Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Splint Chesthair posted:

Edit: also none of those other “Twisted Childhood” movies beyond the Pooh sequel are going to get made, come on.

Whether they happen or not, we'll still give them a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Wasn't the actually good new Invisible Man ostensibly "Dark Universe" too?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

:laffo:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

M_Sinistrari posted:

Whether they happen or not, we'll still give them a watch.

Not me. I looked up the kills for the first Pooh movie and that poo poo was awful.

If you don’t have good kills for a slasher what are you even doing

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Technically, but they also were going to make a different Invisible Man with Johnny Depp that was officially part of it

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

By the way, if anyone has a desire to run the October Challenge for a year, by all means let us know and you can give it a whirl. It's pretty fun in it's own way, you get to really brainstorm and come up with creative challenges, and nobody gives a poo poo about prizes so you don't even really have to mess with that aside from the gang tags.

Just thought I'd throw it out there because it probably wouldn't be the worst thing for us to have at least small rotation of people who are willing to do it. That way it doesn't fall on one person's shoulders every year like it did with Fran for all that time.

ill do it

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Jedit posted:

Fall of the House of Usher (1928) just showed up. :getin:

Which one? They're both great, in completely different ways.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I’ve had to be a hype man for this movie to get people to watch it because they assume it’s just reheated IP garbage. Never had a movie make me feel a growing unease like this one by slowly panning to like an empty corner of a room. The camera work and sound design are great.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The 2020 Invisible Man movie is easily one of the best horror films released in the last 5 years in my opinion.

It doesn't get enough love because it came out right before the pandemic happened and got dropped from theatres then buried because nobody talked about anything else.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Justin Godscock posted:

The 2020 Invisible Man movie is easily one of the best horror films released in the last 5 years in my opinion.

It doesn't get enough love because it came out right before the pandemic happened and got dropped from theatres then buried because nobody talked about anything else.

My biggest problem with it was the sisters murder. It just wasn't believable that more people didn't ask questions about it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PriorMarcus posted:

My biggest problem with it was the sisters murder. It just wasn't believable that more people didn't ask questions about it.

What was there to ask. She was stabbed in the neck by a crazy person. Seems cut and dry to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Justin Godscock posted:

:yeah:

There's that, Crimes of the Future, Malignant, M3GAN, Pearl, Possessor and Titane (if that counts as horror). Those are my favorites of the 2020s so far.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Plus that movie being good proves my theory that the Invisible Man is the coolest of the Universal Monsters :colbert:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

snagged a ticket for Late Night With the Devil for a Thursday screening. Looking forward to that this week now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I've enjoyed 2020's horror films way more than 2010's horror films tbh.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Another fantastic moment in RotLD is when the hysterical kids are telling the guy about people coming out of the ground, and how there’s one of them in the warehouse across the tracks.

He immediately demands to know which warehouse, and she goes “The medical supply warehouse!”

His immediate reaction, “poo poo!!! poo poo!!! Oh, god drat it!” is priceless.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

davidspackage posted:

I'm now remembering the story about how a producer(?) came to the set, saw the footage of Lianna Quigley top- and bottomless, said like "you can't show a woman's bush on camera!", so the director told Quigley to shave off her pubic hair and reshot it. The producer saw that and went "THAT'S EVEN WORSE :argh:"

I can't help but crack up that they didn't just immediately reshoot the scene with her in panties, even though it all sounds super scuzzy.

My understanding is instead of telling her to shave they gave her some kind of modesty applique - like some kind of reverse merkin that looks like skin but actually covers you up. The producers were fine with that because technically you don't see her crotch, but the filmmakers themselves were like "now it just looks like she's shaved, or like a Barbie or something and she doesn't have genitals, this is so much weirder."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’ve had to be a hype man for this movie to get people to watch it because they assume it’s just reheated IP garbage. Never had a movie make me feel a growing unease like this one by slowly panning to like an empty corner of a room. The camera work and sound design are great.

Don’t forget Elisabeth Moss selling the gently caress out of being terrified of, like, a ladder.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Elizabeth moss probably pretended the ladder was david miscavich hit squad to get into the moment

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I've enjoyed 2020's horror films way more than 2010's horror films tbh.

ever since 2018 we've been blessed with a great horror wave honestly

Xiahou Dun posted:

Don’t forget Elisabeth Moss selling the gently caress out of being terrified of, like, a ladder.

the paint can scare is an all time moment for me, made me sit bolt upright

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Elizabeth moss probably pretended the ladder was david miscavich hit squad to get into the moment

CelticPredator working the rough chuckles today

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Another fantastic moment in RotLD is when the hysterical kids are telling the guy about people coming out of the ground, and how there’s one of them in the warehouse across the tracks.

