Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Count Thrashula posted:

Thread regular the number one juicy boi checking in

Friday 2 is the best

I dunno. Losing Chris Tucker was rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I dig found footage. It’s an accessible way for more filmmakers and to hide production values. It’s a way to attach your audience to the characters and their perspective more effectively. There’s plenty of bad ones but there’s plenty of bad of your favorite genre too. There’s also plenty of standouts and classics. Or at least “classic” for a genre that’s mostly only a could of decades old.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As I recall Stuart Gordon and Yuzna brought the film to Disney and Gordon was set to direct and Yuzna produce. But Gordon dropped out and Joe Johnston was hired and it’s hard to imagine they would have made the same film. Obviously the movie is a throwback to B sci fi/horror like the Incredible Shrinking Man and it sounds like Gordon/Yuzna were always planning a Disney kids film and not some kind of typical thing from them. But still. You gotta think things would have felt a bit different.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think what happened with Dark Universe tanking hard was that the studio execs were impressively stupid in handling it. They were looking at the shared Marvel and DC films and were all 'oooh shiny!', and looked at League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and said 'we gotta plan!' which frankly sucked so hard it blew.
The thing is that the DC shared universe is a disaster too. There’s kind of no successful shared universe out there right now except Marvel. And Marvel only kind of set out to do this. They made a bunch of decent individual films first and then tried to make them all work together. Everyone else who set out to make a cinematic universe has repeatedly put the cart before the horse. The Dark Universe did promotional stuff and loaded the Mummy up with Easter eggs and cameos. But you gotta just make a movie or two people want to see first. Then you can build off that. But everyone wants their billion dollar toy first.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Also incredible to realize it was her second acting gig ever. She's so good in EDR.

Wait that can’t be true. I just saw her in a vampire flick the other day and she was in that terrible Mist series. Like maybe it’s her second starring film role or something? But she’s been active and has a couple of extended tv roles.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Flanagan split from Netflix in December and signed a deal with Amazon. Supposedly they’re working on the Dark Tower. House of Usher is just the last project in development over there so I guess he’s on senior day.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Midnight Club was the only of his projects that wasn't a one off but obviously that's probably dead now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like there’s a strategical flaw in picking films for kids based on what memorably freaked us out as kids. Unless the goal is to traumatize another generation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like 31 challenges myself. They are after all challenges. If it was easy to finish them all they'd be just kind of an after thought. That and the meta challenges means its not 31 movies necessarily so there's wiggle room if you're smart.

But I'm an insane person who does like 3 different sets of challenges every October so don't listen too much to me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t think diversity of murder victims is necessarily the diversity we’re going for. I guess that’s a relative idea in horror where more often than not your cast is gonna end up dead. But I think (having not seen any Terrifier so speaking more broadly) the difference with slashers is generally their victims tend to be shallow characters that the movie isn’t focused on as protagonists. So if you cast a bunch of women or poc or whatever you’re sending a different message if they’re fuller characters and protagonists than if they’re murder victims lining up for the star of the show.

I dunno. Again, haven’t seen the clown. I don’t think I’d like it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Takes No Damage posted:

Missing some of these :(

IT, ?, Shawshank, Dead Zone, Pet Sematary
?(The Mist??), Stand By Me, Carrie, Green Mile, Salem's Lot
Creepshow, ?(Flagg from The Stand?) Cujo, Thinner, Shining
Cell(?), Misery, Cristine, Firestarter, Silver Bullet

Top row is Isaac from Children of the Corn I’m pretty sure.

Is there some character or meme that the design is using with the red nosed boy? I don’t get if it’s a thing or just a random artists art idea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MrGreenShirt posted:

Honestly, that's not a bad idea. Granted it's not that many more than 13, but 18 split 3 ways could give you;
6 rewatches,
6 new-to-you, and
6 meta categories

The key there would seem to be the meta categories. If everyone of them was like 5-6 movies then that’s roughly 30 movies itself. There’s be crossover with each other and the other 12 so it might stop run under 31 but it could potentially be more than 31 movies.

