Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Darthemed posted:

F13 rankings are old and tired, ranking the Scooby-Doo movies is where it’s at now.

1. Scooby Doo: A Wrestlemania Mystery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

BrownPepper posted:

What's the best horror film by a director who is mostly known for working outside of the genre. The Exorcist is the easy answer, but I'm sure there are a lot of interesting picks I'm too dumb to think of. Alien I think would count.

Silence of the Lambs
Jacobs Ladder

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

It's me, the dummy still excited for these schlocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF-oyCwaArU

The Nun 2: Back in the Habit

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I really like Insidious even if it’s basically a jump-scare clip show. It was a really fun theater experience. I also think the astral projection stuff is at the very least, interesting and pretty original. Within the Patrick- Wilson-Verse, Conjuring is solid but I always thought Insidious was having a bit more fun. I’ll never forget some of those scares and I definitely didn’t expect Darth Maul to loving show up watching the first one lol.

Haven’t seen the sequels beyond 2 tho.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Phy posted:

I always find the Warrens as depicted in the Conjuring to be a Little Much. Like, we get it, guys, you love eachother and God very much, let's get back to the spookies, yeah?

I thought it was pretty tolerable, tongue-in-cheek, campy in the first 2 but by the 3rd one it went full “these two are literally the Christian Avengers”.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Tho in the end- gently caress the Warrens, Insidious rules I mean look at this loving guy!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Zwabu posted:

I haven’t watched Joe Bob in quite some time. Just looked over the listings and wow they have shown some bangers. Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane? Housebound? Posession? I have to get caught up on rewatching some of these.

edit - actually looking over all the seasons they have covered a TON of thread favorites.

A lot of it seems to be based on films that are already on Shudder and there are some gems on there. Altho occasionally they will upload something just for the show and a lot of films he covers come and go as streaming services are known to do.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 8, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

“Tiptoe through the tulips” shadow ghost kid from Insidious is def DLC material

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Never wanted something to be real more in my life

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Return of the Living Dead is easily the film I’ve put on the most just “because” and I could watch it 500 more times. So that’s prolly my comfort film. Frankenhooker is a close second.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Deadite posted:

Who else in this thread owns the special necronomicon edition of the Evil Dead DVD?

I do and it’s totally degraded. Keep it in a ziploc lol

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

You should wrap the ziploc in some barb wire and then stash it under the floorboards just to gently caress with whoever finds it.

And let some bearded hipster ignore my warnings and further the decomposition with their filthy oily fingers????

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:OCTOBER CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT :spooky:

Hard to believe, but we're less than 3 months away from another October Challenge. As I've mentioned before, Fran has passed the torch to me at least for this year, so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row with as little procrastination as possible. I've never done anything like this before, so we're going back to our roots with a more traditional set of challenges, not the Spooky Bingo of recent years. I hope everyone is ok with that and it's not too much of a bummer for those that enjoyed Spooky Bingo.

That said, I do want to try to put a little bit of a different spin on things in a few ways. I'll spoiler tag the specifics just in case there are people who like to be surprised by these things when October rolls around.

First, we're going to incorporate more opportunities to complete the challenges with rewatches. Rewatching old favorites is something I always do a lot of in October, and allowing for more of that seemed like a popular idea when I brought it up in the May Challenge thread.

Second, we're going to take a cue from gey muckle mowser's challenge in May and do some overlapping challenges, i.e. a subset of the challenges will be able to be used in combination with other challenges so that if you plan things out you can kill two birds with one stone.

So, the overall format I was thinking about was 13 rewatch-eligible challenges, 13 new-to-you challenges, and then 5 of the meta/overlap challenges(these will be the broader challenges, for example gey muckle mowser put the geographical challenge in this category). With 31 total challenges, the prize drawing would be based on tiers where you can earn 4 possible entries. One entry for just watching 31 movies, and then one entry for completing a certain # of challenges(maybe one entry per 10 challenges completed?)

As always the "prizes" won't really be the motivating factor here, we're doing this for Halloween spirit, but there will be prizes in the form of horror digital codes. So I guess my main question right now is about the number of challenges. Too many? I feel like erring on the side of too many is probably the way to go for October, people like challenges but we don't want it to feel overwhelming to complete them either.

All that said, my PMs are open and I'm looking for suggestions for the specific challenges. We'll be using some of the old mainstays of course, and I've come up with a few of my own already but we're gonna need fresh ideas before this is all said and done. Thanks in advance for not being a dick as I try to not ruin the legacy of this great challenge!

