Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If I'm remembering correctly It the series there was a lot of back and forth between adults and kids. It just worked better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/BradFHenderson/status/1686380288153448449?s=20

for those interested Malum is getting a limited UHD release through Terror-Vision next month.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. The mini series does the deal where the kids are mostly Part 1 and adults Part 2 but it introduces the adults in Part 1 and plays the kids stuff as flashbacks. That works a lot better to draw the connection between the two and then the second part starts with them all returning but already being established and easily identifiable/associated with their kid versions.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

dorium posted:

https://twitter.com/BradFHenderson/status/1686380288153448449?s=20

for those interested Malum is getting a limited UHD release through Terror-Vision next month.

I'm getting this and When The Screaming Starts (both of which I saw and really liked). Considering blind-buying End of the Line, sounds intriguing

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Crescent Wrench posted:

I watched Unfriended last night and it was a blast to watch, just total schlock, not to mention a fun time capsule into the internet of a decade ago. Is the "Dark Web" sequel any good?

Not only does DARK WEB kick rear end, if you can, track down a copy on DVD because they did the CLUE thing where there are three different endings that played on different theaters, and they're all bangers.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Watching Unfriended on my PC monitor when it came out really enhanced the experience for me.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Not only does DARK WEB kick rear end, if you can, track down a copy on DVD because they did the CLUE thing where there are three different endings that played on different theaters, and they're all bangers.

:wow: Didn't know this. But agreed that Dark Web is legit good

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

Oh man, I love Clue, including the ending gimmick. I'm sure I can track down the endings if I'm so inclined though...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crescent Wrench posted:

Oh man, I love Clue, including the ending gimmick. I'm sure I can track down the endings if I'm so inclined though...

When we were exiting the theater for Clue (I'm old) there were 3 lines for 3 different endings. While walking by the line near our exit a friend shouted loudly "I can't believe the killer was Professor Plum (or whatever, it wasn't the actual killer from the ending) and a bunch of people looked super pissed and moved to another line. Hilarious as a kid, I'd be pissed as an adult.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Continuing my watch of investigative horror films with the Exorcist 3.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

I would love to know how that scene ended up in the final cut

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

“Look how funny this is!”

-Andy

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay so far I've got uh Cast a Deadly Spell, The Mothman Prophecies, Exorcist 3. All rewatches but I'm still looking for investigative horror movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Okay so far I've got uh Cast a Deadly Spell, The Mothman Prophecies, Exorcist 3. All rewatches but I'm still looking for investigative horror movies.

someone probably already said Lord of Illusions but Lord of Illusions

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The ring counts

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

oh and The Legend of Hell House and The Stone Tape

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm actually going with The First Power which a later movie Fallen kind of ripped off. Its got Lou Diamond Phillips and I like him. Kind of felt like going with another detective demonic film.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

someone probably already said Lord of Illusions but Lord of Illusions

Someone also said Noroi but Noroi (and probably most of Shiraishi's fuckin oeuvre)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I just watched Noroi not like 2 weeks ago when I really got into Shiraishi's films. Although I stopped at some point and didn't have the energy to get through his TV series.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Angel Heart

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

WeaponX posted:

Angel Heart

Honestly it loses its appeal after a first watch. Its not particularly a interesting movie and is wholely sustained by its twist. Its not even a movie I'd really recommend. Just not really a fan.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

is The Wicker Man investigation horror?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Just wanted to pop into this thread and say, what the gently caress are horror fans on, Talk To Me was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

I mean yeah it features a policeman investigating something.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Bleck posted:

Just wanted to pop into this thread and say, what the gently caress are horror fans on, Talk To Me was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Your first mistake was thinking that a movie being bad is any metric as to whether we will all watch it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

alf_pogs posted:

Yes and it also counts as a musical

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bleck posted:

Gonna need this opinion qualified with a Hellraiser or F13 power ranking, pard

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CHUD is investigation horror

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

as always, whatever the question currently in the thread, the answer is LAKE MUNGO

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh drat we could have been voting on movies by year this whole loving time:

1943 uh well uh poo poo

I guess I have to choose Phantom of the Opera

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 2, 2023

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023

Hollismason posted:

Cigarette Burns, Candyman...Prince of Darkness is scientific investigation...

oh yeah The Serpent and the Rainbow

bbobseq fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 2, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Prince of Darkness may be one of my favorite scientist investigate the supernatural movies which I kind of feel are their own genre.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SneakySneaks posted:

Edit: Also is Europa Report any good? Was looking at that too.

Europa Report owns. It’s not exactly a horror movie though, aside from in the sense of the uncaring hostility of space, and about scientists grappling with knowledge greater than themselves.

It’s also got a beautiful theme song.

https://youtu.be/zdDmYAKRPLw

Also I am absolutely ready for Saw X. I’ve been all-in on the franchise since the first one, and I even turned my mother (of all people) into a fan of the series. We’re going to go see it opening weekend.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

Oh drat we could have been voting on movies by year this whole loving time:

1943 uh well uh poo poo

I guess I have to choose Phantom of the Opera

No. It’s not 1943.

It’s 43. Anno god drat domini three and two score.

We gotta learn about Roman shadow puppets or something.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The First Power is loving hilarious.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Prince of Darkness may be one of my favorite scientist investigate the supernatural movies which I kind of feel are their own genre.

hell yes. Ring 2 also has some terrific "scientists trying to capture the uncapturable"

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023

Hollismason posted:

The First Power is loving hilarious.

goes well paired with The Horror Show and Shocker

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

hell yes. Ring 2 also has some terrific "scientists trying to capture the uncapturable"

Yeah its totally dope.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Bone tomahawk was good. Idk if it works now but I really loved the slow burn, good actors and the amazing gore scene in the last act.

It’s a fun little exploitation western horror noir? thing.

But eff the rest of his out put.

I know the director is problematic at best, but I like Dragged Across Concrete too It's more thriller/crime noir than horror (though there is at least one scene that would definitely qualify). Dirty cops find out about a bank heist going down and plan to rob the robbers. Things go... poorly.

The last act of Brawl in Cell Block 99 is also pretty much horror. Man I've seen more Zahler than I thought :ohdear:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

honestly i think splitting up the two parts like they did could've worked fine, it's just that part two completely sucked rear end as a film

Basebf555 posted:

You do need some sort of time or generational element for It to work though, that's a huge part of what makes it compelling and scary. This thing has literally been there since before Derry existed, and seeing kids have to come back as adults to fight It a second time is too important to the story to toss out.

At a minimum they needed to mix the 2 time periods together, which IIRC is a lot closer to how the book is laid out.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Like Chapter 1 definitely had some issues (chiefly Bev being turned into a kidnapping victim at the end to unite the boys to help her) but it's still a very fun horror movie worth watching. I dunno when I'll revisit Chapter 2, if ever.

Knowing what they're cutting around in how the group bonds in the book, I feel this is an area where allowances can be made.

Medullah posted:

Hell go all in and wait 32 years and film the sequel

Hey it worked for Twin Peaks 3 :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Night Flier punches above it's weight as far as investigation horror flicks go.