I actually like that. It gives the player a lot of wiggle room to work in their planned films and pull combo movies. You could also theoretically convert a lot of the simpler challenges to meta challenges. Like instead of “watch a vampire film” or “watch a werewolf” film you could have “watch 6 films with classic horror monsters” or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The most common Meta categories in these things is usually “watch movies from X decades/countries”. They’re simple but I like that they very easily push you out of just watching everything from the same era or place. But also probably could be skipped for ones with more character.

I think a POC one would be great since so often seeing that as one movie in a challenge feels weird to me. Picking out a single movie starring non white people feels like it says so much. So I’d love a meta challenge that meant seeking out a deeper pool. And there’s plenty of options especially once you open up Asians films.

Queer horror the same. In some ways that field maybe feels a bit smaller but with all the Hayes Code stuff maybe not. I dunno. It’s a pool I’d definitely welcome diving into.

Same with like feminist/women films. I just personally prefer these categories that expand the viewpoints of horror to something like “slasher” that is well treaded territory. Although I also hate slashers so…

In terms of challenges/categories we don’t like that always come up? We don’t need Video Nasties. Every horror challenge does them. There’s not actually that many quality movies on the list. At some point you’re just watching dreck. I’d vote against Video Nasties.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'm open to all sorts of stuff but if we choose to include a 'watch a movie from a country you've never seen a horror movie from', please give an alternate to that one because my rear end was scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel trying to find a movie from a country I hadn't seen last October. I watch a lot of foreign movies, please be gentle to me, I'm getting into some really unwatchable stuff.

I like the idea of that challenge but yeah it can be a real scrape to find something. I think an end around would be a meta challenge that simply made a list of countries that don’t count. Like “watch 6 movies not made in the US, UK, Japan, or Italy” would probably accomplish the same basic goals and give a lot more wiggle room. Or even just “X non English movies” even if that still leaves room for someone to watch all giallos or Japanese films to fill it if they were so inclined.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 18, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A couple of years ago Fran included a challenge connected to some other challenge elsewhere about drawing. And I decided to go the extra mile and draw something for the challenge. And I thought that would make a very cool challenge idea. But I also think something like that is probably too much because it demands a level of work or artistic expression that everyone just won’t want to do or feel comfortable doing.

At some point making every kid in school take part in the school play is just cruel towards the kids who can’t sing or really don’t like performing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

People have been writing spooky stories about isolated fog and haze filled transient fishing communities for a long time for good reason.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think people have it reversed though. 2 is the one that’s all weird and lorey. I remember three being a much more straightforward return to the original scares.

Or maybe I have them blurred. I dunno.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I personally think Kills and Ends get Halloween more than most do. It was never really about Michael Myers. He was always the boogeyman. Kills and Ends are just overtly about how people create the boogeyman through fear, anger, and trauma. '18 is about that too, it just also has Laurie having a big bad rear end confrontation with Michael. But like the entire core story of that movie is about how Laurie has spent her entire life obsessed Michael was gonna return and poisoning her relationships and it turns out Micheal couldn't give a poo poo about her. Kills and Ends kept taking that idea further and did it with a lot of little details (I love how Laurie's granddaughter becomes a nurse since there's a constant theme in the franchise of caretakers and healthcare workers in direct contrast to the rest).

I've only seen Kills twice and Ends once but I'm very much looking forward to a revisit this October.

I'm also fully onboard with the new Exorcist and gonna use it as an excuse to rewatch the series and pretend they're all canon because the show rocked.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I remember it being a better film, which could be a good or a bad thing depending on your perspective.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It has 11. It just doesn’t count one of them because it goes the extra mile to be stupid.

But it makes sense they haven’t gotten to space since it’s still obsessed with the terminally ill guy from the first one.

