Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Ground floor in a epic thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

david_a posted:

Not my idea, but Jim Henson’s Creature Shop working on a kaiju movie would have been amazing. They could have pulled off some insane giant puppet thing for Godzilla to fight

Edit: for that matter, them making any large monster in a horror movie would have been amazing too. Thinking of something like the giant thing at the end of Species II

Didn’t they do the mascots in the upcoming FNaF movie? or was that Weta’s crazy rear end again

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

What's everyone's comfort horror? I'm going through some rough stuff medically right now and I've been rewatching all the Corman Poe movies. The whole vibe of these movies just makes me feel good.

btw for Poe Cycle-heads: one of the other Datlow-edited film-centric horror anthologies has a story by Kim Newman called “Illimitable Dominion”, which is funny and which you’ll probably like

edit: if your library can’t find it, apparently it was performed on this ep of a horror fiction pcast https://talestoterrify.com/episodes/tales-to-terrify-no-25-kim-newman/

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I feel like I’m constantly posting around the periphery of actual horror movie stuff but there’s a funny thread on Bluesky with Mike Flanagan posting about the insanely awful notes he got from Netflix execs on his spooky stuff for them—no idea if this link will work but it rocks:

https://bsky.app/profile/flanaganfilm.bsky.social/post/3k2dlcdy34w2j

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Ah gently caress. Let me copy paste

quote:

Wish I'd kept a record of some of the gems from my time at Netflix. Bad notes are bad notes, but that place was special. There were times I seriously wondered if my execs had been drugged

Just a tiny example - there was one exec on Midnight Mass who just couldn't accept that Riley - who had just been released from prison - didn't have a job.

I pointed out that Riley trying to find purpose, and having absolutely nothing, was important for how we meet the character, but they wouldn't be dissuaded.

"We at least need to him filling out job applications."

I pushed back again, and said that Riley specifically talks about life after prison and how he has been reduced to simply existing, without any direction or purpose...

"What about a montage where he fills out a lot of applications on the mainland, but no one calls him back?"

I asked if a single shot of him having to check the box saying he had been convicted of a crime would do it, but the directive came in - it had to be a montage. We really needed to see that he was TRYING to get a job. If he didn't TRY to get a job, we would never understand the character

"He's just some passive guy if he's not trying to fill out job applications."

So we added a few scenes to the pilot script. Each one meant we had to find a new location, just for one shot of Riley asking for - and filling out - a job application. Over and over again

And finally, when they realized the impact it had on the budget create this thrilling, massive "job application" sequence, they let it go.

"Can you just at least add some dialog about him acknowledging that he should be filling out job applications?"

We added several lines. I cut them in post.

Oh, and one last one - they put enormous pressure on us to "add scares" to the pilot of Midnight Mass. One scene they insisted on doing as additional photography was to help "explain what happened to the cats."

They pitched a scene where we see the "angel" stalking and killing a stray cat. I HATED it. They dug in, though - "if we don't see this, no one will understand what happened to the cats, and this will add a huge scare to the pilot"

I protested and protested and protested but ultimately we lost the battle. So there is this scene in the first episode where we follow a cat, who just walks around, and then there's a POV shot through the bushes, and then it gets grabbed out of frame.

It's like a feline Friday the 13th scene. It remains the stupidest scene I've ever filmed.

Okay okay okay last one - THE MIDNIGHT CLUB.

"We need to know why Ilonka chose to go to Brightcliffe."

"Well it's a hospice, and she has cancer -"

"But what mysteries can she unlock there?"

"Well we have a bit about her thinking she might find a cure"

"And does she?"

"... "

"You mean, does she find a cure for cancer?"

"Yes."

"No, she doesn't."

"Why?"

"... well there is no cure, that we know of"

"I really thought she'd find one."

"... wouldn't that be insulting to the many people who deal with cancer?"

