Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Resurrect Billy Wilder and command his groaning spirit to direct something extremely funny but still a full-on horror film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Hammer Hound of the Baskervilles goes HARD

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

top 3 comfort horrors:
1) Salo
2) Martyrs
3) Begotten

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

You know what hosed me up as a kid? That episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark where the kid gets trapped in a VR game with the computer virus. Genuinely gross body horror with the port growing out of the kid’s hand and the mindfuck with multiple layers of reality

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I’ll be contrarian as I do feel like 31 challenges are too many—while it’s all optional, I anticipate quite a few less prolific challenge posters or new people who might otherwise try for their first October seeing that and either noping out right away or burning out quickly, or, worst of all, finishing all of it but not having a good time watching horror movies.

Along with that, with so many challenges are a good chunk of them just going to be so open ended that they won’t actually encourage you to seek out something you might not have watched? Is it just a bunch of checkboxes you can fit stuff you were going to watch anyway into? Then we reach a “what’s the point” phase for me.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Saw X

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

SneakySneaks posted:

I'm in a mood for a good investigation horror (supernatural basis, not serial killer like Zodiac, Seven, Memories of Murder, Chaser) after watching Mirrors of all things. Despite being a middle of the road movie, the Esseker stuff hit a sweet spot for me and I'm looking something with a similar creepy vibe, but I think I've seen most of the good/decent ones. I've seen most of the J-Horror Movies (and remakes), Empty Man, Cure for Wellness, A Record of a Sweet Murder, Seance, Incantation, Session 9, Cure. Are there more films along those lines that keep in paranormal?

Angel Heart, or for a more light hearted pastiche that would still scratch that horror detective itch: Cast A Deadly Spell

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I’ll also recommend Banshee Chapter as a supernatural investigation film. I kinda can’t say it’s a great movie, just too uneven, but I have a soft spot for it and it has a couple of really effective scares as well as making one of the main characters a Hunter S Thompson expy investigating a supernatural horror drug, which is unique as hell even in this specific sub genre

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Dagon may not be my favorite horror movie of all time, but it is unquestionably the wettest

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Hollismason posted:

What investigative horror should I watch next. I have 2 hours to kill this evening.

Death Line (1972)

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

There are definitely franchises where I prefer later entries over the original—I’d watch Exorcist 3 over the Exorcist any day—but not many where I can say the original didn’t launch the franchise for good reason—the Exorcist is a stone cold classic

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Messiah of Evil owns

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I think that gets confusing because “survival horror” is also a horror video game genre that contains, like, Resident Evil, Dead Space, Fatal Frame, The Last of Us etc.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Fire Walk With Me has a good chunk of jazz on the soundtrack from what I remember

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

We need MORE horror set in the 80s, but, like, the 1480s

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

It will certainly feel weird in 25-30 years when a younger filmmaker sets a period piece thriller during the 2020 covid lockdowns and is giving interviews about the historical research they had to do to make it accurate

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Cult horror set during the Plague Of Justinian with lots of body borror

Caveman encounters the first vampires, alternatively neanderthals encounter early humanity who are presented as nearly psychopathic ruthless competitors

12-13th century academic is drawn obsessively to research the legend of Prester John, only to discover he is not an earthly ruler but an alien reality that becomes more real the more is written about it, Mouth of Madness style

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I quit movies often, sometimes with only minutes left. There is no past or future to consider, only the present moment. I have no obligations to any artist or narrative, nor even to myself. I am utterly free and unburdened by doubt or pity.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

All great movies but the Exorcist is simply the winner

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I am all-in on the terrible 80s CGI/VR segment in the '85 trailer

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

LOL at everyone in this thread who wasn’t born in New York City and has 1,000,000 regional horror movies available

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Feel like we can almost count the Cabinet of Curiosities, too

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

It’s my opinion that Jason and the alien would kiss.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I definitely think of Nightmare as a Christmas movie, just a spooky one.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Adam Scott’s best performance imo

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

To be fair it would be very funny if we named a bonus challenge in the October thread after Picnic at Hanging Rock and didn’t let people watch it

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Midsommar owns

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

we need fewer babysitter slashers. and more baby slashers

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Slashers who are babies or slashers who slash babies?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Deadite posted:

Can someone recommend me a good movie for this bonus challenge?

- A film by an LGBTQ+ director, or a film that deals with LGBTQ+ themes

I could go the easy route and watch Hellraiser for the 100th time but I want to see something new. I'm in the US and I have Shudder/AMC+, Max, Netflix, Amazon Prime and the free ones like Tubi and Pluto.

Bit (2019) is on Tubi. Solid, fun vampire flick with actual trans representation.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

best part of the Poughkeepsie Tapes is when it’s implied that the killer had some part in engineering 9/11 in order to bury one of the documentarians stories about him

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's theft. the Mandy nepo baby director should give Don Coscarelli one million dollars

I disagree—he should give me one million dollars

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The human brain has a remarkable power to delude itself that it is somehow “in on the joke.” Daltos rolled in assuming he’d be a part of the crowd or, failing that, would impress the in-group by being as loud and edgy as possible in a way that kind of makes sense to an adolescent.

Now that that has failed, he can only react by painting himself as a villain, dangerous, someone we hated all along for fighting for a cause, meaning anything. But the truth is, of course, that he just gets laughed at. Screenshotted, shared in mod chats and offsite discords, some rando who is entirely strung along for the joke of it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Spookas, I need an opinion. I'm making title cards for my Plex collection of Creepshow (the TV series), and I'm wondering what you prefer, style A (with the comic titles) or style B (with a memorable visual from the episode)?

Style A definitely

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Legend of Boggy Creek/Legend of Bagger Vance crossover where Matt Damon gets eaten by a sasquatch

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Demons 4
Demoni 4
Demoni Quattro
D4mons

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

House II isn’t really a horror movie. It’s a straight up kids time travel adventure movie that happens to feature a good guy cowboy zombie

e: this is not to discourage anyone from watching it, it’s fun

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

AI owns and the Flesh Fair is NASTY

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

a big fish is pretty scary if you think about it. aaaah it’s gonna get me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Godzilla vs Biollante is cool, imo