I hate that I’ll watch the new one eventually just to silence the voice in my head that it’s not complete.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Xiahou Dun posted:

In general definitely the top one with the blood. But I can see why you’d ask that because I’m not 100% happy with how that specific blood works.

Is this still planning and you can mess with it? A revamp on the bloody bit might make it perfect.

Yeah. I think the missing teeth in the bloody one give it a kind of uncanny look. The bloody part ends up not looking like part of the blade and makes the whole image look a bit weird and not as instantly identifiable as the bloodless one. I suspect a version that looked like one single blade in size with all the teeth but bloody would be the winner. But of the two that exist I'd pick the bloodless one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I can understand if you're making like actual physical neon signs (or faux neon) how the extra teeth would be extra work. So I get the choice. But I do think as is the toothless bloody part just doesn't look like part of the non bloodless part of the blade.

I mean it would still work if that's what you wanna do. But part of my brain isn't accepting it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Xiahou Dun posted:

A loving thousand times 2. Possibly with just a skosh more dribble.

Edit to be clear 1 is good too. I just think 2 is close to perfect.

This. If you could do drip on 2 it would be perfect but I recognize that might just be hard. But 2 is great. 1 is also great. I'd consider both bad rear end but probably pick 2.

BioEnchanted posted:

They probably... like... washed it?

Yeah there's also these metal things called swords and knives and scalpels. Its a solved problem.

Although you'd probably have to worry about blood getting into the motor or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I did a full marathon a couple of years ago and man that was a stupid repetitive drag.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Opopanax posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen all the Saw movies but honestly how could you even tell

I know I did a marathon and I couldn’t tell you a thing about any of them after like 4? Even then I’d just be saying random things I remember with no idea in what movie they happened.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just a brief head's up, the Sweet Sixteen of Bracketology starts this week and we'll be end running to the Championships in September. Nothing complicated to do, just watch some movies and vote. So all are welcome.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4018436&pagenumber=25#post533554082

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It seems decided but yeah, I agree rewatch is a bit of a nebulous term and basically operating on the honor code. Sometimes when I THINK i've seen a movie but don't remember anything about it I count it as new. Sometimes when I know I saw something a long time ago its a rewatch but I remember nothing about it. Other times I'm half way through a "new" watch and realize I've seen it. So it all just seems like whatever. Someone's gonna want to watch something new they will and if they want to "cheat" they well. And you can work "new watches" into challenges like the meta count ones or something like "a country you've never seen".

Basebf555 posted:

Apologies for kinda flailing around with this stuff, I know Fran had the confidence to just put the challenge out there and didn't really bother people with the minutiae. I just want to make sure when the Challenge launches it's something everyone is at least mostly happy with.
HAHA! Imagine people having to deal with my anxiety ridden survey filled Bracketology process.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A Fancy Hat posted:

I made the mistake of watching this movie yesterday since I was working from home and scanning through Tubi. This felt like it was written by a 13 year old edgelord kid in the mid 90s. None of the characters have a single likable trait except maybe Thomas Lennon, and he's more of a blank slate than anything else.

This was just a bunch of paper thin characters and assholes getting brutally killed by puppets, then they add this whole "the puppetmaster was a nazi, these are hate crimes!" thing in an attempt to either make you feel bad or excuse the grossness? But this comes like moments after a puppet that looks like a hateful jewish caricature crawled into a woman and ripped a fetus out of her.

It bothered me so much that I looked up the screenwriter to see if I was missing some amazing satire or something. No, he's apparently just a middle-aged edgelord who might be a right-wing piece of poo poo, too.

I've never seen any of his films but from what I gather he's made one movie about having to massacre evil first nations people, another about little nazi puppets killing poc, and another about racist cops being justified in being racist revenge killers. So you know... when they show you who they are...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think David Lynch deals with the sinister underbelly of American institutions and that certainly CAN feel like horror and be horror in a number of cases. But like I wouldn't call Blue Velvet horror more than most noir films.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm still convinced there's room to just reedit the It movies into one really great adaption of the book. I'm not gonna do it but like when Muschietti gets done killing his career making nerd films that can't satisfy anyone GdT should help him fix that or something.

