Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

BrownPepper posted:

What are some of people's favorite castration scenes?

Not so much favorite as a 'well, that was different'. In Piranha 3DD, the guy who freaks about getting a piranha on his penis while having sex and cuts it off.

Shrecknet posted:

Agree that found footage sucks, both from a motion sickness angle and from a "why are you filming this?" angle, but the related 'horror mockumentary' genre gave us Lake Mungo and I will actual-factual murder you if you think that movie isn't the tightest poo poo ever.

Just watched Savageland and it very, very clearly was taking inspiration from Lake Mungo but tried to do its own thing and it was only OK.

Found footage where they apply basic common sense on the fundamentals tends to be pretty good. Hell House LLC gave us a decent reason for them to still be filming. Savageland, I'd consider that more of a 'found photography' film. The B&W photos were exceptionally impacting.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I saw The Boogeyman in the theater. I actually liked it! The creature design was alright, and they wisely keep it offscreen or shadowed for the first 90% of the movie. Mostly I was impressed by the sound design and sound mixing. None of the modern lovely dialogue mixing issues, goes from perfectly legible sound to shockingly loud at just the right times.

Boogeyman was a lot better than what I was expecting. I did like they leaned closer to the short story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

I have the google doc link, is it ok to post here? It was PM to me so I always just did the same.

I'd appreciate a PM of the link.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

It's dumb as hell

But having watched all 11 films (plus the short) in the series the week it dropped on VOD, that's still good enough for top 5-6. The films from 1996-2011 get dire

Having also sat through all of them, I agree they hit a serious dire patch. Having also sat through all the Amityville franchise, I can say Children of the Corn's clunkers are worlds better than how bad Amityville gets.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Leatherhead posted:

Nice job man! Good environmental story-telling, and impressive practical effects (especially for $200).

One clarification - what I took away was protagonist has trauma/anxiety about a previous car accident and the alien is using its telepathy to set that memory as their battleground, right? Because of the way the flashbacks are used at 3:08 and 3:49, while we're catching up with events, I thought at first he'd hit the alien with his car, and was lying about how it happened, but I got there.

And one little note - the pacing/tension between 13:00 and 13:27 feels a little off. It's hard to put my finger on; I follow the events just fine but there's not much sense of urgency or confrontation? It might be a sound design thing - you could try adding an ADR line from the man in the van, or some zappy sounds from him charging his weapon, or even just some distortion to show main character's disorientation but that quick segment feels a little flat right now.

On the whole though, good job! How many hours of shooting would you say went into it?

That was scary good for $200. Makes me think of the zombie film I did when I was a kid and what could've happened if we had actual money instead of Mom's lasagna.

On first watch I was wondering if the guy missed a dose of his meds from accident trauma and hallucinating until the alien showed up and was real , second watch everything clicked. Not really a flaw of the short, but more I had a cat being needy while I was watching so I missed a thing or two.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Hollismason posted:

If you have horror short films or horror videos that you've made please post them and I will put them in the original thread post as horror thread originals and give you credit then link to them.

Mine, sadly, are lost to time. The zombie one was on super8, and the Dracula one was on early VHS and after decades, yeah..whelp.

Hollismason posted:

I'm holding my 3rd gang tag out for this year's October challenge in the hope that we get another gang tag

That makes me wonder, is there a limit to how many gang tags someone could have aside from being obnoxiously long?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I feel like Sinister really limited its own potential with the moving houses thing. Also the black metal bad guy just didnt land as well as Insidious’s darth maul.

The Sinister films were okay enough. Buguul's look worked for the setting. But what really was standout for the films were the mini murder reels. When I was watching, I was more anticipating the next film mini than the main story. With Insidious, from what I've seen is just more compelling overall, the storyline revelations mesh rather than feel smooshed in, the characters come across organically fleshed out. I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing Red Door soon as there's room in the showings when I'm not working.

It's such a mixed bag living in a city that loves scary movies. It's great to see them do well, but dammit, I wanna see them on the big screen too.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

all this and they couldn't get the Dark Universe off the ground smdh

I think what happened with Dark Universe tanking hard was that the studio execs were impressively stupid in handling it. They were looking at the shared Marvel and DC films and were all 'oooh shiny!', and looked at League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and said 'we gotta plan!' which frankly sucked so hard it blew.

