Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Crescent Wrench posted:

Can someone explain this to me, a person who adores and treasures One Cut of the Dead and recognized the location immediately but has no idea what the gently caress Senritsu Kaiki is?

Its a Koji Shiraishi series, the guy behind Occult and Noroi, of fake documentary horror films that only started to get translated relatively recently but have been going on since 2012. Its great, really flawed in places, but great. Has a lot of "the madman actually did it" energy for all the good and bad. I have a lot of affection for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I have the google doc link, is it ok to post here? It was PM to me so I always just did the same.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Majkol posted:

Can you PM it to me? Ive wanted to watch the series for a while and finally have some spare time.

here, i can't message you for some reason

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

same question with Koji Shiraishi

just go in a rough release order for his found footage stuff. part of the fun is seeing him revisit ideas and build upon them and then once you get into the later stuff he starts bringing back characters wholesale.

Stink Billyums posted:

I'd go noroi -> occult -> cult

so this but add senritsu 1st series > record of sweet murder > occult forest/rest of senritsu to the end

shirome is extra credit that can be skipped that comes after occult but i believe it will one day be important to the kojiverse 😇

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh for the new Senritus watchers, you can totally skip the shorts and not miss much but I enjoy them and they help develop the existential horror vibe. Not all of them are in the same documentary style either so its also feels like brief lil shakeups on the formula which is nice.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

WeaponX posted:

Never wanted something to be real more in my life

sadako in a fighting game would be one of those characters with traps... you would get a tv you move around the stage to teleport or attack out of...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

oh i didn't got a good look at this one earlier... throwing beatrice in there too is inspired

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Cult is better than Noroi and tired with Occult B)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

alf_pogs posted:

just casually having Koyoshi Kurosawa show up as the occultust scholar version of himself puts it in a whole other league. I love Noroi but there's no other movie like Occult. its terrific

The anthology film he did has Takashi Shimizu showing up for a short too, lol.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
sometimes a movie is about just having one really good performance and that is ok and creep does that and its good

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Basebf555 posted:

Is there a Halloweenish number that is between 13 and 31? As dumb as it sounds that's one of the reasons I had a hard time coming off 31 because it just feels appropriate for a Halloween challenge. And I do feel like 13 may just not be enough.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i just read what i could of the twitter thread without a twitter account and it seems not good

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snooze Cruise posted:

i just read what i could of the twitter thread without a twitter account and it seems not good

i found a way to read more of it, my main two take aways are
1. twitter is a bad format for this
2. weird pet behavior has to actually be weird to be scary

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

alf_pogs posted:

huh apparently Saw X is set in Mexico, sometime between Saw I and Saw II. great news for those who love the blessedly stupid timeline of retcon plot twists.

great, now i have to be scared of saw happening to me >:I

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i only ever saw one of the middle saw movies when i was like still a teen... but that trailer is a lot of fun maybe i should do a full marathon.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Wow, lot of people who haven't watch the latest Scream movies here

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Memories of a Murder and CURE would be a killer double feature

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im really good at remembering stuff i watch. i think i gain this ability growing up seeing my mother rent the movie Hitch with like four times and reminding her each time that she has seen this before and didn't like it previously.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my main takeaway from saw 3 is that it would be better if amanda was gay and the murder tension she had with the doctor lady was gay murder tension

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Saw 3D has a mean streak towards women. The most fair reading I can give to that is its Hoffman's anger at Jill leaking into the rest of the game, but like nah this move is just straight up misogynistic in a way the rest of the series never got close to. Weird!

Anyway despite that last film leaving a bad taste in my mouth and 3 being pretty boring, I enjoyed my time with the rest of the series. But I also have a soft spot for dumb convoluted puzzle plots. Is there any other horror that scratches that type of itch but uh... of a better quality lol?

and remember gang, never go through an unsecured door.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://i.imgur.com/37VGvj8.mp4 unmute

despite my issues with the rest of 7 this scene is truly cinema. safe. house.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Escape Room is one of the most by the numbers death game stories I seen, lol. I think the only thing missing was a taunting mascot. Still fun though, the set design is nifty.

I will now watch Tournament of Champions.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Tournament of Champions is better than the first. I called the twist on who the real baddie was B) But I was also watching the extended cut, and from what I read after finishing the movie that theatrical cut sounds bad, lol.

Anyway I had fun. I would watch more of these, they should make more of them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
EVIL is super fun and weird in a way you don't expect for something that got its start on network tv. Some of my favorite TV from the past few years.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Michael Emerson as Leiland is honestly one of the best villains in the modern TV era. He's just such an unrepentant shitbag, and yet the performance is so compelling and insane that you sorta root for him. That initial scene where he's receiving an exorcism and is screaming and wailing, and then stops completely to wink at the main characters before going back to pretending is just perfection. TBH, the real villain of the show, though, is Sheryl, who is just the loving worst in every way. Christine Lahti is great in that sort of 'Christine Baranski in Hell' way.

The bit in last season where Sheryl destroys the assistant with the nut allergy was fantastic. Great character in a show full of great characters.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
no don't massarce the chicken sword ronald wahhh 😭

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
tcms are happening all the time, my cousin went through one

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i keep putting it out in the world, but seriously a ghost trick like game where you are death possessing objects to kill people

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you know now that i think about it, jaws unleashed was sorta a video game where you were a slasher

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i remember going into an oil rig (?) and fighting a giant squid. good game. have a lot of childhood nostalgia for it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
sounds like a skill issue B)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the jaws book sucksss

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
sherlock gave us "i am SHER locked" so for that alone i am going to put it above black mirror because oh my god that was probably the stupidest thing i ever saw flipping the channel over to PBS

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Nothing on Netflix is good. Except ITYSL but that’s not horror

Do Revenge is great

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It took me longer than it should've to realize people itt weren't just incredibly hyped by Turner Classic Movies

i mean, personally both

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like 3 more than 2 and 5. 3 has a bit more of the existential dread stuff that I really like from one that most of the sequels dropped.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Suddenly in the Dark, 1981 Korean film that I expected to be a spooky doll movie but turned out to be way more than that. This was one of my favorite new watches this year, had 267 reviews.

Just watched this... Its like a less subtle Cat People (1942), oh my god lol. Freakin rules.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jedit posted:

So it's Cat People (1982)?

nah. the important bit here is the lesbian subtext

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,