Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
TIL he's directing a Silent Hill sequel that's currently(~?) in production.

Edit: it's starring a bunch of Brits, so I'm guessing that means it's still in production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
gently caress, I had the worst cinema experience watching Talk To Me the other night. A large group of people decided that the foot sucking sequence was the funniest thing ever, which, whatever, but then they took it as their cue to just make noise and loudly bag out the last half of the film. It started when one person decided to just start making "spooky" noises over things and wouldn't shut the gently caress up and a few others got involved.

Everyone was fairly unsettled before then anyway, talking to each other or checking their phones. One dude was browsing for fridges. And then when the film was over another dude deliberately dumped his leftover tub of popcorn into his chair.

I guess the film was fine? Kinda spooky in the first half and some decent laughs anyway.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

M_Sinistrari posted:

Same with Mousehunt.

This film (and Shrek) were the bane of my childhood. I remember finding them both viscerally unpleasant and must have sat through both of them at least ten times a piece (not by choice).

I should probably revisit Mousehunt though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Slotherhouse was so close to being what it wanted to be. I had fun, and there's a very loving funny death about three quarters of the way in, but it's not quite there.

I also spotted two HUGE missed opportunities: a) at one point it threatens to turn into Satans vs Sloths, but this never actually eventuates, and b) the film's title is stylized so it looks like it's "Slotherhouse III", and it made me realise how much better that gag would be.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 26, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nikumatic posted:

drat chucky (the puppet/effect) looks so good this season

show also good this season but it is always good

I thought some of Season Two kinda sucked, I won't lie. On the other hand, the Bound episode and the finale owned hard and were the show's best episodes IMO.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

anatomi posted:

You can tell that the Usher family is no good because they have non-heteronormative relationships and/or are into kinky sex.

Yeah using queerness/kink (same thing in my politics) as a way of suggesting the depravity of wealth really bothered me. Flanagan's had queer characters before in his shows, of course, but they're usually so chaste... the dying AIDS victim, the single lesbian stuck on cishet island. This felt very different, in a bad way.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I mean more in the sense that queer, as an umbrella political term, embraces not just non cis normative gender expression and non heteronormative sexual expression but also kink. IMO of course.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
A Cure For Wellness is loving gorgeous, holy poo poo. Waaaay too loving long, but I liked how unabashedly wild this thing is. Gorgeous compositions, bizarre music video moments, possibly the best use of Dane Dehann in anything I've seen him in. Great cast in general, even small roles like Celia Emrie. Really loved this, despite the flaw of being so goddamn loving loooong.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Not strictly speaking horror (or is it ~*spooky) but I want to thank the denizens of the Horror Thread for convincing me to give MouseHunt another go, after it (inexplicably?) scared me shitless as a child. It's great fun, looks great, sounds great, is filled with character actors I love and has some killer lines. "I can't live like this! There's no air in the middle class!" I genuinely can't imagine a modern kid's film having anything like this. Or a contemporary one tbh.

Anyway this is great.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'm on the last of the Child's Play series, and it's had both its brilliant and stupid moments, but I gotta say I absolutely popped for the two separate continuities converging together when Alex shows back up. Now I see why everyone is hyped about the TV series, I understand the stupid brilliance of this whole venture.

The series is loving lit. There's a "I think we moved into a spooky haunted house" gag from the recent premier that I'm still thinking about, it's so loving good / dumb / good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MrMojok posted:

There is a hilarious drone scene in the season premiere of Thirty Coins.

This show just gives no fucks at all.

It’s just like “Yeah, this show is apeshit crazy. Deal with it.”

I have never in my life seen anything so unapologetic about how over the top it is.

Is this season two or one?

The first episode of the first season was insane, just -- as you say -- unapologetically apeshit. But then the next two or three episodes decided to go nowhere very loving slowly and I gave up on it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Saw the recent Candyman. There's some cool stuff in there, and it looks pretty good (not amazing, but pretty good)... but that editing was for absolute poo poo.

It felt like the final version kept half heartedly dipping into a subplot about the girlfriend and her relationship with her dad (and maybe something spooky there I dunno) but nothing there was particularly developed. There's this one bit where the film just randomly cuts away from scenes with the main dude to have a literal two second shot of her chilling on a train and then it cuts back to the main guy.

Am I missing something there, or is it just a bit wonky?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doltos posted:

2006 was a different time. I saw it with two friends and we were all predisposed high schoolers hating things that took a chance. One of my favorite things about the present day is that people are less abashed about enjoying fun stuff.