It is possible to do a Universal Monster shared universe, but it requires actual familiarity with the material instead of looking at 'we got a mummy, a wolfguy..etc...'. Ages back I was in a classic monsters discussion group and we had a thing where a member would get picked to be lead conversation head for a month and that person tended to do something special like show off their collection from being a Monster Kid, another shared recipes he'd gotten from the various actor's family members, and I wrote what was pretty much a fanfic where the monsters got the happy endings. Imhotep was the mastermind having learned from his missteps and went through recruiting. Frankenstein's Monster was the only other 'canon' recruit with the others being connected such as the wolfman was Talbot's grandson and while Larry had been cured, the lycanthropy skipped a generation, the vampire was a dhampir who's mother was a maid Dracula fed on while he was settling in at Carfax Abbey...etc. Some monsters didn't make it like Eric just went missing after the Opera fiasco, and the Creature from the Black Lagoon couldn't be found and presumed in deep hiding or extinct. The antagonists were the descendants of the assorted film's heroes who all had their emotional baggage. Ending had Imhotep finally reconciling with Anksunamun and having a comfortable life together, Wolfman was at peace with the lycanthropy, Frankenstein's Monster got a new body and functioning mind, had gone to med school and was now a teacher who'd run with the joke of 'I am the monster' when students would ask about his last name and his scars.

The story went over well with the group and over the years I've debated doing one for the Hammer films just for fun.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

watched Sleepaway Camp for the first time over the weekend with some family. Unfortunately, i already knew about the twist but I kept my mouth shut so others could experience it. Very silly movie that I enjoyed a lot even tho it did that old movie thing where it ends abruptly with no resolution. But drat, that final shot gave me fuckin chills

Judy kept cracking me up, just no chill whatsoever

the woman that played the adoptive mom was so incredibly terrible at acting that her performance wrapped back around to being mesmerizing, i can see why the last thread gave out so many avs of her

The anniversary showing at the indie theater by me was very packed. The turnout was so big, they weren't even using the ticket dispenser, but just tearing off tickets from the roll.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

The thing is that the DC shared universe is a disaster too. There’s kind of no successful shared universe out there right now except Marvel. And Marvel only kind of set out to do this. They made a bunch of decent individual films first and then tried to make them all work together. Everyone else who set out to make a cinematic universe has repeatedly put the cart before the horse. The Dark Universe did promotional stuff and loaded the Mummy up with Easter eggs and cameos. But you gotta just make a movie or two people want to see first. Then you can build off that. But everyone wants their billion dollar toy first.

It comes across more as the execs got all 'new thing, gotta cash in' without really looking into where the superhero franchises were doing things right and where they were dropping the ball. I agree completely with you on there needs to be a film or two that are solid for the foundation, and too many are putting the cart before the horse. I still feel a Dark Universe is possible, but not with the current mindset with the studio executives.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

My comfort horror tends to be scattered through the older horror films from the 60s to 80s. I've lost count how many times I've sat through The Raven with Vincent Price or Return of the Living Dead.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

C2C - 2.0 posted:

When I was 5(!!!!!!!), my aunt had me watch The Exorcist with her while babysitting me :lmao:

My parents couldn't find a babysitter so they took me with when they saw The Exorcist at the show. Still wasn't enough for me to invoke the family rule of if I wanted to leave for whatever reason, I just had to say so and we'd leave. Only invoked it on a Bambi theatrical rerelease.

edit to add:

Baron von Eevl posted:

I hypothetically do, in that I own a DVD that sits in a plastic shell covered in polyester batting and surrounded by very fine particles of rubber. ED2 also.

Same here. Turned out the latex/whatever they used for the skinalike degraded very quickly depending on the environment. Everyone I know who bought it ended up with a fragmented casing.

M_Sinistrari fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 16, 2023

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:OCTOBER CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT :spooky:

As always the "prizes" won't really be the motivating factor here, we're doing this for Halloween spirit, but there will be prizes in the form of horror digital codes. So I guess my main question right now is about the number of challenges. Too many? I feel like erring on the side of too many is probably the way to go for October, people like challenges but we don't want it to feel overwhelming to complete them either.

