Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I think I'd love a battletech where aftermarket rednecking of your mechs wasn't hard, but encouraged and supported (lore and ruleswise).

Medium laser broke? Go nuts with dumb attachments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Ardlen posted:

That Streak SRM-2 just cannot get enough ammo explosions!

:black101:
That 'srm-2 for up close punch' will never ever get old anymore.

The up close punch ticket was punched, my dudes.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

berryjon posted:

I'm looking at that map, and now I'm worried about a Light with a Jump of 7 or 8 who can get in and out of the ravine in a single move.

Into the mechaspiderverse!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

..did it hit the leg and get blocked by cover?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

That cheeky lampshading in the fluff. You're giving scintilla run for their money :allears:

So its remnants of clan wolveriner is it? I wonder what this means for the plot!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I feel like there's two options for what to do: Report back about the impostors -immediately- and make it the wider sldf's problem.

OR

strike while the iron's hot and develop leads while we're still on planet.

I'm voting for the second! mostly because delivering the pirate right to the sldf's doorstep would be a bit of a disservice and if we leave, we lose a chance to act on what she/he knows.

I think the Clint suite makes the most sense on the Hoplite, actaully or saved to (maybe) put on the tbolt: If you want to increase a pirate's reliance on highly trained technical crew, then, well, making it a pain to maintain does that. a ball and chain, not of gold, but circuits and steel. The hoplite because it leans on Grandpa's already impressive gunnery: An ac10 on slug is still 10 damage a pop. Who wouldn't want a ppc with a bonus?
I also think it would be a clutch upgrade for the sentinel, as it addresses the main problem with the ac5: its not an ac10, & it has to hit consistently and regularly to be a good gun. (it does have 10 damage output in ultra mode tho!)

PoptartsNinja posted:

I just don't want to offer "add medium lasers" as the only overhaul options.

is there any reason small pulses aren't more popular as a swap-in? I'm pretty sure they're star league era. You'd figure with the amount of complaining about machine guns, any mech with two mg's and a ton of ammo would have some tech eying an MPL/2spl refit option. Or, are those considered cheesier because of the to hit bonuses?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 21, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

new iceland! go big and go home

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Volmarias posted:

So, uh, what do the locals even have?

A surprise gundam in an underground elevator!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Blackjack here.

Same question - which hex am I in to start? I see a handy sprite on the enemy cards, but not my own.

Process of elimination.. 0208, left side, in the rear?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Man, thats a badass sprite for a .. blackjack. Cheers.

Ptn, do you mind if I put in an order sprinting movement? I'm thinking get as far ahead-field as I can on the first turn.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Dragon’s Teeth 3-1 Blackjack Orders

Sprint (10mp) to 1012 facing 1113 (straight forward)
If sprint is disallowed, 0811 facing 0912 instead .

Both positions look to be fairly limited in incoming fire, so i'm all for getting into the thick of it faster.

Further question: do those roads do anything for mechs, or are they for cars only?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

nice fluff and good shot!

does the red outlined rubble looking hex in 1315 provide cover like a forest, or is it just a movement impediment?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Hah! okay.

Blackjack

I was originally thinking a rush to 1515. I'm not sure if I want to give the unknown#1 that good a shot though. Any suggestions? (it looks like it'll be me shooting on 6's and them on 8's there if i do, tho). Their piloting is bad though, so maybe I take the risk/hope of a massive damage knockdown?
Anyone want to help dogpile them if so?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

Sentinel

I think I can swing around to 0920 and get some shots in at the mech in 1816?

I think it'd be better if you went and helped our ally with the battlemaste and hunchback. 0920 won't have shots/los due to all the forest hexes in the way, anyhow.

0622 gets you shots on either, admittedly with some partial cover?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Hoplite

I'm heading to 1410 to prep for hopping up on the berm firing position the following turn. I can lob a max range shot at the battlemaster, but that's about it.

E: crap I can only make it to 1409, and I have neither range nor los. Ah well.