Although I guess that too would be making a film for nerds who can't be satisfied. So I guess he's just trapped in a curse now.

WeaponX posted:

gently caress now I really have to watch Ernest Scared Stupid.

Ernest Scared Stupid or Fuzzbucket, for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO4henUfChg

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm sure there's fan edits out there but (a) a lot of fancuts are just not very good and (b) i'm sure there's unused material that could bridge a lot of gaps.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, absolutely. I don't really begrudge Muschietti's It. I get why he made the choice he did. It just didn't work. But it was attempting to fix a real problem. The book just doesn't translate easily into a single film or a two parter. As you said It should have been a mini series.

And the first mini had the same basic problems. They just made some better choices.

But like I said, I just think there's enough good material made that if they were so inclined they probably could make a 3-3 1/2 hour film that does a real good job. But also to what service since you'd just be catering to a niche audience that will by hyper critical and come in with a lot of expectations? And he's already rebooting Batman again and adapting an anime so why invite more of that into your life?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

honestly i think splitting up the two parts like they did could've worked fine, it's just that part two completely sucked rear end as a film

Well the problem is that the adult stuff with Pennywise just isn't that scary. So it makes sense that he felt the need to add a bunch more kid stuff. But that just all ends up feeling like repetitive bloat and then you get the less than satisfying adult finale after blowing the kid finale a movie ago. The 80s miniseries couldn't nail that landing either. King couldn't either.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't seen Flash so I can't speak to its flaws. But they hardly seem exclusive to Muschietti.

Dude should probably just make another film with less baggage. Its weird he just has become the nerd adaption guy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

You do need some sort of time or generational element for It to work though, that's a huge part of what makes it compelling and scary. This thing has literally been there since before Derry existed, and seeing kids have to come back as adults to fight It a second time is too important to the story to toss out.

Yeah I mean you CAN tell a story with just the kids. But like you're throwing away more than half the book and the core of the generational trauma stuff then. Which like ok. But also that's what Part 1 is so... there you go.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think the adult cast is the problem. Its just that we never see them in the first film so there's a complete disconnect between them and the kids. And then the other previously stated structural and execution problems of having to pad out kid stuff and having questionable resolution plot stuff to work with.

Alternatively just make a movie about a space turtle and go for it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. The mini series does the deal where the kids are mostly Part 1 and adults Part 2 but it introduces the adults in Part 1 and plays the kids stuff as flashbacks. That works a lot better to draw the connection between the two and then the second part starts with them all returning but already being established and easily identifiable/associated with their kid versions.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t know that I feel a need or desire for a Elm Street requel but I do think New Nightmare and the rest of the franchise sets a decent enough idea that Freddy is an idea born to life through fear and belief that you can run with that for your reboot sequel. Whether that’s acknowledging the meta movie within a movie stuff of New Nightmare or just playing on the basic ideas to explain a new Freddy who is spiritually the old Freddy. In that regard a bit more like Candyman than Halloween or Scream.

I would not object to Nancy/Heather returning but I don’t know how to deal with that without making it too weird. I dunno. But if you’re gonna go that way with “legacy characters” I definitely say bring back Patricia Arquette.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 3, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Amityville is clearly a terrible brand but its definitely not a franchise in any meaningful sense of the word. I'll 100% agree with that. And yeah its much like the other public domain type stuff that just has tons of adaptions and interpretations because there's nothing stopping them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really dislike Resurrection at all. Its bad but its fun bad. Good cast, wild ideas, brain off vibe. It doesn't feel like the other Alien films which I think its probably what people have most against it, but 3 bores and pisses me off so I rather at least have some dumb fun.