Only concern I have about the amount of challenges is that they should be posted early on because quite a few of us end up in the spot where we've already watched/reviewed stuff that would've applied for a challenge that ended up getting posted after. I did like it sitting around 13 challenges because well, 13, and that it also allowed some flexibility with fitting in personal challenges and avoids the possibility of the challenges becoming the focal point of the October viewing.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

That might make me drop my biotic gods tag for the space.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

Not playing anywhere near me

I'm seeing at least Barbie and Oppenheimer tomorrow (depending on the time I arrive I might also go for Mission Impossible, Insidious and/or No Hard Feelings. I preordered the Barbie and Oppenheimer tickets a month ago, so excited for both and I got a double-feature shirt today :getin:), and I'm thinking about seeing Cobweb either later in the weekend, or sometime next weekend as a double feature with Talk To Me

Which Oppenheimer? The 70mm, the IMAX/XD or the standard?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Hrmm gonna change my answer to original My Bloody Valentine folk ballad. Its catchy!

I do miss when they'd do a song specifically for the movie.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Still playing catch up in the thread because it's been absolutely insane at work between Barbie, Oppenheimer, Insidious: The Red Door and Sound of Freedom. Lobby's been a mix of people in 1940s dress up and more vibrant pink than an explosion of a pallet of pepto bismol.

So far I'm interested in Haunted Mansion, but then again I liked the Eddie Murphy one. Talk to Me, I'm iffy but leaning towards giving it a go. The poster we've got up really isn't eyecatching, but the trailer was better and hopefully the dog'll be okay. Five Nights at Freddy's I'll give a go. I wasn't really liking the games, but I did find the lore intriguing. Exorcist, I'm not sure on. The poster looks lousy, and going from the trailer it kinda feels like they're just trying to draw on The Exorcist name. I'll see what more gets said about it before making a solid decision.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

OOOOOOOH YEAH WE'RE BACK BABY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3PzUo4P21c

:getin: GET THE gently caress IN

Okay, that actually looks intriguing. Never expected to hear The Hollies in a horror trailer.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Some in the thread liked my horror trailer/commercials halloween playlist on yt last october. I made it into this thing a couple of days ago.

Holy poo poo! That was yours? It popped on my recommendeds and plan to use it in my family and friends share for October's countdown to Halloween.

drhermes posted:

I get the same effect by being so drat old. I watch I movie I saw in 1978 and I've forgotten so much of it that it's like a new movie. What's weird is now I like stuff I used to hate and the reverse.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The entire reason I started a Letterboxd account was to specifically track my horror watches so I didn't get tangled in on myself especially since I saw so many in such a short amount of time. Now it's fun because I get to decide what counts as horror (with one exception, a non-horror film I reviewed because I just kinda hated it).

Just from the sheer volume of horror films I've watched over the years, some do get mixed up in my head. Toss in how many I watched when I had a raging case of the flu or too tired and unable to sleep and unless it's something I've watched multiple times, there's a chance of I'm not sure if I've seen it or not. My Letterboxd account started as a way for me to archive the reviews I do for the movie challenges as well as keep track of ones I've done or not because between the reviews and how much nattering about films here in the thread, I have moments of not sure where I talked about something.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Another thing I really loved about Talk To Me: Nobody was stupid just for the sake of moving the plot along. Sure, they make bad decisions, but in the context, they all seem reasonable. Like letting Riley use the hand, it's already established as long as they follow the rules, using it is harmless, since they've all done it multiple times by that point. Or how the mother accuses Mia of giving him drugs, then once they test him and find out he's clean, she apologizes and lets Mia be alone with him. It takes a lot of good writing to create a compelling horror plot like that that doesn't involve someone momentarily lapsing into being stupid just to justify keeping the story going.

While I found Talk to Me average and predictable, I really liked that no one was stupid for the sake of plot. Even with Riley wanting to use the hand, the teens originally refused him until Mia talked them into it, then botched it with breaking the rules, it was all exactly normal for teens who do feel on some level they're indestructible.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Hollismason posted:

The Toxic Avenger is a perfect Sunday Morning movie.

