Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
What are some of people's favorite castration scenes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Hollismason posted:

There was a rape revenge movie made years ago where these 3 women who were surgeons would kidnap guys and then castrate them. I just remember they did it to one guy and he woke up then he went to pee and started screaming. No I don't know the name of the movie. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Is there any chance that this was Rape Squad (also known as Acts of Vengeance) from 1974? I only remember it from being in a collection of negative Ebert reviews I had as a kid, but it sounds like it could be in the ballpark.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Glad you figured it out it out homie

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
What's the best horror film by a director who is mostly known for working outside of the genre. The Exorcist is the easy answer, but I'm sure there are a lot of interesting picks I'm too dumb to think of. Alien I think would count.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Origami Dali posted:

What's are the best scenes from a horror movie that take place in a public restroom?

Halloween (2018) has a pretty effective one. I'm a little lukewarm on the movie overall but that gas station sequence is one of the parts that works very well imo.

I don't know about best, but this one from The Relic is memorable to me. Would loving hate it if a big green monster yanked me off the toilet like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UBym5z6rgM

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Watched Influencer catching up with some buddies over the holiday but it wasn't the right vibe. Was interesting but really slow paced. Might have just been a bad pick for a hang out movie, but I do think its a lot less compelling narratively compared to the 90s thrillers i've seen it compared to.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
I tried to casually steer us towards Return of the Living Dead.. We did end watching the new Hellraiser which I liked well enough but thought was a little too glossy with both the characters and the cenobites.

Edit: Not complaining- staying up late watching scary movies with your friends is the best and I appreciate it a lot more when I get to do it these days.

BrownPepper fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 6, 2023

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

I love it too but it’s so hard to find the right movie for the crowd.

It might make me a coward, but I've mostly given up on picking specific movies for a given night. We will flip through Shudder, Netflix, etc and pick stuff that looks interesting. If it seems like we are settling on a total stinker I'll try and veto. Or if we are considering something I really want to see, I'll push for it.

It does really suck when you go to bat to watch something you really like and it doesn't hit with anyone else lol.

Martman posted:

Was not super into it either. I kept waiting the whole movie for Madison to come back with something like "I told you I was a girl scout, bitch," but then her return came way too late and just felt like an afterthought.

It felt like they couldn't decide if they wanted the villain to actually be relatable or just crazy and she ended up being an unfortunately boring middle ground.

Yeah- exactly this. While I was watching I was expecting the payoff in your spoiler but when it happens its very perfunctory. Agree that I would have liked it more if it leaned into being either a study of this hosed up person and the social trends she's reacting to or a trashy melodramatic thriller. Not bad, but I don't think I'll ever revisit it.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Hollismason posted:

There was suppose to be a crossover film of Insidious and Sinister but it never materialized.

winner fights Conjuring

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Lmao

Smash Bros lineup of the nun, a witch or something?, that red guy...

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
That guy (the Crooked Man) was going to get his own spinoff I believe.

Edit: lol very much at the image. I'd been thinking about an Insidious v Conjuring movie as a stupid private joke since hearing about the new one.

BrownPepper fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 9, 2023

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Secret character thats the real life Warrens. theyre a duo like the ice climbers and their special attack is calling you a demon and selling the rights to your life story

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Alternate Warrens costumes are George and Kathy Lutz.

Ronald DeFeo Jr. is a ranged fighter

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Hollismason posted:

I still can't figure out who that's suppose to be

Spock- a vile, green blooded alien

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Watched The Vast of Night tonight. I think someone in this thread mentioned that its a good warm summer night watch and that was absolutely correct. I'd agree that it's not strictly horror, but the overall vibe was very unsettling (in a fun way) for me. Absolutely great example of vibes based filmmaking, and I want to move to the desert and work at a radio station. Absolutely top tier UFO movie. I think it's a tough genre because you need to balance the mystery and paranoia with some kind of payoff. This one gets the balance right by leaning into the mystery imo.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Deadite posted:

I've been watching Lodge 49 and thought I'd hold on to this screen cap

Great show and while it's not horror it does feature a very fun performance from Bruce Campbell

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Hollismason posted:

Its 10AM in the morning and I'm watching Meg 2 (Obviously)

ABWH (Always be watching horror)

Got this queued up for later this afternoon. I'm worried based on the trailer that they don't go nearly as wild with additional monsters as I feel like they really need to. I should probably just wait to catch it on TNT at a hotel at some point for the optimal viewing experience but I can't resist a shark movie.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Excellent work.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Naked Man Punch posted:

Doing my family "30 for 30" marathon and I cannot, in good conscience, recommend Hellions (2015) to anyone. I'll probably say the same about Pet Sematary: Bloodlines today, but at least I sandwiched Hereditary in between them. Never seen it before and woo, that movie goes hard.

Is that Hellions the weird "documentary" about underground goblins or something? I've been tempted to check that out but never pulled thre trigger.

Edit: My bad- I was thinking of Hellier

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

ruddiger posted:

Tried to do a “stay in the light” theme night with the Boogeyman, Lights Out, and Darkness, but ended up watching the wrong Darkness movie which also ended up being the worst of the bunch.

Darkness Falls would also qualify, for better or worse. How's the Boogeyman?

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Zwabu posted:

I mean such a fundamentally silly movie as the new Exorcist one could have been fun if they'd gone for a hard campy vibe, but NOOOOOOOO.

Exorcist TV show is basically this, at least the first season. A lot of fun and worth watching imo.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Anyone doing Jack o Lanterns this year? Thinking about hitting up the pumpkin patch even though we're in an apartment without a great way to display them and will get 0 trick or treaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Hollismason posted:

The scene in Christine where the car is on fire and just driving down the road to run that guy down is loving insanely bad rear end imagery.

Its fall weather here so I decided on Christine and I think I'mma go with another Stephen King as well probably Maximum Overdrive.

That whole gas station set-piece is really great. Also Keith Gordan is really good in in it; he totally sells the very drastic change his character goes through. Movie wouldn't work nearly as well if he isn't convincing at both ends of his personality change.