Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Glad to have you back PTN. Using the last days of the Star League as a setting opens up some exciting possibilities for the future, and I can't wait to see where the story goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Anyway if it isn't already obvious to everyone I think the vehicles are a bog-standard Galleon and a SRM-variant Heavy Tracked APC. You might end up with a platoon of infantry on the field at some point.

I feel deeply sorry for any infantry unfortunate enough to stumble into range of the Blackjack 1X's four Flamers. :supaburn:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Hey PTN, what's the CF of the shelters?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

Buildings are displayed as [Construction Factor][Height] so they're Light and Height 1

Cool, then it shouldn't be too hard to bring them down if the players opt to destroy them. The OpFor looks pretty manageable, but this is Battletech after all.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

And now I'm at a total loss and need to re-assess. I had one unit that was just flat-out tougher than everything else on the field and it just exploded.

Ha, almost exactly the same thing happened to the Whitworth in the first mission of my LP. As then, this mission might wind up being a bit shorter than anticipated!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The APC(?) stayed put so it's an easy target. It might not be the highest priority, but if it is carrying infantry it might be worth trying to blow it up before they can deploy.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I see PTN's dice are as bloodthirsty as ever. :black101:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

Javelin?
- Launches a Death From Above attack on Hoplite (5 piloting + 2 piloting skill difference + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 11, hit! Deals 12 total damage in 3 clusters to Center Torso (21/26 armor remaining), Left Arm (13/18 armor remaining), Head (7/9 armor remaining (Pilot hit!))!
- Hoplite must pass a 3+ piloting test: rolled 4, succeeds!
- Hoplite must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 2 suffered a DFA attack = 5): rolled 6, succeeds!
- - Hoplite displaced into hex 0605!
- Javelin? suffers 8 total damage in 2 clusters dealing 5 damage to Right Leg (8/10 structure remaining) and 3 damage to Left Leg (7/10 structure remaining)!
- -Javelin? suffers a critical chance in Right Leg: rolled 7, no critical hit sustained!
- -Javelin? suffers a critical chance in Left Leg: rolled 8, 1 critical hit sustained! Rolled 4: Foot actuator destroyed!
- Javelin? must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 1 actuator damage + 1 suffered 20 damage in 1 phase + 4 successful DFA = 11): rolled 7, fails on its back in hex 0604, facing hex 0705!
- Javelin? must pass a piloting test to avoid pilot damage (5 base + 1 actuator damage + 1 suffered 20 damage in 1 phase + 4 successful DFA + 2 avoiding pilot damage = 13): automatic failure!
- Javelin? must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 7, succeeds!
- Javelin? suffers 8 damage in a fall dealing 5 damage to Left Leg and 3 damage to Head (Pilot hit! TAC!)
- - Javelin? must pass a 5+ consciousness test: rolled 9, succeeds!
- - Javelin? suffers a through-armor critical chance in Head: rolled 8, 1 critical hit sustained! Rolled 1, Life Support destroyed!

DeathFromAbove.txt

Great job guys, you've nearly brought it home. That Whitworth shouldn't last long now, its back is totally exposed. Even if it manages to survive the shooting phase, a few good kicks should finish it off.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Great work guys, you really showed those pirates the power and might of the SLDF.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Voted to train and focus on recovery. Reassigning our mechwarriors doesn't seem productive at this point, nor does grabbing a spare mech from storage.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Voting for the Sniper SPA and to Dine at the Captain's Table. The Sniper skill is extremely good since it halves all range penalties. I'm also interested in the Unknown SPA mystery box, plus it's an opportunity to network with the senior officers.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Breadmaster posted:

Return of Ikuta Glacier

That's no bad thing, Ikuta Glacier was one of the best missions of that LP.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I hope the players push some poor fool off one of the cliffs and into the river.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Okay, so we've got three jumpy yet fragile mechs combined with something slower but potentially much tougher / more heavily armed.

