Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

Escape Room and Escape Room 2: Tournament of Champions

Probably two of the dumbest movies I've seen recently but it's saved by some really good set design and the fact that you can never really trust the movies.

Escape Room 2 doesn't go far enough with the premise I feel but it couldn't really live up to that sequel teaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Flying Zamboni posted:

Not sure where else to post about this but figured people here might think this is cool.

There's a YouTube channel called British Cryptids (1974) that makes short films about fictional cryptids that are made in the style of 70's British television programming. They're pretty well made but update infrequently. They just uploaded a new video today as part of a parallel series called "Man's Unknowable World" that I thought was pretty was good.

They're all short watches and have a good spooky vibe to them.

I watched the Yeti one months back and had no idea they made more, stupid Youtube. This is definitely up there with Fake Documentary Q!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Uncle Sam looks quite feminine here.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Can't forget Annabelle.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i also watched Evil Dead Rise last night which was similarly a pretty bad movie with one great performance (Alyssa Sutherland).

Had similar thoughts, what a face, man.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

What's everyone's comfort horror? I'm going through some rough stuff medically right now and I've been rewatching all the Corman Poe movies. The whole vibe of these movies just makes me feel good.

House by the Cemetery, Scarecrows, The Gate

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Ah gently caress. Let me copy paste

he goes on to say that, on the other hand, the teams on Doctor Sleep, Ouija: Origin of Evil, and Gerald’s Game were all actually fantastic and really helped improve and protect the work, so it’s not all bad. but funny trivia for the Mikeheads

Read this thread this morning and was laughing my rear end off, there's nothing you could say about studio execs that's too unbelievable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chris James 2 posted:

Especially today, when it came out their last real attempt at preventing actors from going on strike was to offer to scan background actors' likeness, keep that scan legally forever, and pay the actor for one day of work for it https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/13/23794224/sag-aftra-actors-strike-ai-image-rights

These people steering the ship is frightening.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

fr0id posted:

This may be an old debate but whatever. I hate art the clown from terrifier and & 2. He’s way too misogynistic and brutal to women for me to find him funny. His goofy scenes are undercut by how absolutely brutal and awful he is. It’s like if the funny games killers were delightful protagonists. I don’t like it. I get the joke. I do. I love horror movies. Art just feels like something else. Like the internet shock image has lead to this. No judgment on people who like it. I get how it’s entertaining. I dunno. I’m a hypocrite because all horror villains are brutally killing people. Art just feels like he’s more about witnessing suffering than witnessing a creative kill.

I think the main problem is that it lays it a little too bare how lame and played out the slasher concept is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

On one hand, I love evil kid movies (including ghost kids) but the words 'Buzzfeed Studios' were honestly the most chilling part of the trailer.

Busted out laughing at that.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Similarly, the 2020 version of The Turning sorta sucked but the music over the end credits was cooler than the entire rest of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntuxbiyPvLI

This tune plus the end credits made me think immediately that it was always intended to be a TV mini, and that these were the opening or closing credits of the show.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 21, 2023

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

rewatching Malignant and it made me wonder: what are your guys’ favorite Monster’s Workbench scenes?

I’m thinking Insidious… Jeepers Creepers… what am I missing?

Various scenes in MAY.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm sure Talk To Me is gonna be alright but man that trailer is bad. A24 usually has their poo poo together in this regard.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Remember that movie Nerve with Dave Franco and Emma Roberts? Mind you, I like that movie, but it looks like that or the Flatliners remake.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Anyone see Cobweb?

Yes and it is BIZARRE, way weirder than The Devil Inside sending you to a website at the very end.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Well now I'm intrigued!

It's yet another movie that really comes across as though it was originally conceived as a streaming series. That's not all bad necessarily, Mulholland Drive is famously constructed from partial pilot pitched to ABC, I believe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
English, I did not even know there was a Korean Cobweb.

Oh, wait you mean the movie submitted to Cannes, not that one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol can u link me the imdb or lb entry then? Haha wanna seek it out

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9100018/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
David Gordon Green needs to go manage a Taco Bell or something.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It looks like it should be on Freeform.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Watching death count on tubi and its bad.

Costas Mandlyor AND Michael Madsen? You must be joking.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zwabu posted:

What are the best or most iconic jump scares?

Jaws - Ben Gardener’s boat

Exorcist III - You Know The One

What else you got?

