Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't care how much more sense it makes the other way, every time I watch a vampire movie I can't help but imagine that vampire fangs are weird little hollow blood straws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

feedmyleg posted:

I don't care how much more sense it makes the other way, every time I watch a vampire movie I can't help but imagine that vampire fangs are weird little hollow blood straws.

I mean that's how vampire fangs work. Is there some other way?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Hollismason posted:

i do like the Strain's take on vampire fangs, just massive monster-worm tongues, but essentially yes all vampires use the ol' blood tube

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think the Judas thing is all Craven.

Craven just "executive produced" to have his name out on it as a favor to the writer/director, who was his longtime editor Patrick Lussier.

Lussier wrote it, oddly enough, with a dude who was the 2nd unit director on Nightmare 2. That guy would go on to be one of the producers on the Pulse remake, which Craven originally wrote (w Vince Gilligan) and had planned to direct before the Weinsteins screwed him over.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

the Pulse remake, which Craven originally wrote (w Vince Gilligan) and had planned to direct before the Weinsteins screwed him over.

holy poo poo talk about a squandered opportunity. i wish Vince would throw his hat into more horror territory, his X-Files episodes are usually really great

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

alf_pogs posted:

holy poo poo talk about a squandered opportunity. i wish Vince would throw his hat into more horror territory, his X-Files episodes are usually really great

Yeah, he and Craven wrote it, with Craven slated to direct, and in talks with Kirsten Dunst to star. Then Harvey blew it all up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hollismason posted:

The fangs tear open the throat and then they suck down the blood through their mouths

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'mma go ahead and say Dracula 2000 is good B Movie fodder. I rewatched it and while not great it at least goes for some interesting changes to the Dracula mythology that overall adds more than it takes away. Its got some great young actors in it with Gerard Butler being a stand out. You've got Christopher Plummer playing Van Helsing and that's really good. It's pretty bloody. Other than some bizarrely placed Vampire Kung Fu its action is pretty decent.

Overall on re-evaluation I can recommend it simply because the new mythology is pretty great addition.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, he and Craven wrote it, with Craven slated to direct, and in talks with Kirsten Dunst to star. Then Harvey blew it all up.

drat

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Audibled into The Burrowers, and that is a bleak loving movie. Like, The Searchers was rough and meditative but this one is like, almost gleefully sadistic with its themes.

Xiahou Dun posted:

You should watch Savageland. The found “footage” is photographs, and the movie also rules.

Sorry I wasn’t around to warn you. AA, SB is shaky like a motherfucker.
I actually posted about how much Savageland rules like, 90 pages ago. It's real good, American Lake Mungo

e: page 2 :corsair:

Shrecknet posted:

Agree that found footage sucks, both from a motion sickness angle and from a "why are you filming this?" angle, but the related 'horror mockumentary' genre gave us Lake Mungo and I will actual-factual murder you if you think that movie isn't the tightest poo poo ever.

Just watched Savageland and it very, very clearly was taking inspiration from Lake Mungo but tried to do its own thing and it was only OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyJLF1cL2r0

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 4, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Shrecknet posted:

It's more of a coffee table book but horror author Grady Hendrix proved his horror nerd bona fides with this book, which I found fascinating:

It's just a retrospective of those awesome yellowed dime-store horror novels and a celebration of what we left behind when everything became a minimalist solid-color cover and/or digital

Agreed it's an excellent book and Grady Hendrix will have my eternal gratitude for introducing me to Michael McDowell's* Blackwater which I would kill to see get adapted someday, though it would probably be better off getting adapted as a TV series like say The Strain or The Walking Dead rather than as a movie due to its scope

*most people in these parts would probably know him best for having written Beetlejuice

Shrecknet posted:

hey I appreciate this and more people should do it. I'm cool with a croc biting a dude's arm off or a woman violently imploding 26,000ft below sea level but absolutely don't need to watch more SA in my movies.

That second one is very specific where is that one from?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

You're right, I DO love goopy things!

Hell, make a version of that with wrestling replacing Ghost TV and you have me in a nutshell!

Same

Beautiful

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

We're doing it boys, we're reaching perfect synthesis...

Perfection

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Cozy horror is real, it is called Over The Garden Wall and it is good and it is my friend.