Unfortunately the Stingers and Clint are jumpy bastards who are better able to navigate the broken terrain. If they want to be particularly prickish they can play whack-a-mole and try to wear you guys down until the fourth guy shows up. I'd suggest focusing them down one by one, starting with 'Icepick'. 'Insect' has pre-existing damage, but he's jumped behind a pillar and getting LOS to him will be tricky.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

biosterous posted:

am i mathing the elevation correct and unknown #4 used 8 MP to run those four tiles? literally just want to make sure i have the rules in my head correctly since i'm still learning

Either that or he jumped four hexes.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Oof, that Thunderbolt is bad news, especially since the pilot is 3/4. Try not to get in his LOS.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

painedforever posted:

Should I go for the T-Bolt, or turn around and go for the purple thingy? Because I might have enough movement (I think) to get to 1119 and alpha-strike him.

I'd go to 1119 and Alpha the Clint. It has a low move mod and a head hit from any of your weapons will take it out instantly.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Great job Goon Lance, that's two down. The Thunderbolt is still a threat, but at least now you won't have to worry as much about being flanked.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

AJ_Impy posted:

Mongoose

Hmm. Hmm.

I can get into position to justice foot the Stinger. Move mod if I do so isn't great and is vulnerable to the T-bolt's missiles. It's a risky ploy especially in a light. But there's nothing really great on in any case. Getting a better move mod and blocking the T-bolt LOS exposes my back and limits my fire, advancing more cautiously doesn't have a significantly better defensive mod.

I'm going to go for it unless there's a great deal of concern from the audience.

Go for it. Think of the glory.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Two of those newcomers are definitely piloting Taloses, which are Periphery mechs and IIRC not something the Star League ever used. There's definitely something off about this whole situation, so be cautious.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

biosterous posted:

we have found the ancestor of Harathi Vraman from Scintilla's thread :allears:

It's like the Joestar family secret technique, only it applies to pratfalls.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Z the IVth posted:

The other descendent ended up in the clans piloting that quad the spontaneously fell apart without even being shot at.

For those who need a reminder of that glorious moment, this is the update where it happens.

quote:

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
David

- Activates MASC! Must pass a 6+ roll to avoid damage: rolled 4, fails!
- Critical chance in Right Front Leg: rolled 7, no critical hits sustained!
- Critical chance in Left Front Leg: rolled 12, leg blown off!
- Critical chance in Right Rear Leg: rolled 9, 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Hip actuator damaged!
- Critical chance in Left Rear Leg: rolled 12, leg blown off! `Mech destroyed!

The mech was otherwise almost completely untouched.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Yeah, now is definitely the time to try and make nice with the Thunderbolt and run.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
If retreating simply involves reaching the southern map border then every player unit except the Blackjack can escape next turn. The Blackjack might have a bit more difficulty thanks to being further back and all the broken terrain around it.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
This is going to be a close one. The Blackjack will probably make it as long as its left leg doesn't take a hit, but there are a lot of cluster weapons pointed in its direction...

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
That was a close one! Great job on escaping. It's a shame there probably won't be any salvage, but at least our forces have been preserved.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Bloody Pom posted:

I personally wouldn't phone home until we have solid evidence of some kind of plot. If our suspicions aren't airtight then our boneheaded nepobaby of a First Lord is likely to sweep it under the rug. And if we play our hand too early, everybody's favorite Kublai Khan cosplayer might decide to bring his schedule forward.

Provided things are proceeding in line with the original timeline, we have about two years before things go to poo poo in the Concordat and divert the SLDF's attention away from Terra. Tick tock.

