Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'll just redo my first throwing down the gauntlet post from the last thread

Best opening scene is TCM with the narration, the camera flashes of the dug up corpse in the dark, to the corpse on the monument. TCM is also the best horror movie. TCM 2 is awful.

Also,
Jason Lives is the best.
Phantasm I-IV are all good for dif reasons.
Tom Atkins :love:
Linnea Quigley in ROTLD is best horror babe.
Bram Stoker's Dracula is a hilariously bad mess, but a beautiful looking one.
Suspiria is by far the most overrated horror movie, but a beautiful looking one. The remake is way better.
Black Christmas is the best slasher, and better than Halloween by a lot.
Rob Zombie is just ok. Eli Roth has never been good.
Evil Dead > Evil Dead II
Freddy is better than Michael and Jason and it ain't even close
Midsommar>Hereditary
Both Rosemary's Baby and Carrie aren't that good
Found footage sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Oh, and Skinamarink is great.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
dark night of the scarecrow is really a lowkey gem. The main characters after the opening are lovely yokels who end up getting owned. What I really like about it is that it's a slasher that predominantly features people who are middle aged at the youngest. There's no teen hijinks, no hokey scarecrow swinging a scythe, just farming accidents: the movie and a cool little reveal at the end.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What's are the best scenes from a horror movie that take place in a public restroom?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I guess Kubrick is too obv

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I just remembered a scene from The Redeemer: Son of Satan (aka Class Reunion Massacre) where a guy in a clown mask drowns someone in the sink of a school and it was kinda intense compared to the rest of the movie.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Zwabu posted:

Is the 2023 Children of the Corn any good?

it being a kurt wimmer movie, I'm disappointed in the noticeable lack of gun kata

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
wan should make a conjuring//malignant crossover where gabriel kung fu's the warrens to death

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I bounced off Noroi big time, I feel like the only one who didn't like it

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

The 8mm films were great, i wish they would’ve come up with a better wrap-around story to just keep making family snuff sequels

the difference in quality and tone between the 8mm stuff, and the scenes with svengoolie and d'onofrio's hilarious exposition about him are so stark, it's like they're from different movies.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
My necronomicon never disintegrated. Still in good shape.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Chris James 2 posted:

Pet Sematary: Bloodlines

pet sematary in space, hell yeah

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
iggy pop's freddy's dead song is a strong contender

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
can't leave out the terrorvision theme

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
need a future saw where it's jigsaw.gpt run amok, like ghost in the machine poo poo

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

david_a posted:

Can you stream this anywhere, or do you have to buy the Blu-Ray?

Physical only, all streaming versions are the theatrical cut

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Some in the thread liked my horror trailer/commercials halloween playlist on yt last october. I made it into this thing a couple of days ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIHuAbnI3OE

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

BioEnchanted posted:

The worst thing that the NOES franchise did was the terrible backstory for Freddy where his mother (trigger warning for SA)was a nun who was raped by 100 madmen, He worked better when he was just the neighbour who happened to murder children, that's far creepier. No reason behind why he's so evil, he just is like that.

and then that wasn't enough, so they had to add that he was also picked on in school (because the second graders somehow knew the 100 maniacs poo poo) and also abused by his foster father. Really dumb poo poo

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
gently caress, rip to a real one

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The best used to be from hellraiserbox.net. They'd better be for the price.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Hollismason posted:

I've decided that I'm going to just keep watching Basket Case movies because I can't remember anything about the 2nd and 3rd

lol you're in for a good time

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I need a good horror movie that primarily takes place at a carnival/fair or small amusement park that is not The Funhouse, Ghoulies 2, Freaks, or Haunt

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Shine some light through it

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I had a bunch of those childhood video store obscurities. Making Contact (Joey) and The Quest (Frog Dreaming) come to mind.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The first Blind Dead has such an unpleasant and out of nowhere rape scene that it really soured me on the rest of it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What a great movie

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Hollismason posted:

Cushing actually played Sherlock Holmes a few times but I'm not sure if you'll be able to track down his other movies. He was also in a Sherlock Holmes TV series , but I'm also not sure how readily available that is.