I went to a screening of Talk To Me that was mostly a bunch of heckling from dickheads, and one dude who was scrolling IKEA's online catalogue on his very bright iPhone.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was really keen for It's A Wonderful Knife but I reckon it just doesn't work for me. The opening third is genuinely mediocre, trying really hard to cram an absolute fucktonne of exposition, plus a mini slasher film and a straight up pastiche of It's A Wonderful Life into about thirty minutes of screentime and it kind of sucks at all of those things. And I mean sucks, the first few scenes in particular really get things off on the wrong foot. The recreation of Jimmy Stewart's big bridge scene also doesn't work for me, and my big takeaway from the film is that it's one of those intertextual films that only works if you're familiar with the original (e.g. if you weren't familiar with It's A Wonderful Life then the title of this film is borderline meaningless and mostly just serves to bring attention to the knife).

Weirdly I want to say that Jumanji is probably a far better version of this kind of thing, down to the Christmas setting -- except it's substituting Rudyard Kipling instead of 80's slasher elements. I loving love Jumanji.

Justin Long was fun and the film could probably have used more of him tbh. It's a lot of fun dropping an outsized SNL performance into something everyone else is playing straight, and making it both funny and uncomfortable. I thought some of the other actors were kind of phoning it in though, particularly McHale.

Also appreciate that it's one of those slashers that's coming from the Scream school of letting the heroes get some licks in on the slasher villain. There's a few shoutouts to Scream generally, including an inferior riff on the car sequence from Scream 2 that really drove home how poorly some of this film is constructed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What other New Year's horror movies are there besides New Year's Evil and Bloody New Year?

And I forget which one had the tagline "Should auld acquaintance be forgot? Or just brutally murdered?" on the VHS box.

At least one of Hulu's Into The Dark anthology films is set at New Year, but they've got a film for most any holiday. I remember it being one of the decent ones too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

two!

Sophia Takal’s social media satire New Year, New You (which despite the phrase “social media satire” is actually good) and Carter Smith’s gay slasher Midnight Kiss (watchable, great cast)

Yeah I was thinking of the Carter Smith one. It's solid.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

moths posted:

It must resonate with someone, but I don't know who that could be.

Me tbh.

Like I get that there are a bunch of problems with the script, particularly some of the structural conceits and class commentary it's chosen to go in for (and it's not horror so this thread and it are probably misaligned in purpose), but a lot of the lead's anxieties about wealth, class, appearance, sexuality, etc. in the script reminded me of experiences I've been through. There are parts I find quite moving too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Unfortunately they've straight up said they've no plans to confirm anything weird happening, so it's gonna remain ambiguous and amorphous for the entire run.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Oo, I do love Brett Gelman.

He's a great performer, though the last I saw of the guy he was posting a weird, sing-song Zionist video to twitter for some reason. Soured me on the guy.

I'll probably check this out though, because I am me, checker out of things.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Really enjoying Silent Night Deadly Night. It's got a hot Santa who has nightmares about being stabbed in the butt and a random lady whose main character note is that she really loves her awful awful Christmas hat.

I can see this becoming an annual tradition.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Really enjoying Silent Night Deadly Night. It's got a hot Santa who has nightmares about being stabbed in the butt and a random lady whose main character note is that she really loves her awful awful Christmas hat.

I can see this becoming an annual tradition.

Okay I finished this now and it owned. Forty year old bully getting into a half assed punch up with a teenager boy and stealing his sled owned. Santa daddy? Owned. The scene with the little girl? I was cackling with laughter.

Final line was perfect. You cannot convince me they didn't know this wasn't not a comedy.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Majority of the remake was based on the Covina Massacre

This? Doesn't own. Why in the goddamn would you base your remake of a hilarious horror film around real world murders?

Also four years between the killings and the film? Wtf.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 12, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Dunno who recommended All About Evil, but I'm having a good time with it. Pearl meets Sweeney Todd. Really fun.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh yeah, that owned. All About Evil: perfect film?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

That film's just straight up horror fantasy. The valley with the statues? The horse?

Europeans should do more fantasy epics. They know that kids love having the poo poo scared out of them, and fantasy epics really only works if you ground the entire setting by emphasizing the lack of safety and making the monsters actually mean and hosed up. I'm half watching the new Percy Jackson with a mate and it's so anemic, the show's about children on the run from man eating monsters and there's somehow barely any threat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nikumatic posted:

Yeah, "it's not ACTUALLY a spookum" is my least favorite thing in the world. Mostly because it happens way more often than "OH poo poo SPOOKUMS ARE REAL" any time the story wants to play it ambiguously.

Are there many/ any films that have it both ways? Like you think you're watching a demon film set on a boat (are there any of these, seems like a solid idea tbh) but then it's like, psyche, just a killer shark.