Yes, yes it is.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

thatfuturekid posted:

I know it's been talked about a while back, but I really, REALLY disliked Insidious: The Red Door. I like 1&2, and think 3 is actually pretty decent (Last Key is a bore tho) but this one was such a huge miss for me. I am just going to copy/paste my letterboxd review below:

**SPOILERS BELOW**
-Dalton gains access to the "further" via a countdown exercise in his art class. This alone is silly because I am very sure that at some point in the 9 years before that point, someone has counted down from 10.

If I remember rightly, it wasn't just counting down. The instructor had them digging deep inside to uncover forgotten influences while counting down. Dalton was already aware on some level there was something buried deep from when he was a kid and the exercise was just ripping off the mental scab he'd already been picking at.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Von Pluring posted:

Yeah, straight up garbage. The first one is okay, as a sort of mystery movie with added torture. Heavily inspired by Seven.

I gave up around the third film. When it started to branch out into the protegees, it felt like the franchise went into :regd08: . Only reason I'm curious about the upcoming one is it's more back to basics.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

One of the things about Ghostbusters that is somewhat forgotten now almost 40(!) years later, when it came out home video was really just getting started. When the VHS was released they charged $80 for it, and this was before big rental chains like Blockbuster were prevalent(the first Blockbuster opened in 1985, the same year as the Ghostbusters VHS).

So that was a big part of my first memory of Ghostbusters, my family was not in a position to be spending $80 for a VHS, not to mention we didn't even have a player yet. BUT we did have some friends who had more money than we did and they invited us over for a movie night with the Ghostbusters VHS. At 2 or 3 years old it felt like a massive event to be watching that movie in someone's living room, and I'm guessing that's one reason why my parents allowed me to watch it at that age in the first place.

Probably the best example of how new the VHS market was at that time, Beverly Hills Cop beat Ghostbusters in VHS sales because they sold the Beverly Hills Cop VHS for $30, so Ghostbusters was priced at more than double it's competition. You'd never see anything like that today, the price point of blu rays is pretty well established and nobody every tries to charge more than about $30 unless it's a really nice collectors edition.

I've shared the story before, but our first VCR, my Mom had to get my Grandpa to co-sign a loan to afford it. It was a huge clonker of a machine and it kept working until the late 90s. I seriously debated giving it a proper funeral for how long that machine lasted working fine. Ghostbusters was the first not-bootleged film we bought and we scrimped and saved to afford it. Because we didn't have much in our area like now of just go to a Walmart or similar store and buy one off the shelf, we went to a video rental place and talked with them about ordering a copy and we'd buy it from them. Most of the VHS of the time was insanely priced compared to now so rental places were pretty much the only ones able to afford copies. Even blank VHS tapes were very pricey and only carried at few stores. We'd have to drive into the city to Rolling Stones Records to find them.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

MrMojok posted:

All the time. I did a lot of this until they got wise and started using something called “Macrovision” or similar that would somehow scramble any copy you tried to make.

Even when there was no copy protection you had a low-res VHS tape, connected to another VCR by those old red/white cables recording to another VHS tape and the grain and picture on your new copy was awful.

But it was still quite cool back then!

I probably have my old Macrovision crackerbox buried somewhere. Copied tapes didn't scramble, but did come out a skosh darker than normal. It was a fair enough trade off considering.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

The keep away scene better be in it or no deal.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Don't give me hope, Stephen. Don't invoke Hammer like that.

That's setting a high bar you can't walk back from.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's between owning this or a replica Lament Configuration. Curiousity would get the better of me eventually.

If you go the Lament Configuration route, research before buying. I used to know a couple guys who'd make high end replicas (mahogany & brass) and they'd talk about the cheaply done ones that would end up warping and peeling depending on the environment they're in.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Martman posted:

That does sound important. Have any sites to show us?

It's been decades since we talked. But I knew them as ToyMaker and Pyramid Gallery on the old Hellbound Web forums. Their work as I remember was on the pricey side, but was the sort of thing you'd put behind glass on a mantlepiece.

