Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just don’t like the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Zwabu posted:

I haven’t watched Joe Bob in quite some time. Just looked over the listings and wow they have shown some bangers. Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane? Housebound? Posession? I have to get caught up on rewatching some of these.

edit - actually looking over all the seasons they have covered a TON of thread favorites.

A lot of it seems to be based on films that are already on Shudder and there are some gems on there. Altho occasionally they will upload something just for the show and a lot of films he covers come and go as streaming services are known to do.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 8, 2023

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
There’s also a listing on shudder for Just Joe Bob, which are the segments without the movies. They’re usually not that interesting without seeing the movie but if you’ve seen Mad God and only want to see this interview with Phil Tippett it’s good for jumping straight to that.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Also I saw Summoning the Spirit two weeks ago for Chattanooga. It was the only one of the 17 that underwhelmed me; cool concept it doesn't do much with, outside of some impressive visuals. Maybe I'll appreciate it more on a rewatch/outside of that setting, but as is, from Chattanooga I'd definitely suggest keeping an eye out for:

Soft Liquid Center, about a woman moving out after a breakup and all her anxieties and stresses about it manifest in weird ways in her new home. I really wanna rewatch this as a double feature with Enys Men, they give off similar vibes to me. The most experimental thing I saw, and the thing I most dug, from the fest
We Might Hurt Each Other (aka Pensive), a Lithuanian slasher
Trim Season, where a handful of queer women get involved in work trimming weed on a farm run by a witch. Body horror and folk horror
Hell Hath No Fury, about a sitcom couple both sick of being a sitcom couple with their partner specifically and trying to get each other killed by new lovers on a December night
Wintertide, which is a zombie-mystery in a 30 Days of Night setting

Less on the horror side but still definitely worth an eye on:

American Meltdown, a Bonnie-and-ClydeBonnie drama-comedy about two women adjusting in real time to the discovery that the American Dream is a myth
Sour Party, a comedy about two also-struggling women having a terrible day
The Last Movie Ever Made, a sweet and emotional comedy about the world finding out in unison that life is a simulation that will end in 15 days, and a man deciding he's going to use that time to gather his friends together and make (and watch) the scifi film he always wanted them to make together in high school

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Phy posted:

I always find the Warrens as depicted in the Conjuring to be a Little Much. Like, we get it, guys, you love eachother and God very much, let's get back to the spookies, yeah?

I was into it, even the Elvis song, until the third film. They brought the story too close to them, so it didn't bounce off a cool haunting and just stagnated. Agree that they suck in real life.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the devil made me do it was pretty bad, but it's real crime was absolutely wasting John Noble. he is begging for a horror franchise, the guy radiates deep gravity menace

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Devil made me do it is hilarious and awful. The end redeemed it into pure schlock but I’ll never rewatch it

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I did not understand Mad God any better the second time. Phil's commentary has been... unhelpful.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
wan should make a conjuring//malignant crossover where gabriel kung fu's the warrens to death

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I did not understand Mad God any better the second time. Phil's commentary has been... unhelpful.

I've embraced the fact that I'm probably gonna get maybe one or two little insights or ideas each time I watch it, there won't be some watershed moment where I understand it all at once. Which I'm fine with because I plan to rewatch it a bunch of times and I should probably get around to ordering the blu ray.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I think I appreciated Mad God a lot more the second time. I always appreciated the artistry, but understanding Phil Tippett's mindset and character helps a lot of the imagery come together better in my mind, and I felt like I enjoyed how it was paced more this time too. Initially I had a lot of thoughts about capitalism, medical horror, the endless grind, propaganda, and more, but now I really felt a lot of connection with Phil and his view of art.

"I, like a lot of artists, don't realize what I'm doing until many years later" is such a great quote.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

New short film! Hopefully you dig it. It’s a bit ambitious in places but idk. It was fun to make and it cost 200 bucks.

Soon it’ll be feature timehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BShLFrbXd8… 😈😈😈

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

New short film! Hopefully you dig it. It’s a bit ambitious in places but idk. It was fun to make and it cost 200 bucks.

How much of the budget was beer? :grin:

Holy poo poo, that was great. The alien in the house was super creepy and I loved the goopy stuff. Great finale and I appreciate dodging the cliché "drop my cup from shock so it shatters on the ground" shot.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Chris James 2 posted:

It's dumb as hell

But having watched all 11 films (plus the short) in the series the week it dropped on VOD, that's still good enough for top 5-6. The films from 1996-2011 get dire

Having also sat through all of them, I agree they hit a serious dire patch. Having also sat through all the Amityville franchise, I can say Children of the Corn's clunkers are worlds better than how bad Amityville gets.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Amityville the Awakening is one of the worst things I've ever genuinely looked forward to seeing

Don't say "really?!"! The director did P2 and the Maniac remake! There was reason for hope!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I doing think it's really fair to call the Amityville movies a series or a franchise. It's like calling any movie with "Dead" in the title part of the Night Of The Loving Dead series.

edit although imagining the dead returning back on land while Nicole Kidman tries to deal with some losers on a boat is pretty funny

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

WeaponX posted:

I thought it was pretty tolerable, tongue-in-cheek, campy in the first 2 but by the 3rd one it went full “these two are literally the Christian Avengers”.

For me it's easier to divorce them from the reality of the situation, until the third where it tries to exonerate a real life murderer. That's just kind of hosed up and gross for my tastes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

on last night’s rewatch i think i solidified that Mad God is my favorite movie of the last i dunno 20 years or so

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

CelticPredator posted:

Nice job man! Good environmental story-telling, and impressive practical effects (especially for $200).

