Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

Jason Lives is the best.
Black Christmas is the best slasher, and better than Halloween by a lot.
Midsommar>Hereditary
Found footage sucks

:agreed: completely forever :hellyeah:

Things I'm most looking forward to this month: seeing Barbie opening night, and the unveiling of the Saw X trailer by sometime this month. Going to also try to see Insidious (and yes, Oppenheimer too. Got tickets for opening night. Getting a refund if they pull the Tenet sound atrocity with it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Deadite posted:

I'm going to try to keep up with this thread this time.

Dark Night of the Scarecrow was on The Last Drive-In last night and it was a surprisingly good made-for-TV horror movie

Dark Night of the Scarecrow rules

Absolutely do not watch the sequel from last year, made by the writer, that completely doesn't get why that one ruled

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Medullah posted:

Any recommendations for recent (last 3 months or so) horror movies added to Shudder, Netflix or Paramount+?

Shudder:
Influencer
Brooklyn 45
Spoonful of Sugar
Unwelcome
Huesera: The Bone Woman

I also liked Re/Member on Netflix. idk about/don't have Paramount+

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I bounced off that one too. Took me two days to finish it because the vibe was just so slow and the stakes felt so low that I just couldn't be bothered.

This makes me feel glad. I saw 15 things for Sundance this year and this was one of 3 I didn't like, and it wasn't even burnout that had me not feeling it, it was the second film I'd watched at that point

Sarah Snook's a great actress for sure but man, I end up hating horror films with her in them. Winchester, Jessabelle, and now this. Predestination is the only other one she's been in I haven't seen and I'm kinda afraid to now

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's me, the dummy still excited for these schlocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF-oyCwaArU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Insidious: The Red Door is as dumb as you'd expect, be that a pro or con.

:hellyeah:

Now the real question: do I see it tonight, or push it off for 2 weeks when I was already doing Barbie and Oppenheimer, and make a quintuple feature/all-day thing of those and Mission Impossible :thunk:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Zwabu posted:

Is the 2023 Children of the Corn any good?

It's dumb as hell

But having watched all 11 films (plus the short) in the series the week it dropped on VOD, that's still good enough for top 5-6. The films from 1996-2011 get dire

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Also I saw Summoning the Spirit two weeks ago for Chattanooga. It was the only one of the 17 that underwhelmed me; cool concept it doesn't do much with, outside of some impressive visuals. Maybe I'll appreciate it more on a rewatch/outside of that setting, but as is, from Chattanooga I'd definitely suggest keeping an eye out for:

Soft Liquid Center, about a woman moving out after a breakup and all her anxieties and stresses about it manifest in weird ways in her new home. I really wanna rewatch this as a double feature with Enys Men, they give off similar vibes to me. The most experimental thing I saw, and the thing I most dug, from the fest
We Might Hurt Each Other (aka Pensive), a Lithuanian slasher
Trim Season, where a handful of queer women get involved in work trimming weed on a farm run by a witch. Body horror and folk horror
Hell Hath No Fury, about a sitcom couple both sick of being a sitcom couple with their partner specifically and trying to get each other killed by new lovers on a December night
Wintertide, which is a zombie-mystery in a 30 Days of Night setting

Less on the horror side but still definitely worth an eye on:

American Meltdown, a Bonnie-and-ClydeBonnie drama-comedy about two women adjusting in real time to the discovery that the American Dream is a myth
Sour Party, a comedy about two also-struggling women having a terrible day
The Last Movie Ever Made, a sweet and emotional comedy about the world finding out in unison that life is a simulation that will end in 15 days, and a man deciding he's going to use that time to gather his friends together and make (and watch) the scifi film he always wanted them to make together in high school

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Amityville the Awakening is one of the worst things I've ever genuinely looked forward to seeing

Don't say "really?!"! The director did P2 and the Maniac remake! There was reason for hope!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I vastly prefer the first Sinister over Sinister 2

So the new Insidious already made bank and was #1, so we're probably getting at least one more sequel, in addition to the already-in-development spinoff Thread (starring Mandy Moore and Kumail Nanjiani) and the long-planned Sinister crossover

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tomorrow's a great day for VOD releases

Influencer
Spoonful of Sugar
and We Might Hurt Each Other, which I brought up in my recent Chattanooga recap post but had no idea would be available so soon

Chris James 2 posted:

from Chattanooga I'd definitely suggest keeping an eye out for:
We Might Hurt Each Other (aka Pensive), a Lithuanian slasher

Also not horror but definitely also recommend checking out Asteroid City tomorrow :hellyeah:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Anymore information on the Lithuanian slasher?

