Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Groundgrave-floor up in this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shrecknet posted:

who is a non-horror director who you'd like to see take on a horror project? Spielberg released two all-timers in a row with Duel and Jaws, then retreated to family fare and only toe-dipped with War of the World's later. Would love to see the King of Blocking take on a Werewolf movie

Ang Lee.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

God I wish there was a bloody knife text reaction.

I’d use that constantly.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

shoeberto posted:

I never saw it but wasn't 1 Hour Photo kinda sold like that?

And to a lesser extent, Insomnia, although that’s a straight up thriller for the most part.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Is there some deep lore reason for why the Nostromo has a wet-chain tunnel with potable (?!?) water just falling on some concrete from a great height?

It’s obviously just because it looks cool, and that’s a great reason and I support it. But Alien is a big enough franchise that someone must’ve tried writing like a GURPS supplement for it or something. That seems like the kind of a thing some beautiful nerd would try to defend.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

That sounds like the exact right amount of challenges. I like that October is the month with the most raw number of challenges, meta challenges are cool, 31 is the number of days in October so that makes sense logistically while being relevant? Sound dope as hell.

In terms of feedback, I think you should make sure that none of the first-watch-required categories are relatively small and finite. Like, there's enough vampire movies out there that you could almost go forever, but some of the other categories it's not infeasible that someone has literally watched them all and is just hosed from the outset.

Has there been like a murder-weapon scavenger hunt challenge? Like there's a list with "chainsaw" and "axe" and "blender" and you have to find movies where someone gets that shoved in their face?

(I'm spit-balling, sorry if this is garbled.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah that’d have to be a meta-category people are watching the whole month, and it should probably not need everything to count. (E.g. it’s 10 items but you only “need” 6 with the rest just bonus.)

And it could be a bad idea. I’m just letting my stupid hands type things.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jedit posted:

October 1st is a Sunday, so putting it up around September 29th/30th sounds reasonable for fitting it around your personal workload.

O that'd be really convenient actually. The nerds going for a completion (or who just like strategizing) get a day or two to mull things over, and Sunday's a really convenient day to start. Even a really casual participant has good odds of knocking out two challenges on the first day.

Have there been categories riffing off the horror formula before? e.g. movie with a final girl, movie with a subversion of the sex = death trope? I'm trying to think about other sorts of "kinds" of categories besides like "has this kind of monster" and "has themes X, Y, or Z".

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Why are we worried about new people getting scared off by the total number of challenges? It’s already a tiered system and they could just pick a smaller goal, couldn’t they?

Like last year loads of people were just bopping in to do 13 movies, and maybe they’d throw in a single spooky bingo. Yeah there were also a bunch of people who filled out the whole card or watched 60+, but how does having a bunch of people having fun with a game make it less attractive?

If we’re trying to be more inviting, maybe we should instead add a tier under 13. If you’re trying to make it easier to go up a ladder, you don’t cut off the top half, you add a rung to the bottom.

If we lower the number from 31, that means us psychopaths who were looking forward to that don’t get as many challenges. We’d be making our game less fun to make it more inviting to hypothetical newcomers who were scared off by the people playing the game a lot.

I’m not trying to be rude but that makes precisely zero sense to me.

(That being said, I’m obviously just some schmuck and I don’t want to give a speech about how much work other people should do for me. This is kibitzing in its purest form.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I mean sort of riffing off STAC goat but a meta-challenge like “write X many reviews through a feminist lens” is a great idea and can be expanded on. gently caress yeah I’d do RED SCARE (X many movies through a Marxist interpretive framework).

And then once we start having challenges in the review it’s a whole extra dial to turn. Write a review in verse or as a parody/filk song. Write the review as serialized reactions, like a collected live tweet. You can’t pick the next challenge you do, it’s fully randomized. The first letter of the next movie has to be the same as the last letter of the old movie (Nosferatu > Urban Legends). Both of those last two at the same time.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

A couple of years ago Fran included a challenge connected to some other challenge elsewhere about drawing. And I decided to go the extra mile and draw something for the challenge. And I thought that would make a very cool challenge idea. But I also think something like that is probably too much because it demands a level of work or artistic expression that everyone just won’t want to do or feel comfortable doing.

At some point making every kid in school take part in the school play is just cruel towards the kids who can’t sing or really don’t like performing.

Yeah the downside would be that completionists are gonna have a hard time with it. Which might actually be good if newcomers really are intimidated by too much completionism. Now there’s less expectation to do everything.

I would totally do reviews with a thematically related recipe.

gently caress I might just start doing that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

There’s a reason Stephen King is from Maine.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Holy loving poo poo.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I was in some incredibly spooky fog in some very haunting locations this weekend. Spooky fog rules.

Others than The Fog and City of the Dead and Plan 9, what are the best spooky fog movies

The Mist.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O I like that a lot.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The blood test in The Thing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

That is to this day the one movie I as an adult could not watch in one sitting. Ignoring little kid stuff.

I got about half-way and just desperately needed to stand in the sun and pet a cat for 10 minutes. It was already the scariest movie before the bat monsters even showed up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I vividly remember it being the UK ending the first time, but the odds it actually was are precisely zero with when and where I watched it.

I mostly bring this up to show how much more the UK cut’s ending is. C’mon. We all know she’s not getting out of that hole. We don’t have to pretend.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

That reveal is great and has been copied a bunch, but the thing you might be forgetting is there are like 4 awful jumpscares before that.

