Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For me Return of the Living Dead is the ultimate horror/comedy. The absolute perfect balance of comedy and horror where it's legit scary in certain scenes while also being one of the funniest horror movies out there. I actually think it's the best zombie film ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Hey anyone know where one could buy the t-shirt that Freddy Hanscom wears in Return of the Living Dead?

This place has it: https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/322205-freddys-return-of-the-living-dead-visage-t-shirt

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I started watching Return of the Living Dead 💀, I’ll finish it tomorrow but so far I like it !

It actually gets better and better pretty much right up until the end. A constantly ascending movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I feel like Silver Bullet is a July 4th movie. Maybe I'm misremembering but I think the fireworks are for July 4th.

The novella is structured where each chapter is a month so it covers a whole year. I don't remember how the movie handles that exactly but yea the firecrackers scene takes place around July 4th.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

I have definitely seen all the Insidious movies but I absolutely could not tell you anything about 2 or 3. Also most of what I do remember I'm pretty sure is blended up with the Conjuring movies

That's my problem too. I have 2 Insidious movies and 3 Conjuring movies all mixed up in my head in one big Patrick Wilson stew and I can't remember which is which.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nah Insidious 2 was definitely Patrick Wilson.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I did not understand Mad God any better the second time. Phil's commentary has been... unhelpful.

I've embraced the fact that I'm probably gonna get maybe one or two little insights or ideas each time I watch it, there won't be some watershed moment where I understand it all at once. Which I'm fine with because I plan to rewatch it a bunch of times and I should probably get around to ordering the blu ray.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

OK you're already hitting the classics with the AIP stuff, but don't forget to branch into the rest of Vincent Price's output. You need Dr. Phibes, you need Theatre of Blood, and you need The Monster Club, stat!

Hammer has a similar feel to it as well where it's never really scary but it's just a comfortable vibe with some all-time great scenery chewing actors. One of my favorite Hammer films that I don't see mentioned very often is Night Creatures aka Captain Clegg.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I adore Phibes but I've never seen the sequel, is it worth a watch? Theatre of Blood is another I've been wanting to see but never have so that goes to the top of the list!

The Phibes sequel is definitely worth a watch. The story and the kills aren't as good overall, but they give Phibes a voicebox that allows Price to properly deliver his big monologues, which for me was a big improvement.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hammer did some fun non-horror stuff too. Like there's a Hammer Robin Hood movie where Peter Cushing plays the Sheriff of Nottingham, can't really go wrong with that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flying Zamboni posted:

Comfort horror for me is Hammer or other stuff from that era of British horror. If at some point some stuffy British gentlemen are in a drawing room having a serious conversation about ghosts, ghouls, vampires, etc, then I'm having a great time.

That's why for me Horror of Dracula is probably the ultimate Hammer film, you have Peter Cushing in his drawing room wearing like a deep red velvet dinner jacket listening to a recording of Peter Cushing discussing vampire lore.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly I've always just been grateful that Hammer and Amicus were so prolific during those golden years, they really did churn out a ton of films. It's definitely a bummer though when you start to feel like you've seen them all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

You don’t need to go backwards in this thread

Speak for yourself my posts are precious

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My favorite Halloween special as a kid was Garfield's Halloween Adventure. It's like half typical Garfield shenanigans with he and Odie going trick r treating, and then the second half is a really cool spooky ghost pirate story.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

My 6 year old was getting too worked up by Hotel Transylvania, I want to introduce them to some of this stuff but I know it's too much right now. I bet when they're older they'll be real into some of this stuff though.

When I was that age my father showed me Jaws. It was a different time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

There’s no wrong age to see Jaws

It's weird because then when Jurassic Park came out in 1993 I was like two years older than when I'd seen Jaws, and my father all the sudden was concerned about taking me to see that. I had to grind him down over a period of several months before he broke down and took me to see it.

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like there’s a strategical flaw in picking films for kids based on what memorably freaked us out as kids. Unless the goal is to traumatize another generation.

Well there's always a fine line between a traumatic movie experience and having a great time being spooked. Like, did the scene in Ghostbusters where the hands come out of the chair and attack Dana give me a whole bunch of nightmares as a kid? Absolutely, but that fear is a big part of why I ended up loving the horror movie experience. You have to learn from experience that being scared in a controlled safe setting like a movie is actually a lot of fun.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 14, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

WeaponX posted:

I do and it’s totally degraded. Keep it in a ziploc lol

You should wrap the ziploc in some barb wire and then stash it under the floorboards just to gently caress with whoever finds it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
:spooky:OCTOBER CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT :spooky:

Hard to believe, but we're less than 3 months away from another October Challenge. As I've mentioned before, Fran has passed the torch to me at least for this year, so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row with as little procrastination as possible. I've never done anything like this before, so we're going back to our roots with a more traditional set of challenges, not the Spooky Bingo of recent years. I hope everyone is ok with that and it's not too much of a bummer for those that enjoyed Spooky Bingo.