"I don't know, it's depressing if she doesn't cure it."

he goes on to say that, on the other hand, the teams on Doctor Sleep, Ouija: Origin of Evil, and Gerald’s Game were all actually fantastic and really helped improve and protect the work, so it’s not all bad. but funny trivia for the Mikeheads

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Martman posted:

I think there was some throwaway line about Madison being a girl scout. I think it was while the villain was befriending her, and she probably ignored it because people assume girl scouts are BS.

Yep, this is it. While watching I immediately clocked that in a “this’ll come back later” way, though I didn’t expect exactly how until some more happened

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

if it’s filming in the UK and they’re working under an Equity (British version of SAG-AFTRA) contract they’re probably good, but if they’re filming in the US they’d better not be filming, haha.

completely different thought: my sister is in training to become a child protective worker, a job I did for a few years a quarter of my lifetime ago. I know there’s Case 39 and Daylight (2013) (bad movie!); which other horror movies are about social services workers?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

The Baby (1973), which is... a helluva movie.

anything where the Wikipedia article says “The film is considered a cult classic” is a have-to-watch, hell yeah

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

It’s Killer Klowns from Outer Space by the dickies

Yep

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Sort of related, but the Carrie musical kicks rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYFL9hm1k9I

Evil Dead the musical rules too. *evilly* it’s better than Rise

and yeah seeing that Dokken single ftw. this thread rocks

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I’m so jealous of you guys.. I check for shows near me every autumn; I think this year I’d have to drive to Nashua

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Lol

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Gonz posted:

Earlier this evening, I explained to someone the plot of Highlander 2, and they were incredulous over it.

Should’ve waited to play this first https://www.chocolatehammer.org/?page_id=6083

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Nothing precludes you from remaking something down the line if it means a lot to you. Lucky Mckee did it with All Cheerleaders Die which was one of his early shorts. Not the same but Malum was also a remake in pretty short order. My unsolicited advice is make what you love, now and always. People know when you haven't.

Yeah, CelticPredator, this is my vote. Realistically you have the passion and the followthrough to have made stuff already, as an adult. You’ve gotten it screened, you’ve made industry contacts (even in a casual way), all of which can’t be said for a lot of people

So I believe even if you make a feature and don’t quite feel like you nailed it, you’d have no problem taking a second run at it once you’ve earned a little goodwill, or matured a bit as a filmmaker, or whatever else time will do to your abilities

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Space Fish posted:

FYI for those going in blind: no Eurythmics at all

Man gently caress this

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Broadcast Signal Intrusion (2021) is investigative but it’s only okay. it sort of feels like the movie version of an amateur creepypasta set unconvincingly in the 90s that nevertheless has one or two sticky images. I liked it OK though, and unlike a lot of the other biggies most of you prob haven’t seen it! I like Harry Shum Jr. a lot

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Spermanent Record posted:

Have you got any horror short story recommendations for Grade 7, 12 years olds?

I'm thinking The Jaunt, to start them off with a bang (after editing out that line about dog semen wtf).

Something I don't have to check line by line for obscenity, but will still give them a good spook.

Should be noted the Book Barn horror thread is here too https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856663&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

I started that conversation because I feel like a lot of horror soundtracks wind up feeling very same-y. A majority of them are trying to do the same poo poo, e.g. be vaguely spoopy or provide stings, so they kind of just do that in the obvious ways over and over.

Just once, I want some action-horror murder nonsense set to Jerusalem Ridge.

I don't think that's such a big ask.

I was wondering about jazz. is there a horror soundtrack that’s all jazz? nothing is coming to me right now. I sort of vaguely remember Ganja & Hess running the gamut of Black music, like there’s some Afrobeat, some gospel…

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

imagining a skarror film and smiling serenely

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I think that movie for me is Rock & Rule. I tried to describe it to the kids in my kindergarten class and they thought it sounded like the stupidest thing ever.

this title had to have been what inspired the Scharpling-Wurster bit, right?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Megan Tremethick…

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

I really liked One Of The Dead but things where you can't tell people why it's worthwhile without spoiling the whole thing are frustrating to recommend to people.