Juno is a pretty loving terrible friend though, eh?

This is what happens to you when you Love Each Day.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

There can’t be a Descent 2 because, as we’ve clearly established, she is never getting out of that cave.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cosmic horror is basically a haunted house, but the house is the known universe.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

David Gordon Green needs to go manage a Taco Bell or something.

At this point, why don’t we just pass around Halloween between directors and see what they do with it.

I wanna see Jane Campion’s Halloween.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hollismason posted:

The Exorcist sequel just looks boring.

That trailer thinks it's being so cute with teasing the theme, but it's like someone trying to hide an entire horse behind their back.

A dead horse.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

I just don't know what's left to mine from The Exorcist unless you go completely batshit crazy. Have the girls be faking the whole thing, or their parents are having them fake it. Turn it into a criticism of the church. I know that's just The Last Exorcism before the terrible ending, but it's at least something different.

But then how do you turn that into a trilogy?

Money.

They think there's money there.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

davidspackage posted:

In the trailer thread, kiimo, who works on the campaign for the movie, mentioned this:

The studio making a new Exorcist sequel wants the trailer to remind you as little about the 70s movie as possible because that makes sense in some cokebrain's coke brain.

Well then they (the execs, not kiimo and co, I'm sure they did their level best) hosed up both ways because it's right in the middle.

I'm both angry that they're not changing things and angry at what they're changing, for the remake of a movie I never actually liked that much.

It's kind of impressive.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Saw X now has a poster.

https://twitter.com/Saw/status/1684324311673483265

I'm worryingly excited for this sure-to-be very dumb movie.

The angles on the tubes aren’t right and it’s really bothering me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Personally, I'm a Halloween 6 guy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Crescent Wrench posted:

From time to time I hear about how seeing Halloween 3 was one of the first dates my parents went on and they were confused as hell about what was going on in that movie.

I'm choosing to believe this is the story of your conception.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Sorry, what is the feeling on the original, not the remake!

Has a couple of well-done bits in it, but pretty bland and very predictable. Like I don’t mind a tried-and-true simple story, but you get everything you’d expect from the first five minutes only it takes 87 minutes to do it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Deadite posted:

I need a quick opinion, horror thread. Does this look better with the blood or without? I always like to add blood to these but I feel like I go to that well too often.

In general definitely the top one with the blood. But I can see why you’d ask that because I’m not 100% happy with how that specific blood works.

Is this still planning and you can mess with it? A revamp on the bloody bit might make it perfect.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah. I think the missing teeth in the bloody one give it a kind of uncanny look. The bloody part ends up not looking like part of the blade and makes the whole image look a bit weird and not as instantly identifiable as the bloodless one. I suspect a version that looked like one single blade in size with all the teeth but bloody would be the winner. But of the two that exist I'd pick the bloodless one.

Yeah could you (not you, STAC Goat, I’m building off you) mostly keep the blade and tooth shape but the end is red and with some drippy bits?

Right now like I get it, but it looks a little like you just dipped it in a big blob of jam instead of it being a bloody chainsaw.

Great instincts on the blood though. This is just workshopping specifics of the blood.

I kind of want one, but neon does not work with any parts of my esthetic.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

If its possible, my suggestion is to make the blood drops flick on and off.

O you could go for a whole animated spray effect if you did it right.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

A loving thousand times 2. Possibly with just a skosh more dribble.

Edit to be clear 1 is good too. I just think 2 is close to perfect.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 29, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

This. If you could do drip on 2 it would be perfect but I recognize that might just be hard. But 2 is great. 1 is also great. I'd consider both bad rear end but probably pick 2.

Yeah there's also these metal things called swords and knives and scalpels. Its a solved problem.

Although you'd probably have to worry about blood getting into the motor or something.

Early medical chainsaws didn’t have motors yet. It was the 1790’s so it was hand-cranked like an egg-beater made of nightmares.

Long before anyone had miniaturized motors enough that you could do that they’d been replaced by the hilariously names Gigli saw, which is similar but distinct. It was basically a razor sharp wire with two handles that you wrap around the unfortunate person and sort of… do the twist at them until they don’t have a leg anymore.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 29, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I think it's important to note that you can have the chain blink off and on, and if you make two of them at different rotations it will blink as if it's moving.

And it could be on the same circuit as another chunk of red “splatter” too.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Deadite posted:

If I had any idea how to do that I would give it a shot. I've never made an animated sign but I would like to.

You'd just need a double throw switch on a timer. It lights one loop, then the switch flips and it lights the second, switch flips back, etc. I don't know your set-up, but it's gotta have power coming in somewhere and you just put the switch between that and the actual loops. Switches are total nothing part, you can even get them crazy cheap if you get them in bulk.

I think. I'm doing this from first principles.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The Ninth Gate.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Welp, guess I know what I'm tracking down tonight.

This is amazing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I settled on Cast a Deadly Spell

Julianne Moore is literally just Jessica Rabbit in that movie. And Clancy Brown was born to play a noir heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Cast a Deadly Spell is good but the use of the f slur and its derogatory approach to gay people is not. Like I understand its suppose to be 1940s but eh.

Yeah its general handling of LGBT issues is a big ol’ negative and the one thing that stops me from recommending it to everyone.