That said, I do want to try to put a little bit of a different spin on things in a few ways. I'll spoiler tag the specifics just in case there are people who like to be surprised by these things when October rolls around.

First, we're going to incorporate more opportunities to complete the challenges with rewatches. Rewatching old favorites is something I always do a lot of in October, and allowing for more of that seemed like a popular idea when I brought it up in the May Challenge thread.

Second, we're going to take a cue from gey muckle mowser's challenge in May and do some overlapping challenges, i.e. a subset of the challenges will be able to be used in combination with other challenges so that if you plan things out you can kill two birds with one stone.

So, the overall format I was thinking about was 13 rewatch-eligible challenges, 13 new-to-you challenges, and then 5 of the meta/overlap challenges(these will be the broader challenges, for example gey muckle mowser put the geographical challenge in this category). With 31 total challenges, the prize drawing would be based on tiers where you can earn 4 possible entries. One entry for just watching 31 movies, and then one entry for completing a certain # of challenges(maybe one entry per 10 challenges completed?)

As always the "prizes" won't really be the motivating factor here, we're doing this for Halloween spirit, but there will be prizes in the form of horror digital codes. So I guess my main question right now is about the number of challenges. Too many? I feel like erring on the side of too many is probably the way to go for October, people like challenges but we don't want it to feel overwhelming to complete them either.

All that said, my PMs are open and I'm looking for suggestions for the specific challenges. We'll be using some of the old mainstays of course, and I've come up with a few of my own already but we're gonna need fresh ideas before this is all said and done. Thanks in advance for not being a dick as I try to not ruin the legacy of this great challenge!

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 17, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

In terms of feedback, I think you should make sure that none of the first-watch-required categories are relatively small and finite. Like, there's enough vampire movies out there that you could almost go forever, but some of the other categories it's not infeasible that someone has literally watched them all and is just hosed from the outset.

Yea I'm definitely keeping that in mind when I decide the challenge categories

Xiahou Dun posted:

Has there been like a murder-weapon scavenger hunt challenge? Like there's a list with "chainsaw" and "axe" and "blender" and you have to find movies where someone gets that shoved in their face?

Only issue that we have to be careful about with that sort of thing is you want people to be able to plan things out, i.e. it's hard to know if an axe or a blender is used until you've seen the movie.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 17, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

Challenges sound good, but I hope we stick to getting the list early and doing them on own time. That has made a huge difference for my engagement that last couple years.

Yep, the challenges will absolutely be posted on day 1 when the thread goes up. I haven't looked at the calendar to figure out exactly what day that will be yet, but it won't be a situation where the challenges are posted in a trickle over the course of the month. The majority has made it clear over the years that they like to know the challenges up front so they can plan things out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

Who was it? Was it Grand Moff Tarkin?

Sounds like somebody needs to check out some classic Hammer flicks

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

Only concern I have about the amount of challenges is that they should be posted early on because quite a few of us end up in the spot where we've already watched/reviewed stuff that would've applied for a challenge that ended up getting posted after. I did like it sitting around 13 challenges because well, 13, and that it also allowed some flexibility with fitting in personal challenges and avoids the possibility of the challenges becoming the focal point of the October viewing.

Yea I was hoping to mitigate that with the tiered system with prize drawing entries for completing X number of challenges, so you earn entries in the drawing as you go, it's not an all or nothing thing. But I get what you're saying, people inevitably want to go for them all.

There's also bound to be a bunch of people who don't give a poo poo about the type of prizes I'm offering so they won't even care about the drawing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there a Halloweenish number that is between 13 and 31? As dumb as it sounds that's one of the reasons I had a hard time coming off 31 because it just feels appropriate for a Halloween challenge. And I do feel like 13 may just not be enough.

I dunno I'm certainly open to the idea of doing less than 31, it would mean less work.