I think you two might want to switch game plans since the mongoose can make it up to 1513 (or up the other side via 1610->1720) this turn;(but it may be better out in the field); but i figured both of you may want to run straight out and engage. How do you(hoplite) feel about 1808 and shooting the other unknown/talon?

Otherwise, i think 2209 is an okay move for the mongoose. It lets you shoot medium 1 at 9 hexes, but puts tons of forests in the way of the other shots. I don't think 2310 is great even if you can make it there when you consider what it does to your shots.

I'm not feeling great if its just me running out and taking shots; but I'll do it if you do.

Overall, I think its on us(mongoose, hoplite, blackjack) to handle the top 3 mechs then swing south.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 14, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Cool, then I'll do the same. Lets get their attention!

orders are as follows:
Blackjack
Run to 1515 facing 1615
Shoot the talos in 1816(range 2, the one right in my face) with 6 medium lasers + 1 flamer please

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 14, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

edit: early enter while still typing. one moment for the real post!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

PTN’s note: Had three players brave enough to write their guesses about the OpForce into their orders; which is the only time I’ll change a ‘Mech’s name from “unknown.” Just be careful, I will gladly name change even if you’re wrong. :ssh:

Haha, I only used it because the thread did. I'll keep that in mind going forward!

There's a potentially hilarious move for the mongoose to run straight down to 2319 and large laser the hunchback in the rear. Its long odds, though. 18 hexes, so... hit on 10's i think, including the stabilized quirk.

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah we need to get these AC10s off the board. I'm going to ping it with cluster ammo to try and crit that gun off now that the armor is gone.

Gwaihir, I'm thinking I was going to do 2212 and help dunk on talos #2.
Maybe if you shoot after me, you'll get lucky on the with the lb cluster?

I'm not sure if that affects your movement decisions; a walk to 2210 looks OK, but I think maybe its not worth staying still just on the virtue of having grounds to cover.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

looking at the sprite are we sure that isn't a mislabeled warhammer?

I thought battlemasters were mostly torso lasers and one arm gun; the double big rear end peep is a warhammer thing.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

MG's don't do a ton of damage. its 2 damage (so 4 potential), and iirc there might be a targeting/secondary targets penalty for using rear guns. In addition, their long range is 3 and medium is 2, so just moving and keeping a bit of distance makes it pretty hard for them to hit. With the wood hexes in the way and MG's at medium, you're probably as safe as possible.
Also, you probably have 4 points of armor to spare in case they DO connect.

remember, if you want to kick the talos, you'll need to face 2612, but you should have the mp for that. It might also be worth it to use running move to get to the same spot, but take a 5 hex path there for the extra defense.

However, I thought you were talking about going after talos #2 by moving to 2215, which is also a good move!

If it helps you decide, i'm committing to talos 1 and hoping to pave the way for the hoplite to do some crits.

blackjack
run to 2212 facing 2312
Shoot the talos in 2512 (3 hexes away) with 6 medium lasers and one flamer.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Good luck! We're rooting for you!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

just hang on until the mongoose can get (to) you!

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 16, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

I haven’t even considered running to his aid as an option to be honest.

I probably should have done that instead of starting to dance with these other fellows

Thats part of why I was hoping you'd go dunk on the southmost talos! you're pretty fast so as long as you like, go down southward a bit every turn, you should get the chance to swap dance partners.

biosterous posted:

torso twist does affect the firing arc for physical attacks (when applicable) and punches can hit the side arcs (with one arm) so it would be a very spicy move

That doesn't seem too bad tho, since the ppc's are arm mounted, right? so its a choice between firing and punching. But those are ER ppc's, which have no min range, so ...

Which is worse, the punch or the shot? My gut says its probably being shot.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Wow, that'll teach me to forget alternate shooting targets. Nice work, mongoose! Its funny, I thought you were going after the other one!

Gwaihir posted:

I think we continue to just take pieces of the board, I normally never turret up this hard, but I'm thinking to just sit and blast this light in front of me. I hit on 5s, he needs 6es, my right arm is a little thin but against a medium and 2 small lasers I think that's a fine set of dice to roll.