I spent most of my idle time (showering, trying to fall asleep, etc.) trying to solve this conundrum and what I’ve figured out is “it’s about filmmaking, and family, and you wouldn’t expect it but I guarantee you’ll finish the movie with your heart warmed”. but there’s still a little too much there

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Nothing on Netflix is good. Except ITYSL but that’s not horror

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

should’ve gone for “loose canon” but good post

edit: dammit

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

For a $160 plastic animated skeleton from Costco, this loving guy didn't need to go this hard: https://www.costco.com/6%27-punk-rocker-animated-skeleton.product.4000154176.html

You need to go back and pick that guy up, you need him in your life.

It’s so much cooler in Spanish

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Watch Chucky start a loving war

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Kanopy’s offerings are so much better than Hoopla’s it’s insane, so naturally my local libe only a subscription to the latter

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Kanopy is a lot more expensive for libraries to get a subscription to (this also determines how many kanopy credits you get in a month)

if you're a comic book nerd though, it is absolutely ridonkulous how many great comics you can read for free on Hoopla (including lots of Creepy and Eerie collections for us horror heads). Even before Comixology got bought by Amazon and poo poo the bed, Hoopla had rendered it completely obsolete for me.

this is sort of what I figured the case was so I’m not mad about it or anything! maybe it would behoove me to dip into becoming a Comix Guy…

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

There's several flash emulators out there you can use

Yeah, Ruffle is a pretty big one—it has a browser add-on and they recently collaborated with Neopets to rescue like 50 games from 2007 or whatever lol

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the original short story is so awesome, i dunno how faithful that short adaptation is but i've always thought a faithful short adaptation would be sick.

yeah it rips. Night Shift had a bunch of really memorable shorts in there and I’m not surprised to see they’ve made movies out of, like, all of them

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

on Long Island we have the Bayville theme park—which I’m not sure has a name beyond “Bayville Theme Park”—transforming into the Bayville Scream Park, with like four haunted houses. but I’m not much of a HHhead due to my preference for a frisson of dread over getting jarringly jump scared. (I’d go with friends though!)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

SAW II is wretched, Whannel has openly said it was a repurposed spec-script rush job and it shows.

I was just reading Darren Lynn Bousman’s Wikipedia page (I am always doing poo poo like this) and this is true—he wrote a script for his own movie and showed it to a producer who went “this is basically Saw” and then passed it along to those producers. pretty fun trivia

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

On the other hand you’re giving money to James Dolan. So no winners.

you mean the guitarist for my favorite band, JD and the Straight Shot?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I’m from New York—way too easy—but consider myself more specifically a Long Islander—also way too easy.

but most stuff is set in Suffolk County, in rich people areas, or shot elsewhere though; where are our lovely low-budget indies starring south shore Nassau dirtbags?!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Isn’t Final Destination set in Montauk or something?

that’s Suffolk County! but yeah it’s set on Long Island. mostly filmed in Vancouver but I think a little bit here

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

World’s Fair was quite ftw for me but it helps if you’re a femme or Cancerian loner type millennial or under with a habit of falling down uncomfortable Internet rabbit holes. which…actually probably applies to a large number of posters in this thread so there’s gotta be some other X factor that makes me really dig it

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

this interview is nearly two years old and you guys probably discussed it then but it’s about the idea the guys who wrote the Hellraiser reboot had for a Halloween reboot and wtf I want to see that now https://bloody-disgusting.com/exclu...-phantom-limbs/

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

b) Ghosts are real

c) We have the technology to put ghosts in Billy puppets

Both of theee are true motherfucker.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Stryder posted:

last time this topic came up, I recommended Turkey Shoot from 1982. I discovered it on Shudder last year and it's starts as just another take on The Most Dangerous Game/Running Man but then gets totally bonkers. Best to go into it blind because there's one part that literally made me :lol: and shout, "NO loving WAY!" The hero is played by Steve Railsback, best known as the star of Lifeforce and his costar is Olivia Hussey, AKA Juliet from the Zefirelli Romeo & Juliet that we all had to watch in high school.

it’s funny that this is the frame of reference you used for Hussey in this thread and not Black Christmas hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

how do we find stuff on Letterboxd with less than 10 reviews please.