But then the film's like, double psyche, and the mermaids attack.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hey, I don't know The Crow but Huston was an excellent villain in The Congress.

"I want to drink Robin Wright."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man Cam's really good hey. This entire party scene is really well put together.

TheKingslayer posted:

I like the first half of Jeepers Creepers before the monster really reveals itself. Seeing/finding some weird things on the road and checking it out against all good common sense is fun stuff.

Yeah, the first half of the film is really tight. I think the second film is mostly very solid too. One of the first horror films I saw, I caught the middle third on TV one day and had a really good time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Cam goes hard. Glad I gave this one a go. Like a modern day X Files. And that ending? Ooft.

Up there with All About Evil in underrated gems from the last decade or so.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

There was another time the year before that when a specific moment from a trailer caused me to be in the theater for a movie opening weekend, knowing close to zero about the movie and having never heard of it's star.

At the risk of repeating history: that shot looks really cool, what film is it from?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phy posted:

This is out on Crave in Canada tonight! They put it under "comedy"

Probably accurate.

Maybe it was the cinema I saw it in, but this has some of the worst lighting I've seen in a film in ages. Entire scenes where I couldn't tell who was present until they started speaking.

Film's okay otherwise, best joke is the title.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Lisa Frankenstein has a lot of great bits and and visual impulses, and is just fundamentally a pretty awesome idea, but I'm also absolutely convinced that there was a better film here that was killed in the edit. And I don't think Carla Guigno's performance works, which are words I never thought I'd say.

There's a really great gag in the film which is screaming out for an R rated cut too.

But yeah, honestly? I liked this. There's more ambiguity to it than I thought, particularly that final shot, and there's a lot of great lines and vibes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
From Beyond loving owned. The climax is basically perfect, just the perfect climax to a film like this. I can't imagine making something that cool.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I caught You'll Never Find Me at an almost completely dead cinema showing tonight. It's a shame, because it's absolutely one of those films that benefits from being experienced on a big screen with a nice sound system. Really, really excellent and stylish use of sound in particular

The plot isn't going to rock your world, and there are gonna be goons who'll get hard-core triggered by the content, but I'm glad I saw it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's a lot to like about Freaky, but I can't quite get over the idea that it's a bit mean to be laughing at someone because they don't act according to the social expectations of their gender. e.g. Vince Vaughan running "like a girl".

He and Newton do a great job at doing what they need to though, and there are other decent laughs. Between Freaky and the DeathDay films, I'm mildly disappointed that director isn't doing a Scream anymore.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Just saw Island Of Lost Souls. Genuinely pretty creepy at times, for reasons other than the hella racism even.

Anyone got anything else from this period they'd recommend. Was thinking I'd try that Wax Museum one and The Invisible Man, since I've heard good things.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Phy posted:

I think there's enough people who were traumatized by the tunnel as kids that they'd be like "ok yeah I get that"

Yeah, and the back half is basically a slasher. It's an easy get.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

M_Sinistrari posted:

I do believe AI was involved with it's creation with it being a test on how far can the major studios push this as a thing in light of how long the Writer's Guild strike went and considering one of the strikers concerns were of AI usage with scripts. The jankiness of the writing does fit for what AI spits out and it would fit for the studios to masquerade it under a few jokes on TV instead of it coming out they're looking for a cheap replacement for writers who require those pesky things like getting paid and taking time to write.

So, essentially, this is a theory you're presenting as fact?.

I mean, I'm fairly concerned by this kind of automation and consider it anti-art, but these guys wrote the script to Morbius. They just suck.

And wouldn't they have to credit whatever tool they used during the making of the film? Surely.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 22, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think if any tests for machine learning scripts are happening in low budget nonsense if they're not entirely relegated to scripting at this stage, so yeah, Plane seems more likely than Madame Web.

AI scripting is as much about cracking the formula to film creation, so as to induce reliable returns, as it is about reducing costs. The motivation is to save money. You don't test that on a tentpole production.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It might have been my screen, but I thought some of the shots were too dark. Others looked really good.

Same with Sweeney. Sometimes I thought she was really effective, basically whenever she has to play variations on anxiety and terror, but some of the lighter moments popped too (this isn't a very funny film, but the jokes are nice when they turn up and they turned up slightly more than I figured they would). But a lot of the scenes early on when she's just getting her feet under her, not so great.

The mean nun was really good though. I wanted more of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

Would you say it Catholic horror or nunsploitation? I cant decide whether I wanna see it or not. The former i Iove, the latter I avoid, hmmm :thunk:

It's not super sexy, (light content spoilers) Sweeney gets more wet t shirt scenes in your average Euphoria ep and otherwise it's chaste.