Yeah most kid oriented horror content probably fits in that niche when viewed from an adult perspective, also with some of the genre hybrids that lean more towards their non horror side like Army of Darkness or Young Frankenstein or most of the Showa era Kaiju films

Shrecknet posted:

there's a not-indefensible take that the slasher is always coming, unstoppable, dealing justice as he sees fit with endless brutality in the face of overwhelming odds... and if you just tweak his motivations, he's a power fantasy from every action movie ever.

There's a comic series I like called Body Bags(no relation to the horror film of the same name) that really plays with how those are two sides of the same coin with main character Mack "Clownface" Delgado who is just an absolute vicious bastard, funny thing is his daughter Panda in several of the stories kind of has some final girl vibes with the situations she gets into albeit one a lot more snarky and skilled with guns than the usual example of that trope

Hollismason posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgZiBS64sC4

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

let's just all be glad that vampires work the way they do as the alternative would be some sort of creature that opens you up and vomits more blood into you.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Chucky is the goddamned terminator. So good.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

LMAO at the main lead lady Dracula is after in Dracula 2000 works at a Virgin Megastore.

Take a shot every time a Virgin logo is on screen (the store, t-shirts, vans, billboards), you won't make it through the movie.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
And remember to turn on your monitor or you're really screwed

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I love that this is the poster. It's not even in the movie.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk what that is, it’s not the movie poster though. That’s just Netflix being stupid as hell and shoving nonsense together. Probably with ai

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like a production still :confused:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xiahou Dun posted:

You should watch Savageland. The found “footage” is photographs, and the movie also rules.

It's one of my favorites, what great presentation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RIP Gayle Hunnicutt of The Legend of Hell House fame. The movie is 50 years old this year, so another good reason to rewatch (as if you need one).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

H110Hawk posted:

I love that this is the poster. It's not even in the movie.

Looks like a deleted scene, which is a shame that we didn't get more of Andy palling around with Chucky because some of those scenes were my favorite parts of the movie. There's some great, pre-reveal moments where Chucky is still in doll form but subtly trying to do things without being too obvious. Like he turns his head to watch the news about the toy store shootout, etc., or just the fact that he turns his head towards whoever's talking to him to say the pre-recorded doll lines.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Importing a quote from the May horror challenge...

VROOM VROOM posted:

Feel free to give it a rewatch before reading this to see if you can piece it together, but Triangle is one of my GOATs because (massive ending+rewatch spoilers) "time loop" is just what it wants you to think until the end, where it turns out that Jess and her kid are loving dead. The beginning of the movie at the house actually happened, as did the car sequence+crash at the end, and they died. The part where Jess abuses her kid also happened, but the movie hides this from you until the end because it wants her to be a sympathetic character on a first watch. But in death Jess refuses to accept responsibility for her actions and let go, so she keeps trying to cheat Death to get her son back. Hence the story of Sisyphus. The cab driver at the end is literally Charon.

When she says "that wasn't Mommy" in the car, that's not because the version of her that hit her kid was an evil clone or anything, it's because she refuses to accept that that WAS her and this is all her fault. So back into the loop she goes.

I just wanted to let you know I was able to rewatch Triangle a couple of weeks ago and then revisit your post. The movie's a fun rewatch even on face value when you're looking for hints and clues are making sure the mechanics are consistent. However, I think your spoilered interpretation definitely tracks, and in a satisfying manner (albeit a bummer) to boot. Thanks for the encouragement to give it another watch.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

VROOM VROOM posted:

And remember to turn on your monitor or you're really screwed

:emptyquote:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I found this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_holiday_horror_films

Not sure how complete it is but its got a list of every horror film on every holiday.

Turns out there is a horror movie on Labor Day called Humongous.

It's 930 in the morning and I do not have work. Of course I am watching it.

Welp Spoiler alert : Humongous stars off with a fairly graphic rape scene however immediately after dogs tear the rapist apart

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 4, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Looks like a deleted scene, which is a shame that we didn't get more of Andy palling around with Chucky because some of those scenes were my favorite parts of the movie. There's some great, pre-reveal moments where Chucky is still in doll form but subtly trying to do things without being too obvious. Like he turns his head to watch the news about the toy store shootout, etc., or just the fact that he turns his head towards whoever's talking to him to say the pre-recorded doll lines.

