Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Imagine how there are still people who think the yuri on ice movie is happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tales of Woe posted:

zom100 isnt delayed, it had an early screening at anime expo and MAL always sets those as the show start date for some reason. same reason why it says dungeon meshi is already airing.

It's because that lets early watchers add the show to their list as watching, so they move the date back to the regular one once it passes. A bandaid solution to a hurdle created by their own system.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched all of the Slam Dunk anime in a month to prepare for the movie. The show was fine. The movie made me cry. Hard to imagine any sports anime movie can top this.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

dreams: sex with women
how he gets there: gently caress woman
difficulties: women die??? me sad :(
solution: women think like me???
hypothesis: not care women die if not think like me
yaaaaaay

lmao

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

InspectorCarbonara posted:

This is from a few pages back but would you say you have to watch the series to enjoy the movie? I just found out it's showing near me soon but then I looked up the series and there's no way I can watch 101 episodes before then.

The emotional thrust of the story is original to the movie so it largely works, but it definitely skimps on some of the character details. You probably won't understand why everyone acts the way they do, but the highs are still pretty high.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Can people find out what show you mean if they ask for things they haven't heard of and you only use a nickname instead of the real title?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

P-Mack posted:

Anyone else watching Link Click? I'm not sure why they decided this season needed a ton of long fight scenes but I guess it's kinda neat how they aren't really animated in typical anime style.

I think it's kind of a shame the whole serial murder plot has basically supplanted the main narrative because I really enjoyed the episodic little mysteries the first season brought, even if we do get a bit of that back with the photo drive a few eps in. Even ignoring the fight choreography, I do like how they're doing more atypical effects in the animation with all the "filters" and whatnot. Feels a bit Mob Psycho 100-esque.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
They already announced a new Lycoreco anime tho

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bro you can just watch it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

Budcon ftw

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You should tip more

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I want anime to look worse and be put out less frequently and I'm not kidding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hey, summer's finally over. Very average season overall, which I suppose is a step up from spring. Are three of these just the same review, who can say.

Undead Girl Murder Farce: Cool visual flair, but the quality of the mystery writing really fell off after the first arc. I especially don't care for how much of the runtime is taken up by flashy fight scenes with Moriarty and his league of supervillains, with every encounter amounting to nothing much more than pumping our body count numbers up a bit and then parting with an amicable farewell. Effectively, it's really only the first story of three that I enjoyed without any major reservations, and it's carrying real hard in my overall feelings on the show by the end. Kind of disappointing.

Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War - The Separation: I'm not actually done watching this season yet, but I don't think that matters. Don't really care to comment on the writing this season, because yup, series of fights in the middle of a long shounen arc, but man, I love that OP. It's cute reframing everyone and everything that happens through the lens of a casual setting. I wish that anime was real.

https://files.catbox.moe/5z7xv8.webm

Cardfight!! Vanguard: will+Dress S3: Honestly all of the Overdress anime has had issues with building proper character arcs while working in the space of discrete one cour seasons, and this season has fumbled the hardest with it. We're even strictly worse compared to last season at portraying the antagonists as actual threat because any time we lose people to their team we immediately get them back the next episode. We do get some fun individual eps and still the best animation Vanguard's ever had at least. Shout out to most successful vanguard meme song Breaking the Rock. WTB 1 Full Blast SEC. 😔

BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!!: I dunno, man. What got me on the MyGO train to begin with was Anon playing the drama version of the straight man for the group, cutting right through the teenage angst quagmire. But that quickly gives way when she becomes part of the quagmire and the whole thing is just an unrelentingly tense atmosphere for a good stretch of episodes. Which is fine, sure, I love my melodrama, but the thing that sinks it for me is that I don't think the thing they're all striving towards is worth pursuing. It's understandable why they'd all want to be in a band; it exists as both a source of community and a creative outlet. But this band in particular is plagued with communication issues and toxicity, and only clung on to because they're teenagers and don't know anything better. It's so much effort to salvage this poisoned well, and I don't think it's worth it. I wish we delved more into any of our main cast's issues. The glimpses we get serve little more than as a game advertisement, and the way they resolve their big band breakup drama feels like it's destined to happen again in the near future. There's potential for a really good story here if it got to have a more gradual setup and payoff, but considering the name change with season two, I don't really have much faith in that happening in anime form.

Also, can the Bang Dream girls stop having their entire bands chime in on every song? It makes every group sound the same. I should not be thinking about Popipa when Ave Mujica is trying to do their regal gothic aesthetic.

Link Click S2: While the creativity in the visual metaphors is noticeably improved, the narrative is real disappointing as a follow-up to the first season. The main thing I liked from this series was the episodic structure of the narrative, where we would follow the mystery of the week to a conclusion that turns our assumptions on their head and learn a little more about empathy along the way. We do get a little bit of that in this season, but the whole thing just being about chasing down our serial killer and cool fight scenes sure makes things drag. The motivating violence being a product of jealous abusive men is also a real dull direction to go with. I didn't come here for action, man.

Bungo Stray Dogs S5: Still think this whole setup is dumb as hell and our antagonist is the stupidest man on Earth, but the scene where we bribed a vampire with an iPod was really funny, so who's to say if this season was good or bad. (Please go back to the episodic adventures.)

Yohane the Perihelion: Feel like we took the worst parts of Love Live anime (bloated cast who does nothing, allergy to drama persisting more than five minutes) and made them worse because there's nothing going on to mask the dull parts. Sunshine S1 is the one Love Live anime season I like with no big caveats, and boy did this show make me question how much I liked Aqours.