I'm thinking a reverse to 1915 or a run to 2016? I don't see anything better on first glance so if you want to paste the light, go for it.

Mongoose has shots from 2520 if you want to disengage and crest the hill.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Well, we're gonna have to charge down to save the sentinel soon and hope the hunchie whiffs.

Blackjack
I'm going to 2016 to shoot the talos and committing to 1923 next turn.
Maybe weaken it a bit for the hoplite next turn.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 20, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Ardlen posted:

I think you're going to be 1 mp shy of making it to 2016.

You are correct. I missed 1mp on a turn. urgh.

Edit:corrected orders sent in

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 20, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

What does automatic upper mean in the context of crits?

This is an educated guess because I don't know offhand, but locations in the papermodel chart are typically 6 or 12 locations to correspond to 'actually being able to be hit'. so you coinflip for 'upper or lower hit chart', but if there's nothing there, it just goes to the only possible location.
IE, you only have 1-6 slots of crittables.

Also, woof. now to figure out where to go. I could use some advice - I have an inling, but its high risk/reward

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

remind me: its 3 wood hexes to block line of sight, right?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

I can just head to 1607 and continue pummeling the light out of existence. I think the rest of north side crew should start focusing the southern targets, I can clean up this light now and you guys can go help the sentinel out quicker than I can.

Yeah, 3 light woods or 1 light + 1 heavy.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if i could break los with 2412. Unfortunately doing so means I get such bad shots on the falcon its an automatic miss.

Second question, in terms of incoming fire, if I want to emphasize a right side, would an incoming shot from (using my current position as an example) 2114 and 2115 be different? I don't know my hit location facing/tables that well. I know front-on is different; but I don't know if part right or hard right is substantailly diffrent.

Also re:1607. Its an elevation change so reverse doesn't work.
1510 does tho.

I wouldn't say no to some help with the talos tho. its a slugging match right now. You sure you can take the falcon alone?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

I'll admit the Talos is in a bit of a rough spot for me. I think the best I could do would be to run to 2214 or 2316 and see if my ER laser can land a shot. I might have screwed myself a little bit putting myself in the woods. But I've scored a hit with worse odds, it still might work out for me.

how do you feel about a walk to 2012? you get 5 hexes of defensive move, a forest in the way, and range 6. This means your'e at least not in optimal range of the big gun (the falcon has no shot on you either).

I think my best move is backing up to 1616 and finding the srm ammo, and any extra damage helps knock it down.

2012 also would put you in a position to run south as far as 1924 next turn. Don't knock a potential 11 hex move mod! i was mistaking 2012 for 1913, whoops, sorry

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 23, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Blackjack

Oofh. I feel like i'm stuck between an ac10 and a heat place, and slowly losing this fight. if anything touches that LT, even an srm..

I have a few moves I can see. 2014 to break contact; 1318 for a +2 defensive mod but exposing me to the falcon, or 1817 and committing to the brawl/maybe melee.

Mongoose, how do you feel about taking a run at the talos's rear armor? (1719) (its an 8 hex move so you'd have a great move modifier; and with the 2 forests in the way, you're basically unhittable from the battlemaster. range 7 from the hunch means you're 'basically' safe from the big gun there too, ie, its at +7)

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 28, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The battlemaster doesn't have a shot on you from there due to a height 2 hex in 1621! it can't actually shoot you due to blocked line of sight. (edit, i think. this is something worth asking for a clarification on!)

... i almost didn't see it either, and had to change what i was gonna say. my backup offer was 'how do you feel about trying to shoot it from the front, then(1816), but I don't think its as good.

edit:looks like it does clip 1621

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 28, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Blackjack

thanks for the backup. its a gamble; I'm going all in on the talos, since it needs to go down this turn.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Wow those dice. i got beyond lucky.

Now the question is: the hunchback or the battlemaster first?