The challenges really are supposed to be a secondary thing though, the main reason to do the challenge is to watch 31 movies that you want to watch and then post about them and read other people's write-ups about the stuff they watch. That's what the challenge was in the beginning and it's always gotta be the core of why we do this thing.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 17, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The heart of the October Challenge is simply watching 31 horror movies of your choice. I think the whole thing is more inviting and inclusive when that's the main focus, you've climbed Mount Everest when you've watched 31 horror movies in 31 days(and posted about them!). For me the bonus challenges came in as like an extra difficult route up the mountain that some of us decide to do to keep things fresh and fun after many years of doing this.

So maybe I'm old school that way, but that's why I thought of the challenges as a truly optional add-on to the event. I don't want people to feel like if they don't complete them all they've failed, it shouldn't be an all or nothing thing. Maybe I'm out of touch in thinking that though, I don't want to go with too many challenges if it makes people feel overwhelmed or intimidated to participate.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The more I think about it the 6-6-6 plan that was brought up earlier might be the perfect middle ground. The Challenges of The Beast.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

cake bunny posted:

That first one in the bottom row is driving me crazy.

Edit - Obvious solution is for me to spend the entire day rewatching every King adaptation ever made until I get it.

It's the guy from 1408, Cusack's character

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

cake bunny posted:

Thank you! I was hung up on it being John Cusack but couldn't think of a movie where he was wearing that shirt or would have a cigarette behind his ear. I guess I should finally watch 1408.

It was the little recorder that did it for me, I knew it had to be some sort of writer or journalist character. Which of course doesn't narrow it down that much when it comes to King protagonists but still I got there in the end.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flying Zamboni posted:

I'm confused isn't the guy who's doing it Basebf555? He started this whole conversation and has been giving his thoughts in this thread already.

I didn't see Hollis' original post but yea I was offered the chance to run the challenge this year and it's a pretty long running tradition now that I've been a part of and I would like to see it continue as long as possible. But I certainly would defer to others who may have a more specific vision for it that I may not be in a position to follow through on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
gently caress yea

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

I was in some incredibly spooky fog in some very haunting locations this weekend. Spooky fog rules.

Others than The Fog and City of the Dead and Plan 9, what are the best spooky fog movies

Black Sunday aka The Mask of Satan

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Hrmm is Pet Sematary the best overall song for a horror movie?

Criteria : It contains the name of the movie in the song or it goes over the plot of the movie in the song.

Yet again for the the second time in a month, my hat is like a shark's fin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cYcdBVQ8NM

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
All the Saw movies are good. Well, except Spiral.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

WHY BONER NOW posted:

And the heroes wear those weird face mask cowl things in one scene, definitely inspired Bloodborne.

Also in the final showdown the villain uses like a sword/flail combo weapon that is right out of Bloodborne.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Definitely. Psycho II was a huge surprise when I watched it. It feels like it should be the most unnecessary sequel out there but Anthony Perkins puts his all into his role and justifies its existence with a genuinely interesting follow-up. I still need to see Psycho III

It was one of the first films that Tom Holland(who went on to direct Fright Night and Child's Play) wrote, and that seems to have been the key thing because Perkins initially turned down the movie but eventually accepted after he got a chance to read Holland's script. And I can see why, a sequel to Psycho could've easily just been a run of the mill slasher but Holland wrote it as a real character piece about Norman.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't like how they seem to have shoehorned Burstyn into the Exorcist role, they're not gonna have a Father Karras/Merrin type character in the movie so they need Burstyn to be like the Lynne Shaye/Zelda Rubenstein and it doesn't really fit with the character from the original film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have a much bigger problem with Halloween Kills. I actually think the whole thing would've left a much better taste in my mouth had they just done Halloween and Halloween Ends, two films instead of a trilogy. Kills was just goofy as hell and not in a good way. Goofy and Michael Myers isn't a good combo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

What was goofier in any of these three movies than the training montage where Mike teaches that kid how to stab? I guess to Ends' credit that was one of the times I laughed the hardest at a horror movie all year.

I won't argue that every moment in Ends lands the way they wanted it to, but I just think Kills is wall to wall cheese. The tone felt completely off from start to finish.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's gonna be some sort of bugs like black widow spiders or something

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

huh apparently Saw X is set in Mexico, sometime between Saw I and Saw II. great news for those who love the blessedly stupid timeline of retcon plot twists.

Crossing my fingers for a Detective Hoffman appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Halloween(1978)
Halloween 2(1981)
Zombie's Halloween 2
Halloween 3
Halloween 4
Halloween(2018)
Zombie's Halloween
Halloween 5
H20
Halloween Ends
Halloween Curse of Michael Myers