1Gb? Could be a 1Gbc. Not just Royal tech but This year's Royal tech.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
It's eclectic. Two Concordat export models, a ubiquitous dangerous medium, and a very exclusive assault. How's the Falcon fall on that range?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

TheParadigm posted:

looking at the sprite are we sure that isn't a mislabeled warhammer?

Warhammers are 15 tons lighter, and the vast majority of its spicy variants of the era retain the SRM. The one that doesn't has too many lasers for the record sheet we have in any case.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Getting a few kicks against a busted gyro can't hurt either, but that hunchie is a problem.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
One submunition, one point of damage, took out life support, cockpit and sensors. Through armor. 'Nice shot' barely begins to cover it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Looking at the Hunchback, it has a remarkably even damage spread across both sides. Everything is very thin, however. I'd suggest angling for the right side as that leg is exposed and a mobility kill is just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
1d Who wants vengeance?