I would also like to request a LOS check. Does the hunchback have one forest in the way, or two, shooting at 1815? It looks like it clips 1816 but I can't really tell.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

Mongoose

Those back attacks are lethal! That's Talos #2 (or 1 I guess) down thanks to a lucky ammo explosion, and the poor Falcon losing its Gyro to out Hoplite. Speaking of the Falcon, does that quality as a captive for us? Or do we need to take one of the two remaining mechs alive for it to count?

Either way, I'm ready to continue my role as the madlad who's shooting people's spines out. I can get behind the enemy Battlemaster if I sprint, landing in either 1924 or 1824. I really, really want to get directly behind it for that sweet back attack, but I confess I'm slightly worried about it turning around and punching my head off or something. I don't really have a plan beyond that, but getting behind them would make it really easy for me to continue nipping at their heels for the rest of the fight.
Yeah they are! Great job!

The good news is both those hexes are outside the hunchback's arc! it can't bring the big gun to bear there. The bad news is the battlemaster's ppc's are ER versions with no minimum and the short goes out to seven. The good news is, they're arm mounted, so they won't be able to punch and shoot you. The bad news is you're probably taking at least one to the (preferrably not) face if you go there, maybe get another +1 from secondary target, and maybe it takes aim at the sentinel instead of you.

I think i agree going for a speedy close is probaly the way to go, though.

Gwaihir posted:

So I think if I post up on 1612, I should be shooting from a high enough position to pass over the trees in 1717/18? Unless the enemy battlemaster is actually hiding out in the trees themselves?
Its hard to tell with the noise on the map, but the hunchback's on height 1 hills right now. 1210 has clear shots at both of them. Range 16 by my eye, but the hunch has no defensive move mod right now either.

its not often you get to take a ranging shot like that on 7's.
I don't think they can maneuver out of it, either, in a way you can't fix with a step to 1211. That hill to your left has a pretty wide range field of fire.

I think I pretty much know my move, and I'm gonna try to get their attention(both), and give you room to work. 1815 gets me at medium/long range from the big guns, and thats all i can ask right now.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 2, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

blackjack
orders are in! Was there someone else besides me that still needs orders?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I was gonna start working on the hunchback!

However, I just noticed I can get to 1921 and put everything in the battlemaster's back. Maybe we go for a forced shutdown from heat to end things off? Hopefully aided by an engine crit or two?

But, we might want to finish the hunchie first, in case they decide to do 'no survivors' and turn on the battlemaster rather than let it get captured.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

Mongoose

I knew I was playing with fire, so I can’t really complain about being burned. But also owwwww!

As I’ve now joined the pixel health club,

Nothing builds solidarity like 'my lt is so open if you blow on it the arm falls off'!

But yeah! this is what i was saying about TMM/defensive move mods! If you can get 7 hexes moved in a turn, you get the +3 to not get shot. Its also why i backed up to range 8!

2424 is a good one, but running around behind it before sliding in so you're faster/tougher. If you wind around a bit to 2322 by going through 2125, you can get seven hexes traveled.

you'll have to decide if you want to shoot at 7 hexes with the er large's short range, or the medium(8+), as that range bracket is shared with the erppc. You can trade better because you're faster, and I think if you settle whether you want risk(short range) or caution(medium), the turn will write itself.

Quick question: the destroyed battlemech in 1617 is a 1mp tax to move through right? (so 1 hex, 1 forest, one difficult terrain, +- a turn?)

I think my turn's settled, tho. 2019 and going into the hunchback.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not, no. I'm not using that optional rule this time, 'Mechs don't take up much actual space in each hex.

Cheers, thanks. I was expecting to turtle up in the smoke, or give cover to the franknenbanshee, and how quickly plans change!

Also, for the GLW, i made a little mock-up to illustrate what i meant about MP and swinging wide as opposed to running straight where you want to go earlier. 7 hexes of defense is a lot better than 4, which is what you get going straight in. Tldr, serpentine!

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Would someone please remind me how reverse/flippy arm bits work? You can't have a lower arm actuator, and there's a small penalty, right?

(I was trying to remember if the blackjack actually has arm arcs or not, and can't tell at first glance from the sheet)