This is basically my view as well. As frustrating as it is, we really don't have enough solid evidence to support our suspicions. If we report back now, we'll just be fobbed off and/or slated for assassination.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Chronojam posted:

We could ask with which forces they bid defend themselves

What if they dare to refuse our batchall?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Aside from le funny name, Crotch seems like the easiest option for getting the drop on the fake SLDF. The terrain favours an ambush and will hopefully help us get a first strike, and if the fake SLDF are recruiting from local pirate groups then it's possible the other pirates will know more about their motives. We'll probably have to put the Mongoose into storage, but I think that's a sacrifice worth making.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ally teaser.

Even with its laundry list of negative quirks, I'd still take this over the stock Banshee every time. :v:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
The map looks interesting. The defenders have a strong position, but there are also plenty of avenues for an attacker to approach. If the attackers do have a Fortress there might be artillery to watch out for. I assume the lines are roads buried in the snow?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Bloody Pom posted:

So, that's a Battlemaster, an AC/20 Hunchback, two Talos, and... something. I can't for the life of me think of a 30-tonner with rear-facing MGs.

It's probably a Falcon FLC-4N.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Oof, Colonel Wendigo is going to be overwhelmed very quickly if he doesn't get support. Someone should definitely head down towards him to try and take some of the pressure off.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Nooo, Wendigo, what are you doing? :eek: Giving a Hunchback a clear shot at your rear armour is one of the worst things you can possibly do.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Octatonic posted:

So I was looking at mech sheets. What do 'standard' and 'fusiom' engines mean in this era of Battletch? I thought mechs were always powered by fusion engines?

There are many different types of engines that mechs and vehicles can use in battletech. In the current time period these are the common ones:

Standard Fusion Engine - The basic engine that most mechs use.

XL Fusion Engine - An advanced engine that weighs 50% less than a Standard Fusion Engine, but takes up more space. As well as the six centre torso slots, an XL Engine takes up three additional slots in the left and right torso sections, meaning if those sections are destroyed the mech suffers an engine failure and becomes inoperable. This can be considered an acceptable trade-off since it means the mech has more free weight for extra guns / armour / speed.

Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) - A very heavy engine that uses petrol / gasoline / other combustible fuels. Quite primitive, don't produce enough juice to power weapons without special power amplifiers. Lots of vehicles use these, but you also find them on IndustrialMechs.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Nick Buntline posted:

the colonel has lived a long and presumably full life, so we should accept his apparent battle strategy of "aggressively facing away from the only surviving enemies on the map" for what it is and take this opportunity to start marking plans for the funeral. do you think he will have wanted lilacs?

Yeah, he definitely has a death wish. The players should probably assume that particular secondary objective is a wash.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
This looks like crunch time to me. The Battlemaster's rear is wide open, but it could easily bring a player or two down with it, especially since it has the Multi-Tasker SPA. Unfortunately I think you guys will just have to take the risk - between it and the Hunchback the fake SLDF still have more than enough firepower to win the engagement. Let's pray for another Streak SRM-2 miracle!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Scintilla posted:

The Battlemaster's rear is wide open, but it could easily bring a player or two down with it, especially since it has the Multi-Tasker SPA.

I hoped I would be wrong about this. :sigh:

Not sure what to suggest. The Battlemaster has put itself in a position where getting accurate shots at its rear is very difficult. Focusing on just surviving the next turn might be the best play.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It would have been nice to get that intact cockpit, but under the circumstances I think Goonlance can consider that exchange an absolute win. A mostly intact Royal Battlemaster is one hell of a piece of salvage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

glwgameplayer posted:

Mongoose

uuuuuuuuuuuugh....

I'm torn between just walking into the woods and unloading another volley or attempting some sort of clever flanking maneuver. Winning this fight is basically a foregone conclusion but the question is how thoroughly we get mauled on the way down.

Honestly, I think now is the time to go all-in. Most of the Hunchback's armour has been shot away and its right leg is extremely vulnerable. If everyone does their best to maximise their accuracy mods it shouldn't survive another turn. Losing another mech is a valid concern, but IMO that would still be a worthwhile exchange - the Battlemaster is fully salvageable, and we still have other mechs that can be brought out of storage.