I didn’t want to give too much away but basically a group of teens party in a remote location and mess around with statues nearby that ticks someone off and he kills them all. There’s a well done slaughter sequence in particular I think will surprise some

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It’s also Lithuania’s first slasher ever, which I didn’t even know when I watched it

https://twitter.com/ScreamboxTV/status/1678410737948012545?s=20

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It’s been a while since I saw He Never Died, I know I liked it but also I never saw She Never Died and I feel that’s a good excuse to rewatch it for a double feature someday soon

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Horror thread, I need your help!

I'm trying to track down copies (either physical or, preferably, digital) of Koji Shiraishi's two Ada films (Part One and Part Two). Anyone have a line on these?

Included in this link

Snooze Cruise posted:

here, i can't message you for some reason

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JoePassmore/status/1618587006900252673

She's the best

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It was a miniseries from the start anyway. Already filmed and releasing this fall

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Read this thread this morning and was laughing my rear end off, there's nothing you could say about studio execs that's too unbelievable.

Especially today, when it came out their last real attempt at preventing actors from going on strike was to offer to scan background actors' likeness, keep that scan legally forever, and pay the actor for one day of work for it https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/13/23794224/sag-aftra-actors-strike-ai-image-rights

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If they felt good enough to give Jaws a PG, you should feel good enough to show it to kids :colbert:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Martman posted:

I think there was some throwaway line about Madison being a girl scout. I think it was while the villain was befriending her, and she probably ignored it because people assume girl scouts are BS.

Yeah, this is the only thing I really remember. Which also works because her whole thing was partially based on thinking these stuck-up rich influencers were lying (to others and to themselves) about who they really are, so her undoing was around one of the few things Madi was actually honest about

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Professor Funk posted:

I’m sitting here trying to decide whether to watch Scream 6 or Infinity Pool and I just can’t make a decision because of how different the two are.

I’m leaning towards Infinity Pool, though.

I love both so I'd say it depends on the mood. Both are fun, if you want weird in addition to that go for Infinity Pool

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Anybody else going to see Terrifier in its limited theatrical re-release this week? Just me? :fiesta:

Not playing anywhere near me

I'm seeing at least Barbie and Oppenheimer tomorrow (depending on the time I arrive I might also go for Mission Impossible, Insidious and/or No Hard Feelings. I preordered the Barbie and Oppenheimer tickets a month ago, so excited for both and I got a double-feature shirt today :getin:), and I'm thinking about seeing Cobweb either later in the weekend, or sometime next weekend as a double feature with Talk To Me

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

Which Oppenheimer? The 70mm, the IMAX/XD or the standard?

Standard. The IMAX closest to me is further away (this theater's 15 minutes, the IMAX is 30-40 depending on traffic) and playing MI tomorrow/Oppenheimer Friday, and nobody's playing it in 70mm closer than 2.5 hours from me :rip:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/neverthetories/status/1681757745316261890

I ain't saying don't see it, especially because at some point when it comes to VOD I probably will try too :rubby:

I will absolutely judge you negatively though if you think that's even the second or third best option to look forward to of the month that will also have:

Killers of the Flower Moon
Saw X
The Exorcist: Believer
Five Nights at Freddy's
Pet Sematary: Bloodlines

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Killers of the Flower Moon
Saw X
The Exorcist: Believer
Five Nights at Freddy's
Pet Sematary: Bloodlines

And yes I'm excited for all of these btw :getin: :woop: I'll never see the haters' posts. Saw X been my most-looked-forward-to non-Barbie film all year, Exorcist and KotFM close behind

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Holy gently caress Evil Dead Rise is so good.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

And this new one is gonna be #8 :getin: :woop:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I wanted to do a theater double feature of Cobweb and Talk To Me this weekend since Barbenheimer went perfectly for me last week (two perfect films and in Barbie my film of the year), but the weather's deciding to be completely lovely for me (high 90s Wednesday through Saturday) so hopefully both are still playing next week

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 25, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Saw X now has a poster.

https://twitter.com/Saw/status/1684324311673483265

I'm worryingly excited for this sure-to-be very dumb movie.

Never once doubted this would be amazing. I’m undefeated :woop: Barbenheimer was perfect, Barbie’s my fav film of the year, I called those shots perfectly 370 days ago and I’ve been calling for months that Saw X or Exorcist Believer will be my horror film of the year :getin:

Love that they’re back to the original poster style theme too

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

Finally got around to watching Spiral: From the Book of Saw because I figured I'll be watching Saw X in the fall so might as well get caught up.

I liked it, I'd place it in the upper half of the Saw films. Chris Rock did a far better job than I expected in a horror film and the story/script came up with a very basic mystery reveal rather than just add to the complicated lore that is the Saw series. I mean, it isn't the most clever reveal of all time but it's a gently caress-ton better than the convoluted messes the series is known for.