Sounds great. The more challenges the better, helps me make decisions with an overwhelming amount of choices and barely enough time to get to 31. Definitely would like re-watches to count for some challenges, I need my spooky season favorites and I’m sure I can find categories to fit them into. I’ll PM you some dumb challenge ideas!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mover posted:

I’ll be contrarian as I do feel like 31 challenges are too many—while it’s all optional, I anticipate quite a few less prolific challenge posters or new people who might otherwise try for their first October seeing that and either noping out right away or burning out quickly, or, worst of all, finishing all of it but not having a good time watching horror movies.

Along with that, with so many challenges are a good chunk of them just going to be so open ended that they won’t actually encourage you to seek out something you might not have watched? Is it just a bunch of checkboxes you can fit stuff you were going to watch anyway into? Then we reach a “what’s the point” phase for me.

If you look back at previous challenges i think there’s a decent balance of ones that are steering you in a specific direction, like for example a particular country or era, and broader challenges. Like a challenge that is based on picking a film with a specific word in the title, that could go in a thousand different directions but regardless the chances are you are watching something you wouldn’t have picked otherwise.

A lot of them are just super creative and fun so IMO I don’t see how more challenges would deter anyone. For people that like the challenges they have more to enjoy, for people who only do some challenges they have more options.

I would just make it clear that nobody has to do all the challenges and have some sort of tier system to reward you if you only do a few.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Nope, turns out it was this movie, haha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7dofHBCfzo

That is the stupidest loving title ever, it belongs in a museum

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I think the solution is to have a ungodly amount of possible challenges so even the 31 movie ppl can pick and chose. There are enough weirdos ITT, such as myself, who like coming up with these things. Spreadsheets and poo poo!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I just like the challenges so if there was still 31 and the tiers were something like 6-6-6, and 13-13-5 that would be cool too.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Crescent Wrench posted:

I feel like I have to agree because I like this one so much I own it.

(This is the only thread on the forums where anyone might get a kick out of it, so I just had to.)

Welp, there goes some dollars out of my account

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Lumbermouth posted:

Killer Klowns was already mentioned so I’m gonna say the Return of the Living Dead version of Partytime

https://youtu.be/0Ly4611uL6Q

:peanut:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Phy posted:

How's the second and third hell house llc movies?

They both aren’t great. Gets way too bogged down into lore, which IMO wasn’t why the first one worked. Not really enough juice in that series to warrant 3 movies. But if you really liked the first one like I did, they are worth checking out. I certainly didn’t regret finishing off the series. I think I liked the 3rd one better than the 2nd.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

HK5000 posted:

Did anybody catch the season finale of Joe Bob Briggs on Friday? Day of the Dead, my favorite (non-comedy) Zombie of all time. My favorite horror comedy is without a doubt Return of the Living Dead

Now I know maybe there's a few of you here who don't like JBB because a few of the comments he's made over the years. I'm not here to defend those. However I believe his commentary on Romero's final great move is excellent and should be heard. It's relevant. If you haven't seen Day of the Dead (the OG.... there's a remake floating out there) it's about the institutions that run our current society breaking down. Those institutions. The Military industrial industrial complex specifically. Shudder is a great investment of your money for a streaming service (that's the end of my plug for them), but I'll be dammed if Day of the Dead doesn't get better with each re-watch. And yes Dawn of the Dead is phenomenal too but in our world run with politics what they are I think it's relevance has faded.

Just do it for nothing else if you like excellent kills and don't buy into the shade that some people throw onto the film as it's the rising star in the trilogy for many.

I think I still like Dawn best but Day’s a masterpiece and I feel like it has almost surpassed the others in praise around these parts. But that’s just in this bubble and I do happen to be the chairman of the Joe Pilato fan club.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

Event Horizon is a better haunted house movie than 13 Ghosts is

13 Ghost ain’t got poo poo on Thir13en Ghosts

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

:shuckyes:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Saw became pure-strain schlock at some point

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

I think "rewatch" is a nebulous term. I watched all the SCREAMs this year to prep for SCREAM VI, so rewatching them again in October feels like a cheat. Meanwhile, I haven't seen THE FRIGHTENERS since I saw it in theaters in 1997. Maybe a 20 year grace period or something similar would be acceptable?

20 years? How old do you think everyone is lol.

We should stop thinking of re-watching as some sort of cheat, like there is value in watching a film multiple times in a short amount of time- you can learn so much and find new things to talk about each time. Just as there is value in watching new stuff. I say the less restrictions the better, I personally always want to watch spooky season favorites in October as much as I want to find new ones.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

The average regdate of the top 20 posters in this thread is 2008.3 ( :regd08: ), meaning they're at least 33 (assuming they regged the day they turned 18). We're old now lol.

Oh I’m aware but the only horror film I saw before I was 12 was Ernest Scared Stupid and as much as I love that film I don’t think I want it to be the only one I can rewatch for the challenge thread!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Crescent Wrench posted:

You'll watch Ernest Scared Stupid every day for 31 days and you'll LIKE it.