Toymaker's site https://www.hellraiserbox.net/index.html#intro
Pyramid Gallery's site (I think) http://www.pyramid-gallery.com/index.html#1749

I'd be very buyer beware with what's on Etsy, and I heard the Neca one was prone to peeling. The big things were to be mindful of dryness and humidity since both could play hell with the materials, same with dust, kinda like how the Book of the Dead editions of Evil Dead 1 & 2 tended to disintegrate after a while. ToyMaker often recommended getting a bell dome display for one's boxes.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

High Warlord Zog posted:

Ramsey Campbell's Ancient Images maybe

That's one of my top favorite books. I've already had two copies fall apart from all the rereads I've done. Kinda surprised there's been no movie adaptation of it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Darthemed posted:

What are some horror movie posters/box art you think are great, for whatever reason of appeal?

I'll try not to hog the posts.

There's a few reasons I like this one. Corbin art to start, also this was one of the few poster/coverboxes that promised what the film delivered.

Considering the studio had no idea how to market this one so they flung ideas at the wall to see what stuck, I liked the rock version more than the horror or generic ones. It has that vibrancy that was so 70s that I kinda miss in poster art.

The art style takes me back to the 80s coverboxes and the old Leisure/Zebra publishing horror paperbacks.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

gently caress, I had the worst cinema experience watching Talk To Me the other night. A large group of people decided that the foot sucking sequence was the funniest thing ever, which, whatever, but then they took it as their cue to just make noise and loudly bag out the last half of the film. It started when one person decided to just start making "spooky" noises over things and wouldn't shut the gently caress up and a few others got involved.

Everyone was fairly unsettled before then anyway, talking to each other or checking their phones. One dude was browsing for fridges. And then when the film was over another dude deliberately dumped his leftover tub of popcorn into his chair.

I guess the film was fine? Kinda spooky in the first half and some decent laughs anyway.

flashy_mcflash posted:

After a pandemic period of empty or near-empty theatres I loving hate going to movies with people now.

I don't know if it was just the theater chain I work for or all major theaters, but for a disconcerting while after reopening, in the pre-show/trailers, we did have a kinda PSA thing reminding people how to behave in public again. The no loud talking and turn your phones off I expected, but this mentioned things like no smoking/vaping and staying dressed. I still have people in complete shock over popular films being fully sold out.

Regarding the bad behavior, I can't stress this enough but please let the theater staff know about it right away so they can do something about it. You paid perfectly good money for a ticket, you shouldn't have to go through the bullshit of others being assholes. If the staff doesn't seem to care, go to a manager and keep on until someone does something or call the corporate line about it. Even the most common thing I deal with of 'someone's in my seat', speak up about it and it will get sorted out. Too many times I've had people mention it after the movie or when they've decided they're going to leave and when I ask why didn't they let us know before, they say they didn't want to be a bother or they didn't want to cause trouble. We have staff that it will totally make their day to step in and resolve things. There's been times where we've sent staff to go sit in a showing to keep an eye on things because we take this seriously. If the troublemaker/s kick up a fuss, not your problem, we're paid and trained to deal with this.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Well, we'll see if they eventually manage to get a good balance of decent stories and decent wraparound. Usually they'll drop the ball on one of those.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Crescent Wrench posted:

:wal: Oh they're balanced all right.

:stat: You really think so?

:wal: ...because they're both bad!

Usually they drop the ball hard on the wraparound. The last film's wraparound sucked so hard it blew.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Hrmm weird memory but anyone remember a horror movie from the possibly the 1970s and before anything bad or gross happened the screen flashed red to warn you. I remember someone had their hand cut off?

Cannibal Girls had a bell sound go off as a warning. Not sure about any film using a red flash, but that does sound familiar.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They also show the kids watching Day of the Dead in the theater. There's no way a small local cinema would run an unrated film like that, much less let a bunch of thirteen year olds in.

Things like that come from writers who are too distant from the era they're writing. I can't remember if it was in Stranger Things or Fear Street where someone doesn't use a payphone correctly.

For example, my latest trainee when we were discussing home video/video rentals, she was confused over the concept of blank tapes and that we used them to record all sorts of stuff. The idea of your movie options back then being what's at the theater/what's at the rental place/what's getting shown edited on TV/whatever you managed to tape was also a bit of a shock.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Crescent Wrench posted:

How did they manage to gently caress up using a pay phone?

I think it was they put the money in before picking up the receiver. It was a minor thing that only those who've used payphones would notice. Kinda like the place a collect call from "Mom, pick us up at the mall".

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Lumbermouth posted:

After M_Sinistrari did all the Amityville movies, I don't make any quality assumptions about what this thread is willing to watch.