Yeah, I was very/pleasantly surprised with how Chris did in that setting

Saw X trailer's expected to be released online sometime tonight, already getting rave reviews from people who saw it at the festival :getin:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

OOOOOOOH YEAH WE'RE BACK BABY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3PzUo4P21c

:getin: GET THE gently caress IN

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Power Walrus posted:

Any good films about doppelgängers? I loved It Follows, They Look Like People & of course Bodysnatchers. Anything that plays with the fear of something familiar being sinister or uncanny. Also the fear of everything around you changing into something predatory. I haven’t seen Possession yet, I heard it plays with some of those themes.

Basically looking for something like Mandela Catalogue but less creepypasta-style.

Cam
Dual
Enemy

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

dorium posted:

https://twitter.com/BradFHenderson/status/1686380288153448449?s=20

for those interested Malum is getting a limited UHD release through Terror-Vision next month.

I'm getting this and When The Screaming Starts (both of which I saw and really liked). Considering blind-buying End of the Line, sounds intriguing

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Not only does DARK WEB kick rear end, if you can, track down a copy on DVD because they did the CLUE thing where there are three different endings that played on different theaters, and they're all bangers.

:wow: Didn't know this. But agreed that Dark Web is legit good

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Christopher Landon (director of the Happy Death Day series and Freaky) has been confirmed as the director of Scream VII. I'm kinda into the pick, honestly. The guy clearly loves classic slashers.

I loved the last two Screams and and I loved the Happy Death Days and Freaky. I'm excited for the most part

The catch, keeping that from being "completely excited", is supposedly the reason Radio Silence aren't back directing this too is because they're busy doing a Universal monster film starring Melissa Barrera

If they're going to be too busy for this with that,
a) it makes me think so will Melissa, so that's one star from the last two films that's questionable
b) Jenna Ortega is even busier than all of them, so that's another
c) the rest of that main cast from those last two films, to put it mildly, doesn't interest me as much as Melissa and Jenna
d) obviously there's still the Neve Campbell situation

I know how hesitant people felt about each of 4, 5, and 6; I wasn't for any of them. I'm not for this. But I hope Landon knows what he's doing with this particular one as much as his recent track record has made me sure the result will be something I dig, because there's a lot of help this cast is gonna need if even two of those are out of the question

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Maggie Gyllenhaal directing a Bride of Frankenstein remake on Netflix starring Christian Bale and Peter Sarsgaard https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/8/2/zb8o7wwlosvu6k8ei16eb0e49ity88

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

davidspackage posted:

This is the first time I've seen the term 'requel' and googling it is not making it super clear what it gets used for. Like, a sequel set in the same universe, but with a new cast, but some of the old characters can still appear?

Reboot sequel. Think the recent Scream films, the recent Halloweens, the upcoming Exorcists. Even outside of horror, like the Creed films, Mad Max Fury Road I guess would count. Acknowledging the past while moving forward with the future, instead of just outright trying to remake something and get rid of all of the canon

Whether or not you like it (for the record I love all the films I've mentioned except for the Creed series which I haven't seen yet), for Nightmare particularly I think it's most understandable to go this approach. The remake already proved that for better or worse you can't just act like Englund's Freddy never happened, and you certainly can't try to outdo him by being more dark. He's that character

The new Hellraiser benefited from many things for me, the biggest has to be going a different route with a Pinhead than just trying to make another guy act like a more mean Doug Bradley. If they try something like that here, or if they go the route of Scream 6 or Halloween Ends, this is gonna be another thing I absolutely love :hellyeah: :woop:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I’ll watch but also I’m mostly impressed it’s taken this long for a sloth to become a slasher villain. We even got zombie beavers almost a decade before them

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:sickos:

https://twitter.com/FreddyInSpace/status/1687115423375073281?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

They should make a horror movie that's marketed like it's about sleep paralysis and maybe like a kid keeps seeing a sleep paralysis demon. And for like 75% of the movie that's all it is, until some kind of crazy BS happens and it's revealed that it's been Freddy the whole time.

Whatever I may feel about the film itself, it ruled a lot that Adam Wingard made a Blair Witch film (requel) but didn't let anybody not actively involved with its making know about it and didn't even let the SDCC viewers for it know about it until the title popped up onscreen

quote:

Prior to the film's premiere at the 2016 San Diego Comic-Con International, the fact that the film was a Blair Witch sequel remained a closely guarded secret,[10] as the film was shot under the title The Woods.[10] According to the film's writer, Barrett, the film's secrecy was done to prevent backlash among Internet commenters, who the filmmakers felt would react negatively to news of a reboot.[11]

Prior to the official premiere, Lionsgate went as far as to release a trailer for the film incorporating actual footage, while still keeping the film's lineage a secret.[10] The film was still publicly known as The Woods even at Comic-Con, prior to its first screening, with io9 reporting that the initial theater for the screening was filled with posters for the fake film. After the screening (during which audiences realized that the film was a sequel), all the promotional material in the theater was changed to reflect the film's actual title.[11]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMEgSLetjHw