Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Shrecknet posted:

who is a non-horror director who you'd like to see take on a horror project?

Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy discuss their lives together as they crawl through the digestive tract and are slowly dissolving in the bowels of an eldritch horror that ate them after they accidentally summoned it due to a particularly fierce marital spat.

Richard Linklater's Before Digestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

GhostWatch is so fantastic. I didn't rate it as highly as some when I first saw it but it hasn't left my head ever since so I've grown extremely fond of it. The cultural context surrounding it is great too.

It's so, so good. I was still pretty young when was originally broadcast so I didn't get to watch it until a few years later, but I remember all of the fallout that surrounded it. The UK tabloids (who have always wanted to kill the BBC) did this massive display of performative outrage about how shocking and disturbing it was to have such a thing appear on TV. They were printing stories of people killing themselves because of it, etc. which all turned out to be fake or completely unrelated, of course.

The use of well-known and beloved British TV presenters make it so perfect in a way that, say, WNUF Halloween Special can't reach because nobody knows who the presenters in that are. Michael Parkinson was probably the most known TV presenter in the country - generally known only for very serious interviews and reports - and here he is hosting this (allegedly) live programme with also UK-famous Sarah Greene and Craig Charles - it MUST be real, right?

It's obviously not going to be the scariest thing anyone could watch nowadays but the fact that it even exists and had the impact that it did is nothing short of phenomenal. It's something that had never really been done before and has been pretty much impossible to do since. I think the only thing that even comes close in terms of sheer fascination for me is the viral marketing around The Blair Witch Project.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

I wish someone could redo wnuf but make it actually cool you know?

I like WNUF plenty, it's fine, but trying to do Ghostwatch as an actual film with actors instead of beloved TV presenters and not broadcast on TV (while pretending to be a live performance) can never land as well. It's a film we're watching in theatres/streaming/digital media, we know it's pre-recorded.

The legacy of the panic generated might be a little overstated, a bit like the Orson Welles 'War of the Worlds', but it was such a novel concept that even if it wasn't very good it would deserve kudos for trying something so ambitious. But it turned out to be really well done. I wish I had watched it when it first aired, although I'm also glad that I didn't because my bedroom was next to the boiler that used to make thumping noises in the pipe during the night.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

I know it sounds dumb to say that my enthusiasm for a movie took a major hit because of a hair related decision but come on. What is this?

It looks bad because we're familiar with the Brandon Lee Crow, but the original character was supposedly inspired by Iggy Pop which makes this new look more understandable... if still kinda bad. I dunno, he's a good actor so I'll give it a chance. Sucks that this is yet another film where we could've gotten a loving crazy Nick Cave script.

Medullah posted:

Biggest thing that the new Crow literally cannot compare to the original is going to be the soundtrack. Holy poo poo that was a work of art

The Crow soundtrack and the Judgment Night soundtrack are the two most perfect encapsulations of (non-pop) 90s music and are still sooooo loving good.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Xiahou Dun posted:

There are too many loving Skarsgards. Skarsgårdn. Whatever.

I sure am tired of all these Skarsgår Wars *uses the Force to make Top Dollar fall on to a weather vane*

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Just rewatched Unfriended: Dark Web and god that movie is so much fun. Mostly just a dark comedy about the shittiest white guy boyfriend in horror (well maybe not but he's up there. dude JUST LEARN ASL). It's truly an injustice we got like 15 Paranormal Activity films but I'll never get my third Unfriended.

Host (2020) is pretty much a spiritual sequel to Unfriended. A group of friends carry out an online seance on zoom and poo poo goes down.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Crescent Wrench posted:

Unlike Unfriended, however, it's complete and total garbage. (Unfriended is complete and total garbage, but in an endearing and fun way.)

I thought Host was okay. Had some decent spooky bits but yeah, Unfriended is a lot more fun-bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I enjoyed Late Night With the Devil, though I did a little lol at the 1:45 of like 8 different production company idents at the start. That's gotta be some kind of record, right?