Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Also: The Terminator (1984) is not only a horror film, it’s one of the best horror films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This is the thread where I develop supernatural abilities to fight against the shitposters, but only in the dream-world.

But then it becomes a matter of what’s a dream, and what is real?! :shrug:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don’t if it’s been discussed ITT, but episode 4 of the new season of Black Mirror is some decent horror.

If you haven’t watched, don’t read anything about it, don’t look at the episode description, just go into it cold if at all possible.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ll also add, go into episode 5 the same way (unspoiled)

It’s some pretty good retro-style horror-comedy.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^
Woah cool, I didn't know there was a kind-of sequel. Checkin' that out sometime :hfive:

:yeah:
There's probably a better way to phrase this, but it's one of the more "realistic" depictions of what endless life would actually do to a person. Sure it would be all fun an games at first, but after watching your 10th wife grow old and die before your eyes at what point would you just stop making human connections or valuing others at all?

Yeah, to me this is the most interesting thing about vampirism, and the “meths” from Altered Carbon. There’d be no way to empathize with or relate to mortals, after a point.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

You'd probably be permanently jaded and old-fashioned, but not necessarily incapable of forming bonds.

Also possibly completely insane!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Dog_Meat posted:

Ever seen a (very slow) film called "Only Lovers Left Alive"?

I don't remember much about it, but it really captured the boredom/depression side of being an immortal vamp and I remember Tom Hiddleston's character buying expensive memorabilia and generally despairing at the dullness of being alive for so long. But at last they have other immortals to relate to

Yes! Interesting take on the vampire story.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hammer films are a great horror comfort films.

Though I only have the four best Christopher Lee Dracula films, and also his Mummy film.

Another good bunch of horror comfort films for me is this big box set I have of all the old 1930s and 40s Universal horror flicks.

I guess because it reminds me of when I was a kid, and I used to love to watch them.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Ah gently caress. Let me copy paste

Bear in mind that the producers and studio bigwigs who give these notes are the same ones who are right now planning to “break” the WGA.

They supposedly intend to keep the strike going through at least late October, with the idea that after five months with no income, writers will be on the way to losing their houses and apartments.

They don’t care if the actors guild strikes too, they are still supposedly going through with this plan.

(I realize this isn’t horror-related, but it effects the film industry as a whole, and therefore this genre)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

C2C - 2.0 posted:

When I was 5(!!!!!!!), my aunt had me watch The Exorcist with her while babysitting me :lmao:

That is hosed

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

People have already named all my favorite jump scares, but a more recent one I’d add is that scene in The Night House.

I hadn’t heard about it and I happened to be watching the film with the volume way up, because I’d been having trouble understanding some of the dialogue earlier.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It has probably been mentioned but the two Kolchak movies and the series are entirely investigative horror.

It’s early 70s and it’s schlocky at times, but it’s also great fun. I have all of it on DVD and it’s a traditional watch every spooky season.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Opopanax posted:

I remember my dad getting a second vcr and introducing me to piracy by renting stuff and recording it on the second one

All the time. I did a lot of this until they got wise and started using something called “Macrovision” or similar that would somehow scramble any copy you tried to make.

Even when there was no copy protection you had a low-res VHS tape, connected to another VCR by those old red/white cables recording to another VHS tape and the grain and picture on your new copy was awful.

But it was still quite cool back then!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just watched The Descent (for about the fifth time) followed by Evil Dead Rise (first time)

Oh, what a night it has been!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

it's weird to plug him because i don't normally love his stuff, but Flanagan's MIDNIGHT MASS does a great job of this. easily my favorite ending of his miniseries as well

Yes! All the more so because the story takes place on an island.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Isn’t there a scene in Meg2 where Statham attacks the 150 foot long shark with a katana or something like that?

I thought I caught a glimpse of a scene like that in a trailer a while back (I wasn’t paying close attention)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think the only movie I ever walked out of was a really awful horror flick called Force of Evil in about 1988.

Much more recently, I wanted to leave about 30 minutes into Avatar 2, but we stayed.

For what seemed like another four hours.

e: My mind is blown because there is no “Force of Evil” on imdb that came out in the 1980s. But I could have sworn that was the name of the flick.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 19, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Medullah posted:

I have very rarely had movies actually scare me, but very rarely a proper dark Ghost movie will get to me. The Ring was the first movie I think I was ever actually unnerved by and was a bit jumpy at the house for a few hours.

The Grudge did similar, but that was perfect time - I had literally just moved into a new house from the 1940s the weekend earlier. Every goddam sound was my death coming.