It's been long enough: The projector scene in IT: Chapter 1.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

god, It: Chapter 2 was so bad that it kind of made me forget that It: Chapter 1 was really solid. that scene is great.

The gulf between the two is so huge is hilarious, I've gone back since thinking maybe it was just surprise that Chapter One was decent that I rated it so highly but no, it really is absurd how bad Chapter Two is. One thing I am 100% certain of, though, is that Chapter One has tons of sequences shot for 3D and this would have been perfect in that format.

Crescent Wrench posted:

I watched Unfriended last night and it was a blast to watch, just total schlock, not to mention a fun time capsule into the internet of a decade ago. Is the "Dark Web" sequel any good?

It kicks rear end.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

STAC Goat posted:

I'm still convinced there's room to just reedit the It movies into one really great adaption of the book. I'm not gonna do it but like when Muschietti gets done killing his career making nerd films that can't satisfy anyone GdT should help him fix that or something.

Someone did this, actually, I don't remember if it was book order exactly but such a cut does exist.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A classic jumpscare is the first time you heard either Tom or Jerry talk.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The Borderlands (aka Final Prayer)!!

"After reports of strange phenomena in a rural English church, a team is sent by the Vatican to see if what is happening qualifies as a miracle."

Found footage investigation. Good movie!

A classic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

I hate every Hellraiser movie past 2. I’ve never been more miserable watching a film series in my life

Easily the worst horror franchise with 5+ entries. Had way more fun watching ROTLD Rave To The Grave and Children of the Corn 666 or whatever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tempted to say it doesn't count. It's like considering every Pinocchio film part of a franchise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's less connected than Pinocchio, because at least they acknowledge that they're roughly adapting the same source material. The connection for the Amityville movies is somewhere between saying all movies about WW2 are related, all movies that take place in New York are related, and Asylum mockbusters being related to the original thing they're ripping off. It's kind of amazing.

Yeah they solely exist because the concept is public domain, yet half the movies barely have any connective tissue to the event, it's weird that some people see it as the ticket to megabucks with a generic haunted house movie.

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol rave to the grave. That was surprisingly decent

As I recall it and its sequel were SyFy Originalz back in the day and it was the better of the two.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I seem to remember it had a zombie with like a Doom Chaingunner outfit on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if i was watching what seemed like a cool, original horror movie and then in the third act it was like "surprise! it's Freddy!" i'd ask for my money back lol

This is just Insidious but the little demon guy is Freddy. Wouldn't work at all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Darthemed posted:

Bruce Coville’s Book of ____ (Monsters, Nightmares, Aliens, Ghosts, Magic, and Spine Tinglers) series are great for this. Each category has two books to it, and each book is a curated collection of short stories fitting the theme, with a nice variety of authors, though some of them do show up regularly. There’s contributions from Joe Lansdale, Jane Yolen, Terry Jones, Ray Bradbury, Michael Markiewicz, Neal Shusterman, and Al Sarrantonio (whose “Snow” still creeps me out), among others.

Yes, these rule.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Talk To Me was very obviously conceived as a found footage movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it felt to me like it changed its mind about what kind of movie it wanted to be every 15 minutes

Yeah it turns into the Flatliners remake about halfway thru.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron von Eevl posted:

Wolfman 2012 has one of my favorite horror movie digging through books montages.

Joe Johnston did a really good job on that, it reminds me most of the Martin Campbell Zorro movies, consciously unfussy throwbacks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you're a fool, you can still dream...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i mean it’s probably top 3

It's his Wolf Of Wall Street.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

If it's not better than Trash Humpers, what's the point?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This post is giving me dejavu for some reason.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BioEnchanted posted:

I've probably posted something like it before.

Yeah, your avatar combined with these videos having a specific look and feel. I've definitely sat around and tried to listen to whatever the hell is going on here before!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I guarantee you there is no frontal nudity in this movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Halloween Jack posted:

Finally saw Mad God last night! More than anything, it reminded me of Dorohedoro.

That never even occurred to me and wow, you're exactly right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

alright so just purely out of curiosity and not trying to be the contrarian: am I the only horror thread regular who thought Talk to Me kind of sucked?

I thought it was OK, the most amusing thing is them trying to push some Youtubers as directors whose names you should know. Might as well say the film was directed by the Da Vinki Brothers.