Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
my friday the 13th rankings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Cult is also on youtube

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

same question with Koji Shiraishi

I'd go noroi -> occult -> cult

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Hollismason posted:

Upcoming movie about a Big Foot worshipping cult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D118asy-14

I'm loving there.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Beachcomber posted:

Nosferatu is a description. His name is Orlok.

the technical term is dracula. he's a dracula.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Hollismason posted:

I still can't figure out who that's suppose to be

noel gallagher

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
creep is generally well liked in this thread

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Watching a favorite, Dead & Buried, and thinking that my favorite flavor of horror might be "small town where everyone's in on it." Growing up in New England, the small coastal town as a predatory monster is completely my vibe.

my favourite is small town where something slowly takes over and turns all of its residents to its side. vampires, pod people, whatever.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
shocker is up there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dgbcPl6TxI

also fright night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgoAW7xuixE

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 20, 2023

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
the first thing that comes to mind for "investigation horror" is kolchak, the show that inspired x-files. it was two tv movies then a single season.

https://letterboxd.com/film/the-night-stalker/

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
it'll be funny if the strike extends into next year and a24 is the only studio who didn't have to massively stretch out their release schedule

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Hollismason posted:

What investigative horror should I watch next. I have 2 hours to kill this evening.

Thesis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7vSstEF_Sw

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
yeah I liked resurrection more because it's very clearly made in jeunet's style

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I have this one

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
*slasher failing to kill someone with a slap bracelet, grabs a nearby devil stick*

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
angel was pretty decent for a buffy spinoff, kinda did its own thing though it did occasionally lean toward melodrama

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 4, 2023

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
just thought of a theme for october: movies you remember the vhs cover of from browsing the video store decades ago but never actually saw

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
yeah, videotape tech was already decades old by the time most people owned a vcr. there was only like a 4 year gap between when my family got a vcr and when we got a cd player and the two felt completely different.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

my partner and I are trying to watch 31 horror movies that neither of us has seen before, which is a bit of a challenge since we're both big horror buffs but i somehow have a list of like 65 movies ready to go already.

some off the list that I'm particularly interested in are The Video Dead (1987), Blades (1989), Monster From the Ocean Floor (1954), Cellar Dweller (1988), Tumbbad (2018), Curfew (1989) and The Manitou (1978). Feel free to peep the list and tell me what else is good.

the carrier is the one that stuck with me the most, probably won't ever forget that one

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
rob zombie movies are all half a great movie, and that movie is texas chainsaw massacre 2

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
magic cop (mr. vampire 5) is the best of the sequels

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

MrMojok posted:

Id like to know who Universal/Peacock paid $400 million TO for the rights to The Exorcist

I think morgan creek picked up the rights to future movie/tv productions when they made exorcist 3, probably for very little.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

TheBizzness posted:

I just watched The Faculty for the first time, are there other good teen/highschool 90s horror movies besides Scream/I Know what you did last summer?

the craft?

for horror comedy there's buffy and idle hands

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Dawn of the Dead's got a similar issue, if I recall, the rights are owned by one of the producers who's real stingy about licensing it. Aside from that big DVD release it got in the early 2000s I don't think that movie's ever felt readily available to me. I've never once seen it on TV, either.

worse, after 3D got big in the wake of avatar that producer paid a fortune to do a 3D conversion of dawn, which of course nobody wants, so he lost his shirt on it and was holding out for some company to pay exorbitant licensing fees to recoup his losses

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

White Light posted:

......there's another horror film called Escape Room on here?

I just got done watching this one

Which one's the original and which one's the imposter? :psyduck:

neither of those is the escape room that got a sequel, which is escape room (2019)

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
the upper left corner is the garbage can

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

the one that has the biggest gulf between critical acclaim, perceived quality, and personal enjoyment, to say nothing of reprehensible or disappointing messages or themes, etc.

given present company, rob zombie's halloween 2 is the worse horror movie I've ever seen

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Doltos posted:

What are some horror movies that look bad or have a stupid title that are actually awesome like Hell House LLC or Last Shift

phantom of the paradise
tucker and dale vs. evil

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Professor Funk posted:

VHS 85…worth it? I like the VHS movies for the most part, but I feel like they exit my brain as soon as I watch them (except for that one segment from VHS 2…you know the one).

Or I could just watch When Evil Lurks.

I'd rank 85 around the middle of the vhs series, it's fine. but yes, you probably won't remember it in a year or two.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Xenomrph posted:

There’s a well-worn saying, “Funko pops suck until they make one of something you like.”

but then they take the thing you like and make it uglier. it's basically a corporate mascot cosplaying as the thing you like.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
there have been five different tupac shakur funko pops

also multiple biggie smalls and kurt cobains

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 31, 2023

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Howling III: The Marsupials
It's Alive III: Island of the Alive
Ghoulies III: Ghoulies Go to College
Piranha 3DD

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Splint Chesthair posted:

I want to say the meme-ification of Cage started when someone put a supercut of his weird inflections from “Deadfall” and “Vampire’s Kiss” on YouTube. Stuff like his character sobbing and saying “boo HOO! boo HOO!”

it was wicker man that really did it

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
after watching aliens on tv when I was 6 I dreamt that I had command over them

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Doltos posted:

What's some solid horror comedies?

Evil Dead series, Final Girls, Cabin in the Woods, Drag Me To Hell I guess, Psycho Goreman, Bodies Bodies Bodies, Happy Death Day I and II, Slither, Vicious Fun, Edgar Wright's trilogy, Get Out, Frankenhooker, From Beyond, Renfield, The Voices, Bubba Ho-Tep, Tremors, Gremlins, Critters, Behind the Mask, One Cut of the Dead, Tucker and Dale vs Evil, American Werewolf in London, What We Do In The Shadows.

What are some that I missed?

you've covered most of the best there. I'd call the first few of the following also essential and then the rest at least enjoyable enough for an eventual watch.

fright night
day of the beast
phantom of the paradise
little shop of horrors
dr. phibes
theatre of blood
zombieland
serial mom
witches of eastwick
deadstream
dead snow
dead snow 2
the revenant
detention
fido
frighteners
death becomes her
eight legged freaks
grabbers
lake placid
piranha 3D
dead heat
deathgasm
wolf cop
housebound
mom and dad
feast
severance
the cottage
infestation
dude bro party massacre
murder party
the editor
you might be the killer

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
war of the worlds is half of a classic spielberg movie

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
the japanese title is godzilla -1.0, with the -1.0 being pronounced as minus one in english.

really though somebody probably just thought rebuild of evangelion being called evangelion 1.0 was cool

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I didn't really like it, but the seasons are only 4 episodes long so it's not a huge time sink to figure out if you like it.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
there came a point in midnight mass where I started laughing out loud at the monologues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Xiahou Dun posted:

Lol.

Okay. Enjoy you bad opinion then.

You’re bad at art criticism.

we got a regular gene shalit over here