Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
First thread of its kind discussing this biosphere collapse happening.

Thought it would be pertinent for any news and stats of this on going issue be discussed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

piss

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

how about that sea ice

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gotta make a quip on the first page of all these for posterity

But this won't be the thread that makes it

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Doom

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
threads closing faster than anticipated

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

0 rows returned posted:

how about that sea ice

Most of the ice on Greenland is melting but we gotta use our most strong human mechanism for coping with disasters, just ignoring bad things and using The Secret to guide our life.

The Secret is what most posters are subscribed to that want the threads closed down because they beleive that thinking about bad things manifests bad things into the universe. Literal Peekaboo logic.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
There was something about a giant sun spot destroying the Earth tomorrow in the last thread right before it closed. please advise?

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

UwU
https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/climate-nears-point-no-return-land-sea-temperatures-break-records-experts-2023-06-30/

quote:

SINGAPORE, June 30 (Reuters) - The target of keeping long-term global warming within 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 Fahrenheit) is moving out of reach, climate experts say, with nations failing to set more ambitious goals despite months of record-breaking heat on land and sea.
'QUADRUPLE WHAMMY'
High land temperatures have been matched by those on the sea, with warming intensified by an El Nino event and other factors.

Global average sea surface temperatures hit 21C in late March and have remained at record levels for the time of year throughout April and May. Australia's weather agency warned that Pacific and Indian ocean sea temperatures could be 3C warmer than normal by October.

Global warming is the major factor, said Piers Forster, professor of climate physics at the University of Leeds, but El Nino, the decline in Saharan dust blowing over the ocean and the use of low-sulphur shipping fuels were also to blame.

"So in all, oceans are being hit by a quadruple whammy," he said. "It's a sign of things to come."

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We already started hitting 1.5 intermittently lol

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
this is the thread, look at the rap sheet of the OP

we're so fuckign back

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've just been informed that everything is fine.

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

UwU

1glitch0 posted:

There was something about a giant sun spot destroying the Earth tomorrow in the last thread right before it closed. please advise?

I haven't seen any news about a sun spot that erupted recently directly towards earth, but there is sources stating that the sun is going to reach solar maximum two years earlier than expected. There is a lot more sun spots than normal which is why they expect more flares to hit in general.

https://www.businessinsider.com/solar-maximum-could-sooner-than-expected-2023-6

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

1glitch0 posted:

just ride it out man, it'll happen if it happens

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpDJlEQsDoA

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Jizzny Princess posted:

I haven't seen any news about a sun spot that erupted recently directly towards earth, but there is sources stating that the sun is going to reach solar maximum two years earlier than expected. There is a lot more sun spots than normal which is why they expect more flares to hit in general.

https://www.businessinsider.com/solar-maximum-could-sooner-than-expected-2023-6

whatever, gently caress the radio anyway

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
thx op, sorry about your incoming perma but we do have a tradition to maintain with the climate threads

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

err posted:

this is the thread, look at the rap sheet of the OP

we're so fuckign back

let's goooo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

cash crab posted:

lol if the big one ever hits we're gonna all have to post via mail or carrier pigeon or something

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

UwU

cash crab posted:

I'm going to miss using the internet on my refrigerator

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Spaceweather has a thing about the cme. Also this post has a really neato picture of the spot.

https://vmst.io/@WestportObservatory/110628575553251761

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
p sure goons have developed internet via ham radio technology which will still work when all normal computers liquify because of solar flares
e:

quote:

BIG SUNSPOT ALERT: One of the biggest #sunspots in years is directly facing Earth. #AR3354 is ten times wider than Earth and about 1/3rd the size of the historical #Carrington sunspot. It's so big that observers in Europe and North America see it naked-eye through the smoke of Canadian #wildfires. Earth-directed #flares are likely in the days ahead. Spaceweather.com for more.

Image: Sunspot AR3354 seen through a smokey sunset on June 28th Credit: Jean-Baptiste Feldmann of Gleizé, France

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

SniperWoreConverse posted:

threads closing faster than anticipated

I read that as threads closing fatter than anticipated

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

UwU

silicone thrills posted:

Spaceweather has a thing about the cme. Also this post has a really neato picture of the spot.

https://vmst.io/@WestportObservatory/110628575553251761

That is one insane photo of those sunspots.

Thanks for the link. I had zero luck finding information and didn't think to check spaceweather.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
new thread, new biosphere

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat i got it wrong (i am posting in cspam tho)

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

[Biosphere Collapse 2023] QUADRUPLE WHAMMY

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!
Climate shifted. Cock+balls dried up and fell off shortly after. New normal?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
the old title was better but i shall bow to the whims of the free marketplace of threads

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

SorePotato posted:

Climate shifted. Cock+balls dried up and fell off shortly after. New normal?

tell me more

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

UwU

SniperWoreConverse posted:

p sure goons have developed internet via ham radio technology which will still work when all normal computers liquify because of solar flares
e:

I was under the impression that ham radio technology wouldn't survive a large solar flare burst hitting earth.

Maybe we can hook up a tin cans and string internet.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
prob nothing electronic will make it if a record breaker hits but hey some old rear end in a top hat with a vacuum tube can probably pull it off

really obliterating all computers and electrical infrastructure is one of the few things that could maybe do something? guess it depends what side of the planet gets fried

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

i'm not trusting any of this until i see hubbert

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
best we can do is hibbert

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk_sAHh9s08

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

lol, lmao

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
drat how did I miss this

Well, my OP's better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

err posted:

Any book I see recommended here, I download.

The Ends of the World: Volcanic Apocalypses, Lethal Oceans, and Our Quest to Understand Earth's Past Mass Extinctions is my favorite so far
wanted to say thanks for recommending this book,

read it last month and gently caress, jesus fuckin christ lmao