Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

It's safe to assume everyone in the Final Destination universe dies in a Rube Goldenberg cold-open calamity. The cold open calamities are not the result of the victims scorning death, so that just must be the way things work for everyone. When your time is up, a horn startles a chicken who lays an egg which rolls down a chute and knocks over a stick supporting a bowling ball, and 10 minutes later you're bumped into a wood chipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Darthemed posted:

F13 rankings are old and tired, ranking the Scooby-Doo movies is where it’s at now.

Mystery Incorporated is the Jason Lives of the Scooby Doo franchise.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Crescent Wrench posted:

What's the Jason Goes to Hell?

Is there an all Scrappy Doo movie where the Scooby Gang shows up in the last 10 minutes? The recent CGI movie captured the "this wasn't what I wanted" vibe.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I just accidentally discovered a terrifying horror double feature: Knock at the Cabin followed by the news.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

You should watch pee wees big adventure to investigate how much he owns

I mean, if you consider a Tim Burton movie with a haunted highway, dinosaurs and evil clowns horror.

Also, E. G. Daily must have been in a NOES movie, right?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

F13 is where my mind goes when I think of an original movie in a franchise that is disproportionately lovely compared to it's cultural awareness.

F13 is a pretty lame slasher.

F13 my be the only movie greatly improved by Me Too. Pamela Vorhees isn't the villain, it's the patriarchy. It's the horror of being a woman in the early 80's.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Nikumatic posted:

More movies just need to do the It Follows thing and embrace period ambiguity.

Except Friday the 13th. Every sequel should be a time capsule and every generation should get a Friday the 13th.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Hell House LLC. III definitely has some problems. However, horror fans should make every effort to visit the interactive theater in New York City the plot is based on, The McKittrick Hotel:

https://mckittrickhotel.com/events/sleep-no-more/#/

Sleep No More is Macbeth performed in real time inside a prohibition-era haunted house that spans two floors of an old warehouse. It's absolutely amazing and the scope is huge. You can freely explore a creepy antique dentist office, apothecary, hospital. Guests wear Venetian masks and aren't allowed to speak. As you witness the events of the play, it's as if the characters are surrounded by voyeuristic ghosts, and you're one of them.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

weekly font posted:

Okay finding out Hell House 3 cribs from Sleep No More is the first thing that’s made me want to see it

Let me talk you out of it then. In the movie version of sleep no more, the cast and crew are rank amateurs performing in a DIY haunt. I felt like I needed to come to the thread to defend Sleep No More.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Deadite posted:

I also covered the big skeleton in clear UV-reactive paint and bought some outdoor blacklight floodlights off of eBay, so my yard is a neon wonderland at night

If you put a Frosty the Snowman hat on him that would not only allow you to keep him up in December but also explain how he came to life.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Looking at my list of movies I've rated 4 stars and above alone you have Perfect Blue, Wild Zero, Audition, Misery, Nightbreed, Fire Walk With Me, The Blair Witch Project, Lost Highway, From Dusk Til Dawn, Curse, Darkman, The People Under The Stairs, Tammy & The T-Rex, and Scream, with way more just under that I'd still consider fun and memorable and worth watching. For all the guff the decade gets I really think that when it hit, it delivered. Of course, two of those are restored or director's cuts, but still.

These movies may be good, and they may be made in the 90's, but you can't have a 90's brand movie without a morph. Wishmaster, Hellraiser 3, Sleepwalkers, Lawnmower Man, Freddy's Dead and one of the Puppet Master sequels are proper 90's horror. If you don't have a morph you can still be 90's horror if you include at least one ghost who shakes their head back and forth real quick or if a sequel in your franchise goes To The City followed by a sequel that goes To Space.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

I know its stupid because its horror movies but along these lines.

At some point the sprawling conspiracy of the Saw people would be figured out and snuffed out of existence. Again, its horror, I get that we have to suspend belief that a dream demon, a revenant in a lake, an ironman psychopath that can take no damage, exist but in universe they all KINDA make sense. Final Destination death says gently caress you, I am the boss and just gets ridculous but with Saw, the further it goes on the more people in it, it would be discovered.

That was the post 9/11/Iraq War zeitgeist, feeling powerless against terrorist cells and their meticulous plans already set in motion against you. The fear that authorities can't protect you.

Warm und Fuzzy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 3, 2023

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I just want to post this ending spoiler for exorcist the believer because it made me laugh at the fact that blumhouse paid 400 million for this poo poo

the demon says he needs to choose which of the girls gets to live and which one will die, and if a choice is not made, he will kill them both. Tony yells that he chooses Katherine, and Angela flatlines. Suddenly, the demon reveals the one that was chosen would be the one who died. Katherine screams for her parents as the demon drags her to Hell, while Angela starts to breathe.||

This ending would be great if they did an 80's smash-cut-to-credits blasting grimy punk or goth metal like The Cult's Fire Woman.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

The Hausu Usher posted:

Don't watch more but check out the Unsolved Mysteries story that the Jeepers Creepers opening literally just copies wholesale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Xn-R91Ys4

No, this is the right one, with Robert Stack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkDickqE49o&t=1681s

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

The Hausu Usher posted:

It might be hard to remember what the landscape of horror was like in the early-2010's, but outside of a couple gems, it mainly sucked. Cabin in the Woods kind of summed it up and felt like a call to arms to let's get nuts.

You might be thinking of the early 00's, because the late 00's and early 10's were one of my favorite moments for horror. Netflix streaming had just become viable and I remember discovering tons of creative indie DV horror movies. Think Pontypool, Absentia, Yellowbrick Road, Grave Encounters, The Signal, House of the Devil, Lake Mungo. It was like the rulebook was thrown out and every movie was a unique experience.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Nope was a brilliant retelling of the Monkey's Paw. Did everyone pick up on when each character made their wish and what it was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

TitusGroen posted:

I"d love to hear this breakdown! Maybe I'll rewatch NOPE before checking in on the thread again...

My interpretation is that Jupe, OJ and Keke make their wish when they name the UFO. All the wishes come true, and with the same beats as the Monkey's Paw story.

It's just a theory, but it explains the TMZ guy, who along with the newscast of the missing persons is the ironic fulfillment of Jupe's wish. It also makes the Haywood Ranch's motivation more noble, because their wish is not fame or fortune, but to recover stolen promises.

The other thing that clicks for me with this theory is it reveals OJ and Keke to be unreliable narrators. They tell you they want fame and fortune, but what Keke really wants is to train the horse she was promised and what OJ really wants is to be respected at his job, and not replaced by camels (or CG).