He immediately demands to know which warehouse, and she goes “The medical supply warehouse!”

His immediate reaction, “poo poo!!! poo poo!!! Oh, god drat it!” is priceless.

Clu Gulager could really sell an expletive

CelticPredator posted:

lol

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

WeaponX posted:

Clu Gulager could really sell an expletive

lol

I didn’t even realize that’s who that was. He used to teach acting classes in my hometown!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Return of the Living Dead just has some real good yelling scenes in it. Whoever did the sound mixing did a real good job of picking out just enough dialogue while other characters are just making noise.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just figured out this weekend that Agent Spender's mom (and serial alien abductee) on the X-Files was Lambert in Alien

That poor woman has no loving luck with extraterrestrials

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gripweed posted:

God I hope Bambi: The Reckoning is insanely heavy handed and moralistic with a monster deer just annihilating hunter after hunter in a variety of ironic ways.
the hunters will pay... deerly

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The story I heard about RTOLD Graveyard dance was that she did the dance , then they were like "We can't show bush!", then they had her shave, then they reshot it and they were like "poo poo its worse", then they got a fake merkin/bottom for her so you could not see her vagina and filmed that.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Rageaholic posted:

:yeah:

There's that, Crimes of the Future, Malignant, M3GAN, Pearl, Possessor and Titane (if that counts as horror). Those are my favorites of the 2020s so far.

That's a great selection, my top 5 of the 2020s so far are probably Pearl, Godzilla Minus One, Resurrection, Censor, and Hatching. The Menu would be in there if I'm counting dark comedies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Top 5

PG(no matter what it’s still the most important movie I’ve ever seen)
Nope
Malignant
Terrifer 2
Godzilla Minus One

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Top 5 of the 2020s in no order: Godzilla Minus One, Saw X, M3GAN, Nope, When Evil Lurks.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Hollismason posted:

The story I heard about RTOLD Graveyard dance was that she did the dance , then they were like "We can't show bush!", then they had her shave, then they reshot it and they were like "poo poo its worse", then they got a fake merkin/bottom for her so you could not see her vagina and filmed that.

need one of those blade runner special editions with 7 different versions of the movie

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sono posted:

Which one? They're both great, in completely different ways.

The French feature length one, not the American short. They dropped most of the original story, which is why Luis Bunuel walked and they didn't put his name on the picture. But it looks amazing. There's shots that I'm not sure anything like was done again until the invention of Steadicam.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

mine is just Godzilla Minus One five times

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

best of the 2020's so far for me. it has been pretttttty good so far

The Empty Man
Possessor
Malignant
Nope
Terrifier 2
Barbarian
History of the Occult
Pearl
Saw X
When Evil Lurks

poo poo where do i even squeeze in Beau is Afraid to the list

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm not sure if it would make my top 10 , it probably would but Underwater is a underrated horror film of the 2020s

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've got:

The Black Phone
Pearl
They Cloned Tyrone
When Evil Lurks
X

I could do 10 but I dont want to

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's possible that Mad God is the best of the 2020s so far? I dunno but it came to mind right away. I'll be honest it hasn't been my favorite decade up to this point.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Very difficult to narrow it down to just five, so here's ten in no real order:

Titane (okay I lied this was my favorite)
Nope
Godzilla Minus One
Willy's Wonderland
Last Night In Soho
The Black Phone
M3GAN
Shiva Baby
Pearl
Terrifier 2

That's not including a whole bunch of movies I feel really fond about. The 2020s has been a really excellent horror decade already.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Fine in no particular order for the 2020s so far

Underwater
The Invisible Man
Malignant
Candyman
Mad God
Barbarian
Nope
The Menu
Evil Dead Rise
Godzilla Minus 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Barbarian
X
When Evil Lurks
Host
Relic
Possessor
Psycho Goreman
Black Phone
Deadstream
Evil Dead Rise

Out of those I think only When Evil Lurks is a solid, classic horror that can match up with the other greats of the genre. A lot of the post 2020 movies have felt underwhelming and ponderous. Malignant, Fear Street, Smile, Malum, Empty Man, et al seem like generic summer movies for teenagers. Nope, Talk to Me, M3GAN weren't for me and I don't think any of them are that scary or harrowing to me.