Day 28: I’m starting to think this Ernest guy has a few screws loose

Xiahou Dun posted:

I watched a lot of the major pillars of the horror genre by the time I was 15, and I don't think that's rare in this thread. I could stand to rewatch some classics that didn't jive with dumb teen me. Like some of the later Texas Chainsaws.

Cool, I did not. But if the idea is make sure we are inviting to newcomers, making it so you can’t re-watch a Halloween favorite for the thread because you have watched it in last two decades seems a tadddd restrictive.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 1, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

One challenge that's already been suggested that I think might be good is Rewatch a movie that scared you as a kid that you haven't seen in a long time(the longer the better) OR if you didn't watch horror movies as a kid then rewatch one of the movies that first got you into the horror genre

So that would be one particular challenge, not a general rule.

gently caress now I really have to watch Ernest Scared Stupid.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The gulf between the two is so huge is hilarious, I've gone back since thinking maybe it was just surprise that Chapter One was decent that I rated it so highly but no, it really is absurd how bad Chapter Two is. One thing I am 100% certain of, though, is that Chapter One has tons of sequences shot for 3D and this would have been perfect in that format.

I remember waiting in the theater for Two to kick into the next gear and get anywhere near One but it just never happens. There was individual moments I liked but it was just dull watching the same gags again. I get the whole thematic cyclical nature of the scares repeating themselves across movies but it’s not very fun to watch. The effects cgi and otherwise in One felt fun and scary and in Two they just looked bad. It’s such an interesting contrast where so much of the same imagery and themes work in one movie and not the other.

I don’t know if the solution really is intercutting the timelines or stretching it out to a series. Maybe the solution is to let a lot of the source material go and focus on making a good feature length story and not worrying so much about fan service. I sat there watching Two knowing that when it came to the Chud stuff or the flat ending it wasn’t going to translate to the screen and guess what, it didn’t!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Okay so far I've got uh Cast a Deadly Spell, The Mothman Prophecies, Exorcist 3. All rewatches but I'm still looking for investigative horror movies.

Angel Heart

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

We don’t need another NoES, the 2010 remake said everything that was needed to be said- giant fart noise

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Trailer for this came on before Mission Impossible and the crowd was PUMPED.

It also came on after some horrendous Expendables 4 trailer and it was a great contrast between bad schlock and good schlock.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Zwabu posted:

On the topic of franchises.. focusing on the original movie from each franchise, which do you think are relatively weak or not all time classics?

Like most films that kick off franchises are all time classics, that is why the studios kept chasing that dragon making more films.

So Halloween, ANOES, The Exorcist, Hellraiser and Scream are examples of originals that are clear cut classicss IMO.

Even though I am fond of it, I think the original Friday the 13th is a tier or two down from these although it does have that scene with Kevin Bacon going for it.

(I saw Halloween, F13, and ANOES in the theaters as a teen during their original runs and had a great experience at all of them.)

There often seems to be little correlation between the quality of the original film and the franchise it spawned. Hellraiser is a great example with an original that is one of the greats IMO but clearly one of the worst franchises past the second film.

Child’s Play is great but it’s hardly my favorite Chucky at this point

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

Going to be watching Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum tonight.

Soon I'm gonna go pick up some popcorn and something to drink. Any recommendations?

That’s a fun one, if you haven’t seen Deadstream yet then make it a double feature

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Darthemed posted:

What are some horror movie posters/box art you think are great, for whatever reason of appeal?

I dig a lot about this design.
Skeleton as a containment unit? Rad.
The extra-pulpy art look of the woman framed in an open coffin? Great.
The way the skeleton's lifting of its crimson robe makes it look like it has an amazing shoulder-pad suit from the '80s?

:discourse:

That’s a wonderful poster, never seen it before and now I am in love with that fancy skeleton magician.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

It's kinda surprising how little gothic rock is actually featured in horror movies. The real standouts are Return of the Living Dead (prominently featuring 45 Grave, plus other goodies on the soundtrack) and Bauhaus popping up in The Hunger. Doomsday's use of Siouxsie's "Spellbound" is another memorable one.

Another iconic use of Bauhaus in Night of the Demons

https://youtu.be/Qjua87z9OW0 (prolly NSFW)

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

It's me, the Malignant Not-Liker

Way too long, ugly as hell, dumb as rocks. It certainly has good moments and their heart was in the right place, though. Not bad, but forgettable.

One word I would not use to describe Malignant is “forgettable”

I still see the chair shot everytime I close my eyes

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The quaint Victorian house with the interior square footage of an airplane hanger, industrial fans included.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Why are we stuck in the 80s/90s here? They had vhs tapes in the 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

This could actually work