Yeah you only got a few moments of those before the reveal, which is a shame. I assume it's a deleted scene as well and Discovery are just being dumb. (It's on HBO.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I appreciate in Humongous that their plan is to burn the house down to the ground which uh its on a heavily wooded island. So uh... I guess burn the motherfucker down to the ground is a plan

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's some fun, ignorable background 90s horror or horror-adjacent TV that I can watch while cleaning and such? I don't want to get too invested, but I want it to suck me in for a scene occasionally, or at least look cool when I glance at the TV. I've been watching Are You Afraid of the Dark which has been great, but I want to try something new, and The Outer Limits feels a little too similar. I didn't watch much horror TV other than X-Files at the time because I was too s-s-scared so I'm pretty ignorant of the basics. Buffy was too soapy the few times I tried it, but I wonder about trash like The Crow tv series, or Poltergeist: The Legacy.

On another note, I finished the last 1/3 of Child's Play 3 and I came away much warmer than when I had to pause it the night before. Yeah, the military academy wasn't as interesting as it could have been, but when they did the war games bit I thought it was a nice heightening, they made me go "Noooo!" at the TV when the nerd jumped on the grenade, and the entire carnival bit is absolute gold. I know I'm a sucker for a carnival setting (shoutout to Ghoulies 2) but the production design was fantastic, and running around backstage at a haunted house ride is a spooky kid's dream. I mean, can a climax get any better than having to climb a mountain of skulls to kill the voodoo-possessed serial killer murder doll that destroyed your life?

Going to watch Bride tonight. I already cheated and watched the intro and I'm in.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 4, 2023

sad question
May 30, 2020

I just watched The Blob remake for the first time. Super fun and with some absolutely gnarly deaths. The blob itself looked meatier than I expected, I thought it would by more like evil jello

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I watched it a couple years for the first time. I'm still shocked it's so underseen and underrated. It definitely belongs up there next to The Fly and The Thing in the 80s horror remake pantheon. It feels practically forgotten outside of this thread, though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

What's some fun, ignorable background 90s horror or horror-adjacent TV that I can watch while cleaning and such? I don't want to get too invested, but I want it to suck me in for a scene occasionally, or at least look cool when I glance at the TV.
Millennium. Dark Angel. Tales from the Darkside. M.A.N.T.I.S.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Blob 88 goes extremely loving hard.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Holy gently caress , new Godzilla Minus One Trailer, Releases December 1st.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7DqccP1Q_4

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

Blob 88 goes extremely loving hard.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

I watched it a couple years for the first time. I'm still shocked it's so underseen and underrated. It definitely belongs up there next to The Fly and The Thing in the 80s horror remake pantheon. It feels practically forgotten outside of this thread, though.

Absolutely agreed.

I remembered to pick Chucky season 2 back up with the announcement of the 3rd season. I got a little out of it halfway through, but christ, the joy and pleasure of making this show just explodes off the screen. It's so absolutely silly and ridiculous and fun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Appreciate that Slaughter High has no problem hanging lots of dong.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The eighties are depressing with the lack of dong.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

feedmyleg posted:

What's some fun, ignorable background 90s horror or horror-adjacent TV that I can watch while cleaning and such? I don't want to get too invested, but I want it to suck me in for a scene occasionally, or at least look cool when I glance at the TV. I've been watching Are You Afraid of the Dark which has been great, but I want to try something new, and The Outer Limits feels a little too similar. I didn't watch much horror TV other than X-Files at the time because I was too s-s-scared so I'm pretty ignorant of the basics. Buffy was too soapy the few times I tried it, but I wonder about trash like The Crow tv series, or Poltergeist: The Legacy.
Supernatural isn’t quite 90s but definitely fits as horror tv you can turn on and half watch and just zone in for the really good stuff and end of episode meta plot recaps. And there’s like 13 seasons of it so it will last.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

STAC Goat posted:

Supernatural isn’t quite 90s but definitely fits as horror tv you can turn on and half watch and just zone in for the really good stuff and end of episode meta plot recaps. And there’s like 13 seasons of it so it will last.

Worth noting, it does seem like if you watch more than ten episodes of Supernatural you become maniacally obsessed with it and start writing Omegaverse fanfiction.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
angel was pretty decent for a buffy spinoff, kinda did its own thing though it did occasionally lean toward melodrama

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gripweed posted:

Worth noting, it does seem like if you watch more than ten episodes of Supernatural you become maniacally obsessed with it and start writing Omegaverse fanfiction.

And then you get to enjoy the show writing entire episodes, characters, and key plot points around “what the gently caress is wrong with our fans?”