I saw both of these in my early 30s and they had the same effect on me.

Especially when I was lying in bed trying to go to sleep. Right as I was about to drift off, I’d become completely convinced that I couldn’t close my eyes because ghostly white-faced people would appear if I did.

A couple of times I imagined I heard that ghastly throat-croaking sound from The Grudge. I suppose I had nodded off and started to dream, and heard it there. But it awakened me with a jolt.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Kairo/Pulse was the one that properly shat me up after thinking I was too good to get scared. That one scene of the ghost walking slowly toward the camera, then it stumbles in the most horribly uncanny valley way still gives me a little chill.

Here's that scene if you want to call me a baby for getting spooked by it. I forgot how much the sound design goes into it too, with the strange wailing at the start, then the ghost moving in total silence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYs87-kDXwg

I’ve never seen this, but that is some superbly done ghost poo poo

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

For anyone in LA with Spectrum, “Gargoyles” is showing on KCOPDT3 right now.

It’s a lovely early 70s horror flick but it terrified us kids back then, and I have fond memories of the film.

First thing I ever saw Scott Glenn in, and Bernie Casey plays King Gargoyle.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, I love the 2008 Rambo film. I remember seeing it at the theater and just being stunned at the violence. 2 and 3 are almost cartoonish compared to that one.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Holy gently caress , new Godzilla Minus One Trailer, Releases December 1st.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7DqccP1Q_4

Holy loving poo poo

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

And if you have Paramount+ you can watch Evil, the best modern horror TV show.

I have P+ and I’d not heard of this. I just read a little about it and I think it sounds worth a watch!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Bought a new smartTV that has a Tubi app, and man there is some good poo poo on here.

Watching 30 Days of Night right now, next up is Kill List.

Then probably Re-Animator, which I haven’t seen since the late 80s.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I love vampire stuff. I recently rewatched the short-lived Blade TV series and wanted to post about it. But I dimly remembered posting about it in a previous thread, so I looked it up.

I'm just gonna quote that old post here, in case someone might be interested in checking it out. I think it's streaming on AppleTV.

MrMojok posted:

I just got through watching the Blade tv series which aired waay back in 2006 on tv. Found the series on amazon for $12, DVD only, there never was a blu release. And this was pretty... good?!?

I honestly didn’t expect it to be, it I was pleasantly surprised. I know it’s part horror, part superhero, but if you liked the first Blade film, or the Marvel Blade Max series of comic, you would probably dig this.

The main complaints I’ve seen are that the guy they got to play Blade isn’t as good as Snipes. From a martial arts perspective, I agree... I think Snipes really has some martial arts experience and TV Blade (rapper Sticky Fingaz) looks like it was all new to him, although I think he got better as the series went on.

Acting-wise though... it’s Blade. He frowns, he snarls, he wears sunglasses all the time, and always speaks in the same tone of voice. So lack of Snipes didn’t really bother me there very much in that respect.

Series Blade doesn’t just totally wreck the vamps like Movie Blade did... he swings and misses and gets counterpunched a lot, he gets thrown into walls, etc. He actually gets pretty hosed up at times.

For whatever reason I’ve always enjoyed the whole vibe of the secret society-type thing, in this case where the world is full of vampires and they’ve completely infiltrated all major cities. This was a major factor from the beginning in the Vampire: the Masquerade RPG, in the later Blade comics, and of course in the films.

The series is all about that, and it begins when a woman named Krista investigates her brother’s murder. He was actually a familiar for a vampire clan, a wannabe, and they’ve offed him, and they have another familiar who’s a homicide detective with the Detroit PD who is saying the kid was a drug dealer and gang member who got capped by some other scumbags, tsk tsk.

She doesn’t buy it, and in the process of investigating meets Blade, and finds out the truth about vampires. She learns the identity of the head of the local vampire clan, flirts with him at a party, and later tries to kill him.

Unfortunately the vampires are clever, they capture her, and the head vampire decides to turn her. He takes a real shine to her, she still hates his guts, and throughout the rest of the series is working with Blade, undercover in the vampire clan.

You can’t really do Blade in a PG-13 or network TV-friendly manner, the world he lives in is brutal. This originally aired on Spike, and I don’t know if what’s on the DVD has some scenes that didn’t air on TV or if it was uncut on TV. But while not having budgets anywhere near the three films, they didn’t pull any punches in this series. There is a lot of violence... both hand to hand and shootouts. Quite a bit of gore, dismemberment, decapitation, burns, etc. It’s very much a dark, gritty world with monsters around every corner.