Out of the sixteen eps of the Cushing Sherlock Holmes series, only six survive. The rest fell victim to the BBC's tape reusing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Hollismason posted:

No one said anything so I went with Midsommar, but I'll probably watch both.

edit:

Wait Midsommar is 2 hours and 50 loving minutes. GODDAMN IT.

Uh no. Unless you're talking about that weird extended version, which by all accounts is much worse than the theatrical cut.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What's some good creepy horror or gritty thriller movies that mostly take place in abandoned buildings (not a single regular old haunted house), preferably with lots of graffiti and/or Silent Hill type grime. I'm thinking Candyman, Escape from NY, Deadbeat at Dawn, Session 9 ish stuff. Bonus if the building(s) are in the middle of nowhere instead of a big city, like the end of True Detective S1.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The pilot to Black Mirror is a man loving a pig on live TV with all the dour seriousness of Requiem for a Dream. Respect. It has a better hit rate than most anthology shows.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Afraid of the Dark (1991) is my underseen pick (884 watched on LB). It's one of those horror adjacent coming of age movies, like Celia or The Reflecting Skin. It's a somber movie that has some dark, weird poo poo and I don't know a single person who has seen it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
If you have ptsd, jumpscares are the most annoying thing in the goddamn universe

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Nice, I'm not the only one. I never saw it as a kid, and back then I only knew Elvira through her intros on ThrillerVideo tapes and cultural osmosis. I watched MotD a couple years ago and yeah, wasn't into it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A movie made with the purpose of instilling fear and/or disgust/revulsion in the viewer is a fine enough guide for horror, but even that has exceptions. Instilling suspense is typically seen as more the mark of a thriller, which implies a kind of nervous anticipation of the unknown (which is why most thrillers are mysteries of some kind), but parsing suspense from fear isn't always easy or possible. Some people in the debate think that the very concept of suspense might be incoherent anyway. Can I really say there's a distinct difference between the suspense of the neighbor slowly approaching Jimmy Stewart's apartment at the end of Rear Window vs. Michael Myers stalking Laurie from across the street, or Sadako lumbering towards the TV screen? Who knows, so it's whatever. Art is hard.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The military base setting is really what kills 3. Such a drab environment full of assholes. The amusement park at the end is super cool, but it's too little too late. Should've set the whole movie there and just done a Ghoulies 2 remake with Chucky.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The voodoo incantation that causes a massive explosion kinda tips it off from the getgo, lol. If Child's Play were made in the 70's, I could see it being a weird slow burn Roeg or Polanski type psych thriller, maybe along the lines of Magic. I'd kinda like to have seen that, but it never would've gotten a sequel, which means no Child's Play 2, and that's unacceptable..

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Always thought it was weird that Rambo was never shirtless in IV. It's his main thing, dude. I thought maybe Sly was self conscious about getting older and lumpier or something but then he was shirtless in a movie right after that and was crazy jacked.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think the Judas thing is all Craven.

Craven just "executive produced" to have his name out on it as a favor to the writer/director, who was his longtime editor Patrick Lussier.

Lussier wrote it, oddly enough, with a dude who was the 2nd unit director on Nightmare 2. That guy would go on to be one of the producers on the Pulse remake, which Craven originally wrote (w Vince Gilligan) and had planned to direct before the Weinsteins screwed him over.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

alf_pogs posted:

holy poo poo talk about a squandered opportunity. i wish Vince would throw his hat into more horror territory, his X-Files episodes are usually really great

Yeah, he and Craven wrote it, with Craven slated to direct, and in talks with Kirsten Dunst to star. Then Harvey blew it all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

feedmyleg posted:

Hopefully Carpenter isn't just cashing a check

But it's his favorite thing to do! well, besides weed and games.