Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I really wanna catch a movie this Saturday in a theater, are there any good horror movies being shown right now? Nightswim I’ve heard was disappointing which sucks cause I was looking forward to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

WeaponX posted:

Anchor Bay released that Necronomicon edition of Evil Dead that basically disintegrated into dust when exposed to air- and we need more of that sort of ingenuity.

I forgot about this :laffo: I remember coming home from college and wondering why there was dried chicken skin hanging from one of my DVDs

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Has Killer Klowns never gotten a 4K blu-ray release? Thats kind of surprising with how big of a push the IP has had the past two years

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’ve had an idea I’ve wanted to write and flesh out more about how it’s weird how the same small town police are always shocked with a Jason or Myers or insert slasher returns for like Friday the 13th 14: Jason does Taxes and the idea is the towns power structure and government has been paid off by rich parties who basically want the slashers to come back every year as a form blood sport that’s streamed to them via hidden cameras installed around town for gambling purposes and one of the previous victims family member finally starts asking how a slasher can keep coming back to the same town for over a decade yet the literal graveyardsof victims never breaks into the national news

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Saw the tv show?????

No, I haven’t yet

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

WeaponX posted:

I want a haunted laserdisc movie

As disc rot sets in the images on the disc become decaying spirits desperate for escape at all costs

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Jump scares are just a tool. Over reliance on a tool isn’t the tools fault, it’s a lack of skill and creativity on part of the person using the tool. Jump scares, when used well, are amazing. The Exorcist 3s jump scare is loving iconic because of how well it’s used and nothing about it feels cheap

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The Crow says “It’s crow time” and uses his crow powers to figure out how to get a peanut out of a rudimentary puzzle maze

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

Clive Barker's committing to writing full-time going forward, including for film and TV adaptations https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1766105052467298757

Finally, Nightbreed 2

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

From Beyond is one of those movies I’m really glad I have on blu-ray because it’s one of those horror movies that, because it’s not a franchise with a bunch of sequels, constantly disappears from streaming service at the drop of a hat and you can’t really be sure it’s going to return to one

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I have plates full of food in front of me but still I slam my fists on the table, demanding Godzilla Minus One or I’ll starve to death. Give me my giant lizard movie, you assholes

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Day of the Dead was weirdly underrated for a while because people expected even more big zombie horde fighting after the climax of Dawn but instead got a much smaller in scope movie but honestly the nihilistic horror of Day is probably one of the best depictions of an actual apocalypse happening with its constant inescapable dread and despair. Every character in the movie feels like they’re one small turn away from suicide

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 13, 2024

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Which is funny cause Land of the Dead was basically made to meet all the then critics of Day and to give people what they said should have been the sequel to Dawn but it resulted in a pretty forgettable movie

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dawn of the dead is still out of print because of the dumbest man alive smh

I just ordered a box set of it on Amazon for that’s in 4K, is that like a limited run or something?

Return of the Living Dead is actually how I got so deep into all things horror. I was being babysat as a kid by my great grandmother and browsing the VHS tapes she had. She had a copy of Return of the Living Dead 2 and the cover art freaked me out bad. But I started to want to always look at it afterward and eventually snuck the tape home to watch it. Probably warped my small brain but whatever now I want horror mainlined into my mindscape

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Your mother’s mother’s mother or your mother’s mother who is high quality?

I mean, either way she rules.

Mothers mothers mother

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

I've been eyeballing this one, but now I'm not so sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Limited-Delu...tv%2C121&sr=1-1

Yeah, that’s the one I ordered. I know the bonus disc I can’t watch but my main want is the 4K UHDs and those are region free

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Movie right fights are loving dumb as poo poo

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It’s still weird to read “The failure of the The thing in 1982”. Like I know at release it was panned and considered bad but I still can’t wrap my head around how

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Speaking of Rob Zombie, wasn’t the latest theatrical rerelease of House of 1000 Corpses in 4K? I’d love to get a 4K blu-ray of it

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I wonder if we’ll get a physical release

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

phiz…I..kal? What are these words?

:negative:

Why hurt me like this?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The scene with the woman zombie explaining why zombies eat brains is honestly the scariest thing I've ever seen in a horror movie. It unsettles me on the deepest level. It's all so good.

It’s such a good scene of just sudden existential dread that pops into the middle of such a goofy movie

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Wasn't the actually good new Invisible Man ostensibly "Dark Universe" too?

I’ve had to be a hype man for this movie to get people to watch it because they assume it’s just reheated IP garbage. Never had a movie make me feel a growing unease like this one by slowly panning to like an empty corner of a room. The camera work and sound design are great.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

And of course you have people defending it smugly going “What, would you feel better if they paid someone on Fiver to make the art?”. Yes? How is that some kind of gotcha? It’s still an artist getting paid over a computer stealing their art and making a bad, lovely version of it. I don’t know how you can be someone who enjoys movies, something born out of labor from artists, and be fine with AI fuckery. And like someone said earlier, using AI taints the entire production. Using AI for the art because it’s not important well what else did they deem not important? Or what if the next movie they deem more things not important to use AI on?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m of the same mind. If a production feels their time is too important and can’t be bothered to make the movie and instead uses some lovely over hyped chat bot algorithm to make parts of it, why should I give that production my time by watching it?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngsqaRD2HI8

I would say the big names in Hollywood would be curb on AI nonsense progression but given what Cameron did to Aliens in it's latest UHD release :v:

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 22, 2024

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I was gonna pass on Immaculate since I find Scary Nun and spooky Catholicism kinda of boring and overdone but every reviewer and person I’ve seen talking about it all say it’s actually a decent film

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's still the truth even if it's the wrong thread.