The series was created/produced by David Goyer, who also wrote a couple of episodes. He was also the writer and producer on the films, and I’m sure he’s what gives the show a lot of that same tone that we saw in the movies. Unfortunately the show was not renewed for a second season, and it ends on something of a cliffhanger.

tl;dr- I liked it a lot. Lots of action and gore. Gets better as it goes on, and eps. 8-12 are the strongest by far.

e: I just watched Blade 2 for the first time in an age, and afterwards had to look it up. Snipes has been practicing martial arts since he was 12, and it really showed.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

e: nm

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

I watched Fire in the Sky for the first time last night. A lot of the movie wasn't great, but that alien torture scene? :stonk: Jesus loving Christ, that was bone-chilling. Glad I didn't see this when I was a kid because it definitely would've given me nightmares.

The first time I saw that I was extremely high, watching it alone.

When it got to that part, it became like a bad acid trip. Just incredibly disturbing, and I could not stop thinking about it for days.

Very few films have had that kind of effect on me.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Lone Wolf and Cub films are a mandatory annual rewatch for me.

It’s the greatest blend of samurai gore and endless too-red 1970s movie blood.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I encourage people to use our new sub forum, which I am just now being made aware of despite union contracts. I posted a thread fight for the four franchises.

From the main forum list, which forum is it nested under?

I can see the post in announcements about it, but I can’t see it in the main forum list.

Is it because the new subforum is itself a ghost?!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Last thread/last year some kind person ITT did a great poll on the thread’s favorites horror films of all time.

I’m on mobile and can’t search to link it, but I saved it as a note on my phone. And here it is. Thought it was pertinent now.

SA horror favorites
——————————
1. The Thing
2. Alien
3. Evil Dead II
4. Return of the Living Dead
= The Shining
6. Texas Chain Saw Massacre
= Night of the Living Dead
8. Halloween
9. Day of the Dead
= The Fly
= Dawn of the Dead
= Bram Stoker's Dracula

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Also feel free to report to us anyone you suspect of being a witch, warlock, or necromancer and a formal inquiry will be made.

Do not, it is a trap!

Send a report, and he will witch thee!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Flying Zamboni posted:

I watched the first episode of 30 Coins today and really liked it. I appreciate a show that gives me a cool monster and a battle priest right from episode one.

LOL, buckle the gently caress up. It only escalates from there.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I dearly love Exorcist III for many reasons, but the scene near the end where Nicol Williamson shows up at the insane asylum to exorcise Jason Miller just feels so out of place.

And famously, that’s because it WAS.

The studio bigwigs were supposedly seeing the dailies and liked what they saw, but eventually said “Hold on a minute! This *is* an Exorcist film, right? Where is the Exorcism?!!”

So they made them shoot that scene and tack it on the end. That’s the story I remember, anyway.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hollismason posted:

You have been accused! How do you plead?

SMITH’S GROVE, ILLINOIS

October 2027

Lunatic moderator HOLLISMASON, having been imprisoned for years for elimination of POSTING ENEMIES, is due for a parole hearing

[Int. station wagon]

M_SINISTRARI
The driveway’s just a few hundred yards up, on your right.

NURSE
Are there any special instructions?

M_SINISTRARI
Just try to understand what we're dealing with here. Don't underestimate it.

NURSE
Is it true, that he tried to mute thread posters, and perhaps even killed some of them?

M_SINISTRARI
Yes.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 5, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I liked H2018 a lot. Kills was dumb but fun. Still haven’t been able to make it through Ends, though.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

To put it in horror terms, a British woman who wants to throw half a gallon of boiling water on the maniac with the knife who's invading her home will only have to wait about three minutes, while an American woman who wants to do the same will probably have to wait at least six minutes.

LMAO

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is so true. It's a top 3 horror (top 3 movies in general if I'm being honest) for me but as soon as you start trying to explain what it is you sound like a lunatic.

I think this description has convinced me to give it a try.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Due to numerous recommendations in this thread, I’ve just watched May.

And I’ve got to say, that was really something else. At the moment I’m kind of at a loss for words to describe it. Except to say I *loved* it!

It’s on AMC+. If you have that, run, do not walk, and fire it up. Or find it somewhere else, but if you’ve never seen it, you must.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 6, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

30 Coins says right off the bat “yeah we are going apeshit crazy here, come along for the ride” and then never backs down or lets up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I also just watched 1985 and my review follows:

Awwww, no one ever left alive

In nineteen hundred eighty-five, will everrr dooo

She may be good, she may be fine

She may get love but she won’t get mine ‘cuz IIII got youuuu