One clarification - what I took away was protagonist has trauma/anxiety about a previous car accident and the alien is using its telepathy to set that memory as their battleground, right? Because of the way the flashbacks are used at 3:08 and 3:49, while we're catching up with events, I thought at first he'd hit the alien with his car, and was lying about how it happened, but I got there.

And one little note - the pacing/tension between 13:00 and 13:27 feels a little off. It's hard to put my finger on; I follow the events just fine but there's not much sense of urgency or confrontation? It might be a sound design thing - you could try adding an ADR line from the man in the van, or some zappy sounds from him charging his weapon, or even just some distortion to show main character's disorientation but that quick segment feels a little flat right now.

On the whole though, good job! How many hours of shooting would you say went into it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You got it there with the first paragraph! Thankfully!

As for the second, that’s fair! Won’t at all lie and say the last half we were running late and we stopped with the plan and just ran with it lol. That part was a little bit more extended but I ended up snapping a lot out of it. So that’s a fair issue.

There were two van guys and a little more fighting happens but lol.

But thank you guys so much!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We shot for 5 days. First two days were supposed to nail it but we kinda ran slower than I wanted and had to end it early because people had lives lol. So those days were like 12 hours total. Add in another 4 for the next day, and then a whopping 11 for the big day and 5 for the last day around 34 hours I guess.

Overall fun, some issues but mostly it was like “hey let’s make a fun thing” instead of “oh gently caress I put so much money into this we need it to be perfect”

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Leatherhead posted:

Nice job man! Good environmental story-telling, and impressive practical effects (especially for $200).

One clarification - what I took away was protagonist has trauma/anxiety about a previous car accident and the alien is using its telepathy to set that memory as their battleground, right? Because of the way the flashbacks are used at 3:08 and 3:49, while we're catching up with events, I thought at first he'd hit the alien with his car, and was lying about how it happened, but I got there.

And one little note - the pacing/tension between 13:00 and 13:27 feels a little off. It's hard to put my finger on; I follow the events just fine but there's not much sense of urgency or confrontation? It might be a sound design thing - you could try adding an ADR line from the man in the van, or some zappy sounds from him charging his weapon, or even just some distortion to show main character's disorientation but that quick segment feels a little flat right now.

On the whole though, good job! How many hours of shooting would you say went into it?

That was scary good for $200. Makes me think of the zombie film I did when I was a kid and what could've happened if we had actual money instead of Mom's lasagna.

On first watch I was wondering if the guy missed a dose of his meds from accident trauma and hallucinating until the alien showed up and was real , second watch everything clicked. Not really a flaw of the short, but more I had a cat being needy while I was watching so I missed a thing or two.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was a weird storytelling thing. I was trying some ideas and trying to go a bit deeper with my work than usual.

Glad it’s more or less working. But I learned a lot so next time I can do these ideas a bit stronger! That’s the fun of doing no budget stuff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And the reason it was 200 is because I had everything lol. I had the alien suit left over from Alienated. The alien head was the reshoot hybrid’s head as well, and I ripped off all that and sculpted over it.

So I only had to buy some extra texture, foam, and foam clay to finish it. That all cost about like 30 bucks lol

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

CelticPredator posted:

This was great!

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Chiming in to say I also enjoyed it, well loving done.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

This was awesome.

Unrelated, but I'm rewatching the Price version of House on Haunted Hill, and now I'm angry that more movies don't start with the floating heads of their stars advancing towards the screen to deliver some rough exposition. It's so stupid but so tonally perfect that it loops back around to being awesome.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Very spooky

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If you have horror short films or horror videos that you've made please post them and I will put them in the original thread post as horror thread originals and give you credit then link to them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

M_Sinistrari posted:

That was scary good for $200. Makes me think of the zombie film I did when I was a kid and what could've happened if we had actual money instead of Mom's lasagna.

Haha that reminded me of the "movie" we made as kids about a scientist who drank Pepsi and turned into a Werewolf and the cure was to give him Diet Pepsi

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023

Hollismason posted:

If you have horror short films or horror videos that you've made please post them and I will put them in the original thread post as horror thread originals and give you credit then link to them.

I just finished this one last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2RgBxk1V14

this was from a couple of weeks back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V7ZF_jfeVw

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

bbobseq posted:

I just finished this one last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2RgBxk1V14

this was from a couple of weeks back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V7ZF_jfeVw

Okay I will add them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"The film was cheap because I had an alien corpse left over." :lol:

Good poo poo, CP!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Nice job CP, looks great! What kind of camera are you shooting with?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I wasn't really heavily invested in it but I'm watching Occult (2009) by Shiraishi and uh goddam I was not expecting the swerve in this film.

:catstare:

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I wasn't really heavily invested in it but I'm watching Occult (2009) by Shiraishi and uh goddam I was not expecting the swerve in this film.

:catstare:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah just don't read anything about Occult and go in totally blind. You're gonna have to make it to about the 60 minute to 70 minute mark. When it swerves it swerves and then its just loving crazy town on.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

New thread new chance to rep the Nippon GOATsu, so I bit the bullet and uploaded a Shiraishi gang tag we talked about last thread but never moved on. Next time any of you update your avs, be sure to toss it in if you're down with His Kojiness.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

New thread new chance to rep the Nippon GOATsu, so I bit the bullet and uploaded a Shiraishi gang tag we talked about last thread but never moved on. Next time any of you update your avs, be sure to toss it in if you're down with His Kojiness.
🙏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm holding my 3rd gang tag out for this year's October challenge in the hope that we get another gang tag