And tonight it was sold out showings for Immaculate and Late Night with the Devil. Anyone who couldn't get into those or Ghostbusters went to Imaginary.

What a terrible fate

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hmm should I go see Immaculate or Late Night with the Devil this weekend?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

Watching this right now and it kicks rear end

I'm watching it as part of the Last Drive in and it's a trip :laffo:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

We had our Easter dinner today since my parents are leaving tomorrow for Florida so I will be celebrating Easter how god intended; with a scary nun movie in the afternoon. I'm probably gonna have the entire theater to myself for a 3:00 PM showing :laffo:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Null of Undefined posted:

I mean the alternative would be her screaming twice and then birthing a baby, which my wife would just roll her eyes at because births are always one of those things that are shortened for time in movies. I liked that her scene went on uncomfortably long. I also liked that the villain was a mad scientist because I feel like we don't get that enough, despite the fact that men doing experiments on women without their knowledge or consent is a way more present threat in the world than god knocking someone up

Yeah, I gotta say after seeing it today I liked that a lot. I was expecting another spooky, paranormal evil nuns movie and I even assumed she was carrying the anti-christ when it was revealed she was pregnant without any sex. When the reveal happened this was just insane people trying to bring about their own baby Jesus and there wasn't anything actually supernatural happening, I actually really happy with the twist. They don't even confirm if that was a real nail of the cross it's simply some relic randomly brought to them they assume is real.

On an unrelated note, after seeing the previews in the theater today before Immaculate. There's another quiet place movie coming out? Who is demanding these things?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I saw Immaculate on Easter in a crowded theater and a (presumably, based on voice) middle aged woman sternly announced, 'You can't do that!' at the end of the movie, and that really bumped it up a couple points for me.

I do have to admit when they were leading up to that I was going “No chance in hell, she’s gonna slam it beside the baby. They’re not actually going to do it.” until the rock hit and the screen cut to black. It took me until the credits to realize they actually did it

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Might as well continue the religious horror theater going, so I’ve got a ticket for an afternoon showing of The First Omen this Sunday

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Horror is paradoxically both horny and unhorny compared to other movies. Horror has always existed in a counter culture, subversive kind of place so it’s always been unabashedly open with sexual stuff but because it is, it doesn’t have that level of pure barely repressed desire for sex other media goes with.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Creepypastas came up earlier and I know of two good ones: the cave one mentioned earlier and Dionaea House, which is here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20041030020221/http://www.dionaea-house.com/default.htm

Good sense of tension, keeps coy about the details, doesn't overplay its hand. (Which is what 99% of these things do.)

Most creepy pasta stuff falls flat because it’s made by people who have read actually scary creepy pasta and know it’s scary but not why it’s scary. That’s why 99.9% of it “cartoon/video game character with hyper realistic eyes that bleed”

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Got back from seeing The First Omen and it’s crazy how both it and Immaculate hit similar story beats and while both are decent I have to give the nod to Immaculate as the better movie. The twist of Margaret being one of the girls created to be the mother of the anti-Christ was so telegraphed it might as well have not been a twist at all. The twist in Immaculate of there actually being nothing supernatural actually going on worked a lot better.

If you have to see one spooky nun/religious horror film only, Immaculate would be the better option but my suggestion would to see both if you can. Considering how played out spooky nun/catholic horror felt to me, I’m kinda surprised I now have two I’d recommend so shortly in the same year.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's funny, THE FIRST OMEN is undeniably hurt by it being a prequel to anything. If it was THE NUN III I would have been more effusive in my praise.

I'm lazy about reading credits sometimes and never would have picked up on that.

It’s hurt by being a prequel and it’s hurt because the forced ending because it’s a prequel to allow for continuity doesn’t make any sense and doesn’t fit the atmosphere of the rest of the movie. The entire time the first film is happening there’s not one but three people alive who could blow the lid off the entire thing? And the apparently global spanning evil church network that monitors orphans all over the world to make their anti-christ mothers is fine with it and knows? Plus the ending gives a sense of whiplash when Margaret is suddenly this gun-toting tough final girl just doesn’t mesh at all with the rest of the film. It really felt like they were setting her up to be like the Omen version of Sarah Conner with how Brennan was talking to her

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It’s weird as hell other countries have gotten the 4K UHD blu-ray releases of X and Pearl and the US hasn’t. I’m hoping when MaXXXine drops A24 will do a complete 4K trilogy drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gonna go see Sting this weekend cause sometimes you just need a simple creature feature movie and you don’t more creature feature than a giant murderous spider