I freely admit that watching the clunkers does make the good films seem even better.

Jedit posted:

Interesting news: Scottish indie horror outfit Hex Studios is reviving Amicus with plans to release one movie a year under the banner. The first new Amicus movie since 1977 will be a portmanteau movie called In The Grip of Terror and is using story material from the original studio archives. Production begins next month.

I vaguely remember other times in the past where there was going to be a revival of Hammer/Tigon/Amicus, but something always happens and it ends up not panning out. I wish Hex well in possibly pulling this off.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

What are the most autumnal horror movies? Like if I want the cinematic equivalent of snorting some crushed up red and yellow leaves

Something Wicked This Way Comes.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Crescent Wrench posted:

This actually touches on a broader question that I always ponder when talking about film. What are people's standards for bailing on a movie? I often see people talking about taking multiple attempts to finish a movie, or saying "I couldn't get through it," etc. I've even seen the idea of seeing a movie through despite a rough start being used as an example of the sunk cost fallacy, which mildly angers me. That's not how art works!

It's varied for me over the years. When I was younger (teens and earlier), on average a film had about 10 minutes to get to the good stuff or show promise of the good stuff otherwise I was out. Yeah, I was on the impatient side back then. That's also where my multiple attempts to get through a movie comes from. Often it turns out I just needed to broaden my horror movie palate or get some more life experience under the belt to appreciate a film I once wrote off as boooooring...

Now, it's a mix of variables in combination. Is it compelling, is it pulling me in? Could be the cinematography, or the acting, could even be it's clear the film has Heart. Budget and name cast is irrelevant. Have the serious people who's movie opinions I take seriously said anything positive about it? Sometimes this still ends up in a clunker, but more often than not it doesn't. Are there dealbreaker moments? I've been open about how animal death and small children death are things I'll aim to avoid since I had kids and I love my pets fiercely. Best analogy I have is if as I'm watching the movie and I start finding myself thinking about cleaning the catbox, knocking out whatever dishes need to get done, or in one case wondering if I'd be collecting whatever's left of my social security by the time the film decides to get anywhere, then those are the ones I'll bail from since I just don't have the time to spend watching something like that when I can be watching something else that's working for me better.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Please don't let the mediocre and awful films of it dissuade you from reading an awesome and really well plotted novel though.

This had me thinking. We've all come across movies where the book it was based on was better, but what about the inverse where the book's so awful you're amazed they pulled out a decent/good film out of it?

I just finished reading The Fury and Good God..that book dragged like you wouldn't believe. The movie's pretty much the last quarter of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

While we're on the subject of horror books in the horror thread, I'm reading Salem's Lot right now and very much enjoying it. Think I might read Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula next. Other than more King, what are some horror book suggestions the thread has? Ideally more on the side of spooky and/or fun than disturbing psychological horror kinda stuff.

If Sherlock Holmes with horror's your thing, The Cthulhu Casebooks by James Lovegrove might be up your alley. I also recommend Ivy Tholen's Tastes Like Candy, Maul Rats and Permanent Damage. They lean on the spooky with well developed characters. Cameron Roubique's Year of Blood and Kill River series are both pretty good throwback to the 80s style horror. Paul Catalanotto's The Children Under the House started as an analog horror on his channel, but got a quite good book adaptation. Greg Kihn (yep, the musician) came out with Horror Show which really brings back the low budget horror film love in the wilder days of Hollywood. Duncan Ralston's Ghostland series was pretty good centered around a theme park of ghosts. If you're more into silly spooky, there's D.M. Guay's 24/7 Demon Mart series and Craig McLay's Demonic Indemnity series.

If Weird Wild West's your thing, most of the stuff from David J West or Edward M Erdelec's pretty good. Extreme Horror's very much a mixed bag between decent and 'oh God...I spent $3 on this and feel it was a waste'. Brian J Berry's probably your best bet for extreme since his stuff comes across more like the old VHS from the 80s rather than the tryhard stuff from the 90s.

Hollismason posted:

Give us back the vibrating chairs for the tingler

Dbox seats are the modern equivalent. It's very worth it for some films and a total waste for others. Lost Boys with the train tracks and Evil Dead Rise with Raimi cam were both very worth it.